Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
47,881 - 47,900 of 68,430 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
do you read Esther from a scroll?
Is Esther in books?
we read Esther in the native Hebrew in synagogue out of a scroll
I dont bother with what you call the OT - so I am only speaking from my own experience.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
Literature on anthropology and space science is freely available online. LOL.
"Literature on" implies either critique or discipline specific (e.g. scientific) literature.

Hughbe is trying to make the claim that professional Historians accept the Bible as true history. Thats a different usage.

I use the term Scientific literature all the time. That implies peer review and professional methodology.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

"Literature on" implies either critique or discipline specific (e.g. scientific) literature.

I use the term Scientific literature all the time.

That implies peer review and professional methodology.
Why're you simply posting nonsense and dragging on with this most trivial point when the meaning is crystal clear?

You've failed to get his logic.

He's correct in a sweeping sort of way.

The word literature can mean many things in different contexts and does not necessarily refer to language studies as say for example studying Macbeth as part of English Literature.

Besides, research findings and discussions in any technical or non-technical subject are conducted in a language where use of vocabulary, alphabetical symbols, rules of grammar, correct spelling, etymology and the like are used freely and all throughout and without these language inputs they'd be no thoughts, no research, no science, no math, no medicine, no Macbeth and no history.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Hughbe is trying to make the claim that professional Historians accept the Bible as true history.
All of it is not false.

Biblical narratives dealing with religious personages, places, climate, geography, battles fought, customs, families, clans, kings, dwelling places and the like are part of religious history.

Metaphysics found in bible is beyond the scope of science or history.

Formal history taught in academic institutions invariably deals with highly selective phases of human history and here too the conclusions drawn are, on many occasions, based on the most flimsy scraps of evidence and then they build up a tall hypothesis, make misleading surmises or digress a lot from the actual event. It's a highly incomplete subject like any other.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe--- How did you verify that Christopher Columbus existed? Was it via time travel?
How did you verify that men went to the moon?
Did you go and examine the evidence on the moon?
There are those items whose evidence I choose to accept as do most folks.

And then there are stories devoid of evidence (like your god) that I choose to reject.

To each his own my friend.
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe--- Here is HughBe's system. Literature is any book, article etc. on a subject including poems, science and history.
You are using a different definition of the word.

Yes broadly speaking, literature can refer to material on most any subject.

I was using the library/Dewey Decimal definition. We were all raised on that system here in the US.(Not the Huggybear system..)
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe---Master in Science degree.
Healthcare-related.
HughBe--- So, are you a Grind-ae-cologist?
Family practice, all ages, all areas.
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe --In Jamaica it would be in the RELIGIOUS section. Does that tell you that religion is FICTION?
HughBe--- But is religion FICTION? The rituals etc. that are performed in churches, synagogues and mosques are they REAL or FICTIONAL?
if you look at the definition of religion:

"(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices"

It sounds more like personal philosophy than anything else.

Not so much about facts or reality.
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Former--I believe you're thinking of the writer of the James Bond stories who had a home there as well if I'm not mistaken. Ian Fleming.
HughBe--- I did not need wiki, you are correct and I made a mistake. I know both names.
So you are not infallible.

How refreshing.
former res

Cheshire, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
But it is what makes you pay taxes correct?
You seriously don't recall why I pay my taxes?

I'll invite you to read back.

Getting tired of repeating myself.

Hint: What would happen to me if I did not pay my taxes?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
Why're you simply posting nonsense and dragging on with this most trivial point when the meaning is crystal clear?
You've failed to get his logic.
He's correct in a sweeping sort of way.
The word literature can mean many things in different contexts and does not necessarily refer to language studies as say for example studying Macbeth as part of English Literature.
Besides, research findings and discussions in any technical or non-technical subject are conducted in a language where use of vocabulary, alphabetical symbols, rules of grammar, correct spelling, etymology and the like are used freely and all throughout and without these language inputs they'd be no thoughts, no research, no science, no math, no medicine, no Macbeth and no history.
You fail to follow his argument.

He is trying to make the claim that modern day historians accept Biblical History as truth.

He is doing that by relaxing the standards of truth but pretending that the discipline of History is just another type of Literature studies, instead of being a discipline in its own right.

If you continue to read him, he is claiming that since the Bible claims many people witnessed a particular event, it HAD to be true - ignoring the application of universally acceptable Historical methods of investigation within the discipline which would assert OTHERWISE.

