Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
59,541 - 59,560 of 68,862 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's minchag.
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Minchag is not a Hebrew word. Minhag is tradition in the sense of "something that people do regularly". Minhag also translates to "habit". Another Hebrew word for tradition is masoret, which is more general and includes all "minhagim".

The confusion with "minchag" might be because "chag" means holiday. Keeping the holidays means keeping "minagey chag" (traditions of the holiday).
11 months ago
Report Abuse

100% 1 Vote

Interesting.

In my tradition, the chicken came first.

:))
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
FR:
minchag means custom/tradition, in contrast to Jewish law.
Thanks, Mr. Bean.

You knew I would be at a loss and indeed I was.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe--- The xians who wrote the NT were JEWS.
Key word WERE.

They then became the earliest Christians.

Jews don't believe in JC. Religion 101.

What do you see as the difference between Jews and Christians? Anything at all?

As an aside, have you joined NAMLA yet?

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Mr. Bean.
You knew I would be at a loss and indeed I was.
Well, here is the rub. Since now that have you grasped the concept, pursuant to our lengthy previous conversations, it is time to move it up a notch.

Minhagim (plural of minhag) are actually part of Halacha (Jewish law - literally translated as "the way") too.

Jewish law consists of both mitzvot (commandments that derive directly from the text (bible)) and minhagim. Mitzvot are universally binding while minhagim are not.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Judged:

HughBe wrote:
Frijoles---I get it. Minhag is the actual Hebrew word, not minchag
HughBe--- I see that we are struggling to IDENTIFY a Hebrew word, professor. One would have thought that YOU a person who has very little use for English would at least be able to tell the difference between your natural tongue i.e. Hebrew and English.
although generally I have been avoiding you, I will drop in for a quick note.

We are using a bastardization of Hebrew here (i.e. Hebrew using English letters to approximate the phonetics of the Hebrew alphabet). So all types of misunderstandings abound here since there are all kinds of transliteration mistakes.

Give me the Hebrew with the actual Hebrew alphabet and I will not be mistaken. Unfortunately this is not possible with Topix.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
We are using a bastardization of Hebrew here (i.e. Hebrew using English letters to approximate the phonetics of the Hebrew alphabet). So all types of misunderstandings abound here since there are all kinds of transliteration mistakes.
Give me the Hebrew with the actual Hebrew alphabet and I will not be mistaken. Unfortunately this is not possible with Topix.
I was absent for a few weeks at the end of Dec. Did Hugh ever get around to answering the question about Jesus' genealogy or is he hoping we forgot about it?

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I get it. Minhag is the actual Hebrew word, not minchag
"nhg" means custom, or if used in the imperative - to lead
Glad you did, and for helping me, since i've been googling in vain for 'nhg'.
Assyrian legal lingo->hebrew
From gardens to actually meaning law.
Like some elaborate game of hide and seek.

Just failing to see the connection.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I was absent for a few weeks at the end of Dec. Did Hugh ever get around to answering the question about Jesus' genealogy or is he hoping we forgot about it?
Of course not.

And it was a blessing in disguise (with due respect to your belief system), as I get to ignore Hughbe. As does Eric for the most part as well.

Worst fate on Topix (short of being banned) is to be ignored.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you did, and for helping me, since i've been googling in vain for 'nhg'.
Assyrian legal lingo->hebrew
From gardens to actually meaning law.
Like some elaborate game of hide and seek.
Just failing to see the connection.
you should of gone straight to Ben Yehuda's Hebrew dictionary

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Chicken and the egg isn't even up for debate. Eggs predate birds on the evolutionary chain by millions of years.
rabbee: oh you believe in, that scientific myth from your scientific g-ds?

when TheTorah is most specific, that G-D made the chicken first, then divided them into rooster and hen, to give with seed and egg.

and every time G-D gives the whole seven day Torah Cycle, it is always precisely 6818 man years long. and this time again in TheTorah, shall also precisely be 6818 man years.

The G-D of only and always TheTorah, does not ever lie. no matter how many scientific liars you have, as the enemy of G-D saying otherwise.

