Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,146

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#231004 Jun 12, 2014
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
No constitutional right was voted on. The right to marry, enter into a legally recognized union of husband and wife, remained the same both before, and after, in those states that voted to confirm the definition of marriage as a union of one man and one woman, as husband and wife, via state constitutional amendment.
.BTW about voting away the civil rights of a minority (granted this case was about the civil rights of school-children, but....)

West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette 1943 (SCOTUS Majority Opinion)
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections.

“UCLA Bruin Voice Of Reason!”

Since: Jun 11

West Hollywood, CA

#231005 Jun 12, 2014
Poncho Vila wrote:
When will the circle be complete?
You mean like in Circle Jerk fella :)

Go LGBT UCLA Bruins!

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#231006 Jun 12, 2014
Cam wrote:
Once again. Marriage is not a "right." What is a right is being free to be with whomever the hell you want as long as they are a consenting adult. Marriage is simply a joke that shouldn't be the big deal it is.
No.

14 Supreme Court Cases: Marriage is a Fundamental Right
http://www.afer.org/blog/14-supreme-court-cas...

“UCLA Bruin Voice Of Reason!”

Since: Jun 11

West Hollywood, CA

#231007 Jun 12, 2014
Cam wrote:
Once again. Marriage is not a "right." What is a right is being free to be with whomever the hell you want as long as they are a consenting adult. Marriage is simply a joke that shouldn't be the big deal it is.
Right On Cam! Those are the exact sentiments of our beloved and progressive UCLA football Coach Jimmy Mora Junior :)

Go Bruins! Here's to free thinking and free consentment!

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#231008 Jun 12, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>No.
14 Supreme Court Cases: Marriage is a Fundamental Right
http://www.afer.org/blog/14-supreme-court-cas...
Hey DNA, tell us how your partner and you had a baby, JUST like heteros!!!

Smile.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#231009 Jun 12, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>.BTW about voting away the civil rights of a minority (granted this case was about the civil rights of school-children, but....)
West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette 1943 (SCOTUS Majority Opinion)
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections.
What constitutes a "minority"? Ethnic minority? Racial? Religious? Political? There's two sexes, male and female, and we all fall into either category, except for such a minute subset, who may be "intersexed", or what ever the term is. Marriage is a union of one man and one woman as husband and wife. It applies to all men, and all women.
Cam

Cathedral City, CA

#231010 Jun 12, 2014
DNF, no, it's not. You don't understand what rights are. Also, no one should care what courts say. They are often times incorrect.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#231011 Jun 13, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>That's the point PINHEAD.
Gay couples (and lesbian couples) ARE CAPABLE of producing offspring in the same way heterosexuals do

Is it frustrating have people assume you had a beer belly instead of being pregnant?

Will you have the baby naturally by penile canal, or a c-section?

LOL, LOL, LOL
Pauline Deal

La Mirada, CA

#231012 Jun 13, 2014
I am the anti Chrysler!!!
count the count

Monrovia, CA

#231013 Jun 13, 2014
Page 9,982 #231012and the count keeps going on.

“Crush, kill, destroy.”

Since: Aug 08

#231014 Jun 13, 2014
I want to make cheese in my bathtub.

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#231015 Jun 13, 2014
Pauline Deal wrote:
I am the anti Chrysler!!!
Amen! LOL
Clean energy

Monrovia, CA

#231016 Jun 13, 2014
Watch out for the coal and don't get stuck on the mercury by product, clean energy is better.
Cam

Cathedral City, CA

#231017 Jun 13, 2014
Clean energy is basically nuclear power. Solar takes nearly as much oil to make as the energy it outputs and the maintenance costs are too high right now. I'm all for nuclear and hemp power, of course.

“Crush, kill, destroy.”

Since: Aug 08

#231018 Jun 13, 2014
Commander Bunny wrote:
I want to make cheese in my bathtub.
Seriously.
Clean energy

Monrovia, CA

#231019 Jun 13, 2014
Clean energy is good for the planet and it's people.
Rverend Freind

Sonoma, CA

#231020 Jun 13, 2014
Children, God does not want clean energy. If he did, why then it would be clean. He has given us coal, and he has told his beloved to invest in the mining and bringing forth into sunlight the coal from the bowels of the earth to annoy satan. There are huge amounts of gold invested in this energy. He has commanded that we use it. He has entrusted the development of Coal Energy to his beloved; We cannot go against the beloved of God. We must stop this alternative nonsense, for it is the spume of satan . Call your legislators, your senators and your contractors now...tell them to throw down the sinful solar panels, throw out the french fry oil from your furnace, tear down your wind towers from hellmouth. Get with God and do as you are told by his beloved. Stop taxing and regulating coal and fracking and God will let you near. Yea, verily!
Setting free

Monrovia, CA

#231021 Jun 13, 2014
GOD said let my people go from the evils of COAL.
Cam

Cathedral City, CA

#231022 Jun 13, 2014
Which god are you referring to? I prefer a big booty goddess.
Sgt Peppers

Gardnerville, NV

#231023 Jun 13, 2014
God is a Republican?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 17 hr Eric 70,629
Hello Nov 24 Clint 1
Dual language immersion program offered for kin... (Jan '10) Nov 21 Kerry Jones 29
Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Nov 19 ben goolsby 1,514
MEX-TEX-CA DRUGS to YOU! Nov 4 ILLEGALS - DRUGS ... 1
Some Mexicans leaving US, planning never to return (Dec '08) Nov 3 llt 15,728
Former Councilwoman Susan Goldbeck announces Ci... (Jun '08) Nov 1 nodole 8
Monterey Dating
Find my Match

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Monterey News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Monterey

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]