This is not a trivial matter. This is HUGBE acting like a fundamentalist, a flat earther....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>

Formal history taught in academic institutions invariably deals with highly selective phases of human history and here too the conclusions drawn are, on many occasions, based on the most flimsy scraps of evidence and then they build up a tall hypothesis, make misleading surmises or digress a lot from the actual event. It's a highly incomplete subject like any other.
Thank you for your opinion.

Watch your step. I would hate to see you fall off the end of the earth as well.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

He is trying to make the claim that modern day historians accept Biblical History as truth.
By Bible do you mean NT or the Tanakh?

Whatever, much of the narratives in both books is historical and we often read about new archeological finds that corroborate its claims - nations, important people, customary practices, tombs, etc, have been verified by archeological evidence.

Noted historians like Sir William Ramsay, historian A N Sherwin and others accept large parts of biblical history as true.

The metaphysical aspects cannot be verified.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.
I don't want your bottom or any other part of your body.
You can share your bottom with Former and Frijoles. I guess they'd be interested.
HughBe --- Best regards, sweetie and much love from my bottom, of my heart.

Joel----LOL. I don't want your bottom or any other part of your body.

Hugh--- I believe anything that you say, dear.

Joel----You can share your bottom with Former and Frijoles. I guess they'd be interested.

HughBe--- No guessing needed, they have hungered and thirsted for the black hole.

Recall both are scientists and both are masturbators meaning they have masters degrees.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

He is doing that by relaxing the standards of truth but pretending that the discipline of History is just another type of Literature studies, instead of being a discipline in its own right.
Analytical methods apply to both fields of study - Lit and History - and language as a medium of thought and communication is common to both.

So, there are overlaps.

Anyway, in order to understand the civilizations mentioned in the bible, one first needs to read it like a story or a literary piece of work before attempting to verify any of its claims referring to places, personalities, monuments, tombs, customs, etc.

So, I don't see much of a contradiction.

When I studied Shakespeare in school as part of English Lit, we read through most of his important works and analyzed them through the lens of language appreciation but later we also made a study of the history found in it as part of the English Literature project. Julius Cesar is one such example.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
I was under the impression that you simply adored your size - all 14" of it - and that you were proud of your jet-black skin.
Correct me, if I'm wrong.
(smiles)
Joel-- Do you regularly go to a salon for a dick-cure ...

HughBe--- Would that be a cure for size or colour?

Joel---I was under the impression that you simply adored your size - all 14" of it - and that you were proud of your jet-black skin.

Hugh--- size could be increased but the colour would never be changed. I adore my colour and that is no BS. Truthfully, I would rank black and brown to be optimum colours with others coming after.

Joel---Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Hugh-- see above.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

Thank you for your opinion.

Watch your step. I would hate to see you fall off the end of the earth as well.
You're stupid if you think that the history taught in schools and universities is 100 % correct and complete. LOL.

"There are many more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

- William Shakespeare, "Hamlet", Act 1 scene 5.

I doubt if you've studied Shakespeare in school or elsewhere considering the poor command over English (vocab, presentation and grammar) that you have.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

If you continue to read him, he is claiming that since the Bible claims many people witnessed a particular event, it HAD to be true - ignoring the application of universally acceptable Historical methods of investigation within the discipline which would assert OTHERWISE.
So, historians would need video or photographic or minutes-of-the -meeting kind of evidence to believe the eye-witness accounts of a particular ancient event. LOL.

You're stupid.

Eye-witness accounts may be true and can be labelled subjective evidence.

Even in this hi tech age many of us are direct witness to many intriguing, funny, sporting, aesthetic, political, family or paranormal events that are not written about or not recorded on cam or photographed.

The principle is important not the details or the way it is explained. For example, most scientists claim that insentient matter is capable of manifesting sentience, or that an entity of lower information content is capable of giving rise to an entity characterized by a higher degree of information content or that random movements can produce order and so on. These airy claims can be dismissed outright as the innate logical principles are wrong and besides there's no proof to corroborate any of this.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

JOEL THUMBS UP wrote:
<quoted text>
The Big O.
LOL.
Whenever I try to think about sex, a strong impulse of the higher force that's always on and/or in me obfuscates the thought and dissolves it leaving my mind blank (where the sex urge is concerned).
Whenever I begin to get the rare feeble arousal, the same impulse released by the higher force cuts off the nerve sensation and with it any inrush of blood into the blood vessels of the penis stops and I am unmoved.
I do not look at a female with lust but through the eyes of a child and through the intuitive process when I become aware of her deeper impulses and inner nature.
Where sleep is concerned, I have not slept a wink for years on end ever since the higher force transformed sleep into the yogic wakefulness at all times and I feel highly energetic, very fresh and excessively alert 24/7 unless I'm attacked by an adverse force which results in discomfort.
Anyway, the supramental transformation continues in me - I'm just at the threshold of this monumental transformation of mind, vital, body and subconscient. I have miles to go, mon.
Hugh--- I feel the weakening of the body after the explosion.

