|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2010

Judged:

Prunezilla wrote:
Good grief people! You want to fire him? How do you know for sure anyway. I did read Sylvia Earle made the "Women's record" for that particular kind of dive. Then another website listed her as the "World's record" for the same dive. So which one is correct? The internet is full of inconsistencies. There are all kinds of dives. Anyway...he sure doesn't seem like the type of person that would lie. I wouldn't be so quick to rush to judgment. Call him up and ask him about it. His number is listed on the MBARI website. You all sound so terribly upset about it - Geez! He's done so many other things and is actually very well qualified to do what he does.
Merry Christmas!
I guess you have not clicked on some of the other links that involve Steve Etchemendy, Director Of Marine Operations and Designated Person. In addition to Steve's Job of TRYING to Hire COMPETANT persons to operate MBARIs Vessels, the Designated Person IS REQUIRED BY LAW to notify the proper authorities when their ships run aground. If you click on THIS US Coast Guard link, you can see Steve FAILED to make proper notifications in 2 GROUNDINGS of the Western Flyer. Time is of the essence when a ship goes aground, and the consequences can be DEVASTATING to marine and human life. This making a flase claim of holding the worlds record is just another red flag and a cry for help.
Type in "Western Flyer" Under Involved Vessel. I for one am GLAD to see someone investigating MBARI and leaking this important information. The NERVE of MBARI to preach saving the environment then to have employees ignoring the LAWS.
LA Woman

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2010

Baked In Amsterdam

Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2010

Judged:

Prunezilla wrote:
Good grief people! You want to fire him? How do you know for sure anyway. I did read Sylvia Earle made the "Women's record" for that particular kind of dive. Then another website listed her as the "World's record" for the same dive. So which one is correct? The internet is full of inconsistencies. There are all kinds of dives. Anyway...he sure doesn't seem like the type of person that would lie. I wouldn't be so quick to rush to judgment. Call him up and ask him about it. His number is listed on the MBARI website. You all sound so terribly upset about it - Geez! He's done so many other things and is actually very well qualified to do what he does.
Merry Christmas!
OH MY GODD!!! HAHAHAHA I used to work at MBARI, and I just read your statement..."he sure doesn't seem like the type of person that would lie" DUDE,..... You DONT KNOW STEVE ETCHEMENDY!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I NEVER KNOW WHAT i WILL SEE ON Topix. well back to getting baked.HAHAHAHAHAHA That was a funny one, makes me wonder what YOU are smoking over there in Prunetucky
Aquarium Volunteer

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2010

Judged:

Prunezilla wrote:
Merry Christmas!
I admire people like the wiki leaks guy that let secrets leak out that may affect the general population. What I have been reading about MBARI fascinates me, as I HAVE been checking everything out. YOU, PRUNEZILLA are making statements to POOH POOH what the HISTORY books say. I looked it up in Guiness. WHAT is your motive to cast doubt on Mr. Etchemendys apparent false statement? And where is the PROOF he did the worlds record deepest ADS dive? I ddnt really care before, BUT NOW I DO, as I work at the aquarium. Please BACK UP YOUR STATEMNTS or else DONT make them and try to DECIEVE people. If I were on a jury, I would have to say in all fairness,with a preponderance of given evidence, Sylvia Earle is the Record Holder, And Steve Etchemendy commited PERJURY on His RESUME. Case Closed.
Brenda W

Piscataway, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2010

Judged:

Prunezilla wrote:
Merry Christmas!
So okay, we like call this guy up, and then hes on the phone, and then he tells us yup,I done the deepest dive in a dive suit, yup, ok then thanks for calling. What DO YOU THINK EVERYONE IS AS GULLIBLE AS YOU?? Show THE PROOF!!! Should not be hard to do! After all when you SET a worlds record, you USUALLY keep at least maybe a news article??? WHAT A BUNCH OF BS!!!!!!!!
fishing in oregon

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2010

Judged:

so what?? who cares what somebody put on there resume or whatever. what does it reely change about anything? mbari is a big bucks outfit and they r goin to do what they want to do anyway with the people they want to hire and do it with. who reads this stupid dribble here anyway. i was just bored waiting for a storm to blow thru. bfd
Professor Emeritus

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2010

Judged:

fishing in oregon wrote:
so what?? who cares what somebody put on there resume or whatever. what does it reely change about anything? mbari is a big bucks outfit and they r goin to do what they want to do anyway with the people they want to hire and do it with. who reads this stupid dribble here anyway. i was just bored waiting for a storm to blow thru. bfd
It is very important that people in the public eye that control the lives of others be held accountable for what they say and do.
This Etchemendy guy has been cited by the US Coast guard for failing to report the groundings of his companies ships by the incompetant captains he hired. How despicable. Now he is caught lying on his resume about his qualifications. I think someone should really take a hard look into his background, as this reminds me of the instructor at DLI that was a fraud.
Crystal May

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2010

Judged:

