Monterey cancels 4th of July fireworks show

Feb 18, 2009 Full story: Modesto Bee 30

The popularity of Monterey's annual Fourth of July fireworks show, which draws more than 40,000 spectators, has forced the city to cancel this year's holiday spectacular.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ocean View

Pacific Grove, CA

#23 Jul 6, 2011
douchefighter wrote:
They canceled because the eco-nazis said it gave the fish headaches and wanted an environmental impact report. Just like they did to San Diego. Thanks alot greenpeace! This is no lie!
Another falsehood without substantiation in regard to Monterey, otherwise please provide a credible source.
douchefighter

AOL

#24 Jul 7, 2011
Ocean View wrote:
<quoted text>
Another falsehood without substantiation in regard to Monterey, otherwise please provide a credible source.
Is this credible enough for you, old boy? Hope you are wearing a hat, cuz this will blow you mind! Or did you already know about this but thought I didn't? Excuse me now, as I must take a mouth breathing/knuckle dragging walk around the old cave. Defund the EPA!

Federal Register | Taking and Importing Marine Mammals; Taking ...
May 20, 2011 ... NMFS has defined “negligible impact” in 50 CFR 216.103 as “*** an ..... Two separate fireworks display sites (City of Monterey and Pacific ..... The report further suggested that “environmental impacts from fireworks ...

www.federalregister.gov/articles/2011/05/20/2... ...- Similar

Lawsuit Filed To Stop La Jolla Fireworks | KPBS.org
Jun 29, 2010 ... A local environmental organization filed a lawsuit last week to stop ... many years now and we have those reports and there's no evidence.... The lawsuit would require all fireworks displayed in the City of San Diego to be cancelled ... a statistically significant impact on them from the fireworks....

www.kpbs.org/news/2010/jun/29/lawsuit-filed-s... ...- Similar
Ocean View

Pacific Grove, CA

#25 Jul 7, 2011
douchefighter wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this credible enough for you, old boy? Hope you are wearing a hat, cuz this will blow you mind! Or did you already know about this but thought I didn't? Excuse me now, as I must take a mouth breathing/knuckle dragging walk around the old cave. Defund the EPA!
Federal Register | Taking and Importing Marine Mammals; Taking ...
May 20, 2011 ... NMFS has defined “negligible impact” in 50 CFR 216.103 as “*** an ..... Two separate fireworks display sites (City of Monterey and Pacific ..... The report further suggested that “environmental impacts from fireworks ...
www.federalregister.gov/articles/2011/05/20/2... ...- Similar
It's really important to read through the entire notice, especially when relying on it to support a position which it turns out is in opposition to what is actually being proposed. It will save being embarrassed in the future.

The import of the Federal Register publication is that it seeking public comment on a request by a federal governmental agency (NOAA, which administers the MBNMS) to continue to ALLOW, rather than to restrict or prohibit, public fireworks displays over the waters of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary (MBNMS), which includes the City of Monterey Independence Day display, which has been temporarily discontinued because of budget cuts. Quite pertinent is the date of the notice, May 20, 2011, which entertains a 45-day comment period, which has nothing to do with fireworks display cancellations for 2009-2011.

Specifically, "MBNMS is requesting authorization to incidentally harass up to 6,170 California sea lions and 1,065 harbor seals during the one-year time span of the proposed IHA, from July 4, 2011 to July 3, 2012." Since the Sanctuary is charged with the responsibility of managing the various commercial and recreational activities within its boundaries, it is reasonable that they would need to seek guidance on the establishment of regulatory guidelines, especially when there may be a conflict with the enforcement of the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA).

Elsewhere, the notice states "The MBNMS has issued 87 permits for professional fireworks displays since 1993. However, the MBNMS staff projects that as many as 20 coastal displays per year may be conducted in, or adjacent to, MBNMS boundaries in the future. Thus, the number of displays will be limited to not more than 20 events per year in four specific areas along 276 mi (444 km) of coastline. Fireworks displays will not exceed 30 minutes (with the exception of up to two displays per year, each not to exceed 1 hour) in duration and will occur with an average frequency of less than or equal to once every two months within each of the four prescribed display areas. NMFS believes—and extensive monitoring data indicates—that incidental take resulting from fireworks displays will be, at most, the short-term flushing and evacuation of non-breeding haul-out sites by California sea lions and harbor seals."
douchefighter

