Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday

Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family.
Comments
38,721 - 38,740 of 68,446 Comments Last updated 19 min ago
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Highlights from their writings suggest the following:
1. Do not completely care for the needy–merely help them to help
themselves.
2. Give the poor the satisfaction of “earned achievement” instead of
rewarding them without achievement.
3. Allow the poor to climb the “appreciation ladder”–from tents to
cabins, cabins to cottages, cottages to comfortable houses.
4. Where emergency help is provided, do not prolong it to the point
where it becomes habitual.
5. Strictly enforce the scale of “fixed responsibility.” The first and
foremost level of responsibility is with the individual himself; the
second level is the family; then the church; next the community;
finally the county, and, in a disaster or emergency, the state.
Under no circumstances was the federal government to become
involved in public welfare. The Founders felt it would corrupt the
government and also the poor. No constitutional authority exists
for the federal government to participate in so-called social
welfare programs.(Making of America p 218-220)
The U. S. Constitution states in Article I, section 8: The people of
the states empower the Congress to expend money (for the
enumerated purposes listed in Article I, section 8), provided it is
done in a way that benefits the general welfare of the whole
people. Thomas Jefferson explained that this clause was not a
grant of power to “spend” for the general welfare of the people,
but was intended to “limit the power of taxation” to matters
which provided for the welfare of “the Union ” or the welfare of
the whole nation. In other words, federal taxes could not be
levied for states, countries, cities, or special interest groups.
(Making of America p 387)
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

The Court unlawfully laid the foundation for what turned out to
be an amendment to the Constitution in the 1936 Butler case,
where “general welfare” was twisted to allow “special welfare”,
and the federal budget jumped from six billion to six hundred
billion in one generation.(Making of America p 255) Should the
Federal Government be involved in Social Welfare, you be the
judge.
Frijoles

Prospect, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Your evidence that I live in Darien?
Your former name was Madman Mike - URL was Darien. "You can run but you can't hide..."
Frijoles

Prospect, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Just lost power. Tree down on power line five houses down from me. I don't anticipate restoration for at least a couple days.
Juts when I think the wind cant get more brutal, it does. I just got the candles together,.
Eric

Addison, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you were supposed to be an attorney ding dong.
Its in the US Constitution.
Frijoles was talking about state constitution and services, not Federal.

post 42450

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
and where in the CT Constitution is snow removal, leaf pickup, recycling and garbage, fire safety, or ems?
Do have a shrine to your Constitution? Do you leave fruit?

Your response:
The much abused promote the general welfare clause.

Note the words CT Constitution.

There is no general welfare clause in the "CT Constitution". I was surprised as to the brevity of the document and the lack of overall specificity.
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Your former name was Madman Mike - URL was Darien. "You can run but you can't hide..."
Just because URL says darien doesn't mean that I am in darien , also doesn't mean that I live in darien.
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Juts when I think the wind cant get more brutal, it does. I just got the candles together,.
I just travelled through beltown, springdale and high ridge road, the roads are a Tad bit messy, downed limbs and lines.
Voluntarist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Eric wrote:
<quoted text>
Frijoles was talking about state constitution and services, not Federal.
post 42450
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
and where in the CT Constitution is snow removal, leaf pickup, recycling and garbage, fire safety, or ems?
Your response:
The much abused promote the general welfare clause.
Note the words CT Constitution.
There is no general welfare clause in the "CT Constitution". I was surprised as to the brevity of the document and the lack of overall specificity.
The dss was created through statute implementing the federal welfare.
There are many states with general welfare clauses, CT is ingrained in statute.
SeasideSoon

Smyrna, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
You make no sense.
Look at troop levels.
http://afghanistan.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/22/c...
Did you forget about the surge?
No, did you forget whose whose surge it was?

Bush focused less on Afghanistan after the Taliban had mostly left for Pakistan. Then in 2009, Obama sent 30,000 more troops..I guess his intelligence sources weren't any better then than today.
All the while, he's surging up in Afghanistan, and OBL was holed up in Pakistan. So it took 30,000 more troops in Afghan to figure out that OBL wasn't even there. Amazing..can't make this stuff up.
SeasideSoon

Smyrna, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again, sweetie!
"(Reuters)- Long famous for its top-notch highways and passion for cars, the United States is letting bridges rust as traffic chokes overburdened roads, threatening a pillar of its economic strength...
....The United States has fallen sharply in the World Economic Forum's ranking of national infrastructure systems. In the forum's 2007-2008 report, American infrastructure was ranked 6th best in the world.
The 2011-2012 report due in September will show America at No. 16, with South Korea overtaking the United States during the last year, according to a copy of the rankings obtained by Reuters.
The quality of American roads is about on par with those of Malaysia. They lag Hong Kong, whose infrastructure tops the overall list..."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/16/uk-...
Wrong about what? I didn't bring up roads and bridges - MadMax did. My only comment was that something happened to the stimulus money, cause it sure didn't get used on R&B.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

