Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,267
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#42712 Nov 2, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is the same Nate Silver from the baseball stat world. He is my hero - I took a lot of stats back in grad school so I appreciate what he is trying to do - cut through the noise using intelligence rather than politics.
He is nonpartisan - someone who for the fun of it got into sport stats, and then decided last year to apply the same approach to polling. No skin in the game. Pure logic and analysis of ALL the data. Goes into EVERY contingency. Does not shy away from anything. Right now he is focused on the swing states, and he decided that the leads are permanent.
The FOXERs would be apoplectic. Data? Reason? Wheres the spin?
Those folks hate facts!

yep I saw him on Bill Maher last Friday and somewhere else and he went all through what they were doing in the swing states - anyalysis-wise. Fascinating.

And I want to believe. Just can't handle another crushing disappointment al la 2000 or 2004.

I'm like a broken-hearted school girl. I need to protect my feelings!:))
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#42713 Nov 2, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Parents have one and are using it. This is the first storm. They are now having trouble getting propane delivered to feed it, so not everything is always perfect is lala land.
yeah many (depending where one lives) are natural gas-powered too.

And sis told me they cut off the gas in parts of town. so as not to end up like Queens. bubbles/fires

guess the only thing you can rely on is your own supply of wood or coal
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#42714 Nov 2, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking about picking up a portable generator after this ordeal. Neighbor swears by his Honda EU2000, and it's super quite.
get the electrician to hardwire it into a couple of circuts: furnace; fridge; a few lights etc. He'll know its capacity so as not to overload.

my sister says she runs hers a few hours here and there on and off. she's very conscientious and won't refill it (with gasoline) when hot - I said yup I know from years of mowing lawns -
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#42715 Nov 2, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
AFter this storm I'd imagine that just about EVERYONE in the north side of town will be investing in the large stationary ones. Now, probably a third already have one. The generator retailers should be ecstatic.
I looked on HOme depot site.

I bet those big ones installed are upwards of $10K from what I saw.

Then it's basically seamless from power to back-up. and you can even run your central air.

They even test themselves monthly to make sure they still work.
former res

Newtown Square, PA

#42716 Nov 2, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
of interest:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2012/1...
The Pew Research Center is out with a new report today looking at media coverage of the presidential campaign since this summer's conventions. It's got plenty of worthwhile tidbits and newsy nuggets, but the one that jumped out at us right away was this snapshot of just how segmented and partisan (and negative) cable news has been this election cycle:
The study ... reveals the degree to which the two cable channels that have built themselves around ideological programming, MSNBC and Fox, stand out from other mainstream media outlets. And MSNBC stands out the most. On that channel, 71% of the segments studied about Romney were negative in nature, compared with just 3% that were positive-a ratio of roughly 23-to-1. On Fox, 46% of the segments about Obama were negative, compared with 6% that were positive-a ratio of about 8-to-1 negative. These made them unusual among channels or outlets that identified themselves as news organizations.
Well...they can't really be held responsible if accuracy and truthfulness happens to equate to negativity!:0

But seriously, I get turned off by extremists on both sides, Several of the MSNBC hosts rub me the wrong way: Ed Schultz, Martin Bashar, and many of their guests too.

At least Bill Maher and Jon Stewart give it to Obama too. Maher accused the prez of spending his million dollar campaign donation on weed after that first debate.

Clearly I'm biased, but I don't see how one can honestly cover Romany without sounding negative. He personifies everything wrong with politics and politicians.

They guy has no core set of values whatsoever.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#42717 Nov 2, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
No flooding damage, just a lot of downed trees. Beaches are still blocked off to cars, but not much to see other than parking lots buried in sand.
They finally cleared the tree off the wires on my street this morning. Hopefully, that's a sign that they will be repairing soon. Supposed to get in the 30's tonight.
rabbee: so sandy lived up, to her name? and sand you, a message? sanding on, your own two feet? sandy-claws, came to town?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#42718 Nov 2, 2012
rabbee yehoshooah adam wrote:
<quoted text>
rabbee: so sandy lived up, to her name? and sand you, a message? sanding on, your own two feet? sandy-claws, came to town?
Very punny.
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#42719 Nov 2, 2012
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Very punny.
rabbee: well if you, can't run it in then humbly punt.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42720 Nov 2, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I looked on HOme depot site.
I bet those big ones installed are upwards of $10K from what I saw.
Then it's basically seamless from power to back-up. and you can even run your central air.
They even test themselves monthly to make sure they still work.
Part of the issue is that the prices are very variable, once you take into account installation, permits, and demand. I have heard quotes from 5 to 25k.
Frijoles

