Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.

Comments (Page 2,143)

Showing posts 42,841 - 42,860 of64,971
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Triple chuckle

(though the use of the word drivel IS a bit harsh IMO)

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

idgaf wrote:
CoR: I don't believe in god due to lack of evidence. I am an atheist.
Idgaf: you've never from your early childhood believed in a higher power than yourself?
You're not one of those people that claim atheists worship themselves as gods, are you? I had higher hopes for you.
idgaf wrote:
Really? What did you say the last time something bad happened to you? OMG?
OMG is a figure of speech and does not speak to one's theological belief system.
idgaf wrote:
CoR: I assumed you were agnostic based on your previous posts where you seemed to question the existence of god and/or his attributes, claiming it was unknowable.
Idgaf: the fact that I claim that God is unknowable cannot be why I would be agnostic. I am 100 percent convinced that it is not possible to know God and that He/She/It is something humans simply don't understand.
Like I said - text book definition of agnosticism. Agnosticism deals with knowledge, not belief.

Agnostic: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable.
idgaf wrote:
That being said, I believe there is something more powerful than I, what it is, I don't know, but I believe that energy is there somewhere. Call it God, call it Jesus, Call it Heaven or what you may.
Sounds to me like you are an agnostic theist. Similarly, I am an agnostic atheist.
idgaf wrote:
Idgaf: you are quick ... At times I think you are nearly following me and at times you misunderstand what I state. The point of the question was to bring the exact answer without the "prick" to light.
Thanks, but where do you think I misunderstood you? I knew exactly what the point of the question was, even if you didn't like the way I answered it.
idgaf wrote:
Why would you waste time trying to pease something that you cannot possibly understand? Going to church. Reading the bible, torah, etc? Praying? In my mind, you will be better prepared to simply live your life and leave nothing on the table.
Agreed
idgaf wrote:
If God is there, you will find out in due time, if God is not there, you will never know.
Spoken like a true agnostic. My sentiments exactly.
idgaf wrote:
CoR: OTOH, I might still study one or more of the above topics in an effort to better educate myself, even if I don't intend to take any test.
Idgaf: was not the point of the question, but a good thought none-the-less.
Do I get extra credit ;-)
idgaf wrote:
Why are you an athiest?
I thought I was pretty clear on this. I'm an atheist because I see no compelling evidence for the existence of a supernatural god.
idgaf wrote:
Is it possible nothing more powerful than the human exists?
Sure it's possible, but the question really isn't whether or not it's possible. The possibility of something existing doesn't mean it actually does or doesn't. For that, we need evidence. Anything is "possible". Even the existence of Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny.
idgaf wrote:
Like I said, I believe in what I call God, but it is not like the masses believe. The books tell stories that were put together by humans. You mentioned or asked why I need a God to live. I don't. I choose to believe in something greater than myself 'cause like the ants, we are much more powerful than they and so something more powerful than us is out there somewhere.
Faulty logic. Just because something more "powerful" than ants exists (whatever that means), it doesn't follow logically that something more "powerful" than humans MUST exist. By that logic, you end up in an infinite regress where something more powerful than god MUST exist.
idgaf wrote:
We have simply not met that yet. Is it God? Is it alien? Is it our Maker? Who knows. That's one of the mysteries.
It's an imaginary mystery of your own making.
dognz

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

youtube.com/watch... ……
I dunno I think they are no honest about it

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

idgaf wrote:
Idgaf: mom was catholic turned to another christian branch.
You stated in your original post that she converted TO Christianity. Do you not consider Catholics to be Christians, or did you just communicate that poorly?
idgaf wrote:
CoR: Why can't your life have reason or purpose without a god?
Idgaf: I'm perfectly fine. Where's ur question coming from? Angle?
No "angle". Some people believe god must exist in order for us to have purpose and meaning in our lives. Just trying to see where you stand on that issue.
idgaf wrote:
Too many people need to believe. Read my posts from earlier. Maybe I was asleep writing and confused u.
If someone "needs" to believe, I don't fault them for it. We all have wants and needs. Many of these wants and needs are common across humanity. It's just the way we deal with them that differs.
idgaf wrote:
CoR: The only thing a god would provide is an externally determined purpose. You can still have an internally determined purpose(s) without a god. And why do we need childish stories of eternal reward or damnation to coerce us into being good. I certainly don't. Do you?
Idgaf: read what I wrote and interpret as you wish ... I am getting "we are in violent agreement" from you on many points in a strange sort of way
I agree, we have more in common than certain others on this forum. What I'm still trying to understand it what drives you to believe in a higher power. Unless I misunderstood, you seem to acknowledge that god is unknowable. You also seem to agree that a person can have meaning and purpose in life without god. So what drives you to believe that a higher power exists?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Frijoles wrote:
Triple chuckle
He calls 'em like he sees 'em.
former res

Broomall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
Triple chuckle
A couple of days ago he said (1) that when he looks in the mirror, he sees god, and (2) that whatever he accepts/approves of, so does his god.

