P.G. man dies Tuesday after being str...

P.G. man dies Tuesday after being struck by suspected drunk driver

There are 20 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Sep 3, 2008, titled P.G. man dies Tuesday after being struck by suspected drunk driver. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

A Pacific Grove man died from injuries sustained Tuesday when he was struck by a suspected drunk driver.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

Terrible loss

Salinas, CA

#1 Sep 3, 2008
I'm so saddened by this whole situation- the fact that this all happened right in front of his child only magnifies the horror of this. My thoughts go out to Joel's family- although I only casually knew him- he was always a really nice guy.
GEMSTONE

Watsonville, CA

#2 Sep 3, 2008
Horrifying. Let us hope that they fully prosecute this drunk woman.. and lock her up as long as they can
native

AOL

#3 Sep 3, 2008
Dear Woods Family, My family's prayers are with you. We will pray for strength and faith in this most difficult time.
Tragedy

Seaside, CA

#4 Sep 3, 2008
This terrible tragedy reminds me to hold my children tighter tonight and thank God for my family. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Wood's family to give them strength in the difficult times to come.
Paul Jr

Santa Rosa, CA

#5 Sep 3, 2008
This is a very unfortunate tragedy. Joel was a good guy as I grew up with him from little league all the way through High School. His laughter and sense of humor will be missed. I pray for Adriana, his kids and family as they have to deal with this loss. Drinking and Driving at that time of day just shocks me....
Shocker

Oakland, CA

#6 Sep 3, 2008
Why only a $30,000 bail? She killed a father of two picking up his son from school. Drunk driving or under the influence........what's the damn difference? She ended the life of someone and should be held accountable. The public would like to know more about this case as Joel Woods was a life long resident of Pacific Grove with many many friends who will demand to know both the details of what this lady was under the influence of and how she will be held accountable. I hope that she gets sued to the utmost extent by his family! Her idiotic decision has torn apart dozens of lives.
pg parent

Chualar, CA

#7 Sep 3, 2008
This is so sad.
Rossi

Monterey, CA

#8 Sep 3, 2008
DEAR WOODS FAMILY,MY SON ATTENDS THE SAME SCHOOL AS YOUR SON.OUR HEARTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.
Sandra Soekardi

United States

#9 Sep 3, 2008
I'm so sorry to hear this tragedy, all my prayers to the Woods family, the Dickies and Adriana and the children.
This is very very sad...
This one hits hard

Salinas, CA

#10 Sep 3, 2008
Thoughts and prayers with the Woods family, as their lives will never be the same. They are good people and didn't deserve to have this happen to them. A lot of parents, wives, husbands, are no doubt giving a few extra hugs and kisses, and saying a few extra I love You's tonight.
Moose

Oakland, CA

#11 Sep 4, 2008
Our hearts are broken and go out to a caring father and his wonderful family. I'm just sick and numb. This is not supposed to happen..Joel - I love you and miss you brother. This is f-in insane!!! I know you're watching over the boys and Adrianna. All our love and support......know that we're here for them and will continue to be. I have so many wonderful memories of you to share with the boys both now and as they grow.

Deborah King...f-u........she posted her nominal bail and has been released. Although nothing will take away any of the pain this bag has caused, I can only hope that she is held accountable for her actions.
PG parent

Monterey, CA

#12 Sep 5, 2008
Sending you and the boys, love and comforting prayers.
GEMSTONE

Watsonville, CA

#13 Sep 5, 2008
PG parent wrote:
Sending you and the boys, love and comforting prayers.
I dont understand why she is out. she killed this man, while drunk driving. She is going to hit the bottle again and there will be another tradegy. she is a HUGE risk to society.
GEMSTONE

Watsonville, CA

#14 Sep 5, 2008
I was replying to Moose.., Accidentally went to another person in reply. I meant my last statement to reply to 'Moose'.....
Ranae

San Francisco, CA

#15 Sep 5, 2008
As I stood in that spot today,I had so much rage inside of me. I wanted to flip off every car that passed that spot. My sister watched Joel's 2 sons sometimes and I remember him being really funny and so nice, and tall! This is the worst thing Ive ever heard in my 39 years. This bitch had better PAY! Although she could die 1 billion times and it wouldnt matter, the true damage is done.Like my 9 year old son said tonight" she should not be out of jail to kill someone else, no matter how much money she pays" I hate god!
Monterey mother

Monterey, CA

#16 Sep 6, 2008
This is indeed a tragedy and my heart goes out to Joel's family. I can't even imagine the pain that you are going through. We will keep you in our prayers. I can't imagine why the driver is out on bail and driving still!
Pagrovian

AOL

#17 Sep 6, 2008
This is so tragic. Ms. King's criminal behavior is inexcusable and should be prosecuted.

Parking in the Middle School parking lot has been exacerbated by the construction at Canterbury Woods. There is never any parking for parents in the lot anymore because there is limited parking for employees on Sinex, so they are parking in the Middle School lot. Perhaps some parking spaces could be reserved for parents picking up students, in memory of Joel.
meincalifornia

United States

#18 Sep 7, 2008
I know this lady, she worked out in my gym and was a trainer. too bad and I feel for everyone involved. Strange thing is, I think I worked with Joel at the Spindrift Inn way back. I know for a fact that Deborah worked for the prison system in the past and was actually beaten up by inmates. She was a successful bodybuilder and trainer. She will probably get a minimum of about 15-20 years for this act; but may get out sooner. Life is over for her.
Another Pagrovian

Monterey, CA

#20 Sep 7, 2008
I knew Joel, Adrianna and the boys, and care for them deeply. While I deeply share your anger and outrage at the loss of this excellent father and husband, I also know that the pain doesn't end there.

Adrianna has lost her greatest and most true love and partner.
Jacob and Nathan have lost a priceless, gifted and caring father.

So many lives will be forever altered by this tragedy. Including Deborah King.

I don't know this woman, I don't know who it helps in trashing her endlessly. Is she the devil incarnate, or some sick, med dependent and wounded middle-age woman who made the biggest and most tragic mistake of her life? And therefore cost the life of a wonderful man and father?

She will pay. Make no bones about it. Whether in the criminal courts or civil, with her higher power... she will pay and pay and pay....

And whatever it is will never be enough.

While of course sharing and offering genuine and appropriate compassion for the Woods family, isn't it also important that we try to find in our hearts some reservoir of compassion for this woman? The damage her life has come to will never leave her.

I'd trade an ounce of freedom from that responsibility any day, for the pounds of pain and outrage she has unwittingly caused.

Highway Patrol California

Salinas, CA

#21 Sep 8, 2008
Q: What are the penalties for vehicular manslaughter in California?

A: If the offense is a misdemeanor, up to one year in the county jail. If felony DUI vehicular manslaughter (but without gross negligence) is found, the sentence can be up to four years in state prison. If felony DUI vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence is found, the court can impose up to 10 years state prison. Substantial drivers license suspensions may also be imposed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Discount Tickets - Monterey Bay Aquarium Feb 20 howefortunate 1
News Trump's North Korea red line could come back to... Feb 14 Mikey 11
lovers point inn of pacific grove dangeroud Jan 30 STB 1
Lovers Point Inn DO NOT STAY Here Jan 29 Richard 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? (Oct '14) Jan '17 Dez1981 90
Review: David B Tolkan & Assoc - David B Tolkan... (Feb '09) Jan '17 Glades lake 31
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Dec '16 Smh 1,551

Monterey Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monterey Mortgages