Cromwell, CT

#42721 Nov 2, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah many (depending where one lives) are natural gas-powered too.
And sis told me they cut off the gas in parts of town. so as not to end up like Queens. bubbles/fires
guess the only thing you can rely on is your own supply of wood or coal
The old types of wood burners are now banned here.
SeasideSoon

Fortson, GA

#42722 Nov 2, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
The old types of wood burners are now banned here.
Say hello to Nanny when you see him. ;)
david

Toronto, Canada

#42723 Nov 2, 2012
UticaSux wrote:
Hmmm
i am a christian. And i feel the same thing. I don't like anybody messing with my faith. So I am giving them the same break. It's cruel when someone messes with matters of faith.

Since: Feb 08

Yamashitacho, Japan

#42724 Nov 2, 2012
Now We Believe That Japanese Imperial Clan Is Jews

http://book.geocities.jp/japan_conspiracy/010...

And unfortunately, the rest of the Japanese are actually slaves who are completely under the mind control.
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#42725 Nov 2, 2012
Eliezer wrote:
Some messianic "Jews" may have been born to Jewish mothers, hence that would make them technically Jewish. But their hodge podge of Christianity with a slight seasoning of Judaism can hardly be called "Jewish", and certainly not a part of Judaism. They are practicing Christian evangelism, and trying to paint it as being Jewish.
We in Israel are NOT the US, nor should we be judged by US laws and values. We also aren't Saudi Arabia or some other backward Arab country. We ARE a Jewish State, founded as a homeland for the Jewish people. We should be allowed to determine for ourselves whether we want to be forced to allow evangelical Christians, proseletising Muslems, adamant Buddhists, or any other religion to attempt to convert our people. We tolerate and even support normative Christian and Muslim practice here, but trying to convert Jews to other religions in our homeland would be not far from kidnapping the Pope in Rome, and forcing him to pray 5 times a day to Allah.

That said, a bomb is NOT an acceptable tool in any form of religious debate, no matte who's side I'm on. The perpetrators should be prosecuted, and the penalty is stiff here (western style). But keep these christian fanatics claiming to be jews away, we don't need them.
Ans.

I think you make the same mistake as so many people do. They consider religion as a sort of label that is posted on the forehead of a person when he or she is born.

In reality a man becomes a member of any religious group when he or she acts according to the tenets of that religion.

A Messianic Jew is not who is born of a certain group of male and female. A messianic Jew is one who believes that Jesus was a Messiah and he also follows the Law of Moses.

A Messianic Jew is therefore True Jew and a True Christian merged into one.

This is the Qualitative definition of a Messianic Jew as per my limited understanding, then you can always say that I am a Novice in these matters.

May be I am!!
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#42726 Nov 2, 2012
Eric wrote:
I gave them to you. Fundamental law of nature says that people are to seek peace. When they are unable to do that on their own, that man must be willing to lay down the right to all things, and be content with so much liberty against other men, as he would allow other men against himself. The laying down of those rights is the formation of government. Read Hobbes sometime.

The people of the US said that they were lay down some of their rights to create a limited central government reserving to themselves all other power. The people of CT utilized those reserved rights to create a very unlimited form of government by a vote of the people. They reserved to themselves the authority to amend that government.
Ans.

I say that you spoke a very fundamental truth here… that people agree to "give away a part of their rights" to form a nation and / or a society.

That is the fundamental truth, no human society can exist where there is "absolute freedom" for thoughts and actions. There has to be a limit on them.

And what holds true for a nation also holds true for every religion. To give up a part of your freedom to align yourself with the teachings of a religion is what makes you member of that religious group.