Amelia Kunart wrote:
I checked out this story, and its TRUE!! This is VERY upsetting to me. Mbari is suppose to be this honorable fine upstanding organization, and you have some small manager, who has to make up some story to inflate his EGO. When in FACT, its a WOMAN who holds the worlds record that STEVE LIED about!!! HMMPPPHHHH. I am VERY upset. Well, JULIE PACKARD.... are you going to FIRE THIS LIAR?????
I was wondering the same thing, what the deal is to let garbage fester on your property
arturro g

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2010

Judged:

maybe this guy has something on julie packard
Sarah G

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2010

Judged:

I Know who this steve etchemendy guy is. when i read this story i went in my bathroom and vomited. i know of something he did that resulted in the personal loss of a life of someone i loved dearly. in my opinion, steve etchemendy is in the same class as the bottomm feeders that the brain dead people that hired him study. i hope someday that someone sues this organization and julie packard for at least a billion dollars
SYLVIA EARLE

Providence, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

An Employee Of MBARI emailed this article to me. I am in shock, that a member of that institute had the gall to make up such an outraeous story. I feel very much plagaristacally molested, perhaps even raped. I am arranging a meeting with Julie Packard to discuss this incident with her.
Retired Marine Biologist

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

Judged:

Sarah G wrote:
I Know who this steve etchemendy guy is. when i read this story i went in my bathroom and vomited. i know of something he did that resulted in the personal loss of a life of someone i loved dearly. in my opinion, steve etchemendy is in the same class as the bottomm feeders that the brain dead people that hired him study. i hope someday that someone sues this organization and julie packard for at least a billion dollars
according to public records on non profit organizations, some guy named chris scholin

http://www.mbari.org/news/news_releases/2009/...

is the CEO, so HE is resposible for his incompetant underlings. Julie Packard should sack his A S S also
Ocean View

Pacific Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2010

Judged:

I'm a bit confused about this. Between "Navy Diver Sets Record with 2,000 foot dive" in an ADS in 2006 and the Sylvia Earle Wikipedia entry where it says "she made an open-ocean JIM suit dive, setting a women's depth record of 1250 feet (381m)" in 1979, I feel as if this discussion is missing some documentation. I couldn't find anything on the GuinnessWorldRecords site, so perhaps someone else can provide a resource.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,1088...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Earle
Miriam T

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2010

Judged:

I just read this article, and i think all that needs to be done to clear it up is for that steve e. guy provide a link to his recorded worlds record. case closed. simple, right????? that is IF there is a world record by him, which seems NOT to be the case from what I have been reading
CJH

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2011

Judged:

STEVE ETCHEMENDY?????? you need say NO MORE. i use to have an involvement with mbari, but that was before i got stabbed in the back

Since: Jan 11

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2011

Judged:

its just a little white lie, so what? its not like he murdered anyone.i dont think he has anyway.
Broken Glass

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2011

Judged:

this all sounds correct, as he is the archetypal mbari employee
BABS T

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2011

Judged:

i read this before but i just had to come back and see the link to his worlds record. i see there isnt one. nuff said
Aquaman

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2011

Judged:

BABS T wrote:
i read this before but i just had to come back and see the link to his worlds record. i see there isnt one. nuff said
that is why i came back here. i just wanted to see if there is a link to his record. i guess this posting IS true after all. what a chode
KLT

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2011

Judged:

Ocean View wrote:
I'm a bit confused about this. Between "Navy Diver Sets Record with 2,000 foot dive" in an ADS in 2006 and the Sylvia Earle Wikipedia entry where it says "she made an open-ocean JIM suit dive, setting a women's depth record of 1250 feet (381m)" in 1979, I feel as if this discussion is missing some documentation. I couldn't find anything on the GuinnessWorldRecords site, so perhaps someone else can provide a resource.
http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,1088...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Earle
I guess you did not read the military article above that YOU POSTED that references the NEW world record with a 2,000 foot dive. It states,

"Developed by OceanWorks International from Vancouver, British Columbia, the Hardsuit 2000 was designed to withstand underwater pressure at 2,000 feet. Current models have only been able to go down as far as 1,200 feet."Jackson said,I was just a guy TIED TO A ROPE. It was the ADS team that made it all possible. They were incredible.

There are NO other records between Sylvia Earle who maxed out the old possible ADS depth at 1250 with her working dive where she detached from a rope and walked around the sea floor, and this dive at 2000 feet. However, as the article states,technically, this isnt really a "working" dive, as the guy was just hanging on a rope, and didnt do anything, but still is a new worlds record. But I have searched high and low and these are the only 2 deepest dives I can find also. There are NO DIVES recorded between Sylvia Earles dive in 1979, and this dive.

For someone to have claimed the deepest working dive in an ADS suit after 1979 other than these two people would be FALSE in my opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of44
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Monterey Discussions

Search the Monterey Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 2 hr as I was saying 200,244
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 hr Frijoles 68,177
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 14 hr PMS will get yeah 7,821
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 19 hr all doned in 4,864
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Sat The right is wrong 2,225
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Jul 11 This topics peaked 15,911
Ask Dr. Gott: Shingles pain difficult to contro... (May '09) Jun 27 William 4
•••
•••
•••
Monterey Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••