Va. man charged with killing hawk to help squirrel

For a Virginia doctor, squirrels are a man's best friend, too. Thomas Shepler, a hand surgeon, shot a hawk to death in his backyard when he said the bird was eyeing a young squirrel that he and his wife had ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
JJ Wilson

Hampton, VA

#21 Feb 10, 2009
Don't mind me. I talk out of my rear end anyway.
Communist Clam wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful there, you don't want to turn this topic into some gun control debate.
If there were no guns, that hawk would be alive today.
birdman

Columbus, OH

#22 Feb 10, 2009
if that squirrel is not a legal pet of his or registered to him as a pet then he has no right to kill the hawk. period. he also is not authorized to hunt hawk where he was. so that is also another factor of this case. though i think that the case is a really petty it should be treated as such, but he still is in the wrong.
U Need 2 Read First

Hampton, VA

#23 Feb 10, 2009
Hate Hawks wrote:
Did he shoot the bird?
Am I the only one that thinks this poor person is a idiot? Did you not read the story before you responded....it said he shot the hawk to death, so you tell me...did he shoot the hawk? duh
Eagle1

West Point, VA

#24 Feb 10, 2009
Bea wrote:
Well,,, there should be exceptions when trying to protect one's pet... no matter what the pet is... that would be different than the outright searching and hunting down of a hawk... they are pretty plentiful and not endangered...
Hmmm... the squirrel was his pet? Did he have a permit to keep a wild animal as a pet? Hawks are plentiful? And squirrels are..?
Clam killer

Hampton, VA

#25 Feb 10, 2009
Shoulda been a street thug he got.
Ocean View

San Jose, CA

#26 Feb 10, 2009
Squirrels are vegetarians. Hawks are carnivors. People are omnivors. I sure hope that the squirrels aren't armed if I pick up their favorite nut.
JJ Wilson

Hampton, VA

#27 Feb 11, 2009
Communist Clam wrote:
<quoted text>
Careful there, you don't want to turn this topic into some gun control debate.
If there were no guns, that hawk would be alive today.
Not if the doctor could wield a sling shot, the hawk would still be dead AND the upside is the doctor wouldn't have been arrested! Perhaps he should trade in the shot gun for a sling shot!
JJ Wilson

Hampton, VA

#28 Feb 11, 2009
JJ Wilson wrote:
Don't mind me. I talk out of my rear end anyway. <quoted text>
I never get tired of the flattery! Keep imitating me, I LOVE IT! You do know by the simple fact you see fit to first read my post, then pretend to be me, that you are giving me exactly what I like. ATTENTION!
So I just want to think you, my imitator and admirer!:)And by all means.....Keep it up!
JJ Wilson

Hampton, VA

#29 Feb 11, 2009
birdman wrote:
if that squirrel is not a legal pet of his or registered to him as a pet then he has no right to kill the hawk. period. he also is not authorized to hunt hawk where he was. so that is also another factor of this case. though i think that the case is a really petty it should be treated as such, but he still is in the wrong.
Hey birdie, even if the squirrel was registered as a pet (? LOL!) he still couldn't shoot the hawk. He didn't get arrested for killing a hawk, he got arrested for discharging a firearm in a residential area! So even if a gerbil was attacking his beloved (registered) chiwawa, you still can't shoot it in your yard!
ChronicRelief

Hampton, VA

#30 Feb 11, 2009
Get in touch with Lennie Routten of the Hampton School Board. He got arrested for blowing away his neighbor's pet Pot-Belly Pig with a .357 magnum in his backyard. He got away with it, get the same lawyer (and hopefully the same judge).