How strange is that same people justify "surrender of their rights" to form a nation and then they "ridicule" the idea why religions asks people to surrender the same!!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#42727 Nov 2, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ans.
I think you make the same mistake as so many people do. They consider religion as a sort of label that is posted on the forehead of a person when he or she is born.
In reality a man becomes a member of any religious group when he or she acts according to the tenets of that religion.
A Messianic Jew is not who is born of a certain group of male and female. A messianic Jew is one who believes that Jesus was a Messiah and he also follows the Law of Moses.
A Messianic Jew is therefore True Jew and a True Christian merged into one.
This is the Qualitative definition of a Messianic Jew as per my limited understanding, then you can always say that I am a Novice in these matters.
May be I am!!
There is no such thing as a Messianic Jew. The Law of Moses doesn't count. Jesus instituted the NEW Covanant, to love. Cornilious was the first Gentile to join the 1st century christians.
SeasideSoon

Fortson, GA

#42728 Nov 2, 2012
Gee - I wonder if Mayor Bloomberg has any credibility outside the Northeast....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nyc-mar...

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2012/11...

I would think common decency would dictate getting the dead people and animals taken care of before having a marathon. Bloomberg has a serious emotional disconnect - at least he caved on this ludicrous idea (probably for the wrong reasons.)

SeasideSoon

Fortson, GA

#42729 Nov 2, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking, "Who the hell cares about Benghazi right now?"
And then I read this, and now I understand why you are obsessed with this issue.
It isn't really your fault.
Simple solution: Stop watching Fox News!
Carry on.
No, it's not my fault. It's the fault of my father, brothers, nephews, uncles, cousins, classmates and friends who serve or served in the military. I'm from that generation of draft-dodgers and people who spit on those returning from Vietnam - those who hid out in college or Canada - and I repudiate them and all those milktoast cowards who cut and run. I don't have a problem with deferrments - not everyone is suited to the military, but don't spit on our military.

And don't sit in the White House, watch the action and go to bed to be well rested for a campaign fundraiser in Vegas. Do your job man - for once. The guy is basically out of his league, clueless, and a narcissist.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#42730 Nov 2, 2012
SeasideSoon wrote:
<quoted text>No, it's not my fault. It's the fault of my father, brothers, nephews, uncles, cousins, classmates and friends who serve or served in the military. I'm from that generation of draft-dodgers and people who spit on those returning from Vietnam - those who hid out in college or Canada - and I repudiate them and all those milktoast cowards who cut and run. I don't have a problem with deferrments - not everyone is suited to the military, but don't spit on our military.
And don't sit in the White House, watch the action and go to bed to be well rested for a campaign fundraiser in Vegas. Do your job man - for once. The guy is basically out of his league, clueless, and a narcissist.
Anyone who serves in the military....AND fights far from home is FOOLISH. Iraq was a disaster, 1.5 trillion dollars on credit. We lost Vietnam after killing 4 million Vietnamese......How can any soldier (NOT HERO) be proud of that?? We are a sick war obsessed nation who spends more on our military than the whole world combined. We forgot our greatest resource...Americans......
.........You set your view of draft dodgers....THEY DID RIGHT....Dumb Tool
rabbee yehoshooah adam

Denver, CO

#42731 Nov 2, 2012
TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as a Messianic Jew. The Law of Moses doesn't count. Jesus instituted the NEW Covanant, to love. Cornilious was the first Gentile to join the 1st century christians.
rabbee: oh come on! all of the multitudes that followed Moshe, were all a messianic congregation. they have always been waiting for, either a messiah or HaMosheeach. even when they waited, for a deliverer to slay Goleeath.

stupid democrats! have always expected, someone else to do it all for them. if it was not for the macabees, they might still be under pagan greek rule. oh! wait a minute, i think they sill are under pagan rule. cause they still do not, really believe in HaShem G-D.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kristen Scannell Saratoga Springs NY Adds New H... Dec 23 Kristen Scannell ... 2
Carmel River diverted to allow dam removal, pre... Dec 16 Clint 1
Calif. cop may be fired for giving suicidal stu... Dec 13 John Smith 1
Who do you think is the MOST corrupt Monterey C... Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 5
Help! In need of opiates preferably boi Dec 5 Njp9080 1
the music thread (Apr '12) Dec 2 Musikologist 18
Monterey Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Monterey News, Events & Info