Joel--The Big O. LOL.

Hugh--- add to that the big AH

Joel---Whenever I try to think about sex, a strong impulse of the higher force that's always on and/or in me obfuscates the thought and dissolves it leaving my mind blank (where the sex urge is concerned).

Hugh--- Pity. My teenaged experiences that I mentioned were real.

Joel---Whenever I begin to get the rare feeble arousal, the same impulse released by the higher force cuts off the nerve sensation and with it any inrush of blood into the blood vessels of the penis stops and I am unmoved.

Hugh--- Given the health benefits I would seek to quash the impulses of the higher forces.

Joel---I do not look at a female with lust but through the eyes of a child and through the intuitive process when I become aware of her deeper impulses and inner nature.

Hugh--- But you are no longer a child and you are an intelligent young man. Do the things that young men do.

Joel--Where sleep is concerned, I have not slept a wink for years on end ever since the higher force transformed sleep into the yogic wakefulness at all times and I feel highly energetic, very fresh and excessively alert 24/7 unless I'm attacked by an adverse force which results in discomfort.

Hugh--- so the force is able to overcome the demands of nature in many ways not just sexual urges.

Joel---Anyway, the supramental transformation continues in me - I'm just at the threshold of this monumental transformation of mind, vital, body and subconscient. I have miles to go, mon.

HughBe---- Will you be dickless after the transformation? I ask because it seems to serve no useful purpose.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>

Joel - You can share your bottom with Former and Frijoles. I guess they'd be interested.

HughBe - No guessing needed, they have hungered and thirsted for the black hole.
LOL.

They're after young boys.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>

Recall both are scientists and both are masturbators meaning they have masters degrees.
LOL.

Yes, but they have poor logical skills and lack a sound grasp of the basics in math and science without which higher studies in scientific disciplines cannot be undertaken and if undertaken it would be a sham. Besides, they've got their degrees from ordinary and nondescript colleges/universities where the academic and intellectual standards are inferior. All this is clearly evident in them.

Anyway.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Your off on private definitions AGAIN.
The rest of the world does not use that definition.
We are seeing a pattern here. Its hard to communicate with someone who makes up their own definitions. Whether we are talking about Judaism or Literature.
HughBe--- Here is HughBe's system. Literature is any book, article etc. on a subject including poems, science and history.

Frijoles---Your off on private definitions AGAIN.

HughBe-- Even if you are correct, my definition remains RIGHT and that is what is important.

Frijoles---The rest of the world does not use that definition.

HughBe--- My kind have always experienced opposition and have NEVER been a part of idiotic traditions.

So when your peer review was done and it was concluded by your peers that the earth was flat my kind said BS.

In essence it takes time for the rest of the world to catch up to and to understand TRUTH and REALITY.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>

Hugh--- so the force is able to overcome the demands of nature in many ways not just sexual urges.
Yes, the supramental transformation has the capacity to dissolve all the ordinary movements of nature and being.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe in Jamaica but not in any American University.
Good enough for Harvard and Yale, good enough for me
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/home/content/schoo...
http://yale.edu/departments/
HughBe --While I appreciate your quote from the AUTHORITATIVE source i.e. wikipedia I am once again telling you that among the properly educated history is regarded as LITERATURE.

Frijoles---Maybe in Jamaica but not in any American University.

Good enough for Harvard and Yale, good enough for me

HughBe--- I would have aimed at bit higher had I been in your position of ignorance and so I would think Oxford and Cambridge.

ENGLISH language came from there and so they would have a better grasp of it than Americans.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Monterey Discussions

Search the Monterey Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 3 min Fly straight 200,357
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 4 min Fly right 4,893
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Mon snodder 2,252
Tim Grobaty: Rock acts once reigned at old Mari... (Jun '10) Jul 27 harry king 4
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Jul 27 Twilight sun 7,848
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Jul 27 Facts facts 15,927
Monterey: Aircraft carrier USS Nimitz expected ... Jul 25 Margaret Smith 6
•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE