Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
38,741 - 38,760 of 68,997 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
Voluntarist

United States

#42501 Oct 29, 2012
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
1. And, therefore, I was correct when I said that the CT Constitution has no general welfare clause. And, I was correct when I said that Frijoles was not addressing the federal constitution.
2. There is no relationship between the federal general welfare clause and the department of social services from CT. The relationship, at best, is the 10th amendment. Then it is up to the state of CT to enact social services if it wishes. Since there is no limitation in the CT Constitution against just about anything, the CT General Assembly can do just about anything it wishes and not be unconstitutional according to the state constitution. As I said, I was surprised by the brevity and lack of specificity of the CT Constitution.
There is no general welfare clause in the Connecticut constitution but it is in statute, by what power is welfare passed to the states if not the general welfare clause?
I urge you to go back to the beginning of the discussion to know the crux of the discussion.

The General Welfare Clause is quite broad, and permits
Congress to create any tax and spend monies on any program
which they believe will serve the general welfare of the citizens of
the various states. There is one crucial limitation. While Congress
may tax and spend for the general welfare, they may not merely
pass laws aimed to serve the general welfare.
EXAMPLE: After years of study Congress finally concludes that
cigarette smoke really does harm smokers and those around
them. In an effort to serve the general welfare, Congress passes a
law banning the manufacture, sale, possession or use of
cigarettes in any state. The law would exceed Congressional
authority under the General Welfare Clause and would be struck
down as an unconstitutional exercise of power.
Voluntarist

United States

#42502 Oct 29, 2012
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
My brother was on I95 in G'ch that night. I was already down here but remember it well. Much traffic in Route 1 (detour) thru town for a long time.
I think I remember the burning truck too. We had of them down here too - did a lot of damage.
There was a BMW traveling at a high rate of speed that almost made it across the hole, almost doesn't count though.
Eric

Glendale Heights, IL

#42503 Oct 29, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no general welfare clause in the Connecticut constitution but it is in statute, by what power is welfare passed to the states if not the general welfare clause?
It is passed from the 10th Amendment.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

The general welfare clause pertains to powers granted to Congress, not the states. Where has "Congress" delegated such powers to the states? It comes from the 10th Amendment instead.
Eric

Glendale Heights, IL

#42504 Oct 29, 2012
And, you as a person advocating limited government should be happy that it comes from the 10th Amendment.
Voluntarist

United States

#42506 Oct 29, 2012
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
It is passed from the 10th Amendment.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
The general welfare clause pertains to powers granted to Congress, not the states. Where has "Congress" delegated such powers to the states? It comes from the 10th Amendment instead.
It is federal funding, not state funding.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#42507 Oct 29, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
You stools......Jews are really Palastinians. No difference....the geneological records were destroyed in 70 CE. Dumb ass TOOLS...you should know....
SeasideSoon

Fortson, GA

#42508 Oct 29, 2012
TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
You stools......Jews are really Palastinians. No difference....the geneological records were destroyed in 70 CE. Dumb ass TOOLS...you should know....
Where did ya steal that car?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#42509 Oct 29, 2012
SeasideSoon wrote:
<quoted text>Where did ya steal that car?
From your back yard dumb TOOL...I am always right....
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#42510 Oct 29, 2012
Lecture 5

The Comprehensiveness of the Holy Prophetís Life- Part-32

Different Aspects of His Life:

If you look at the different aspects of the holy Prophetís life, this quality of comprehensiveness will stand out quite clearly. Watch Prophet Muhammadís migration from Makkah to Madinah, Does it not remind you of the flight of Moses from Egypt to Madayin? There is a remarkable similarity between Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) meditating on Mount Hira and receiving the first revelation from Allah and Moses observing Allahís Glory on Mount Sinai.

The only difference is that Prophet Muhammadís meditation was directed inwards, and Moses was looking with open eyes. Imagine Christís preaching from Mount of Olives and Prophet Muhammadís call to the Qureish of Makkah from Mount Safa.

How similar is the Prophet leading his forces against the Arab non-believers to Moses fighting against the infidels of Palestine! When the holy Prophet prayed to Allah for the destruction of seven evil mongers of the tribal leaders of Makkah, he was like Moses who prayed to Allah to destroy the Pharaoh and his followers who had rejected the Truth even though they had seen the clear signs of his prophethood from Allah.

When the holy Prophet prayed to Allah to forgive his blood-thirsty enemies in the battle of Uhad, he was at that time like Christ showing mercy and kindness. If you look at Prophet Muhammad handing out judgment in the court of his holy Mosque in Madinah, or in his fight against nonbelievers, it would seem as if you were looking at Moses. But if you look at him in his humble residence or in a cave or in the loneliness of dark nights, deep in meditation and prayer to his Lord, you might see the very picture of Christ.

If you listen to the supplications constantly on his tongue celebrating the Glory of Allah, you will be reminded of David singing the praise of Allah. If you look at him leading a victorious army into Makkah, you may imagine the power and glory of Solomon.

Imagine his three years confinement outside Makkah, where it was hard to get any food, you can see the picture of Prophet Joseph in the Egyptian prisonÖ.