AOL

#26 Jul 7, 2011
Ocean View wrote:
<quoted text>
It's really important to read through the entire notice, especially when relying on it to support a position which it turns out is in opposition to what is actually being proposed. It will save being embarrassed in the future.
The import of the Federal Register publication is that it seeking public comment on a request by a federal governmental agency (NOAA, which administers the MBNMS) to continue to ALLOW, rather than to restrict or prohibit, public fireworks displays over the waters of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary (MBNMS), which includes the City of Monterey Independence Day display, which has been temporarily discontinued because of budget cuts. Quite pertinent is the date of the notice, May 20, 2011, which entertains a 45-day comment period, which has nothing to do with fireworks display cancellations for 2009-2011.
Specifically, "MBNMS is requesting authorization to incidentally harass up to 6,170 California sea lions and 1,065 harbor seals during the one-year time span of the proposed IHA, from July 4, 2011 to July 3, 2012." Since the Sanctuary is charged with the responsibility of managing the various commercial and recreational activities within its boundaries, it is reasonable that they would need to seek guidance on the establishment of regulatory guidelines, especially when there may be a conflict with the enforcement of the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA).
Elsewhere, the notice states "The MBNMS has issued 87 permits for professional fireworks displays since 1993. However, the MBNMS staff projects that as many as 20 coastal displays per year may be conducted in, or adjacent to, MBNMS boundaries in the future. Thus, the number of displays will be limited to not more than 20 events per year in four specific areas along 276 mi (444 km) of coastline. Fireworks displays will not exceed 30 minutes (with the exception of up to two displays per year, each not to exceed 1 hour) in duration and will occur with an average frequency of less than or equal to once every two months within each of the four prescribed display areas. NMFS believes—and extensive monitoring data indicates—that incidental take resulting from fireworks displays will be, at most, the short-term flushing and evacuation of non-breeding haul-out sites by California sea lions and harbor seals."
I guess you don't know a blueprint when you see one. When the govt. can tell you what to do, it is only a matter of time that someone convinces the govt. to take it away. Just ask San Diego.
Ocean View

Pacific Grove, CA

#27 Jul 7, 2011
douchefighter wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you don't know a blueprint when you see one. When the govt. can tell you what to do, it is only a matter of time that someone convinces the govt. to take it away. Just ask San Diego.
I believe that the original statement was "They canceled [Monterey fireworks] because the eco-nazis said it gave the fish headaches and wanted an environmental impact report... This is no lie!" for which I asked substantiation. This has yet to be provided, regardless of the characterization about the findings and federal notice which constitute a supposed insidious "blueprint" that speculatively and inexplicably allows communities to continue to have fireworks displays over the ocean as they have in the past so that they can be denied in the future.

Since the challenge was to provide evidence of fireworks cancellations in Monterey in the past due to the actions of "eco-Nazis," this burden has not yet been met.
Seaside

Salinas, CA

#28 Jul 12, 2011
If you want a great show, come to Seaside. The best ariel show around and it goes for about three hours. ALL OVER TOWN!!
Ocean View

Pacific Grove, CA

#29 Jul 12, 2011
Seaside wrote:
If you want a great show, come to Seaside. The best ariel show around and it goes for about three hours. ALL OVER TOWN!!
Does Ariel only sing "The Little Mermaid" movie songs, or does she sing other Disney songs as well? It would really be great if she could do it in an aerial show.
macdaddy

United States

#30 Jul 4, 2012
douchefighter wrote:
They canceled because the eco-nazis said it gave the fish headaches and wanted an environmental impact report. Just like they did to San Diego. Thanks alot greenpeace! This is no lie!
So uh I was thinking about lunch later u down?
The Verni

Berkeley, CA

#31 Jul 4, 2012
Not seeing fireworks in Monterey was part of the Branch of the USA participating in not recognizing what the men old &young alike shead their blood for to set us free
That fire works represent the battle of 1776 which I'm proud to remember with the display of multi-color fire shooting into the sky. To the people who past this law, you are a disgrace to the sacrifice the men made to make this independence day .
I spit on you
Mexican banger in control

Monterey, CA

#32 Jul 5, 2012
Ocean View wrote:
<quoted text>
Does Ariel only sing "The Little Mermaid" movie songs, or does she sing other Disney songs as well? It would really be great if she could do it in an aerial show.
You want fireworks? Go to Salinas and watch the Mexican gang bangers killing their brothers 24/7/365....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr Frijoles 71,090
Carmel River diverted to allow dam removal, pre... Dec 16 Clint 1
Calif. cop may be fired for giving suicidal stu... Dec 13 John Smith 1
Kristen Scannell Saratoga Springs NY Adds New H... Dec 12 Alex Montgomery 1
Who do you think is the MOST corrupt Monterey C... Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 5
Help! In need of opiates preferably boi Dec 5 Njp9080 1
Monterey Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web