Monterey Bay climate change summit fi...

Monterey Bay climate change summit fights global warming

There are 75 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Jun 4, 2011, titled Monterey Bay climate change summit fights global warming. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Local elected, environmental and business leaders met Friday to discuss how the Central Coast can tackle climate change, refining an effort that began in 2007 and striving to make the region a leader in preventing global warming.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#1 Jun 5, 2011
Pissing in the wind...
bronck burger

Fair Lawn, NJ

#2 Jun 5, 2011
LIVE LIFE AND ENJOY INCREASE your CARBON FOOT PRINT AND watch these GLOBAL WARMERS HEADS EXPLODE.
Buzz

Emeryville, CA

#3 Jun 5, 2011
The solution is in sight!
Donny B

Fairfax, VA

#5 Jun 5, 2011
Make it a point to live as long as possible. With every breath you take, you intake oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide. In other words, piss off Al Gore (and the Global Warming nutcases) with every breath you take.

Since: Feb 08

Santa Cruz

#6 Jun 6, 2011
Global warming is designed to create jobs while destroying other businesses and their jobs.
At what point do we start to worry about the coming ice age?

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#7 Jun 6, 2011
Carl Bendix wrote:
Global warming is designed to create jobs while destroying other businesses and their jobs.
There's not much call for farriers or buggy whip manufacturers these days, but I catch your drift.
Carl Bendix wrote:
When it arrives?
Worrying about it won't help much at all, especially as it's highly unlikely to arrive any time soon.
Steve Hartman

Lincoln, MT

#8 Jun 6, 2011
More Global Warming? So here's a question for you all. What do you get when you combine Al Gore with Neil Diamond? ANS: http://www.bobrivers.com/#v9029
L'il humor for you fine folks...

#9 Jun 6, 2011
Steve Hartman wrote:
More Global Warming? So here's a question for you all. What do you get when you combine Al Gore with Neil Diamond? ANS: http://www.bobrivers.com/#v9029
L'il humor for you fine folks...
2007, different graphics:
&mo de=related&search
Ocean View

Pebble Beach, CA

#10 Jun 7, 2011
Carl Bendix wrote:
Pissing in the wind...
Combining hydroelectric and wind energy should work well together, especially if one's aim is accurate. I'd be looking at wave and tidal power as well.
Ocean View

Pebble Beach, CA

#11 Jun 7, 2011
bronck burger wrote:
LIVE LIFE AND ENJOY INCREASE your CARBON FOOT PRINT AND watch these GLOBAL WARMERS HEADS EXPLODE.
Watch gasoline prices rise to $6-$8 like in Europe and see whose heads explode first: owner's of gaz guzzlers, or car-pooling hybrid and electric car users.

Since gas taxes pay for road maintenance and construction, look for a higher tax rate and burden on those who buy more gasoline.
Ocean View

Pebble Beach, CA

#12 Jun 7, 2011
Donny B wrote:
Make it a point to live as long as possible. With every breath you take, you intake oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide. In other words, piss off Al Gore (and the Global Warming nutcases) with every breath you take.
Better yet, get out and exercise to increase oxygen intake and carbon dioxide exhalation, but do it while smoking to increase levels of carbon dioxide and monoxide even more while pushing a car that has run out of gas uphill so that, after arriving back home, setting both the car and the house on fire will create even more carbon dioxide! The possibilities are endless, and that will show them.
Ocean View

Pebble Beach, CA

#13 Jun 7, 2011
Carl Bendix wrote:
When the polar ice caps stop melting and the U.S. military starts shelving plans for how to defend against the new military threats created by the opening of arctic waterways accessible by both China and Russia, in addition to how they are going to respond to flooded or unusable naval facilities which have been impacted by rising sea levels.
Reality Check

United States

#14 Jun 9, 2011
Ocean View wrote:
<quoted text>
Combining hydroelectric and wind energy should work well together, especially if one's aim is accurate. I'd be looking at wave and tidal power as well.
Well, they work well if you're not a fish or a bird, and live in a wet, windy place.
Ocean View

Pebble Beach, CA

#15 Jun 9, 2011
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, they work well if you're not a fish or a bird, and live in a wet, windy place.
All evidence to the contrary, it actually turns out that I'm not a fish or a bird, so I get to help try to figure out how to implement alternative energy solutions, of which solar would be my preferred choice. Still, if there are ways of effectively addressing the concerns about the impact of both wave and wind technologies on wildlife, these deserve attention as well; I just thought that urinating upwind was unlikely to be very effective as a sustainable energy resource.
Ocean View

Pebble Beach, CA

#16 Jun 9, 2011
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, Monterey Bay tends to be a wet, windy place, so regarding and exploring the bay and its climate conditions as an alternative energy resource to drilling for oil in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary is a reasonable approach, in the same way that situating solar arrays in desert areas works regionally for others.