Then run for the schoolboard!
Drea

AOL

#31 Jan 14, 2011
Bea wrote:
Well,,, there should be exceptions when trying to protect one's pet... no matter what the pet is... that would be different than the outright searching and hunting down of a hawk... they are pretty plentiful and not endangered...
I agree.....if it comes to protecting my pets I would have killed the stupid bird too......hate those hawks......
Uncle Larry

Yorktown, VA

#32 Jan 14, 2011
Bea wrote:
it's an old post to respond but...we have had a hawk in our area for over 2 years. I am 43 and for the first time in my life, I saw it swoop down on a squirl. It suffocates it first, then flys off with it.
I walk a small yorkie dog without a leash in our large, fencend in area. I always carry my jennings 9MM just in case the basterd comes down outa the sky. I keep the safety OFF and am ready to watch him explode. Damn hawk.
Troll Patrol

Bumpass, VA

#33 Jan 21, 2011
I feed the squirrels in my yard peanuts, handfuls of them. I fatten the little bastards up as much as I can, so I can watch from my back porch as the red tailed hawks swoop in and takes out those damn tree rats. Little asses are always digging up my yard and tearing up my flower beds. It's fun watching the hawks put the squeeze of death on them, watching his tallons squeeze harder and start twisting, hearing the squirrels bones break and crumble under the grip...it's cool as shit...purest form of nature. Last summer I watched a Bald Eagle try to capture my neighbors cat, it was comical, that cat was running for his life. It escaped but not without wearing a few battle scars. was hoping the Eagle won, was getting tired of seeing paw prints on my cars!!!
Rocky Racoon

Parksley, VA

#34 Jan 21, 2011
I'm siding with the squirrels.
Troll Patrol

Bumpass, VA

#35 Jan 22, 2011
Rocky Racoon wrote:
I'm siding with the squirrels.
That's because you like sucking and eating squirrel nuts. SICKO!
Goodwoman

Wyalusing, PA

#36 Feb 28, 2011
If i have " pets", as the name indicates : "pets", i take care of them of course.* I found out crows chase hawks and i saw crows flying behind hawks. I needed that because a hawk did kill 4 birds in 2 days. It was horrible to see the hawk taking the blue jay, then, in a tree, the hawk did start the ugly show and i did have to hear for minutes that blue jay, "craying"?, "screamming"? "complaning" ?
while that hawk "slowly" did.. what he did .. Is super terrible.

I did buy bird food with corn, the crows came, all kind of birds eat together and i do not have hawks anymore.
Vienna Resident

AOL

#38 Mar 6, 2011
This guy is wacky. The hawk was shot in downtown residental area near a commercial area. It took place within a block or two of the Vienna Police Station.]

Firstly, it is illegal to discharge a gun or bow and arrow withing the town limits. Secondly, it is illegal to harbor wild animals in Virginia without a special permit.

Can anyone enlighten us on the punishment meted out to this character?
vienna resident

AOL

#39 Aug 3, 2011
JJ Wilson wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if the doctor could wield a sling shot, the hawk would still be dead AND the upside is the doctor wouldn't have been arrested! Perhaps he should trade in the shot gun for a sling shot!
Not true about the sling shot. I heard of a case of a person arrested for throwing a rock at a frog without have a hunting licence.
YahYahYah

Martinsville, VA

#40 Jan 22, 2014
I live in the woods and I rarely see any small creatures anymore, like chipmunks, small birds, lizards, frogs/toads and turtles. I do see a bunch of hawks circling in the air. The few turtles I came across had their shells cracked, like they had been dropped. I friggen hate a hawk. I think the protection on them should be lifted. They are everywhere and are taking over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 hr L Morales 71,257
Kristen Scannell Saratoga Springs NY Adds New H... Dec 23 Kristen Scannell ... 2
Carmel River diverted to allow dam removal, pre... Dec 16 Clint 1
Calif. cop may be fired for giving suicidal stu... Dec 13 John Smith 1
Who do you think is the MOST corrupt Monterey C... Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 5
Help! In need of opiates preferably boi Dec 5 Njp9080 1

Freeze Warning for Monterey County was issued at December 26 at 2:34PM PST

Monterey Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Monterey News, Events & Info