I'm going to have to go ahead and stand by the word.

driv·el

/ˈdrivəl/

Noun

Silly nonsense: "don't talk such drivel!".

However, as always, I repect anyone's right to disagree.

:))

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

idgaf wrote:
you've never from your early childhood believed in a higher power than yourself?
I realize I may have misinterpreted your response as hostile when, in fact, I shouldn't have.

In answer to your question, I was raised in a religious household. As my critical thinking skills developed and I began questioning what I was taught, I came to realize how improbable that it was actually true.

I'm the type of person that likes to know whether what I believe in is true or not. Faith (belief without evidence), doesn't cut it for me.

Hope this answers your question in a more thoughtful manner.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of days ago he said (1) that when he looks in the mirror, he sees god, and (2) that whatever he accepts/approves of, so does his god.
I'm going to have to go ahead and stand by the word.
driv·el
/&#712;driv&#601;l/
Noun
Silly nonsense: "don't talk such drivel!".
However, as always, I repect anyone's right to disagree.
:))
No question it was drivel. But I was merely trying to take the edge out of the conversation. Sure Hughbe often posts demeaning and insulting verbiage, but that latest exchange was a little less so (more humorous than anything), and my responses were more towards ribbing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

I prefer the word babble to drivel. Dunno why.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>

No "angle". Some people believe god must exist in order for us to have purpose and meaning in our lives. Just trying to see where you stand on that issue.
<quoted text>
Others (like me) create meaning for their lives on their own, but still accept a God notion. There is that middle ground too.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Frijoles wrote:
I prefer the word babble to drivel. Dunno why.
I prefer to use the word "babble" more as a verb and "drivel" as a known.

For example:

Huggy likes to babble on and on, spouting such silly drivel.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Others (like me) create meaning for their lives on their own, but still accept a God notion. There is that middle ground too.
Understood. But I see the two as mutually exclusive.

I was addressing the throngs of fundies that believe you MUST have a god in order to have meaning and purpose in life. These are the people that typically say such things as "well, it you're an atheist, why don't you just kill yourself since your life has no meaning or purpose".

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Understood. But I see the two as mutually exclusive.
I was addressing the throngs of fundies that believe you MUST have a god in order to have meaning and purpose in life. These are the people that typically say such things as "well, it you're an atheist, why don't you just kill yourself since your life has no meaning or purpose".
But they are not mutually exclusive. Only to Christian fundies they are.

Another example - Do deists rely on God to provide them meaning and purpose?
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

JOEL wrote:
Vegetarianism - food with a lofty philosophy, karma-free food.
rabbee: helpless plant murderer! they can't even try to run. due to their, religious upbringing. they can't even fight back, as the only true innocent victems.

so eat your own dirt, you shamefull critter. plants only refine the dirt, for it's own purpose. and animal that eat the plants, just refine the dirt more to their own purpose. they are all, just physical dirt refineries.

all prejudices - are just a matter of the vain perspective, of the totally ignorant of G-D. since it is all made of physical dirt, then you must eat of your own dirt you whole life.

if G-D taboo's anything, you must be missing the reasoning for it. for those who eat, of their horse-crap in the dark shall be called mushrooms. there is more than just physical food, to TheHis Domain. and their are deadlie poisons, in both the physical and mental domains. as most of you, are a G-Dless talksick spill.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
But they are not mutually exclusive. Only to Christian fundies they are.
Another example - Do deists rely on God to provide them meaning and purpose?
Perhaps bad phrasing on my part. Let me retry.

I am asserting that belief in god is not a prerequisite to having meaning/purpose in life.

Fundies assert that beielf in (or more importantly, existence of) god IS a prerequisite to having meaning/purpose in life.