To be honest, if there were some way of harnessing our keyboards with a little more individual key resistance to generate a bit more energy, we might have less need for battery charging or plug-in energy, and really aggressive or extensive typers could sell their excess enrgy back to the grid or redirect it back to other battery powered devices.
Reality Check

United States

#17 Jun 9, 2011
Ocean View wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, Monterey Bay tends to be a wet, windy place, so regarding and exploring the bay and its climate conditions as an alternative energy resource to drilling for oil in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary is a reasonable approach, in the same way that situating solar arrays in desert areas works regionally for others...
Interesting straw man, except that drilling for oil isn't an option in the NMS. I don't see the Monterey Bay as all that windy. That said, the Coastal Commission wouldn't even allow a single turbine on a house in Pleasure Point. So much for a wind farm.
Thus far, lots of objects from environmentalists regarding solar arrays in the deserts, too.
Ocean View

Pebble Beach, CA

#18 Jun 10, 2011
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting straw man, except that drilling for oil isn't an option in the NMS. I don't see the Monterey Bay as all that windy. That said, the Coastal Commission wouldn't even allow a single turbine on a house in Pleasure Point. So much for a wind farm.
Thus far, lots of objects from environmentalists regarding solar arrays in the deserts, too.
The rejection of one wind turbine by the Coastal Commission does not preclude the possibility of wind energy development either further inland or offshore. The Coastal Commission's jurisdiction is limited to inland areas a few hundred yards from the mean high tide level, and considering the number and variety of coastal and sea birds that may have been at risk by such an installation, it's a reasonable consideration. I'll worry when I hear that they reject the installation of solar panels consistent with the profile of either unprotected habitat land or an existing building.

Regardless, each region can look to its own resources to determine which measures can be implemented with the least impact on the local environment while giving consideration to addressing the global environmental effects/benefits as well.
Reality Check

United States

#19 Jun 10, 2011
Offshore wind power, in the Monterey Bay NMS CANYON? Non-starter. And we don't have an Altamont pass type area here.
Solar is an option - as long as someone else is paying for it, and you don't mind paying for your electric 15-20 years in advance, and nothing breaks. It's more cost effective for high energy users (huge houses, pools, etc.) but better to just use less energy, no?

#20 Jun 10, 2011
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
The majority of LARGE offshore windmills are made by Enercon which has been gearless for quite some time.
LessFact forgot to check.

Enercon don't make wind generators of any description for offshore installation.
Ocean View

Pebble Beach, CA

#21 Jun 10, 2011
Reality Check wrote:
Offshore wind power, in the Monterey Bay NMS CANYON? Non-starter. And we don't have an Altamont pass type area here.
Solar is an option - as long as someone else is paying for it, and you don't mind paying for your electric 15-20 years in advance, and nothing breaks. It's more cost effective for high energy users (huge houses, pools, etc.) but better to just use less energy, no?
The Sanctuary boundaries extend offshore nearly 20 miles, which is beyond the horizon viewed from the beach at sea level, so whether just inside or outside the boundaries, and whatever the ocean floor topography, some anchored wind turbines might be feasible/possible, not that I'm proposing it, but still it's something to be considered.

Of course, there is no objection to using less energy, but doing so without also considering the environmental consequences of retaining the same polluting sources for the remaining energy that needs to be generated would only address part of the problem. Let's do both.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Place to park my RV long term 4 hr Chaoscoord 1
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Aug 26 dld1234 1,543
News Coastal Commission votes against Santa Cruza s ... Aug 12 Swiss Mess 14
News Deadly Calif. wildfire that has destroyed 60 ho... Jul 31 Frank 1
News In the face of disaster, sense of community com... Jul '16 Donna do Wright 1
News More Monterey Co. Residents Evacuated As Sobera... Jul '16 mattie05 1
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Jul '16 TWP 72,037

Monterey Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monterey Mortgages