Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
177,781 - 177,800 of 200,327 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“Jesus is Lord”

Since: Aug 11

Greenwood, Indiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

Hosea 4:6.....
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at the city it comes from before you assume anything, there are people pretending to be others around here.
Oh, do you mean that when he clicked on "reply", he was assuming that it was you that he was responding to, instead of the poster that was using your name? Or, did you mean to advise yourself against assuming that it was you that he was responding to, when he clicked on "respond"? Or did you mean that the computer should not assume that it was you that Frank wasn't responding to, when he clicked on "respond"?

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

ThePreacherman01 wrote:
Hosea 4:6.....
HUH?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<quoted text>
A whole 2%? Wow, really jumping on board, arent't they?
Given that we represent somewhere between 4% to 6% of the population, I think we're doing our part.
sheesh

Gaithersburg, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

guest wrote:
<quoted text>
HUH?
King James Version

Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children

It is from the Hebrew Bible. Back when God was vindictive. He calmed down a bit for the New Testament though.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
So manipulating a contract to establish a counterfeit relationship is going to take ss couples from a horrible track record to the best?
Please don't make me hold my breath...
LOL
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes... I do believe that establishing a legally binding contract will help same-gender relationships.
Were it not for marriage, people would just be hooking up left and right. You've even said so yourself (marriage is a constraint).
And despite no-fault divorces, I still maintain that divorce is emotionally and financially devastating. The negative aspects of divorce from a legal contract help keep couples intact.
Throw in the ceremony; where you stand before God and a group of witnesses--family and friends, and you've got the makings of an actual social structure that encourages couples to remain together.
Marriage will strengthen same-sex couple's relationships. And that can only be good for us and the community.
Marriage is a constraint primarily because of mutual children.

You not only deny that element, ss couple cannot even perform it.

Even more ridiculous is your assertion. History shows that not considering children has destroyed marital commitment.

Your denial knows no reality.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
If I remember my history well, and I do,
interracial marriages have existed in every culture in human history.
Ss couples being married? Incredibly rare and marginal instances that were often an aberration in the society.
As to the condition of marriage now? You can thank government for the last time they redefined marriage.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Those formal and informal bans on homosexual relationships were clearly established on religious, non-scientific beliefs and understandings about gays and lesbians.
Historical mistreatment of a minority group CANNOT be the basis for continued mistreatment; especially in light of the fact that (now pay particular attention to this) GAYS AND LESBIANS ARE NOT NOW CONISDERED TO BE DISORDERED OR UNNATURAL.
We have collectively learned that the way we viewed homosexuality throughout a great deal of history WAS WRONG!
Other radical shifts in scientific belief include:
--The discovery and acceptance that the world is not flat.
--The discovery and acceptance that the earth is not the center of the universe.
--The discovery and acceptance that illnesses are not related to an invasion of evil spirits or demonic possession.
--The discovery and acceptance that there are core elements that make up the world we live in.
--The discovery of the atom.
--The discovery and acceptance of working within a sterile medical setting to reduce the number of deaths from infections.
I could go on and on, but hopefully, you see my point.
The discovery and acceptance of homosexuality being a natural and normal orientation has been a game-changer in the way that society will forever look at gays and lesbians.
Short of some kind of worldwide, cataclysmic event that destroys all knowledge, we are not going to revisit the issue of homosexuality as being a disorder ever again.
The world view of homosexuality is based on common sense. It is exposed as a defective mutation in so many aspects that every culture and religion acknowledged it.

That is the ONLY collective view of any measure.

Moreover, your claim of normalcy is impossible to assert until the cause of homosexual is known. While that cause is likely to occur soon, it isn't looking good for a epi-marker that 'normally' gets erased...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Vv, claiming identity with other members of society is simply wishful thinking if you are not honest about your distinctions.
The military is in the middle of problems because they deny gender and orientation distinctions. You demand the denial of orientation distinctions in marriage.
Dishonesty and denial creates a wicked bitch slap from reality...
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
When it comes to denial's wicked bitch slap, you could write a book. You always seem to be right in the middle of it.
Here are the facts...
-- About 14,000 men have reported some kind of male/male unwanted harassment in the U.S. Armed forces. There are some 1.2 million men serving in the U.S. military. This means that just a tad over 1% of the men serving in the military have experienced unwanted male/male harassment.
--There are about 200,000 women serving in the military. Of that number, 12,000 have reported unwanted male/female harassment. That's a full 6% of women who have experienced harassment.
--Based on the figures above, we can pretty much determine that (a) unwanted harassment is a minor problem; especially involving male/male and (b) some men can be real dogs.
--Keep in mind that not all male/male harassment complaints come from heterosexual soldiers. Some of them obviously come from homosexual soldiers who believe they are being sexually harassed by a bunch of homophobic, mouth breathing, knuckle draggers.
----------
With only 1% male/male sexual harassment charges (some of them being from gay men), there is no major problem.
I'm guessing that the Department of Defense is working to reduce those numbers to as close to zero as possible.
But for some reason, sex and war has gone together for eons. I guess there's something about throwing a bunch of men and women together in highly stressful situations that bring out the worst in them. Not knowing whether you're going to be alive from one day to the next tends to make people rowdy. Politeness goes out the door.
If our country is going insist on going to war, as it has done for the majority of the past century, it's just going to have to learn to live with the fact that their warriors are not angels.
And finally, did you honestly think you could get away with comparing war and marriage? That's like comparing bicycles to bumble bees. They have no connection whatsoever.
Consider your denial bitch slapped...
You ignored the article I posted.

