Giant squid invade Calif. waters, ent...

Giant squid invade Calif. waters, entice anglers

There are 13 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Feb 1, 2010, titled Giant squid invade Calif. waters, entice anglers. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

Giant squid weighing up to 60 pounds have invaded the California waters off Newport Beach and are being caught by sport fishermen by the hundreds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

carlito1

United States

#1 Feb 1, 2010
squids are smarter then most people.
They came to warn us about something, and ended up in a frying pan!?
Wats

Monterey, CA

#2 Feb 1, 2010
Calamari... yuuuummmmmy
Mike Bobay

Seaside, CA

#3 Feb 1, 2010
Does this article really appear in the Herald without mentioning our local fishing businesses?!
Fish

United States

#4 Feb 1, 2010
These squid are nasty tasting and nasty to the general fish population. They will clear out Monterey Bay of any rockfish, salmon and halibut within a couple years. They ate up all the fish in Mexico and are headed up the coast like a giant lawnmower.
carlito1

United States

#5 Feb 1, 2010
SQUIDS, some of the smartest and most elusive of the sea's creatures, are beginning to give up their behavioral secrets as submarines and robots observe their unique ways of hunting, hiding and just hanging out in deep, cold waters where darkness reigns or only dim rays of sunlight can penetrate. Little by little, tribal secrets from the earliest days of squid existence are being surrendered for the first time.

Previously seen as primitive and lethargic, deep-sea squids turn out to show surprising alertness and alacrity. Most boast a range of bioluminescence and subtle coloration that can change quickly, often to elude predators and perhaps to attract mates as well.

Since: Aug 09

Salinas, CA

#6 Feb 1, 2010
carlito1 wrote:
squids are smarter then most people.
They came to warn us about something, and ended up in a frying pan!?
IF your statement is indeed factual, I assume it's not correct to say someone "riding the short bus" has the IQ of a squid....

The next time I'm indulging in calamari at one of our local restaurants, I'll remember that I'm ingesting an intelligent creature.
Kenneth M Wilbourne Jr

Layton, UT

#7 Feb 1, 2010
There ought to be a limit to how many squids per person one can catch. Such limitations are done with fish. I'm sure the squids are vital to the ecosystem and ocean health. If the squids do not normally appear each year, then that is a red flag the squids are roaming further and nearer to the surface for food.
carlito1

United States

#8 Feb 1, 2010
correct,,,smtng going down, downthere,,,
Ocean View

Pacific Grove, CA

#9 Feb 1, 2010
Fish wrote:
These squid are nasty tasting and nasty to the general fish population. They will clear out Monterey Bay of any rockfish, salmon and halibut within a couple years. They ate up all the fish in Mexico and are headed up the coast like a giant lawnmower.
Although there was a story several months ago when they first started to be found in Monterey Bay in larger numbers, I haven't heard/seen much since, although I did see a live one wash up in rocks by the Aquarium a few weeks ago before it made its way back into the water. The body looked to be maybe 2 feet long plus tentacles, and reddish, about the size of the one being held by "Doc" Ricketts in one of the more frequently published photos of him.
Ocean View

Pacific Grove, CA

#11 Feb 1, 2010
Franz Himmler wrote:
More mexican invaders.they just dont give up do they?? kill em all
Please pay attention. Eating fish in Mexico doesn't mean that they are Mexican; it means that, just like Americans vacationing in Mexico and then heading back north, they love the food.

By the way, still think climate change is a hoax? Humboldt squid are being found further and further north (Washington and Alaska) as a result of rising ocean temperatures, which means that their voracious appetites may affect more and more Northern Pacific fisheries than in the past, when their range only extended from South America to California.

More information is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humboldt_Squid , although I suspect that the only interest expressed in completely unrelated to either squid or a general respect for human life and dignity.
tim

Salinas, CA

#12 Feb 2, 2010
Kenneth M Wilbourne Jr wrote:
There ought to be a limit to how many squids per person one can catch. Such limitations are done with fish. I'm sure the squids are vital to the ecosystem and ocean health. If the squids do not normally appear each year, then that is a red flag the squids are roaming further and nearer to the surface for food.
What a idiot, if it were up to you no one would eat anything from the ocean and I bet the forest. All our food should come from the grocery store I guess.
The real question is are thet really new. Fishermen fish for them becasue we are not allowed to fish for anything else, period. You have to go to 1000' of water to get them. This is new, not the squid.
Idoit
It takes only 2 years to grow to 40lbs, and there are millons of them with now commecial value. They do taste good if you treat them and prepare them right.
Dave

Long Beach, CA

#13 Feb 2, 2010
These are great fishing fish and great eating if you fix them right. To bad no one fishes for them commecially. All we get to fish for now. Great sport fish. No question they have a huge appetite. They eat their own given the chance.
Go get them
carlito1

United States

#14 Feb 2, 2010
squids are people too...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Fri bbyrd009 72,045
Is dr Carl Bergstrom out of prison Dec 9 Sascha 4
News Monterey County Gas tax repeal petition kicks o... Dec 1 BusterBear 1
News Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles (Sep '14) Nov 23 Christie Taylor 10
public storage delrey oaks Nov 19 jesidy 1
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Nov '17 Randy r 1,556
News cold, economy drive more homeless to seek help (Dec '08) Nov '17 Kenny Nichols 5

Monterey Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monterey Mortgages