California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chain Store Age

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Comments (Page 201)

Showing posts 4,001 - 4,020 of4,885
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Sorry

Calabasas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Got this site wrong
Maloff

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Just look what Glendora, California did, they covered up their crimes of losing tax payers money so they raised fees (aka taxes) and still don't provide the services they once did before they lost most of it on a Ponzi Scam.

The rule or rather the ruse is that Republicans don't call these increases in the cost of public services taxes.

They call them tolls, or fees, or tuition increases.

But they are taxes by another name.

And they are all regressive taxes taxes that disproportionately hit working people and the middle class.
ano

Mira Loma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

Judged:

You Californians think y'all are so perfect....go to Texas where the real men and women play in the sticks
Lemons

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

Judged:

Muslims/Islamizes don't respect women.

Must be a BAD religion, too!
fran whyte

Sonoma, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

Judged:

ano wrote:
You Californians think y'all are so perfect....go to Texas where the real men and women play in the sticks
Lush Bimbawe says that texans keep their sticks hidden where the sun dont rain so folks wont laugh at 'em. I dont know what he means but it sounds funny and is easy to remember.
GoodAnews

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

Something good new for 2013;

Californians who contact the state's new health exchange to buy insurance will be given the opportunity to register to vote if they are not already and or update their mailing location.

This logical move that some (all) Republicans fearful that this could benefit Democrats, looks like the Republicans are running scared again!

Since: May 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

I sometimes take my own bags.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

HereAndOverThere wrote:
I sometimes take my own bags.
HereAndOverThere.

Apparently you reside in what remains of "free America". If you lived in radical Council controlled Long Beach, the Government would require you to either bring disease spreading reusable grocery bags to Council controlled Grocery stores, or otherwise, you would get slapped with Lowenthal grocery and goods bag harassment taxes.

In this home of one of the most extremist of the incredibly expensive radical taxpayer funded universities, there is no such thing as being provided free grocery bags by competitive-minded non-union grocers. Be forewarned though. The so-called "Long Beach cancer" has metastasized. It is expected to eventually spread throughout California, and possibly throughout the entire nation.

Ronald
Politics of 501 c 4s

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

We got to bring back the orginal 1959 rules for 501(c)4s.

The 501(c)(4) tax exemption was written for civic groups engaged in efforts to beautify a town, for example, or to build a stadium for a school, or to encourage interest in the arts - social-welfare effects that improve a community at large. Partisan politics should not be part of that picture.

Corporations are not people and they can not vote!
Babydoll

Sonora, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

Well, people on food stamps don't pay for the bags upfront. Yes, there is a built in tax but what is it? how is it justified. Apples that were $1.00 each are now $1.10. They don't say the .10 is for the bag tax. So, in the end we pay for the labels, the containers, shipping, storage and tax on already taxed items. Go figure.

P.S. People on Food Stamps don't pay for bags. This pissed my working sister off.
501 c 4s politics

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

Honest Americans need to bring back the orginal 1959 rules for 501(c)4.

The 501(c)(4) tax exemption was written for civic groups engaged in efforts to beautify a town, for example, or to build a stadium for a school, or to encourage interest in the arts - social-welfare effects that improve a community at large. Partisan politics should not be part of that picture.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Babydoll wrote:
Well, people on food stamps don't pay for the bags upfront. Yes, there is a built in tax but what is it? how is it justified. Apples that were $1.00 each are now $1.10. They don't say the .10 is for the bag tax. So, in the end we pay for the labels, the containers, shipping, storage and tax on already taxed items. Go figure.
P.S. People on Food Stamps don't pay for bags. This pissed my working sister off.
Babydoll.

Yes. You are right. The voting majority of Long Beachers - pay for their groceries with expensive taxpayer provided food stamps, the so-called EBT "wealth transfer" card. Revolutionary Long Beach Council wrote a "loophole" into their so-called Lowenthal grocery and goods bag harassment tax law requiring Council controlled unionized grocers to provide taxpayer supported food eaters with "free" grocery bags. Presumably, the cost of those "free" bags is built into the price of overpriced groceries that the taxpaying minority must pay. Here is a link to the law that sets precedence for revolutionary Council using ever more punitive expanding tax law to intrude more and more into the grocer - food eater relationship.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/azkqelq

Ronald
Cancellation

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2013

Judged:

Planning Commission Regular Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:00 PM Notice of Cancellation Print PDF Agenda

Oversight Board Regular Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:00 PM Notice of Cancellation Print PDF Agenda

Just how do these fools plan on running a city if they keep canceling civic meetings?
14th country

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Has, Love has won out over hate?

It appears so, France has become 14th country to in the world to allow gay marriages.

“tickle your pickle”

Since: May 13

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Why don't we just reuse bags until they've torn and become worn out? That's what I do, haha.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

methylonely wrote:
Why don't we just reuse bags until they've torn and become worn out? That's what I do, haha.
methylonely.

Yes. That would delay the inevitable. The only problem is that reusing grocery and goods bags of any kind results in the spread of dangerous life endangering pathogens. True, used plastic bags are less porous than are most dangerous - but currently trendy - Government approved "reusable" bags, and therefore they are less dangerous to the health of children and our old folks, but the danger still exists.

Because I believe in manipulative "democratic" principles, I welcome the inevitable forthcoming inane remarks that will shortly be posted by the room's resident taxpayer supported schizophrenic.

Ronald
Stuffers

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Judged:

Fell free to post the same annoying stupid stuff over and over again.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Judged:

Stuffers wrote:
Fell free to post the same annoying stupid stuff over and over again.
Stuffers.

Thanks for checking in. I was worried that you might have OD'd on expensive taxpayer provided "medicine" last night.

Ronald
UpAnDown

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2013

Judged:

A new layer of congestion fees planned by (metro) would add about $1,900 per new home and about $30,000 on a new Trader Joe's type store or stores.

Brought to you by the Los Angeles county's Metropolitan Transportation Authority or Metro.

A fifty business letter opposing the measure, suddenly it was withdrawn from Wednesday's Metro Planning and Programming Committee and placed on hold.

Another DUMB idea brought to you by METRO, just like the Lexus pay as you go carpool lanes.
hffyhd

Jones, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Judged:

Fydvhii.
Gurfgju
Vhdfvh

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 4,001 - 4,020 of4,885
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••