Most male/male assaults are not reported.

The military brass has been working to lower sexual assault. That is why the huge increase is so troubling.

However, you totally ignore the point of my post. I used the military as an example of denial and it's consequences. You can claim any future outcome you want, but the reality is right now that denial is getting bitch slapped big time. The consequences for a war time situation are worse.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I was comparing same-gender couples who want and seek to adopt children to those heterosexual couples who abort their fetuses, abuse their children, neglect them, and create chaotic and broken homes.
I'm just saying that since gays don't go around making babies that seem to be inconveniences for some straight couples, we're more likely to be better parents.
Wow, the only children available are the result of horrible hetero parents...

And waiting in the wings are ss couples who will become the best parents ever.

Where do facts come in VV, because this is a fiction story.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Given that we represent somewhere between 4% to 6% of the population, I think we're doing our part.
More fiction.

GLBT combined was last noted at 3.7% by Gallup.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

sheesh wrote:
<quoted text>
King James Version
Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children
It is from the Hebrew Bible. Back when God was vindictive. He calmed down a bit for the New Testament though.
Commentary about faith by a faithless person.

Hosea 4:6 (MSG)
6 My people are ruined because they don't know what's right or true. Because you've turned your back on knowledge, I've turned my back on you priests. Because you refuse to recognize the revelation of God, I'm no longer recognizing your children.

Denying reality and faith go hand in hand...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a faerie tale.

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
So manipulating a contract to establish a counterfeit relationship is going to take ss couples from a horrible track record to the best?
LOL
<quoted text>
Even more ridiculous is your assertion. History shows that not considering children has destroyed marital commitment.
We heard your OPINIONS the first 14,000 times you posted them, Gregory Dale Kirschmann. You sound like a parrot.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
<quoted text>
Once again you throw children under the bus to further your distaste for homosexuals.

Once again you refuse to recognize that homosexuals adopt children and are therefore just as "constrained" as heterosexual couples--if you even buy into that crap.

Can you show me where history has shown that not considering children has destroyed marital commitment? And please, for the love of God, make sure you cite someone who is legitimate.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
More fiction.
GLBT combined was last noted at 3.7% by Gallup.
Does Gallup take into account those people who might have been asked about their orientation but were afraid to answer? Or those who are closeted but "active"?

Here's what the folks over at Gallup had to say about their poll... "As a group still subject to social stigma, many of those who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender may not be forthcoming about this identity when asked about it in a survey. Therefore, it's likely that some Americans in what is commonly referred to as "the closet" would not be included in the estimates derived from the Gallup interviews."

How many times have I recommended that you do a minimum of research before throwing out "facts"?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a faerie tale.
LOL

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

guest wrote:
<quoted text>
We heard your OPINIONS the first 14,000 times you posted them, Gregory Dale Kirschmann. You sound like a parrot.
Don't forget my blog! Lots more great stuff there.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again you throw children under the bus to further your distaste for homosexuals.
Once again you refuse to recognize that homosexuals adopt children and are therefore just as "constrained" as heterosexual couples--if you even buy into that crap.
Can you show me where history has shown that not considering children has destroyed marital commitment? And please, for the love of God, make sure you cite someone who is legitimate.
Aside from your stupid attempt to turn the tables, we've been talking about the results of no-fault divorce and the consequences to children.

Moreover, adoption, step, foster all show significant drops in child welfare from birth parents (the context we were addressing).

Ss couples will ALWAYS deprive a child of one gender and at least one natural parent. Clearly a defective solution to a default situation.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Does Gallup take into account those people who might have been asked about their orientation but were afraid to answer? Or those who are closeted but "active"?
Here's what the folks over at Gallup had to say about their poll... "As a group still subject to social stigma, many of those who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender may not be forthcoming about this identity when asked about it in a survey. Therefore, it's likely that some Americans in what is commonly referred to as "the closet" would not be included in the estimates derived from the Gallup interviews."
How many times have I recommended that you do a minimum of research before throwing out "facts"?
Aside from your continual whining, and failure once again to post reference (I trust nothing you say without it), that is the most trusted percentage.

If you can find a better source, along with validation, go for it.

You got called on a lie, man up queen!!!

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
If you'd read my post carefully, you'd see that I said "those parents"--not "all parents".

I fully recognize that not all heterosexual parents are abusive, neglectful, or provide a chaotic living environment.

But some do.

My point is that those homosexual (and heterosexual) couples who seek to adopt children are far less likely to be abusive, neglectful, or provide a chaotic living environment. The figure I found was that about 1% of adoptive homes were found to be abusive. The low number is directly related to the screening processes that potential parents must go through, as well as the fact that these children are WANTED by adoptive parents.

Are those facts enough for you, Kimmy?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Monterey Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••