Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,301
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#51959 May 8, 2013
Former is one of the biggest dunces here. LOL.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#51960 May 8, 2013
QUESTION:

"The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine."

- Sir James Jeans

(English physicist, astronomer and mathematician)

PS: Most laws are mental constructs - how do we explain this statement? Does it even make sense?

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#51961 May 8, 2013
rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: wow it's no wonder, i am feeling a little crowded. i can remember when colorado, only had a half a million people. where you could feel, at home on deranged. and there were more, prairie dogs than people.
and there were more cattle, in weld county than people in all of colorado. and real cowboys, with sidearms. don't run into, too many indans any more. used to have some indian friends, but have lost track of them over time. and one of them who was in the same unit, was killed in vietnam right before my eyes.
One of the reasons I moved out of Arizona was I saw the same population increase and it drove me crazy. Would rather move back and live in a place which is already crowded, rather than watch a place get spoiled.

Most of the Indians are in SW part of your state I imagine.

I only drive thru the eastern flatlands in Colorado once, when I was younger, and it was pretty darn monotonous, however, according to Wiki the prairie has more variation than one might notice out their car window...

Location hidden

#51962 May 8, 2013
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer the question, if a church taxed you would you pay it?
They already do. Its called dues. And often it is income based.

Location hidden

#51963 May 8, 2013
JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
But, you're the dunce on this thread, right? LOL.
You have anointed many people here with that label. Be consistent or nobody will take you seriously.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#51964 May 8, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>

You have anointed many people here with that label.

Be consistent or nobody will take you seriously.
For me to take a person seriously, yes, very seriously, the person should be highly intellectual, highly fair-minded, highly free-thinking and highly spiritual with him/her being exposed to direct mystical experiences.

Mind-Matter rules.

Yes.

My criticisms of posts are meant as exercises in objectivity, truth and justice.

I hold no grudges against anyone.

I have only goodwill towards all, especially towards you, dear Papa, who I find adorable in so many ways.

I wish you the very best in life.

Location hidden

#51965 May 8, 2013
JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
For me to take a person seriously, yes, very seriously, the person should be highly intellectual, highly fair-minded, highly free-thinking and highly spiritual with him/her being exposed to direct mystical experiences.
Mind-Matter rules.
Yes.
My criticisms of posts are meant as exercises in objectivity, truth and justice.
I hold no grudges against anyone.
I have only goodwill towards all, especially towards you, dear Papa, who I find adorable in so many ways.
I wish you the very best in life.
I guess my sarcasm went over your head, for the moment.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#51966 May 8, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
They already do. Its called dues. And often it is income based.
Interesting. Only the Mormons are listing as requiring it. And same with the magic underwear!

tithe
noun (Concise Encyclopedia)

Contribution of a tenth of one's income for religious purposes. The practice of tithing was established in the Hebrew scriptures and was adopted by the Western Christian church. It was enjoined by ecclesiastical law from the 6th century and enforced in Europe by secular law from the 8th century. After the Reformation, tithes continued to be imposed for the benefit of both the Protestant and Roman Catholic churches. Tithes were eventually repealed in France (1789), Ireland (1871), Italy (1887), and England (1936). In Germany support for churches is collected through the personal income tax and distributed according to the individual's religious affiliation. Tithing was never part of U.S. law, but members of certain churches (e.g., the Mormons) are required to tithe, and members of other churches may tithe voluntarily. Tithing was never accepted by the Eastern Orthodox churches.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#51967 May 8, 2013
JOEL wrote:
<quoted text>
My criticisms of posts are meant as exercises in objectivity...
Clearly untrue.

You are spouting your opinion.

By definition: Subjective.

Location hidden

#51968 May 8, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. Only the Mormons are listing as requiring it. And same with the magic underwear!
tithe
Contribution of a tenth of one's income for religious purposes. The practice of tithing was established in the Hebrew scriptures and was adopted by the Western Christian church. It was enjoined by ecclesiastical law from the 6th century and enforced in Europe by secular law from the 8th century. After the Reformation, tithes continued to be imposed for the benefit of both the Protestant and Roman Catholic churches. Tithes were eventually repealed in France (1789), Ireland (1871), Italy (1887), and England (1936). In Germany support for churches is collected through the personal income tax and distributed according to the individual's religious affiliation. Tithing was never part of U.S. law, but members of certain churches (e.g., the Mormons) are required to tithe, and members of other churches may tithe voluntarily. Tithing was never accepted by the Eastern Orthodox churches.
I might have stepped a bit too forward out of my shoes with that comment.