If I'm not mistaken, you are in agreement with my assertion. You believe in god, and you might even believe some or all of your purpose might come from god, but you don't see it as a prerequisite for everyone.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
So, there is "clean" and "unclean" food. The designations may change according to belief, but you recognize that there are foods that are proper to eat and foods that are improper to eat.
rabbee: if it changes, according to your! belief. then i may be something wrong, with your very own someone elses franken-beliefs. and all franken-beliefs, usually have the mind of a criminal element in their somewhere.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: helpless plant murderer! they can't even try to run. due to their, religious upbringing. they can't even fight back, as the only true innocent victems.
There is nothing more violent in this world then watching your veggies in a food processor.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

MUQ wrote:
Which “Sword” the Prophet Used against his enemies: Part-45
Enemies of Islam represent our prophet as a very cruel and blood thirsty man, who would kill his “opponents, enemies and any one who disagreed with him” at “the drop of hat” and all his adversaries would be “terrified” at the mere sight of him.
The picture is far from true, let us look at some incidents from the life of prophet, as what was “this sword which killed the enmity for ever”
The Case of : ABDULLAH (DUL BAJADAIN)
He was a young lad, whose father died when he was quite young.. His uncle took care of him and provided him with camels and other items of daily life, to improve his lot.
Abdullah heard about Islam when he was very young, he was afraid of his uncle and was hoping that he would become Muslim sooner or later. When prophet conquered Makkah and still his uncle did not accept Islam, he went to his uncle and told “I was waiting all these years, hoping that you would accept Islam, but it seems you have no interest in it, but I want to accept Islam”
‘If you want to become Muslim you will have to forgo all your wealth including clothes on your body” his uncle told harshly.
Abdullah immediately renounce all his wealth and dress on his body and went to his mother, naked and told that he has left all his wealth and he want to go to Madina to become Muslim. His mother gave him one blanket, which he cut in two pieces and wrapped around his torso and his shoulder and went to Madina.
He reached Madina during night and went to Prophet’s mosque and waited for prophet to emerge. Prophet saw him after morning prayer and asked his story, Abdullah told his full story, prophet was very much impressed by his sincerity and his faith. He accepted Islam and prophet gave him nickname DUL BAJADAIN which means “One with two blankets”.
Abdullah joined the group of SUFFA and started his learning of Quran and Islamic way of life. Shortly afterward Battle of Tabuk took place. DUL BAJADAIN went to prophet and said “O Messenger of Allah, pray to Allah that I receive martyrdom in this battle”
Prophet asked him to bring the bark of a tree to him. When he came with the bark, prophet tied it on his arm as an arm band and said “O Allah! I prohibit that any Non believer should shed his blood”
DUL BAJADAIN said “I wanted martyrdom, but you have said a thing totally opposite” Prophet replied “If you go forward in way of Allah and you die due to any cause, you are a martyr”
When the army reached Tabuk, DUL BAJADAIN was inflicted with high fever and he died after a brief illness. He was buried during night, with Bilal holding the torch, and Abu Bakr and Omar were lowering him in the grave and prophet was sitting near the grave giving instruction.
When the body was lowered in the grave, prophet prayed “O Allah! I was happy with him till this evening, you also become happy with him”
IBN MASOOD wished,“Oh would I have been in this grave”.
Such was the strange story of Abdullah i.e. DUL BAJADAIN victim of Prophet’ and Islam’ love.
Source: Companions of Prophet: by Talib Hashmi
rabbee: the one through, their own dead neck.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

"So I guess my detector on God is that whenever someone uses what they feel as evidence instead of what they think as evidence or what they can prove as evidence, I’m very, very skeptical. The most important thing is to feel about things you feel about — should feel about — and think about things you should think about. You should not feel about the speed of light or evolution and you should not think about love. You should feel “I love you,” you should think about reality. And when someone says they feel the universe was created by a God, that’s nonsense, just like saying, you know,“I’ve thought about it and maybe I should love you.” Don’t mix those two." - Penn Jillette
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not the author? Did someone else write your post for you?
I said you were class CONSCIOUS. i.e. you were conscious of class distinctions. Obviously you are, or you would of never made that observation.
How much haughtiness or arrogance is imputed by that observation is a secondary, but related discussion.
rabbee: what his make believe seintence, is from some one elses life? and is given power to move, by someone elses controlling power? oh! how novel, his life is from someone elses novel. now we k-need to know, is it really G-D, or is it really the daemon posing as a g-d.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 42,841 - 42,860 of64,971
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance