Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 69,397
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#42874 Nov 5, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
not a moment too soon. Noreaster coming, and it is coooold out now.
Trying to get my Oak tree cut down before the storm. Found someone that can come by Wednesday. Going to set me back $1700.

Location hidden

#42875 Nov 5, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
not a moment too soon. Noreaster coming, and it is coooold out now.
Turned the furnace back on this morning and have it firing on all cylinders. Will probably take a few hours to get the house back to a decent temperature.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#42876 Nov 5, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to get my Oak tree cut down before the storm. Found someone that can come by Wednesday. Going to set me back $1700.
Recover at least some of the cost by selling the wood for furniture.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42877 Nov 5, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
My parents property have 6 huge pine trees that need to be removed at some point soon. Its time. Part of one took out their power twice this year. Its going to be ugly unless I can get a deal sometime.
Voluntarist

United States

#42878 Nov 5, 2012
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
No one cares if YOU consent. You are not people (plural). You are person. The PEOPLE of CT (plural) have consented. You have therefore acquiesced.
Love it or leave it.
Again no facts

What facts do you rely on that the constitution and laws that flow from it are applicable to me?
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42879 Nov 5, 2012
HughBe wrote:
<quoted text>
Recover at least some of the cost by selling the wood for furniture.
That would be a great idea but someone needs to step in fast. There are thousands (and thousands) of trees being shredded as we speak in our region.

What really sucks is that there is virtually no natural regeneration of Oak here, and a few diseases marching our way to finish off some of the remaining. All of the Oak is mature, and there are a lot of critters that depend on thier acorns...
Voluntarist

United States

#42880 Nov 5, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
My parents property have 6 huge pine trees that need to be removed at some point soon. Its time. Part of one took out their power twice this year. Its going to be ugly unless I can get a deal sometime.
Its a good thing that you have the free market to rely on to get the best price.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42881 Nov 5, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Again no facts
What facts do you rely on that the constitution and laws that flow from it are applicable to me?
How about this for a fact. Your fantasy interpretation does not stand up in a court of law. And ultimately, that is what matters, not your hot air.

Location hidden

#42882 Nov 5, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
If the guy I'm using works out, I can give you his name.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42883 Nov 5, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Its a good thing that you have the free market to rely on to get the best price.
Funny you should bring that up. These are trees that are in most likelihood in the town right of way, once/if I can convince them of that.

Best price would be FREE (your taxes)
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42884 Nov 5, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Turned the furnace back on this morning and have it firing on all cylinders. Will probably take a few hours to get the house back to a decent temperature.
Just got back from donating clothing to the relief effort headed down to Staten Island. From what I can see, there was a pretty hefty response.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42885 Nov 5, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. Bizarrely enough, I am a licensed Arborist but I dont network too much with others - I dont really go there professionally - I certified myself for fun during the great recession.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42886 Nov 5, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
and yes, the first death due to tree cutting cutting...http://www.stamforda dvocate.com/news/article/Man-d ies-in-tree-cutting-accident-d uring-Sandy-4008930.php

Just wait until we get the first accident due to incompetence with a tree chipper

make sure your guy is insured - on my parents block someone got killed a few years ago, and another house down the block had a tree fall on it during removal.
HughBe

Kingston, Jamaica

#42887 Nov 5, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be a great idea but someone needs to step in fast. There are thousands (and thousands) of trees being shredded as we speak in our region.
What really sucks is that there is virtually no natural regeneration of Oak here, and a few diseases marching our way to finish off some of the remaining. All of the Oak is mature, and there are a lot of critters that depend on thier acorns...
The shredded trees can be used in a number of beneficial ways e.g. mulch but where appropriate keep the trees for lumber.

Location hidden

#42888 Nov 5, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
and yes, the first death due to tree cutting cutting...http://www.stamforda dvocate.com/news/article/Man-d ies-in-tree-cutting-accident-d uring-Sandy-4008930.php
Just wait until we get the first accident due to incompetence with a tree chipper
make sure your guy is insured - on my parents block someone got killed a few years ago, and another house down the block had a tree fall on it during removal.
Yep. Already asked for his insurance papers. Waiting for it to get emailed to me. No work without it.
Eric

Glendale Heights, IL

#42889 Nov 5, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Again no facts
asked and answered

love it or leave it

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#42891 Nov 5, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11 /05/opinion/krugman-sandy-vers us-katrina.html?hp&_r=0
Right-wing news media are portraying these continuing difficulties as a disaster comparable to, nay greater than, the aftermath of Katrina. But there’s really no comparison.
I could do a point-by-point — and it’s definitely worth it, if you’re curious, to revisit the 2005 Katrina timeline to get a sense of just how bad the response really was. But for me the difference is summed up in two images. One is the nightmare at the New Orleans convention center, where thousands were stranded for days amid inconceivable squalor, an outrage that all of America watched live on TV, but to which top officials seemed oblivious. The other is the scene in flooded Hoboken, with the National Guard moving in the day after the storm struck to deliver food and water and rescue stranded residents.
The point is that after Katrina the government seemed to have no idea what it was doing; this time it did. And that’s no accident: the federal government’s ability to respond effectively to disaster always collapses when antigovernment Republicans hold the White House, and always recovers when Democrats take it back.
I didn't see any mention of FoxNews in this opinion piece. But you can choose to believe what you want. I had to read your link because I haven't seen any reports that are calling this worse than Katrina, in fact just the opposite. The author used a the usual leftist device of code words without identifying specific sources, leaving the reader to assume "FOX NEWS".

