Mbari Executive Makes FALSE Claim Of ...
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
DMB

Salinas, CA

#55 Jan 11, 2011
I live in Monterey Bay, and I would really like it if MBARI had this guy they are talking about post the link to his worlds record deepest working dive in a JIM suit! Then we can all be proud of this worlds record holder being local, and it would certainly be a feather in MBARIs cap!
Investigating MBARI

Los Angeles, CA

#56 Jan 11, 2011
DMB wrote:
I live in Monterey Bay, and I would really like it if MBARI had this guy they are talking about post the link to his worlds record deepest working dive in a JIM suit! Then we can all be proud of this worlds record holder being local, and it would certainly be a feather in MBARIs cap!
PLEASE DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH WHILE WAITING
dubious

Monterey, CA

#57 Jul 19, 2012
THERE ARE NO FEMALE NAVY SEALS - what an idiot claim you make on your own.
Police Woman In East LA wrote:
I just got off police duty and read this. I use to be a diver and a female Navy Seal. This makes me SICK to my stomache that some worthless guy tries to claim he did what a WOMAN actually is TITLED TO!
SYLVIA EARLE, NOT STEVE ETCHEMENDY did the DEEPEST WORKING DIVE in a JIM suit!!!!!!
OH MY GODDDDDD!!!! IF MBARI does not FIRE this loser JERK off, I am going to ORGANIZE AND PICKETT outside their HQ with a LOT of WOMEN!!!! This is
BS!!!!!!!!
karl moore

Basildon, UK

#58 Jul 19, 2012
i have recently been given a scanned copy of a magazine called oceanear from about 1976
V.I.P. VISIT
Tony Moore, who made one of the
world-record-breaking dives (1440 feet)
in JIM off Valencia, Spain, last December,
was in Santa Barbara recently with
his partner Rudy Sturgeon and Walt
Thompson to help mobilize the rig
Aleutian Key for removal from Port
Hueneme, California, to Alaska.
Ron Sirianni, who runs the shop in
Oceaneering's West Coast Division,
and who always wears a thinking cap,
put Tony in a car and drove him the six
miles to Goleta for a meeting with your
editor, who was flattered by this social
courtesy. You see, magazine editors
live entirely different lives from deepsea,
world-record-breaking divers, and
we don't get much of a chance to
fraternize with them.
We've never met a finer person than
Tony Moore. He is a modest, unassuming,
courteous, and friendly man.
He is the pineapple of politeness. We
still say that you can always tellhow big
a man is by how small he pretends to be.
Of course we asked him what it was
like at 1440 feet. You want to guess his
answer? That's right. "Dark and lonely."
Thank 9ou, Tony, for a happy
Sunday afternoon. Stay in touch.
TONY
this was emailed to me a an old work colleague of my dads,i got the original depth wrong
SBBravo

Glasgow, UK

#59 Nov 27, 2015
Investigator Of Mbari wrote:
Steve Etchemendy, an executive with the non profit organization MBARI,whose job title is, "Director of Marine Operations", has claimed for years that he is the WORLDS RECORD HOLDER for the deepest working dive in an Atmospheric Diving Suit, When in FACT, the record belongs to a WOMAN, named Sylvia Earle, who set the Worlds Record in 1979 at 1250 feet. Please see this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIM_suit
Here is Steve Etchemedy's link FALSELY CLAIMING THE WORLDS RECORD!!
http://www.mbari.org/staff/etst/Default2.htm
I think this is just another one of MBARIs disgraces, and it shows how demeaning they are to WOMEN, to try to take Sylvia's Glory away from her.
How do YOU feel about somebody that would stoop so LOW to make a FALSE claim such as this?
Not to get in the way of your ill-informed rant or anything, but I can certainly testify to the fact that Sylvia Earle does not hold any sort of depth record for atmospheric diving. The deepest atmospheric dives to date were carried out by WASP operators from Oceaneering, making working dives (not Earle's stunt) in the Gulf of Mexico to 2,100 feet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hartnell Janitors Must Clean Up Behavior by Rev... Jun 23 Reverend Patryse ... 1
(WORKING LINK HERE) BITCH DONALD: Go, Bitch, Go... Jun 23 Reverend Patryse ... 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? (Oct '14) Jun 21 dig 55
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Jun 13 Joel 72,030
Where are the communal showers in Monterey? May '16 Jeremy 2
News Monterey working to prohibit alcohol, without a... May '16 DNTs 1
Review: Asian Filipino Market (Oct '12) May '16 amadeo urgonamiko 4

Monterey Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monterey Mortgages