Monterey cancels 4th of July fireworks show

Feb 18, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Modesto Bee

The popularity of Monterey's annual Fourth of July fireworks show, which draws more than 40,000 spectators, has forced the city to cancel this year's holiday spectacular.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of30
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
haile

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2009

i am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO bummed!!!!!!!!!!
why are they cancelling the annual event!?!
tone

Cupertino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

OMG - this was the most awesome thing ever, I can't believe it! So Sad :(
Jennny

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2009

Wuhhduhhells?! 4th of July is for independence & fireworks is way to celebrate. Jeeez, i guess they dont like tradition. UGH I HATE THIS.
Cat

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2009

I guess the fireworks are cancelled because some people don't follow rules. They mess it up for all of us! They burn too many fires, burn trash in their fires, and shoot off dangerous, illegal fireworks that could hurt someone in the crowd.
david

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2009

You just lost my money city of Monterey CA.I won't be back..ever.
sandra

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2009

Anyone know alternate locations near Monterey to go watch fireworks? It totally sucks that they cancelled.
Kathy

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2009

Judged:

I understand they canceled the show because of funding and over time cancellation for Police Officers and Fire departments. Gilroy and Hollister have a show. In South Monterey Co, I believe Soledad and King City have a show. Have fun and be safe.
katie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2009

Judged:

david wrote:
You just lost my money city of Monterey CA.I won't be back..ever.
oh well, one less drunk guy to pee in my front yard at 10 p.m.
Mark Thompson

Morgan Hill, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2009

I and my wife were going to go to Monterey, to watch the fire works spend money.

Well because they have canceled the fireworks we are going to SF.

Can you say stupid why not ask for donations.

Brilliant management by the City.
Robert Fox

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2010

Mark Thompson wrote:
I and my wife were going to go to Monterey, to watch the fire works spend money.
Well because they have canceled the fireworks we are going to SF.
Can you say stupid why not ask for donations.
Brilliant management by the City.
Same here - our family usually stays at the Monterey Bay Lodge (which is right next to where the fireworks launch)... couple days at the Aquarium, Dennis the Menace Park, Point Lobos... but we cancelled the trip due to no fireworks. The city needs to know the amount of $$$ they are losing because of this.
~Rob
Area831

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2010

This totally sucks ass! Why can't this area ever have any fun things to do like other cities? It's the freaking 4th of July for crying out loud!!! Only comes ONCE a year! These ppl take out the fun in everything!

... And ppl are STILL gonna use illegal fireworks so what does it matter anyway? Party poopers!
Ann

Santa Rosa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

I found this article when I decided to look up information about the 4th of July in Monterey. Almost made reservations without checking. We go to Monterey often - but now we won't since there is essentially nothing going on there for the 4th. Guess we will spend our vacation money someplace else. I understand budget cuts - but I wonder how much the Monterey area will lose financially due to this decision.
Ocean View

Pacific Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

Ann wrote:
I found this article when I decided to look up information about the 4th of July in Monterey. Almost made reservations without checking. We go to Monterey often - but now we won't since there is essentially nothing going on there for the 4th. Guess we will spend our vacation money someplace else. I understand budget cuts - but I wonder how much the Monterey area will lose financially due to this decision.
This news story is from last year, 2010. I don't believe that decision has been made yet regarding this year, 2011. It would be best to check with Monterey Parks Department before deciding.
Mark

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Bummer! I was planning to take the family to Montery to watch the fireworks. We did not go on vacation this year so we have some money to blow on the long weekend - nice hotel, fancy dinner, etc., but without fireworks we will not go to Monterey. What was the City Council thinking when they cancelled this? This is bad for business on so many levels. W/O the fireworks the city will be a ghost town on the 4-th. The main attraction is not there.
Desiree

Visalia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2011

Can anyone please tell me where I can go for fireworks around Monterey if they will not have them there?
Bibs

Carmel, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Judged:

Sounds like the gov't is taking over what we can and cannot do and see....Money was not this tight before the present administration was elected to Washington...Things are beginning to CHANGE for the worst and it is up to us to stop this....Are you ready to do it ???????
Steve

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2011

It was all about the money and nothing more.
kindlingmaker831

Salinas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2011

Judged:

Welcome to Obama's America.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

Judged:

Obama's America? What the f is wrong with you? THis is just the cheap assed stupid greedy people running the show in Monterey. They had the donations to, they would just rather keep the money. Obama's America, shut the f up stupid azz.
douchefighter

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2011

They canceled because the eco-nazis said it gave the fish headaches and wanted an environmental impact report. Just like they did to San Diego. Thanks alot greenpeace! This is no lie!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of30
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance