Messianic Jews say they are persecute...

Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

There are 72030 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 21, 2008, titled Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel. In it, Newsday reports that:

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#65392 Jan 7, 2014
http://m.weatherzone.com.au/

Current weather Australia-wide. And this is our Summer.

It appears you were right, weather doesn't equal climate and daily temps aren't proof of climate trends.

Well done, you.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65393 Jan 7, 2014
Rick

I bet your against the gun ban too (and keep in mind I'm a gun owner):

In Australia, gun owners were compensated when they handed in previously legal weapons. Almost 700,000 guns were destroyed, halving the number of homes with a gun. That would be equal to taking 40 million guns out of action in the United States.

But the reforms angered many constituents of Fischer's rural-based National Party, who vented their anger two years later at the ballot box. The pro-gun One Nation party won almost one million votes and the government narrowly avoided defeat.

Australia had 13 gun massacres in the 18 years before the 1996 gun reforms, but has not suffered any mass shootings since.

Studies found a marked drop in gun-related homicides, down 59 percent, and a dramatic 65 percent drop in the rate of gun-related suicides, in the 10 years after the weapons crackdown.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/03/us-...
former res

Cheshire, CT

#65395 Jan 7, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry. Weren't you the one that claimed only uniformed people would use weather incidents as proof of climate change?
As someone who has a home in Australia and has been coming here for over 20 years, I can tell you that weather in the mid to high 40's isn't unusual for WA or Queensland.
Weather phenomenon is Australia is an interesting thing. My own state of Victoria regularly has a week of high temps followed by a week of weather in the teens (C). Sometimes in the same day.
From 2000 to 2010 we suffered a near country-wide drought. Despite record rainfall nationally. A drought brought on by the fact that when states built water catchments in the early 1900's they didn't know that rainfall patterns in Australia change cyclically (something well known to our nomadic Aborigines).
The BOM and our own CSIRO colluded with the Australian Labor Party to use that self-inflicted drought to implement one of the largest goods taxes ever imposed in Australian history, the Carbon Tax. Despite the fact that rain patterns have returned to normal and catchments are once again full.
If you truly think Australia is roasting in its own lard as your post would suggest I suggest you visit us here in Melbourne. But, bring a sweater.
I think an article that references "a century of records" is talking about a change in climate.

On the other hand when someone says, "come and visit us but bring a sweater" - I take that as a reference to the current weather.

Fuzzy terminology goes along with fuzzy thinking.

You talk about increased taxes and increased government control and Al Gore - all the bullet points for the folks who clearly have an agenda that has nothing do with science are the reality of what the evidence shows.

Do you watch Fox News over there is there a Fox equivalent for you folks?

“Act Interdimensional ly”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#65397 Jan 7, 2014
former res wrote:
Rick

I bet your against the gun ban too (and keep in mind I'm a gun owner):

In Australia, gun owners were compensated when they handed in previously legal weapons. Almost 700,000 guns were destroyed, halving the number of homes with a gun. That would be equal to taking 40 million guns out of action in the United States.

But the reforms angered many constituents of Fischer's rural-based National Party, who vented their anger two years later at the ballot box. The pro-gun One Nation party won almost one million votes and the government narrowly avoided defeat.

Australia had 13 gun massacres in the 18 years before the 1996 gun reforms, but has not suffered any mass shootings since.

Studies found a marked drop in gun-related homicides, down 59 percent, and a dramatic 65 percent drop in the rate of gun-related suicides, in the 10 years after the weapons crackdown.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/03/us-...
On principle, I'm against most bans. Bans are a way to artificially modify normal behaviour. I don't believe in banning recreational drugs, smoking, religious practices, political groups, incandescent light bulbs or the novels of J. D. Salinger.

That being said, we don't have a gun ban in Australia despite what you might have read in Reuters. In 1997 Australia instituted UK-style firearms categories and associated regulations for licensing.

Anyone who legally owned a firearm prior to that was free to keep that firearms on condition they did the paperwork and paid the fees to comply with the category (more often than not, regulations are a great source of additional revenue for states). Some categories, such as semi-automatic centrefire rifles and shotguns, are reserved for security professionals, professional hunters and outback guides

I myself legally own several rifles, handguns and shotguns in Australia for both hunting and target shooting. My mum calls my collection an arsenal.

Australia has a year-round hunting season for some game species - despite the best efforts of people who believe 'Bambi' is a documentary. Gun shops in Australia (there are 10 in my local vicinity) do a brisk business.