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: there is no vowel i in eevreet, so it is not even a legal eevreet word. neither is the german word hebrew eevreet, there is no english w sound in eevreet. as in german the w, is pronounced like the english and eevreet v. so it should be a minimum written as hebrev in english to be more correct. without mention that some people, do not know the eevreet bet from vet.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
Au contraire, the image of "Santa" -- a Saint -- has been around for a long time. He's been part of the Xtian rebranding of Saturnalia since 1600 or befor (I'm pretty sure that even predates the Coca Cola Corporation -- citation needed).
St Nicholas, Sinterklaas, Tomte, Father Xmas ... all incarnation of the same person. Like Doctor Who with a sleigh instead of a TARDIS.
The good folks at Coca Cola have been using his image since the '20s and have probably done more to canonize his image as the morbidly obese, flamboyantly dressed, elf molester that we have come to know and love. But, they didn't invent him or his likeness.
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

I actually knew that, but I was focused on the popular image as promulgated by the CCC. Not sure, but I think that the earliest version goes back to somewhere around the 6th century or so.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you want to attract deer?
Lazy hunters?
Frijoles wrote:
Most people I know want to rid themselves of them.
This winter has barely even started...hold on your hat...
Eat lots of venison, then urinate around the property line. Or just hunt them as they show up!
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Key word WERE.
They then became the earliest Christians.
Jews don't believe in JC. Religion 101.
What do you see as the difference between Jews and Christians? Anything at all?
As an aside, have you joined NAMLA yet?
HughBe--- The xians who wrote the NT were JEWS.

Former---Key word WERE.

HughBe--- Correct in terms of being able to IDENTIFY one of the key words. You are incorrect in terms of your UNDERSTANDING of how the word was used. Let me explain it to you. WERE was used because because they are ARE dead.

Former----They then became the earliest Christians.

HughBe-- Correct as they followed their Jewish Messiah.

Former---Jews don't believe in JC. Religion 101.

HughBe--- What a DUNCE you are. Did you not understand what was said above? NO. Jews BELIEVED in Jesus the Jew.

Former---What do you see as the difference between Jews and Christians? Anything at all?

HughBe--- RACE. The RACE called Jews are BIOLOGICAL relatives and they can believe anything and their beliefs will NEVER change their ANCESTRY. Study it as clearly you are a VICTIM of the LIES and DECEPTION of rabbis.

Former---As an aside, have you joined NAMLA yet?

HughBe--- I am not a club member. In any event I would not fit in unlike you.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Winter Does Not Disprove Global Warming
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_scie...
1. Statements about climate trends must be based on, er, trends. Not individual events or occurrences. Weather is not climate, and anecdotes are not statistics.
2. Global warming is actually expected to increase heavy precipitation in winter storms, and for the Northern Hemisphere, there is evidence that these storms are already more frequent and intense, according to the draft U.S. National Climate Assessment.
3. Antarctica is a very cold place. But global warming is affecting it as predicted: Antarctica is losing ice overall, according to the latest report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. However, sea ice is a different matter than land-based or glacial ice. Antarctic sea ice is increasing, and moreover, the reason for this may be climate change!(For more, read here.)
Finally, just one last thing: When its winter on Earth, its also summer on Earth ... somewhere else. Thus, allow us to counter anecdotal evidence about cold weather with more anecdotal evidence: Its blazing hot in Australia, with temperatures in some regions set to possibly soar above 120 degrees Fahrenheit in the coming days.
Anecdotal evidence: So Cal is experiencing summer like weather this week, with temps in the 80's.

The better evidence for climate change is the fact that we are experiencing a couple of wildfires in the hills, in the middle of what SHOULD be the rainy season. The hills are summer brown rather than winter green.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse is noted.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Former dear, I shall ask you to explain a few passages for me on the topic of Just who is a Jew. If you cannot explain the passages, which will expose the LIES and the DECEPTION of the rabbis, get the BRIGHTEST of the SAGES of Judaism to do so or to engage me on this forum.

The DECEPTION and enslavement must END.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Former---As an aside, have you joined NAMLA yet?

HughBe--- Are you eyeing your neighbour's 6-year-old son? Double trouble.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
FR:
minchag means custom/tradition, in contrast to Jewish law.
Absolutely right. There is a custom to write G-d in English, but no halachic requirement. Particularly on an electronic medium which can't be physically desecrated.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Singapore -- Home of Hot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2014

MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
just butting in
Minchag is not a Hebrew word. Minhag is tradition in the sense of "something that people do regularly". Minhag also translates to "habit".
You're correct, my transliteration module is on the fritz.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Monterey News, Events & Info