Va. man charged with killing hawk to help squirrel

For a Virginia doctor, squirrels are a man's best friend, too. Thomas Shepler, a hand surgeon, shot a hawk to death in his backyard when he said the bird was eyeing a young squirrel that he and his wife had ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bea

Watseka, IL

#1 Feb 10, 2009
Well,,, there should be exceptions when trying to protect one's pet... no matter what the pet is... that would be different than the outright searching and hunting down of a hawk... they are pretty plentiful and not endangered...
Hate Pets

Newport News, VA

#2 Feb 10, 2009
Bea wrote:
Well,,, there should be exceptions when trying to protect one's pet... no matter what the pet is... that would be different than the outright searching and hunting down of a hawk... they are pretty plentiful and not endangered...
He should suffer in jail.
Shoot to Kill

Tampa, FL

#3 Feb 10, 2009
Bea wrote:
Well,,, there should be exceptions when trying to protect one's pet... no matter what the pet is...

Well,,,there should be exceptions when trying to protect one's family... So if someone attempts to harm my family, I just shoot them dead. Some people elevate their pets to family members. No, I am not comparing oranges and apples. If ANYTHING disturbs your way of thinking, just kill IT.
MARTHA

Newport News, VA

#4 Feb 10, 2009
Shoot to Kill wrote:
Bea wrote:
Well,,, there should be exceptions when trying to protect one's pet... no matter what the pet is...
Well,,,there should be exceptions when trying to protect one's family... So if someone attempts to harm my family, I just shoot them dead. Some people elevate their pets to family members. No, I am not comparing oranges and apples. If ANYTHING disturbs your way of thinking, just kill IT.
What in the world are you talking about? You must have gotten lost in the sauce because your remarks don't relate to our discussion. Take a nap.
Communist Clam

United States

#5 Feb 10, 2009
Squirrels are rats with fluffy tails.

Since: Dec 08

United States

#6 Feb 10, 2009
The doc should just let nature take its' course.

Since: Jan 09

York Pa

#7 Feb 10, 2009
Communist Clam wrote:
Squirrels are rats with fluffy tails.
Tree Rats
JJ Wilson

San Francisco, CA

#8 Feb 10, 2009
Sevantish wrote:
The doc should just let nature take its' course.
It did! The highest ranking member (the human) killed the hawk. Nature took it's course!

Since: Dec 08

United States

#9 Feb 10, 2009
JJ Wilson wrote:
<quoted text>
It did! The highest ranking member (the human) killed the hawk. Nature took it's course!
I'll give you that. But hawks are cool. Rodents aren't cool unless they can sing.
JJ Wilson

San Francisco, CA

#10 Feb 10, 2009
Sevantish wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll give you that. But hawks are cool. Rodents aren't cool unless they can sing.
That's perfectly fine in your "kingdom," however the doctor felt differently about his "kingdom." He raised, befriended and was partial to the squirrel. So he "took course" with the hawk and protected his little squirrel buddy! I'm ok with it......
Disconnected

Tampa, FL

#11 Feb 10, 2009
MARTHA wrote:
<quoted text>What in the world are you talking about? You must have gotten lost in the sauce because your remarks don't relate to our discussion. Take a nap.
Love to hair-a$$ idiots like you. Martha, exactly where does "your" DISCUSSION appear???
Communist Clam

United States

#12 Feb 10, 2009
JJ Wilson wrote:
<quoted text>
That's perfectly fine in your "kingdom," however the doctor felt differently about his "kingdom." He raised, befriended and was partial to the squirrel. So he "took course" with the hawk and protected his little squirrel buddy! I'm ok with it......
It's a good thing an armed birdwatcher wasn't nearby while the good doctor was taking aim.....
Hate Hawks

Virginia Beach, VA

#13 Feb 10, 2009
Did he shoot the bird?
JJ Wilson

San Francisco, CA

#14 Feb 10, 2009
Communist Clam wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a good thing an armed birdwatcher wasn't nearby while the good doctor was taking aim.....
I guess it's also a good thing there weren't any armed watchers of armed birdwatchers looking for hawk killers that are protecting squirrels, near by as well!
Communist Clam

United States

#15 Feb 10, 2009
JJ Wilson wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess it's also a good thing there weren't any armed watchers of armed birdwatchers looking for hawk killers that are protecting squirrels, near by as well!
Careful there, you don't want to turn this topic into some gun control debate.

If there were no guns, that hawk would be alive today.
Bird Blown Up

Tampa, FL

#16 Feb 10, 2009
Hate Hawks wrote:
Did he shoot the bird?
Headline: Va. man charged with killing hawk to help squirrel.

No, he stuck a straw up the hawks ass and blew its guts out. He was pi$$ed because he likes to play with the squirrels nuts. Just like when most doctors grab you and ask you to cough. Or even those lovely prostRate exams. Damn perverts. Just what does ALL of the above mean. Hell, I don't know either.
Paul D

AOL

#17 Feb 10, 2009
Bea wrote:
I tried for 2 years to shoot the same hawk. He would land on my roof and look for anything. It was a problem. I hate that hawk and would like to see him accidently land on a bobcat.
Sarah

AOL

#18 Feb 10, 2009
Communist Clam wrote:
<quoted text>
guns kill hawks.no people. Ban on hawk shootings.
Yet

State College, PA

#19 Feb 10, 2009
Communist Clam wrote:
<quoted text>
One more stupid person. How can you possibly know that?
Communist Clam

United States

#20 Feb 10, 2009
Yet wrote:
<quoted text>
One more stupid person. How can you possibly know that?
You are right. He was probably deadly with a slingshot as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr JOEL 70,617
Hello Mon Clint 1
Dual language immersion program offered for kin... (Jan '10) Nov 21 Kerry Jones 29
Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Nov 19 ben goolsby 1,514
MEX-TEX-CA DRUGS to YOU! Nov 4 ILLEGALS - DRUGS ... 1
Some Mexicans leaving US, planning never to return (Dec '08) Nov 3 llt 15,728
Former Councilwoman Susan Goldbeck announces Ci... (Jun '08) Nov 1 nodole 8
Monterey Dating
Find my Match

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Monterey News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Monterey

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]