Yes, mass shootings have decreased (not surprising in a country nearly as large in area as the US with only 20 million people) but gun violence is currently higher than pre-97 levels, mostly as an unintended consequence of the '97 regulations.

Legal gun ownership in Australia has been steadily rising since '97 and (according to anti-gun advocacy groups) is nearly at pre-97 levels.

But ... illegal gun (both smuggled and locally manufactured) numbers have skyrocketed and are believed to be equal to or greater than the number of legal firearms.

It are these illegal weapons that are used in 99% of crime including shootings of high profile law enforcement officials that are on the rise.
Mikey Goofyfinkle

Trumbull, CT

#65398 Jan 7, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you enjoy eating venison?
That stuff is awful! Donate it to the homeless shelters.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#65399 Jan 7, 2014
REASON SHOULD PREVAIL NOT SUPERSTITIONS:

Acceptance of the scientific method would entail a complete acceptance of scientific thinking which lays great stress on reason and the firm rejection of absurdities like creation from nothing and appeasement of a sky G-d. There are individuals who swear by the scientific method but when it comes to the question of origins they fall back on superstitious beliefs preached by Tanach, NT, Quran and other scriptures that blindly accept the existence of some power (of consciousness) called G-d or whatever who's supposedly the creator and ruler of this universe that he is alleged to have created from nothing. Belief in G-d as the creator of the universe would necessarily mean that one embraces the creationist view which is absurd to say the least. These religious bigots preach the creator G-d and make silly excuses to cover up the egregious acts of barbarism indulged in by the "prophets" of this G-d but ironically at the same time they talk about the scientific method and promote evolution and the law of causation and the principle of conservation. Rick is one such ignorant poster here. MUQ is another example. There are many others of this illogical breed who regularly post here.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65400 Jan 7, 2014
Mikey Goofyfinkle wrote:
<quoted text>

I don't know if venison is kosher and so I can't comment.

Luckily, I've been vegetarian since the age of 2 or so because my late parents stopped feeding me non vegetarian foods when they observed my body rejecting these non-vegetarian inputs.

Besides, the recurring yogic experiences over the past few years have sensitized my nervous system to non-vegetarian foods to a great extent and so I guess my body will fall ill if I eat meat or eggs or fish.

At a certain advanced stage in the yoga, one can consume a gallon of poison and remain unaffected. I am no where near that advanced stage.

I am a great animal lover and as such I can't think of eating animals and birds and fish after slaughtering them.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65401 Jan 7, 2014
It's 6:37 am. I'm going out for a jog and will have breakfast some place on the way back. I've not decided. Busy in the morning.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65402 Jan 7, 2014
Belief in G-d as the creator of the universe would necessarily mean that one embraces the creationist view which is absurd to say the least.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#65403 Jan 7, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I did and I also imagine your loins ached for me as well.
Happy new year to you too.
HughBe---Greetings ALWAYS. It is truly good to see you again. The very best for 2014.
Did you miss me when you were away?

Former---Of course I did and I also imagine your loins ached for me as well.

HughBe--- Expected plus you are correct :D

Former---Happy new year to you too.

HughBe--- Prosperity be upon you via any legal means.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#65404 Jan 7, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
When the lick didn't work I actually spread some
deer urine around too (it's really cheap via Amazon)/
I did this just to annoy Frijoles!
:))
HughBe---Remember to use the bathroom for #1 and not the outside. Note, if you do not obey then that thing could freeze and break off.

Former---When the lick didn't work I actually spread some
deer urine around too (it's really cheap via Amazon)/

I did this just to annoy Frijoles!

HughBe--- I believe that all of the named activities would excite him.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#65405 Jan 7, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE to Former---
1.You should converse more with Hugh.
2.Both Hugh and you are on the same inferior intellectual level.
3.Besides, Hugh being gay is craving to get into bed with you or with that other gay American.

Hugh--- Point 1 makes absolutely perfect sense.

Point 2 is BS

Point 3 is pointless.

