Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,012
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

“Where is Cookeville?”

Since: Dec 07

Cookeville

#46262 Dec 28, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post.
Truth is, I remember you posting your view back in the old days (good sense of consistency!), therefore I always considered you real. Not just because of your live and let live attitude, but because you think....Wish more people would be reflective here :)
I am not phobic about other religious practices and beliefs. They pose no threat to my self concept, or my group concept either.
I do react to those who actively work to dissolve my self or group concept. I dont see that as a phobia, I see that as a rational response. And I am not shy about correcting falsehoods about my religion. These have been my rules of engagement here.
I like that. I enjoy correcting false assumptions about my religion as well, possibly to the extent that I alienate people. But, it's my faith, so, I prefer committing the act of the correction itself and the alienation that will inevitably occur to the continued false "assumption" that people I may actually know, respect, or even love may labor under. And no, I do not consider myself any sort of "Theologian" or "Learned Person," no delusions of granduer and not even particularily well-read (though, I do admit, I research a LOT. I have always enjoyed exposing myself to what I personally consider "the Truth," and in doing so I have had to force myself at first, and then rapidly devour, even those seemingly conflicting points-of-contention that various atheistic family members have had of the New Testament Bible.) It's not always comfortable, but it most definately is rewarding, probably the most rewarding thing a person can engage in on a fundamental "what really matters in life" level. Am I right? I hope so. If I'm not, well, even the atheists I talk to, they were atheists when I started so they will be anyway when I'm gone. At least I tried. If they were right it doesn't matter, If I am maybe it didn't matter either because I got it wrong, and if neither of us are right well... we'll see what happens. The most prominent minister of the American Methodist Church even admitted he had no real answers, only the Bible, and Martin Luther answered the question of faith to begin with much more famously than that. On a lighter note, 12-21-2012 came and went with neither whimper nor bang. Completely as expected. I don't know about you, but I went through that day exactly as I have the last for 4 years straight now... up early to water and feed my cattle. Open the chicken coup, get the eggs. Feed the pigs. Fix the fence, spend 4 hours dedicated to technologically revive what is probably a dead industry that will probably be just another money-pit because it is defunct for a reason because there is no "technological" upgrade to something that apparently defies technological or common-sense solutions to making it economically feasible, and then shutting everything back down again before going to bed, completely confident of waking up the next morning to a situation that had not changed. I was not disappointed. But, it did get me thinking, when I had time to think about it. 2012 was a good year for nothing else if it was NOT a good year for some drama. Obama got re-elected, Harold Camping was wrong twice, the Mayans proved to be jackasses, and there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of people still hanging out inexplicably in various holes-in-grounds or caves with stored-up food supplies and such if the History Channel and National Geographic and even MSNBC were watched by the lunatic-fringe over the last twelve months. There SHOULD be some humor that ANYBODY, Muslim, Jew, Christian, Mormon, whatever you want to call yourself, should be able to take from that.
JOEL

Mumbai, India

#46268 Dec 29, 2012
Nobel Prizes are rigged by powerful lobbies with vested interests.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#46269 Dec 29, 2012
JOEL wrote:
Nobel Prizes are rigged by powerful lobbies with vested interests.
Greeting Joel, now tell me why you would say such a stupid thing?

Could it be that Nobel prize winners are supposedly BRIGHT and come from countries where the people are BRIGHT and yet the countries with the BRIGHTEST people get very little if any of these prizes?

Hong Kong is ranked number 1 in terms of IQ on the list in the link below and so how often do people from Hong Kong get Nobel prizes?

What about people from countries much lower down the list of BRIGHTNESS? How often do they get the Nobel prizes?