SeasideSoon wrote:
<quoted text>You don't appear too neglected. Obama's unemployment has increased in all sectors of society, especially in his pet groups. The stimulus should've rebuilt thousands of bridges. It's the economy stupid.
" Recovery.gov counted and the amount of jobs stimulus created under 751,000.... In the areas that saw gains, most of them were because of government jobs.... workers make 60% more than the private sector and four times as much in benefits"
..like we need more government employees.
TOOL....Rep will increase taxes on middle and low people. Giving tax relief to the 2% rich. Your an idiot to vote Republican. Businesses should be taxed 30% TOOL. They have loads of flexability, not like middle folks. Dumb TOOL PLUS...Obama will not start stupid wars on credit. AS--SSS--Hole
SeasideSoon

Smyrna, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

former res wrote:
<quoted text>
" I don't believe in extorting money from someone else to support the causes I believe in."
Really?
Does this apply to military spending? Defense and support of Israel?
No, I mean like Flukey's contraceptives and abortions. I really don't care if people have abortions - it's kinda creepy, but then I wouldn't tell anybody that they can't have an abortion if it's what they really really want.(or need).
I'll bet it's a Republican plot to come out against abortions just so Democrats will whine about it and get more of them. A devious Demographic plot against Democrats. How clever.

And also I mean like Egypt,Libya,Turkey, and all those other countries with which we have no RECIPROCAL agreements. In other words, take the money please,(how do you think Mubarak got so rich?) and then puleeze be nice to us. That's our normal foreign aid strategy. Is this so difficult to comprehend??

Let me explain it once more about Israel. Of the aid we send, over 85% MUST be SPENT HERE in purchasing goods and services of U.S companies which keeps people working here. This is probably the 50th time I've pointed this out here and elsewhere to anti-Israel types. Not that you are, just saying.

Military - last I looked, a standing army and the support thereof was still in the constitution. Of course, it's been a while since I checked, and Obama's still in office, so it might've changed.

Anyway - now that I've had my say..take care and be safe up there.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

SeasideSoon wrote:
<quoted text>No, did you forget whose whose surge it was?
Bush focused less on Afghanistan after the Taliban had mostly left for Pakistan. Then in 2009, Obama sent 30,000 more troops..I guess his intelligence sources weren't any better then than today.
All the while, he's surging up in Afghanistan, and OBL was holed up in Pakistan. So it took 30,000 more troops in Afghan to figure out that OBL wasn't even there. Amazing..can't make this stuff up.
LOVE it and LIVE it...the surge cost us 1 trillion dollars.......love it and pay you fools.....
Eric

Addison, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
The dss was created through statute implementing the federal welfare.
There are many states with general welfare clauses, CT is ingrained in statute.
1. And, therefore, I was correct when I said that the CT Constitution has no general welfare clause. And, I was correct when I said that Frijoles was not addressing the federal constitution.

2. There is no relationship between the federal general welfare clause and the department of social services from CT. The relationship, at best, is the 10th amendment. Then it is up to the state of CT to enact social services if it wishes. Since there is no limitation in the CT Constitution against just about anything, the CT General Assembly can do just about anything it wishes and not be unconstitutional according to the state constitution. As I said, I was surprised by the brevity and lack of specificity of the CT Constitution.
SeasideSoon

Smyrna, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
ARRA was used for many other projects other than roads and bridges. At least here in the northeast. Down where you are I think you guys were not as creative or welcoming. Again, you have my sympathies.
Aw, shucks. I suspect we could be less skilled in tracking down the golden carrot. It also could be viewed as something to be proud of. Robert G. Byrd wasn't known for his reticence in getting other people's money :)

SeasideSoon

Smyrna, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, birtherism.
Lets face it - you hate Obama. Now that we got that over with....
Geez I hate it when someone accuses me of hating someone. I think he's a amateur playing at being president, but I certainly don't hate him. That's not like you - it must be the barometric pressure.
SeasideSoon

Smyrna, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Does your state provide snow removal, leaf pickup, recycling and the rest? Wow, you're getting ripped because it's probably costing way more than if the local municipality did it, or even better, competing companies which we have here for some of those services. Road service and Police, Fire, and EMS is by county.
SeasideSoon

Smyrna, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Voluntarist wrote:
<quoted text>
Great!
So I don't have to pay for your "war on terror "?
The only terrorist I've seen around here is you. And MUQ of course.
SeasideSoon

Smyrna, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont forget that CT is home to 2 of the most spectacular bridge failures in American history - both over the I95 corridor
I95 Mianus Bridge in the 80s - of course you remember that - you were probably living 1 mile away
Bridgeport I95 Bridge - 2002 or 2003 - though that failure was hastened by a burning truck if I recollect
From what I've heard about that area, probably poor quality concrete - all those bodies tend to weaken the mix. What's the name of that swamp around Hamden?
SeasideSoon

Smyrna, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

Judged:

Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text> I am watching trees going horizontal. I know about stir crazy - day care closed until further notice. According to "suggested" evac (not the mandatory evac), you should be gone by now, as well as the entire downtown.
Forget the barometric pressure comment - lack of daycare is much worse. Sorry.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••