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#65406 Jan 7, 2014
Mikey Goofyfinkle wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: well if you like liver, you'll like venison. but there are people who, know how to prepare it, so that it don't taste like liver. it's like wild duck or goose, if you do not prepare it right it tastes funny. wild turkeys do not taste the same, as the ones in the supermarket.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#65407 Jan 8, 2014
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>

Climate change / Global Warming research is a huge industry. There are literally billions of government dollars out there for scientists willing to study the phenomenon. But only for those seeking to prove existing theories. You won't get a penny for researching alternative theories.
Where did you get that idea from? I haven seen any support for that. Science doesnt work that way, in my experience.
Rick Moss wrote:
<quoted text>And then there are the much greater amounts of money waiting to be made on global carbon trading schemes. Money that won't be made unless markets are convinced of the efficacy of carbon trading.
That, my friend, is why I am circumspect when someone makes 25/50/100 year predictions based on models driven more on conjecture than data.
Whether that is true or not - that possibility is generally insulated from the researchers. By definition. I think a lot of your view is based on perceived motivations, and if there is a disconnect between the researchers and the applied folks,(as I believe there is) than you argument weakens.

Location hidden

#65408 Jan 8, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
Belief in G-d as the creator of the universe would necessarily mean that one embraces the creationist view which is absurd to say the least.
In other news, dog bites man.

Seriously, you are mixing rhetoric. Creationism, at least here in the US implies a form of political Christianity. Which limits your statement. There are other religions (and streams within Christianity) that include the notion that creation is revelation, which is totally different from political creationism.

Location hidden

#65409 Jan 8, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
While a drinking beers with a former schoolmate, he would often
excuse himself by stating that he needed to go drain his snake.
Colorful terminology, though not sure how that would go with the Animal Rights folks.. I used to prefer "tap the main drain" or something like that.
Mikey Goofyfinkle

Trumbull, CT

#65411 Jan 8, 2014
yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: well if you like liver, you'll like venison. but there are people who, know how to prepare it, so that it don't taste like liver. it's like wild duck or goose, if you do not prepare it right it tastes funny. wild turkeys do not taste the same, as the ones in the supermarket.
Correct, most people don't eat it with out preparing with spices, or use it as a stock meat.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65414 Jan 8, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

There are other religions (and streams within Christianity) that include the notion that creation is revelation, which is totally different from political creationism.
If creationism is revelation, the same old question remains - how did this universe come into existence?

Is this G-d who gives out revelations to his chosen prophets of extra-cosmic origin?

If this G-d is of extra-cosmic origin, then, again, we're pushed into the illogic of creation from nothing.

A creator G-d who rules the universe has to an extra-cosmic G-d who somehow managed to create the universe from nothing and in the absence of a causal link he yet somehow manages to rule or to control the universe. Illogical - to say the least.

JOEL COOL DUDE

Location hidden

#65415 Jan 8, 2014
My replies and posts are getting deleted. Moderator, please check and stop your mischief.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#65416 Jan 8, 2014
FRIJOLES - Creationism, at least here in the US implies a form of political Christianity. Which limits your statement.

JOEL - What're you talking about?

By creationism I mean the dogma that states that some G-d who is considered the creator and ruler of the universe created the universe from nothing.

I wonder from where did this extra-cosmic G-d acquire the energy and consciousness to create the universe from nothing and I winder how this extra-cosmic G0d can rule over this universe in the absence of a causal link between this G-d and the universe that he created from nothing and i also winder how did extra-cosmic G-d reduces into nothing the energy and consciousness that go in forming the universe at the end of a cosmic cycle. LOL.

What is nothing? Can it even be defined?

The minute this biblical G-d becomes the creator and ruler of the universe, we're forced into adopting this creation from nothing illogic that's devoid of a causal connection and which brings in other insurmountable difficulties as well.

No where in the Bible is it said that the creation is a manifestation of the creator.

In the case where the universe is viewed as a manifestation or as an embodiment of the source, we enter the domain of monism and as such the source is not considered a ruler nor a creator of the universe (due to the process of manifestation involved in bringing forth the universe out of the energy and consciousness of its own field) and so the individualized objectivizations being manifestations of the source are always one in the essence with the source and any of these individuals can activate that dormant oneness through the full or complete yogic union.

Effect is nothing else but the cause in partial or complete manifestation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hartnell Janitors Must Clean Up Behavior by Rev... Thu Reverend Patryse ... 1
(WORKING LINK HERE) BITCH DONALD: Go, Bitch, Go... Thu Reverend Patryse ... 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? (Oct '14) Jun 21 dig 55
Where are the communal showers in Monterey? May 28 Jeremy 2
News Monterey working to prohibit alcohol, without a... May '16 DNTs 1
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) May '16 doug Gifford 1,542
drugs (Jun '15) May '16 Cdub94 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Monterey Mortgages