Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
178,661 - 178,680 of 200,587 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206088 Jul 31, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
Look at all the "debunking" in that last post. Easy Big D settle down.....ya might want to have EMS on standby before you read those.
He won't read them, he'll ignore them. It's his only option.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#206089 Jul 31, 2013
Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<quoted text>
He was hoping you'd become strong. Instead, the abuse made you gay.
There always are more than either/or options. A victim only sees one.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206090 Jul 31, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice huh? Big D was a Coastie. Worthy of respect of course but he doesn't reciprocate. If you disagree with him, or if he simply doesn't like you, then you are not a real American in his book. Even if you are a combat veteran.
IF he ever was, which I doubt, anymore....
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206091 Jul 31, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone yanked guest's chain today, he'll calm down soon.
VV is kinda subdued today, shorter posts. Only 500 words each just as boring and dumb as always.
Some one rattled Big D's cage he's been pontificating down at us all day.
Jizzy occasionally interjected his idiocy and accused me of the usual crimes like posting. Or existing.
All in all a slow day.
..Guess so...
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206092 Jul 31, 2013
Dismayed wrote:
This is so disappointing. Our country is going down the toilet. I am called a homophobe for upholding my christian beliefs and for voting for what I believe in. I will not ever support gays or lesbians due to my own personal beliefs so don't hate me for fighting for what I believe in. You are fighting for what you believe in too yet, you hate anyone who does not support your choice. Are we supposed to approve anything and everything anyone wants? Should we just have an anything goes society. NO RULES, NO CONSEQUENCES??? Really????
It's what they want. Free rein.
well

Round Lake, IL

#206093 Jul 31, 2013
Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<quoted text>
He was hoping you'd become strong. Instead, the abuse made you gay.
Ummm sweetheart, I am a straight, very happily married woman. I have a wonderful husband, 4 children and 4 grandchildren.

Would you care to make any other snap judgements about me? So far you're not doing so well...
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206095 Jul 31, 2013
well wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Ummm sweetheart, I am a straight, very happily married woman. I have a wonderful husband, 4 children and 4 grandchildren.
2) Would you care to make any other snap judgements about me? So far you're not doing so well...
1) Then I am glad to hear that. I am also glad the the normal lifestyle was the way to go...
2) No, I'll stop here, snap judgments are not always sound ones.
:-D
But, to go against the best traditions of this room, I'll apologize for being wrong, and admit so.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#206096 Jul 31, 2013
Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<quoted text>
He won't read them, he'll ignore them. It's his only option.
Big D conveniently ignores any information that doesn't fit his argument as if it didn't exist. No need to read it. He already knows it's wrong.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#206097 Jul 31, 2013
Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<quoted text>
IF he ever was, which I doubt, anymore....
Yeah, he doesn't seem to pack the gear. I notice that too.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#206098 Jul 31, 2013
Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<quoted text>
..Guess so...
Now Big D says if you disagree with him you are "anti-American".

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#206099 Jul 31, 2013
Hello power rangers. I'm a girl scout and I'm sellin cookies to the highest bidder because I want to sell the most! Does anybody know any good stories about plundering booty?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#206100 Jul 31, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You call mating behavior and historical cross cultural and religious customs 'common practice'? Yes. However, most common practices are not opinion. They are exactly such because they are true.
I keep asking if you read what you write, you really should. I think you'd laugh too.
LOL
Why must we continue to go through this?

At one time slavery was common practice. It was practiced far and wide for eons. It was only after the Age of Enlightenment that the abolition of slavery really caught on worldwide.

The once common practice of buying and selling human beings on the open market is very much like the once common practice of marriage being defined as only taking place between a man and a woman.

Our country has been bending toward justice since its inception. We have questioned common practice as it pertained to racial minorities, women, the handicapped, religious minorities, etc.

That traditional marriage has been altered to include couples of the same sex represents a continuation of the long tradition of seeking equality.