Synagogues usually require dues. Often, but not always, they are income based. Or at least unofficially. I assumed churches worked the same way. Maybe not. If not, maybe because they dont provide as many social services to their congregants as synagogues typically do?

Location hidden

#51969 May 8, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
tithe
Also, in almost 100% of the synagogues, anyone can come in and pray etc, without joining. But if you make it a regular habit, usually it is assumed you will join and start paying dues.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#51970 May 8, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
I might have stepped a bit too forward out of my shoes with that comment.
Synagogues usually require dues. Often, but not always, they are income based. Or at least unofficially. I assumed churches worked the same way. Maybe not. If not, maybe because they dont provide as many social services to their congregants as synagogues typically do?
Wow, so you have to tell them your income?!

That's between me, TurboTax and the man.

At mass they passed the collection basket and they took what they got - though some folks gave more formally/regularly. And then of course there were the bequests.

The Catholic Church seems pretty flush. And they do a lot of charity work around the world.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#51971 May 8, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Are other churches special?
HughBe---"Indeed, the church that I attend has SPECIAL people but the church itself is not special."

Frijoles---Are other churches special?

HughBe---- Your question demonstrates that you are a "special" person. Now pay very close attention to my words which you responded to.

My words, "the church itself is not special". Sit in a corner and contemplate those words.

Hint: There cannot be "OTHER" special churches if basic comprehension skills are applied.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#51972 May 8, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
HughBe---"Indeed, the church that I attend has SPECIAL people but the church itself is not special."
HughBe---- Your question demonstrates that you are a "special" person. Now pay very close attention to my words which you responded to.
My words, "the church itself is not special". Sit in a corner and contemplate those words.
Hint: There cannot be "OTHER" special churches if basic comprehension skills are applied.
Again, why do you go to church?

What is the name of your religion?

Is it too special to have a name?

Do you tithe? How much $?

Location hidden

#51973 May 8, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, so you have to tell them your income?!
That's between me, TurboTax and the man.
At mass they passed the collection basket and they took what they got - though some folks gave more formally/regularly. And then of course there were the bequests.
The Catholic Church seems pretty flush. And they do a lot of charity work around the world.
Of course not. Its done on the honor basis. And most synagogues have the official flat fee, but everyone knows that you can adjust according to your ability....and others are officially income based...

Synagogues are all independent organizations. They dont get money from a central org like Catholics do.

They have to pay clergy, supporting staff, building and property expenses, plus congregant and community services such as charity meals, and some catering for events. And then there are Hebrew school fees for those who have children enrolled. Dues NEVER cover real costs, so there there are many many opportunities to donate as the year goes along, in honor of happy events, memorials, or just for specific stuff.

Location hidden

#51974 May 8, 2013
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Perfectly reasonable question which in your typical fashion you have dodged, obscured, bolted from, and weaved around.

Someday you will get the rules of proper communication right

Until then, you are sentenced to a lonely existence.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#51975 May 8, 2013
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, why do you go to church?
What is the name of your religion?
Is it too special to have a name?
Do you tithe? How much $?
HughBe--- Let me thank you for enjoying and being captivated by the things that I write. Your request for REPETITION is one indicator of the truth of my words.

Former---Again, why do you go to church?

HughBe--- Pay close attention, I go because I am NOT "special" as you no doubt are.

Former---What is the name of your religion?

HughBe--- Some call it Christianity

Former---Is it too special to have a name?

HughBe--- Intelligent

Former---Do you tithe? How much $?

HughBe--- No and obviously NO for the second question.

Why do you ask? Do you want to know how much to tithe?

What is tithing?

Who should collect tithes?

Is it rabbis or LEVITICAL priests?