Below is one site that list countries by IQ's.

http://www.sq.4mg.com/NationIQ.htm
idgaf

Tewksbury, MA

#46270 Dec 29, 2012
Muq: If you have no little kids, that does not mean that you should not be concerned with the problem?
Idgaf: no, only means that I'm not as close to it as others. The problem is not an easy one to solve.
Muq: If there is "no solution" for these problems, then why is all this hue and cry in the media?
Idgaf: the media is about ratings and not about doing. The only person doing anything about this is Joe RPieHole in AZ. He's putting armed guards at schools.
Muq: And why you call these people as "my terrorist mafia"? Why you involve me into these acts?
Idgaf: you stated earlier that you guys don't have these kinds of problems and I beg to differ as you guys :abve been at war for 1000s of yrs. Unfortunately, your people own those crazy terrorists and they taint your culture. As do these nuts in our American society.
Muq: Crazy suicide bombers are just as weird as those gun tottering terrorists of your society. Both kill innocent people.
Idgaf: you and I are in agreement here, we can all do without these screwed up people. Fortunately for all of us, those nuts are a very small number of people.
Muq: It seems both of us are living in glass houses, so we should not throw stones at each others and try to solve this common problem that plagues our society.
Idgaf: my point exactly on my earlier post. I can't just throw rocks at you, but you certainly shouldn't throw them either. These crazy people are a serious problem, unfortunately, there is not a simple way to exterminate them or change them.
Muq:Just demonizing each other and pointing fingers at each other would not solve the problem.
Idgaf: thanks for a very good post, it's refreshing to read your thoughts and not your pastes.
Frijoles

Stamford, CT

#46271 Dec 29, 2012
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Well why not produce a superior work to that of your rabbis?
Share your understanding of the role of translations generally and here I am speaking about the spoken and written words.
Here is my gift to you.

Let us know after you have completed the first few chapters and we can give this issue the attention you think it rightfully deserves.

Learn Biblical Hebrew [Hardcover]
http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Biblical-Hebrew-J...
Frijoles

Stamford, CT

#46272 Dec 29, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
And I do not know any Nobel Prize that your Tiny state of Isreal has won. Jews working in US and Europe have won many Nobel prizes, but working and serving under the Christians.
I guess google is too complicated a tool for you

IsraelSee also: List of Jewish Nobel laureates

1.Dan Shechtman, Chemistry, 2011
2.Ada E. Yonath, Chemistry, 2009
3.Robert Aumann, born in Germany, Economics, 2005
4.Aaron Ciechanover, Chemistry, 2004
5.Avram Hershko, born in Hungary, Chemistry, 2004
6.Daniel Kahneman, Economics, 2002
7.Yitzhak Rabin, Peace, 1994
8.Shimon Peres, born in what was then Poland, now Belarus, Peace, 1994
9.Menachem Begin, born in what was then Russia, now Belarus, Peace, 1978
10.Shmuel Yosef Agnon, born in what was then Austria-Hungary, now Ukraine, Literature, 1966

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_la...
Frijoles

Stamford, CT

#46273 Dec 29, 2012
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Greeting Joel, now tell me why you would say such a stupid thing?
Could it be that Nobel prize winners are supposedly BRIGHT and come from countries where the people are BRIGHT and yet the countries with the BRIGHTEST people get very little if any of these prizes?
Hong Kong is ranked number 1 in terms of IQ on the list in the link below and so how often do people from Hong Kong get Nobel prizes?
What about people from countries much lower down the list of BRIGHTNESS? How often do they get the Nobel prizes?
Below is one site that list countries by IQ's.
http://www.sq.4mg.com/NationIQ.htm
Lol...I coudnt help but notice that Jamaica was listed as 70th on that list.

I place no stock in IQ as a measure of anything.

The point I was making earlier was that Israel was a leader in innovation - and that can be measured independently of either IQ or Nobel prize.
Frijoles

Stamford, CT

#46274 Dec 29, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
But the thing about which Isreal is known world over and shall be known is for its racist policies and the crimes it commits on innocent Palestinian me, women and children.
More likely, Israel is known among certain radical ideological Muslim circles for "its racist policies and the crimes it commits on innocent Palestinian me, women and children.." ....and to the rest of the world it is recognized for its high tech, its agriculture innovations, and in general its scientific contributions to the rest of the world.

Regarding your mode of thinking on the issue:

prej·u·dice (prj-ds)
n.
a. An adverse judgment or opinion formed beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts.
b. A preconceived preference or idea.
2. The act or state of holding unreasonable preconceived judgments or convictions. See Synonyms at predilection.
3. Irrational suspicion or hatred of a particular group, race, or religion.
Frijoles

Stamford, CT

#46275 Dec 29, 2012
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
My undestanding of the Nobel prize areas, or at least the areas within science (vs peace and economics) is that they are weighed heavily towards those that contribute within their respective fields.

