Citizen group to oppose Wal-Mart

Citizen group to oppose Wal-Mart

There are 6 comments on the The Tribune story from Mar 16, 2006, titled Citizen group to oppose Wal-Mart. In it, The Tribune reports that:

Prospects of Wal-Mart opening a new store in a vacant Kmart building has some Marina residents preparing anything but a warm greeting for the retail giant.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Tribune.

Huntsville, AL

#1 Mar 22, 2006
Protesters should get a life.

Chualar, CA

#2 Apr 1, 2006
lmak wrote:
Protesters should get a life.
Re "Imak"'s comment that "Protesters should get a life," Citizens in Marina have a life and we want to maintain a good and vital life for our families and for our small businesses. It's easy for individuals to throw out phrases like, "get a life" but the hard work of implementing a revitalization plan for a town that was left behind after a base closure is serious business to those of us living here in Marina. Perhaps "Imak" of Santa Fe should have some more redevelopment challenges with which to deal in Santa Fe, like citizens of Marina do at this time, and "Imak" might have something original to contribute to the dialogue. Thoughtful commentary is helpful, flip sound bites are not.

Marina, CA

#3 Apr 11, 2006
Marina, CA
I've been in Marina since 1962. I am a small business owner. My business will be fine, because I offer my customers what they want and need. I've seen stores come and go. I welcome Walmart to Marina. I like the availabity of products offered by Walmart. We need retail. I am tired of going to Salinas or Sand City. Marina has alot of retail dollars to offer. I look forward to the day when I have choices of where to shop IN MARINA.

United States

#4 Apr 11, 2006
Re, Sandra's comment: You assume that there is no other retail possibility that WalMart, when in fact there are much better choices that give we Marinians diveristy more choices than just WalMart.

Go back and listen to the original planning for that visitor serving area of our town and you will see exactly what should be going in there - and it's not WalMart. Sorry, but we should be aiming a bit higher than WalMart;we shouldn't be mimicking Salinas. And in case no one has noticed the sales tax revenue from WalMart has not saved Salinas' "bucket" either. Let's not be duped by large private interests, let's do better for our city.

Marina, CA

#5 Nov 2, 2006
Come on Walmart we are waiting for you!! Im with Sandra. I look forward to having Walmart in Marina. They offer a diversity in product--much more than having a few stores in that space. That space has been vacant for far too long. Soon it would have been unuseable like all the buildings on poor Ft Ord.

If you dont like it dont shop there. That leaves more great deals for the rest of us!

Monterey, CA

#6 Jun 24, 2014
Does anyone have or know how to get a copy of the grand opening news video for this walmart?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Letters: We need to support society (Sep '10) Mar 13 david fairhurst 19
News Restaurateur feels bite of economy (Aug '08) Mar 13 Deirdre 23
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Mar 9 stein 72,048
Help finding old acquaintance? Mar 7 Padre Stew Peddas... 3
Marina infested with gang boys (Mar '11) Feb 22 Seduciary 20
Lyft in Monterey free ride! (Mar '17) Feb 22 Seduciary 2
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Feb 22 Seduciary 1,559

Monterey Jobs

Personal Finance

Monterey Mortgages