Suppose tithe means a tenth, do you think that collecting a tenth and renaming it changes the fact that you are collecting money fraudulently?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#51976 May 8, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Perfectly reasonable question which in your typical fashion you have dodged, obscured, bolted from, and weaved around.
Someday you will get the rules of proper communication right
Until then, you are sentenced to a lonely existence.
Poor Frijoles, let me try one more time.

HughBe---- the church itself is not special and so there cannot be "OTHER" special churches.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#51977 May 8, 2013
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not. Its done on the honor basis. And most synagogues have the official flat fee, but everyone knows that you can adjust according to your ability....and others are officially income based...
Synagogues are all independent organizations. They dont get money from a central org like Catholics do.
They have to pay clergy, supporting staff, building and property expenses, plus congregant and community services such as charity meals, and some catering for events. And then there are Hebrew school fees for those who have children enrolled. Dues NEVER cover real costs, so there there are many many opportunities to donate as the year goes along, in honor of happy events, memorials, or just for specific stuff.
Sounds a lot like tithing (by definition income-based), possibly with variation on the percentage expected. Though I think we just tossed some money in the basket. They had special "offering" envelopes where you could write your name and address for the more serious givers.

I don't know if the typical church gets money from the central office or pays money TO HQ. Maybe each according to its means.

Of course they've been pretty tapped out too with all the molestation lawsuits.

And I know many parents have complained about the steep increases in tuition at parochial schools (not to mention the closure/consolidations of the schools).
Voluntarist

United States

#51978 May 8, 2013
Americans Convinced Gun Homicides Soar Despite Actual Plunge In
Gun Crimes
Submitted by Tyler Durden on 05/07/2013 20:14 -0400
Consumer Sentiment Jim Cramer Reality Reuters
In yet another example of the massive gap between the American
people's perception of what is going on around them (whether by
propaganda channels or simply cognitive bias) and the actual reality,
Reuters reports that while gun-related homicides are down 39% from
the 1993 peak, only 12% of people believe that gun crimes have
fallen. Non-fatal firearm crimes declined by 69% to 467,300 in the
same period but 56% of Americans believe that gun crime is higher
now than it was 20 years ago, the Pew Research Center said its poll
showed. The dichotomy between record food stamp usage (and non-
employment) and multi-year highs in consumer sentiment comes to
mind - we wonder which is more 'real'.
Highlights of the report:
Firearm-related homicides declined 39%, from 18,253 in 1993 to
11,101 in 2011.
Nonfatal firearm crimes declined 69%, from 1.5 million victimizations
in 1993 to 467,300 victimizations in 2011.
For both fatal and nonfatal firearm victimizations, the majority of the
decline occurred during the 10-year period from 1993 to 2002.
Firearm violence accounted for about 70% of all homicides and less
than 10% of all nonfatal violent crime from 1993 to 2011.
About 70% to 80% of firearm homicides and 90% of nonfatal firearm
victimizations were committed with a handgun from 1993 to 2011.
From 1993 to 2010, males, blacks, and persons ages 18 to 24 had the
highest rates of firearm homicide.
In 2007-11, about 23% of victims of nonfatal firearm crime were
injured.
About 61% of nonfatal firearm violence was reported to the police in
2007-11.
In 2007-11, less than 1% of victims in all nonfatal violent crimes
reported using a firearm to defend themselves during the incident.
In 2004, among state prison inmates who possessed a gun at the
time of offense, less than 2% bought their firearm at a flea market or
gun show and 40% obtained their firearm from an illegal source.
Males, blacks, and persons ages 18 to 24 were most likely to be
victims of firearm violence

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-05-07/amer...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kristen Scannell Saratoga Springs NY Adds New H... Dec 23 Kristen Scannell ... 2
Carmel River diverted to allow dam removal, pre... Dec 16 Clint 1
Calif. cop may be fired for giving suicidal stu... Dec 13 John Smith 1
Who do you think is the MOST corrupt Monterey C... Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 5
Help! In need of opiates preferably boi Dec 5 Njp9080 1
the music thread (Apr '12) Dec 2 Musikologist 18
Monterey Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Monterey News, Events & Info