So the question you should be examining is what does it take to be recognized within your field?

The great thing about the scientific enterprise is that it is not constrained by nationality. I.E. most scientific journals are international. Therefore, it matters less whether you are Saudi, or Russian, or Trinidadian, and more if you publish something.

Now, I admit, it can be noted that not all countries financially support their scientific enterprises equally. Thats probably a better indicator of national success than ethnic belief.

But on the other hand, when you believe that the world was built in seven days literally, that cant make you a good geologist etc etc.
Frijoles

Stamford, CT

#46277 Dec 29, 2012
saviorself wrote:
<quoted text>
I like that. I enjoy correcting false assumptions about my religion as well, possibly to the extent that I alienate people. But, it's my faith, so, I prefer committing the act of the correction itself and the alienation that will inevitably occur to the continued false "assumption" that people I may actually know, respect, or even love may labor under. And no, I do not consider myself any sort of "Theologian" or "Learned Person," no delusions of granduer and not even particularily well-read (though, I do admit, I research a LOT. I have always enjoyed exposing myself to what I personally consider "the Truth," and in doing so I have had to force myself at first, and then rapidly devour, even those seemingly conflicting points-of-contention that various atheistic family members have had of the New Testament Bible.) It's not always comfortable, but it most definately is rewarding, probably the most rewarding thing a person can engage in on a fundamental "what really matters in life" level. Am I right? I hope so. If I'm not, well, even the atheists I talk to, they were atheists when I started so they will be anyway when I'm gone. At least I tried. If they were right it doesn't matter, If I am maybe it didn't matter either because I got it wrong, and if neither of us are right well... we'll see what happens. The most prominent minister of the American Methodist Church even admitted he had no real answers, only the Bible, and Martin Luther answered the question of faith to begin with much more famously than that.
What seems to be at the heart of the matter (to me at least) is not what is absolute right, but what is right living...

And that would be a philosophy, not an answer. Therefore it would seem to be most meaningful, it would HAVE to be tailored toward each individual.
Frijoles

Stamford, CT

#46278 Dec 29, 2012
saviorself wrote:
<quoted text>
. On a lighter note, 12-21-2012 came and went with neither whimper nor bang. Completely as expected. I don't know about you, but I went through that day exactly as I have the last for 4 years straight now... up early to water and feed my cattle. Open the chicken coup, get the eggs. Feed the pigs. Fix the fence, spend 4 hours dedicated to technologically revive what is probably a dead industry that will probably be just another money-pit because it is defunct for a reason because there is no "technological" upgrade to something that apparently defies technological or common-sense solutions to making it economically feasible, and then shutting everything back down again before going to bed, completely confident of waking up the next morning to a situation that had not changed. I was not disappointed. But, it did get me thinking, when I had time to think about it. 2012 was a good year for nothing else if it was NOT a good year for some drama. Obama got re-elected, Harold Camping was wrong twice, the Mayans proved to be jackasses, and there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of people still hanging out inexplicably in various holes-in-grounds or caves with stored-up food supplies and such if the History Channel and National Geographic and even MSNBC were watched by the lunatic-fringe over the last twelve months. There SHOULD be some humor that ANYBODY, Muslim, Jew, Christian, Mormon, whatever you want to call yourself, should be able to take from that.
Dont blame the poor Mayans. Their culture and belied system is undoubtably 100% more complicated than the water down "prophecy" that a few white people ran with.

Personally one of the funniest stories of 2012 to me was that Mitt Romney and Karl Rove, two of the more powerful wealthy folks in the US, with unlimited access to resources, were themselves victims to their party's own media bubble. Honestly (with no sarcasm), who would of thought?

Perhaps someone should of hooked their cable up to National Geographic as well.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#46284 Dec 29, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is my gift to you.
Let us know after you have completed the first few chapters and we can give this issue the attention you think it rightfully deserves.
Learn Biblical Hebrew [Hardcover]
http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Biblical-Hebrew-J...
Your gift is appreciated nevertheless you have not dealt with my post.

