Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2010

Judged:

Steve Etchemendy, an executive with the non profit organization MBARI,whose job title is, "Director of Marine Operations", has claimed for years that he is the WORLDS RECORD HOLDER for the deepest working dive in an Atmospheric Diving Suit, When in FACT, the record belongs to a WOMAN, named Sylvia Earle, who set the Worlds Record in 1979 at 1250 feet. Please see this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIM_suit

Here is Steve Etchemedy's link FALSELY CLAIMING THE WORLDS RECORD!!

http://www.mbari.org/staff/etst/Default2.htm

I think this is just another one of MBARIs disgraces, and it shows how demeaning they are to WOMEN, to try to take Sylvia's Glory away from her.

How do YOU feel about somebody that would stoop so LOW to make a FALSE claim such as this?
Mary Trancas

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

As a woman AND a diver, AND a FEMINIST, I just HATE it that some guy would make up a story that would build up his limp ego, and DIS a woman at the same time! TAR AND FEATHER STEVE, and send him to the island of NOW!!!
Amelia Kunart

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

I checked out this story, and its TRUE!! This is VERY upsetting to me. Mbari is suppose to be this honorable fine upstanding organization, and you have some small manager, who has to make up some story to inflate his EGO. When in FACT, its a WOMAN who holds the worlds record that STEVE LIED about!!! HMMPPPHHHH. I am VERY upset. Well, JULIE PACKARD.... are you going to FIRE THIS LIAR?????
Wendy Volley Ball Player

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

This is OUTRAGEOUS!!. I am DISGUSTED that Mbari actually lets some guy like this that makes claims that completely ignores a WOMAN who REALLY did
what he LIED ABOUT, to walk their halls??????
COME ON JULIE AND BORD OF GOVERNORS!!!
If you dont fire this "STEVE" character, you have lost the REST of your credibility in the eyes of the scientific community!
Police Woman In East LA

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

I just got off police duty and read this. I use to be a diver and a female Navy Seal. This makes me SICK to my stomache that some worthless guy tries to claim he did what a WOMAN actually is TITLED TO!
SYLVIA EARLE, NOT STEVE ETCHEMENDY did the DEEPEST WORKING DIVE in a JIM suit!!!!!!
OH MY GODDDDDD!!!! IF MBARI does not FIRE this loser JERK off, I am going to ORGANIZE AND PICKETT outside their HQ with a LOT of WOMEN!!!! This is
BS!!!!!!!!
Baked In Amstedam

Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

WOW! Hey, I just woke up and LEGALLY smoked some tasty buds here at my local cafe in Amsterdam. I turns on my laptop, start searching Topix, and WHOA! Another story about Mbari??? Haha. Come on man. I used to work there, and now I am reading about Etchemendy made up some story about HE DID THE DEEPEST DIVE??? I just dont know what to say! I am SPEECHLESS!! I am laughing SO hard right now, even the OTHER stoners think im too stoned! Steve, Dude, You know who I am. Why did you come up with that story? HAHAHAH. I would have rather to have claimed to have invented the internet. Good luck etch, i want to see how you get out of that one! hahahaha
dOgBErt rOSco

Moss Landing, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Vote with your dollar$.
MBARI is funded by HP.
Stop buying there crap.
You can choose.
Unless your an overeducated white male chances
are you cant get there clumsy operating system to work anyway.
James K Polk

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

I checked this story out. I found it real interesting, and no, I CANT find his name associated with ANY record ADS dives. I wonder why someone would stick it on their resume then put it on the internet??? Did he think no one is ever going to check?
karl moore

Worcester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

the guy is full of bullshine
my dad held the record in a jim suit
he recovered a dropped tv cable off spain in about 1976,his name is tony moore
he was ads director west coast of oceaneering based in santa barbara.
if i remember right the company that had all of the jim suits was called dhb construction based in alton hampshire (uk) they were then brought out by oceaneering around 1976 ish.
karl moore

Worcester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

sorry i posted too quickly,at my dads house there was a white glass polar bear mounted on a block that was given to about 6 blokes who went under the ice in a jim suit.
after my dad died a few thing went missing from his house,this polar bear was one of them.
he was also involved in the making of the james bond film (for your eyes only)which he got a bonus of 25 a day extra for.
as kids we used to run riot at his workshop and my claim to fame is that i painted the time clock red that roger moore placed on the jim suit that exploded in the film
DWP

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

Typical BS from that organization, David Packard was robbed by those fools.
Mary Ellen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2010

Judged:

karl moore wrote:
the guy is full of bullshine
my dad held the record in a jim suit
he recovered a dropped tv cable off spain in about 1976,his name is tony moore
he was ads director west coast of oceaneering based in santa barbara.
if i remember right the company that had all of the jim suits was called dhb construction based in alton hampshire (uk) they were then brought out by oceaneering around 1976 ish.
Thank You for sharing that with us. Your dad was a REAL hero, not some guy in an office twiddling his thumbs, making up stories about himself.
Broken Glass

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2010

Judged:

DWP wrote:
Typical BS from that organization, David Packard was robbed by those fools.
I know ALL to well!! Right YOU are sir!!
Riot Gurrl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2010

Judged:

His EGO is obviously bigger than his you know what! TEE HEE TEE HEE.
Secretariat A L

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2010

Judged:

A professional, such as an executive, or a lawyer,
has learned on the job how to come up with a new lie to try and invalidate the old lie.
Brent T

Seaside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2010

Judged:

What a CHODE!
Mron Swolb Evets

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2010

Judged:

This is the SAME Steve Etchemendy in charge Of Their Marine Operations Department at NBARI. Their Research Vessel Western Flyer has had an amazing FOUR recorded GROUNDINGS recently, with another NEAR MISS in March of this year. Type Western Flyer in this link under INVOLVED VESSEL.

http://cgmix.uscg.mil/IIR/IIRSearch.aspx

In MY OPINION, All I can say is that the chairman of the board, JULIE PACKARD must be completely CLULESS, to allow this guy to keep his job. MBARIs Western Flyer is an ECOLOGICAL DISASTER waiting to happen!
Unemployed In Monterey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2010

Judged:

Sylvia Earle should SUE MBARI and STEVE ETCHEMENDY for SLANDER AND LIBLE. I will try to find her and let her know of this D Bag
ANGRY BERNARD

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2010

Judged:

Sylvia Earle: An American Hero
Steve Etchemendy: F A T LYING ZERO

Since: Dec 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2010

Judged:

Good grief people! You want to fire him? How do you know for sure anyway. I did read Sylvia Earle made the "Women's record" for that particular kind of dive. Then another website listed her as the "World's record" for the same dive. So which one is correct? The internet is full of inconsistencies. There are all kinds of dives. Anyway...he sure doesn't seem like the type of person that would lie. I wouldn't be so quick to rush to judgment. Call him up and ask him about it. His number is listed on the MBARI website. You all sound so terribly upset about it - Geez! He's done so many other things and is actually very well qualified to do what he does.
Merry Christmas!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••