(Contd.)
Frijoles

Madison, CT

#42512 Oct 30, 2012
Eric wrote:
And, you as a person advocating limited government should be happy that it comes from the 10th Amendment.
You know, we run into that stupidity almost daily here. Tea Party activists who believe that modern urban planning is a tool of a One World UN conspiracy. Urban planning is all about tailoring government planning initiatives to local control. The alternative is a top down approach.
Frijoles

Madison, CT

#42513 Oct 30, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because URL says darien doesn't mean that I am in darien , also doesn't mean that I live in darien.
ok Mike.

I forgot to state for the record that you also were ATF for the longest time.

I used to have a variety of names, according to my mood, back in the days when we had a local paper. Attorney Lionel Hutz, Eat More Papayas Please, DogPoopInMyFood, Frijoles, and a few others.
Frijoles

Madison, CT

#42514 Oct 30, 2012
SeasideSoon wrote:
<quoted text>Does your state provide snow removal, leaf pickup, recycling and the rest? Wow, you're getting ripped because it's probably costing way more than if the local municipality did it, or even better, competing companies which we have here for some of those services. Road service and Police, Fire, and EMS is by county.
No its local. Everytime they have privatitized something it has resulted in more expense, and a few years later, it goes back to local.

Our form of government is very peculiar. No COunty government, and a fairly weak state. They call it home rule. Its a New England tradition.

What it means is that govt gets replicated every 5 miles when you cross into a new municipality. Lots and lots of reinventing the wheel. They have talked about reestablishing county govt to make services cheaper (larger scale), but then everyone looks over the border into NY where they DO have county govt and says NOPE. Taxes are much higher over the border.
Frijoles

Madison, CT

#42515 Oct 30, 2012
SeasideSoon wrote:
<quoted text>Anyway - now that I've had my say..take care and be safe up there.
We seem to have survived ok. Though I await to see what the world looks like in daylight. We didnt even loose power permamently, though 60% of my city did. Wind last night was kind of fierce - 80 mph at times.

In the middle of the night I was awoken when an earthmover started to clear a tree from an intersection nearby. So crews were out apparently.

From what I heard, significant parts of our coastline flooded yesterday. They built an emergency wall yesterday to protect our power substation, which was in the floodplain.
Eric

Glendale Heights, IL

#42516 Oct 30, 2012
Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain this flow of money. In IL the Dept of Public Aid is funded by state money except for a small portion of the medicaid budget. If the CT Department of Social Services is funded by federal money, we Illinoisans need to get our share.
Frijoles

Madison, CT

#42517 Oct 30, 2012
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain this flow of money. In IL the Dept of Public Aid is funded by state money except for a small portion of the medicaid budget. If the CT Department of Social Services is funded by federal money, we Illinoisans need to get our share.
If these services are really funded by the feds as Voluntarist claims, then I want my property and state income taxes refunded. As well as my sales tax.
Frijoles

Madison, CT

#42518 Oct 30, 2012
SeasideSoon wrote:
<quoted text>Aw, shucks. I suspect we could be less skilled in tracking down the golden carrot. It also could be viewed as something to be proud of. Robert G. Byrd wasn't known for his reticence in getting other people's money :)
In my neck of the woods, ARRA money didnt just go into roads and bridges - though a lot did.

It also went into water pollution control and abatement, affordable housing, community block grants, police, fire and teachers salaries, educational grants, emergency response grants, open space preservation, farming preservation, tourism initiatives, and natural resource restoration. And much more.

Voluntarist

United States

#42519 Oct 30, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
No its local. Everytime they have privatitized something it has resulted in more expense, and a few years later, it goes back to local.
Our form of government is very peculiar. No COunty government, and a fairly weak state. They call it home rule. Its a New England tradition.
What it means is that govt gets replicated every 5 miles when you cross into a new municipality. Lots and lots of reinventing the wheel. They have talked about reestablishing county govt to make services cheaper (larger scale), but then everyone looks over the border into NY where they DO have county govt and says NOPE. Taxes are much higher over the border.
That is because if corruption and contract fixing, you can't expect a corrupt government to act any differently.
Every so called service can be performed cheaper by the private sector.
Voluntarist

United States

#42520 Oct 30, 2012
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, we run into that stupidity almost daily here. Tea Party activists who believe that modern urban planning is a tool of a One World UN conspiracy. Urban planning is all about tailoring government planning initiatives to local control. The alternative is a top down approach.
The metro plan is a one world government plan, the brookings institute touts it all of the time.

You are disgustingly dishonest, our discussion was not about my beliefs it was about government power to give out services.
Voluntarist

United States

#42521 Oct 30, 2012
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
Illinois has a general welfare clause.

What you said doesn't make sense unless you are speaking of the how the ct constitution is vague.
Government can only do what is proscribed in law, you act as if government can do anything that isn't expressly prohibited.
Clem

Danbury, CT

#42522 Oct 30, 2012
Jews, blacks, illegal aliens, homosexuals... blah!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 5 hr go away 5,007
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 5 hr Soaked good 200,593
clint the flint 9 hr ubietron 1
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 14 hr lazy posts 15,963
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
First City Festival 2014 Brings Ugly Rock Metal... Aug 28 JoeMama 2
Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles Aug 28 Money 1
•••
•••
Monterey Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000