You cannot argue your case by saying, "It's the way we've always did it."

I'm always at least two steps ahead of you.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206101 Jul 31, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why I doubt that D ever was in the Coast Guard. He'd have more respect for his fellow Americans. He'd have learned to accept it.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206102 Jul 31, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Why must we continue to go through this?
At one time slavery was common practice. It was practiced far and wide for eons. It was only after the Age of Enlightenment that the abolition of slavery really caught on worldwide.
The once common practice of buying and selling human beings on the open market is very much like the once common practice of marriage being defined as only taking place between a man and a woman.
Our country has been bending toward justice since its inception. We have questioned common practice as it pertained to racial minorities, women, the handicapped, religious minorities, etc.
That traditional marriage has been altered to include couples of the same sex represents a continuation of the long tradition of seeking equality.
You cannot argue your case by saying, "It's the way we've always did it."
I'm always at least two steps ahead of you.
VV, the two have nothing whatsoever to do with each other. One violates the very existence of freedom of movement and any sort of choice, at all, the other places the need for societal acceptance upon the "couple" wishing to be "married", and depends upon the societal acceptance, else the couple can freely go where they wish, with no let or hindrance.
Altered or not, SSSB has no right to suddenly create a self-eminence and thrust itself (no pun intended) into the mainstream. Marriage is a privelege, not a right.
You're not "two steps ahead", you're attempting to compare apples and pencils.....
The only similarity between the two is that one can make a stain with either....
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206103 Jul 31, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Big D conveniently ignores any information that doesn't fit his argument as if it didn't exist. No need to read it. He already knows it's wrong.
...I've noticed...
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206104 Jul 31, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's why, if we were in the same room, I'd throw every drink I could find in his face...
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206105 Jul 31, 2013
Then, I'd slap him, many times....Until he left the room..... F***ing traitor, that's what he is.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#206106 Jul 31, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text> This first passage is Jesus Christ speaking out against homosexuality. Notice that He differentiates between adultery and sexual immorality - this is important to note because the term 'homosexuality' was not common during His time obviously, so He used the term sexual immorality - separate from adultery - to encompass homosexuality and any other sexual wickedness that is immoral:
Mark 7:21-22
"For from within, out of men's hearts, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly."
This next passage is Jesus' affirmation of the traditional definition of marriage between one man and one woman. He even goes as far as referencing the story of Creation in which God created male and female. Notice how He specifies a man and wife, not a man and his partner or a woman and her partner:
Matthew 19:4-5
"Haven't you read," He replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said,'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'?"
So, what you're saying is that Christ didn't know the word for homosexual? He spoke Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic and there were plenty of words to describe various homosexual relationships in these languages.

I'm not buying it.

And regarding your comment about "A man will leave his father and mother..."; that simply describes one type of relationship. Just because He discussed marriage between opposite gender couples doesn't mean that He discounted relationships between same-gender couples.

You CANNOT use the Books of the Bible as a historical rule book--a place in which all answers to all questions are found.

That is why we are encouraged to develop a personal relationship with God. When there is doubt, you and I can go to Him for guidance.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206107 Jul 31, 2013
D has no right to call himself an "American". He's too quick to remove anyone else's citizenship. He ignores the fact that any true American cherishes his fellows rights to have a different opinion, even if it annoys him. I do. I respect anyones right to have an opinion, even if I don't agree with it, and would never presume to tell anyone (that was born here or naturalized, as per THE LAW) that they are not an American. Anyone who wishes to supress the opinion of a fellow American should be deported, to a country where such behavior is commonplace.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206108 Jul 31, 2013
suppress

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 4 hr dannytome 15,962
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 hr J RULES 68,991
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Fri Macko mono 5,000
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
First City Festival 2014 Brings Ugly Rock Metal... Thu JoeMama 2
Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles Thu Money 1
My fears for Doris Day: Confidante who spent 40... (Oct '13) Thu marti eton square 4
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Monterey News, Events & Info