Recall, why not produce a superior work to that of your rabbis?
Share your understanding of the role of translations generally and here I am speaking about the spoken and written words.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#46285 Dec 29, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol...I coudnt help but notice that Jamaica was listed as 70th on that list.
I place no stock in IQ as a measure of anything.
The point I was making earlier was that Israel was a leader in innovation - and that can be measured independently of either IQ or Nobel prize.
Frijoles---Lol...I coudnt help but notice that Jamaica was listed as 70th on that list.

HughBe--- Great observation and do you know that I am among the least of the Jamaicans?

Currently you are struggling with one who is among the least of the Jamaicans. Now, can you imagine your plight when you try to engage an average Jamaican?
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#46286 Dec 29, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
My undestanding of the Nobel prize areas, or at least the areas within science (vs peace and economics) is that they are weighed heavily towards those that contribute within their respective fields.
So the question you should be examining is what does it take to be recognized within your field?
The great thing about the scientific enterprise is that it is not constrained by nationality. I.E. most scientific journals are international. Therefore, it matters less whether you are Saudi, or Russian, or Trinidadian, and more if you publish something.
Now, I admit, it can be noted that not all countries financially support their scientific enterprises equally. Thats probably a better indicator of national success than ethnic belief.
But on the other hand, when you believe that the world was built in seven days literally, that cant make you a good geologist etc etc.
Frijoles---My undestanding of the Nobel prize areas, or at least the areas within science (vs peace and economics) is that they are weighed heavily towards those that contribute within their respective fields.

HughBe--- In essence brighter people are less equipped to contribute to their fields. So the prizes tend to go to those who are less gifted but are MORE capable than their superiors, intellectually speaking.
Frijoles

Stamford, CT

#46287 Dec 29, 2012
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Frijoles---My undestanding of the Nobel prize areas, or at least the areas within science (vs peace and economics) is that they are weighed heavily towards those that contribute within their respective fields.
HughBe--- In essence brighter people are less equipped to contribute to their fields. So the prizes tend to go to those who are less gifted but are MORE capable than their superiors, intellectually speaking.
Opinion.

Obviously you have never participated in a scientific career.
Frijoles

Stamford, CT

#46288 Dec 29, 2012
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Frijoles---Lol...I coudnt help but notice that Jamaica was listed as 70th on that list.
HughBe--- Great observation and do you know that I am among the least of the Jamaicans?
Currently you are struggling with one who is among the least of the Jamaicans. Now, can you imagine your plight when you try to engage an average Jamaican?
Like I said, I dont really think IQ is an indicator of anything (my opinion) worthwhile in terms of intellectual productivity.

But if it was, being a fish in a smaller pool seems to me to be a startegy that is more successful than a fish in a big pool.

So you are likley ahead of the game, as long as you jump into a bigger pool.
Frijoles

Stamford, CT

#46289 Dec 29, 2012
correction

As long as you DONT jump into the bigger pool
Frijoles

Stamford, CT

#46290 Dec 29, 2012
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Your gift is appreciated nevertheless you have not dealt with my post.
Recall, why not produce a superior work to that of your rabbis?
My gift will lead you to answer your questions.

Bon appetit!
Eric

Roselle, IL

#46291 Dec 29, 2012
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>

I take it that the IDENTITY of the speaker is "1:13", in your mind, but it is not in my mind so please name the Speaker or name the object that is speaking IN VERSE 2.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

A tool in discovering the speaker of scripture is to look to the first part of the work. Therefore, in Zechariyah one can find the speaker in "Chapter" 1 of the "Book", and in particular, in "verses" 13 and 14.
Eric

Roselle, IL

#46292 Dec 29, 2012
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
FOCUS, my boy.
Who are the Lubavitchers?
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; Teach him to use the Internet, and he won't bother you for weeks!

www.google.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Carmel River diverted to allow dam removal, pre... Dec 16 Clint 1
Calif. cop may be fired for giving suicidal stu... Dec 13 John Smith 1
Kristen Scannell Saratoga Springs NY Adds New H... Dec 12 Alex Montgomery 1
Who do you think is the MOST corrupt Monterey C... Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 5
Help! In need of opiates preferably boi Dec 5 Njp9080 1
the music thread (Apr '12) Dec 2 Musikologist 18
Monterey Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web