I think I was probably more tuned into Katrina than folks in the NEast. I was online at NOLA forum when the people were reporting what was happening before the news or FEMA knew. And I contributed a nice amount to help everybody, knowing full well the racial makeup of the area. This racist labelling of conservatives by the liberal opinion people is disgusting. However, after seeing that the Red Cross wasn't very efficient during Katrina, this time I chose a Chabad synagogue that I trust will use donations effectively.

One codeword that I find very funny is 'Chicago'- after Obama was elected, liberals started whining that we use 'Chicago' as a secret racial code. Maybe that's how liberal minds work, but to me "Chicago" (in the election sense) has always meant corruption, election stealing, and dead voters, and sometimes dead politicians. Even when I considered myself a Democrat.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42892 Nov 5, 2012
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2012/1...

With Gov. Christie Sidelined by Sandy, Romney Finds a New Attack Dog

What do you do when a historic storm leaves one of your highest-profile campaign surrogates on the political sidelines—and singing the praises of your rival—only days before Election Day? Find a new attack dog, and quickly.

Mitt Romney appears to have done just that in the wake of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's Sandy-induced friendship with President Obama. The replacement? Rudy Giuliani, who has wasted little time taking to the stump and going after the president for the very thing he's being lauded by Christie for.

Here was the former New York City mayor speaking to reporters in Florida over the weekend (via ABC affiliate WPBF in Florida):

"Right now [Obama] is doing a terrible job of disaster relief in my city, but no one is talking about," said Giuliani. "People don't have water, they don't have food, electricity and his FEMA is no where to be found. This is a worse response than Katrina."

And on Sunday during a Fox News interview with Neil Cavuto:

"I think maybe because there’s an election going on, people don’t want to say that, but I think FEMA has dropped the ball, certainly as big they did with Katrina, maybe bigger because they had more warning here and the situation isn’t as big as Katrina."

And at an Ohio rally on Saturday, where his criticism was a little more wide-ranging (via the New York Daily News):

"He should resign!" Giuliani thundered.... "He lied.... He has been a disaster. The worst president for our economy in our lifetime. He doesn't want a second term. He wants a second chance, because he screwed it up the first time."

Giuliani's sudden presence on the stump is particularly noteworthy given the relatively small role he'd played in the campaign until the past several days. The one-time GOP hopeful wasn't even given a major speaking slot at this summer's Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42893 Nov 5, 2012
SeasideSoon wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't see any mention of FoxNews in this opinion piece. But you can choose to believe what you want. I had to read your link because I haven't seen any reports that are calling this worse than Katrina, in fact just the opposite. The author used a the usual leftist device of code words without identifying specific sources, leaving the reader to assume "FOX NEWS".
I think you have to ask yourself which network is promoting the response as a fiasco. Its not going to be CNN or MSNBC.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#42894 Nov 5, 2012
Lecture 6 The Practical Aspects of His Life and its Practicality Part-36

Introduction:

My dear friends! How should the messenger of Allah, Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) be followed, and why? For that purpose we have to show you, in today’s talk, the practicability of his life pattern. At this point in history, this chapter is almost entirely empty regarding other messengers of Allah or the founders of other religions. But this very aspect of Prophet Muhammad’s biography is the fullest and the longest chapter of his life.

Actions speaks Louder than the Words:

And this very point should be enough to decide who can rightfully be the leader and Seal of Prophets”. There is no shortage of good instructions, sound advice and sweet words in this world, but what matters most is good deeds. If we go through the available histories of various religious leaders, we will find interesting philosophies, fascinating parables, great pieces of oratory and artistic use of words, which will certainly move us and please us momentarily.

But what is lacking there is the practical application of those words of wisdom and proving their goodness and effectiveness through personal example. The practical aspect of human personality is reflected in its moral and ethical behaviour. Which heavenly book, apart from the holy Quran can now claim and bring evidence to the exalted moral conduct of its Prophet?

But the holy Quran clearly says about the holy Prophet (Peace be upon him).

“And you will definitely have a reward that will never end. And you are surely on an excellent standard of character.” Chpl.68:Vrs.3-4)

The first verse promises an unfailing reward from Almighty Allah, whereas the second verse explains why he deserves such a high reward. So Allah’s own words bear witness to the exalted moral conduct of holy Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) and hence the endless reward. The unlettered Prophet of Makkah was made to proclaim through the Divine Revelation:

“O you who believe, why do you say what you do not do?”(Chp.61:Vrs.2) He alone deserved to say that because he himself practised what he preached. Let us look at the preacher on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem and the preacher on the Mount of Safa in Makkah from this perspective. We will see that Christ’s present biography fails to present any practical examples, any examples of his actual practice, whereas Prophet Muhammad’s life history is full of the records of his noble practice.

Tolerance and forgiveness are commendable virtues. A nonviolent person, who does not harm or kill others, does not rob, or does not accumulate wealth, is no doubt a virtuous person. But these virtues are passive virtues. He did no harm, but did he stand up to save a helpless person? He did not take anyone’s life himself, but did he save anyone from being killed? He did not build a house for himself; but did he shelter the homeless?

This world requires these active and positive virtues. And that indeed is the noble, moral conduct.

(Contd.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles 5 hr bubba 69 2
Dennis W (Veeser) from Krakow Wi. 9 hr Mia 1
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 11 hr broombroom 200,977
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) 20 hr scoop 2,273
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Thu zhuzhamm 5,079
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Thu Pizza 16,000
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Sep 17 Blazing saddles 7,954
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Monterey News, Events & Info