Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
173,901 - 173,920 of 200,593 Comments Last updated 7 hrs ago
abc

Glendale, CA

#199960 Jul 3, 2013
test

“All your bullets ricochet”

Since: Jun 13

The South Pole

#199961 Jul 3, 2013
Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Like AIDS, or the Bubonic Plague?
Sounds like you recovered from your AIDS, Rock.

“All your bullets ricochet”

Since: Jun 13

The South Pole

#199962 Jul 3, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep hoping that someone will eventually buy into your belief that marriage and mating behavior MUST go together--that one cannot take place unless the other is present.
We all know that the vast majority of people marry one another because of love and attraction. Very rarely do people think about babies on their wedding night--unless there's already a bun in the oven.
And the number of married people who have children has significantly decreased over the past few decades.
Face it, Kim, your argument is weak as water.
But, I guess since the Supreme Court smacked you down this past week, you have to hold onto something.
He's going to set up a pie shop with Anita Bryant. Once they've cleaned it all out of their faces.
sdfsdf

Hanoi, Vietnam

#199963 Jul 3, 2013
wefwerwefwef

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#199972 Jul 3, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep hoping that someone will eventually buy into your belief that marriage and mating behavior MUST go together--that one cannot take place unless the other is present.
We all know that the vast majority of people marry one another because of love and attraction. Very rarely do people think about babies on their wedding night--unless there's already a bun in the oven.
And the number of married people who have children has significantly decreased over the past few decades.
But, I guess since the Supreme Court smacked you down this past week, you have to hold onto something.
I've never said OR insinuated that procreation 'must' go with marriage. It simply is a natural result of marriage.

It NEVER is a result of ss couples.

Did SCOTUS change that fact? Really? I can't wait to see.

Snicker smirk.

Location hidden

#199973 Jul 3, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I understand the implications fairly well. I mean, Christ Almighty, every LGBT attorney in this country is talking about it. I listen. I read. I understand.
If there wasn't anything for those states with DOMA laws to worry about, why are a handful of right-wing, zealots promising to try to pass a Constitutional Amendment to define marriage as being between one man and one woman?
They see the handwriting on the wall. They know it's coming. And they're scared as hell.
Thirty percent of the country now lives in an area where same-sex marriage is legal.
Hell, at the turn of this century, barely 30 percent of the population approved of same-sex marriage.
"Right" always finds a way.
Many people give into manipulation and propaganda. History is full of examples.

Reality always wins when 'right' is perverted. Keep that in mind VV.

It is interesting that both Islam and the homosexual agenda are on the rise at the same time...

Location hidden

#199974 Jul 3, 2013
Speak the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes indeed. To further expose the hipocracy that is KiMare, some additional passages from the very same blog, 11-10-2010:
"Same-sex relationships have every right to be defined in specific ways. They should also have the necessary protections and justice."
"I have no desire to make you defensive or offend you. I hope we can debate these issues in a polite and fair way. I know I have much more to learn, but this is what I have come to so far."
"Casting stones does no one any good"
Have these self-acclaimed values, as written by the blog author, been demonstrated in Topix? I think not.
Hey Browser,

Your behavior is an exposure of values too, isn't it.

I give everyone a chance for polite dialogue. Did VV a long time ago.

I do not give denial the same courtesy. That is where my barbarianism sinks the knife of reality to the hilt, into the belly of denial, and twists it with a smirk.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#199975 Jul 3, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure they can take place separate from each other, but, is that a broad societal desire?
Why they marry doesn't negate the primary societal function of marriage. As to the wedding night, two go to bed but three get up.
And the rates of out of wedlock births, and cohabitation have risen considerably.
It was a smack, but not as hard as you and other SSMers had hoped.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#199976 Jul 3, 2013
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2010
Gay Marriage
Same-sex relationships are not the same as a heterosexual marriage.

I don't think there has ever been a person who is not sexually broken in some way.

That brokenness may be a genetic deformity (born that way), the result of twisted modeling from within the family or outside, abuse/molestation, improper initial sexual experiences or choice (sex outside of marriage in any form).

However, nature, culture, history and religion all point very consistently to a norm. If not, this debate would have been over long ago.

Casting stones does no one any good, nor does trying to make the abnormal normal.

I would suggest our greatest challenge is not each other, but honestly facing and dealing with our own brokenness.

Scientist are not sure why two genders evolved, but it makes sense that one gender focused on protection and provision, while the other on reproduction and nurture.

It is interesting that the Bible indicates just that; Adam was created, and out of that single gender Eve was created. Both had unique purposes that brought 'completion' or 'oneness' when re-united in marriage.

It is not only the perfect setting for reproduction and the nurture of young. It is also a relationship where both genders find 'balance' in a number of ways through an exclusive, life-long commitment in marriage.

One obvious example is the physical expression of oneness in sexual union between a man and a woman. Male and female were made for each other sexually. Homosexual union does not naturally fit.

Same-sex relationships can certainly have genuine love and many other qualities. But it is impossible to match the diversity and balance of heterosexual marriage.

Same-sex relationships have every right to be defined in specific ways. They should also have the necessary protections and justice. However, to provide that within the scope of the marriage relationship is not right or logical.

I have no desire to make you defensive or offend you. I hope we can debate these issues in a polite and fair way. I know I have much more to learn, but this is what I have come to so far.

You are right that marriages in the western world have taken a downward turn in the last few decades. I have some thoughts about that for later.

In the historical context I was speaking of, marriages have been between a man and a woman across cultures, religions and human history.

You are right that homosexuality has always been around and is present in the animal kingdom. But in neither places to a great degree. Among animals there is often a extenuating circumstance.

Among humans it has been and is more often rejected as 'abnormal' or worse. If you re-consider what I listed as possible causes of homosexuality, only one or maybe two would be a choice.

There is certainly a broad genetic variation between masculinity and femininity expressed in genders. However, there is a point where a unusual genetic variation becomes abnormal. I do not say that in a moral sense at all.

The influences of society and family, abuse or molestation also must have a factor in our sexuality. Those are also amoral factors on the part of the recipient.

Our initial sexual experience may be a choice, and therefore possibly unwise. Some people experiment sexually later in life as the Apostle Paul spoke about in Romans. Those are choices.

As I stated earlier, I think we are all sexually broken. God does not excuse us because of that. We are held accountable for how we handle our brokenness.

My experience has been to tightly hold on to two truths. First,'those who do such things will not inherit the Kingdom of God'. And second,'if we confess our sin He is faithful and just to forgive us'.

Posted by Gregory Kirschmann at 7:11 AM No comments:
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2010
MERCY MIGHTY
Mikey

Fullerton, CA

#199977 Jul 3, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 2010
Gay Marriage

Posted by Gregory Kirschmann at 7:11 AM No comments:
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2010
MERCY MIGHTY
Totally disagree and it's BS, Frankie...There are many ways a person can broken, but to equate sexual 'brokenness' to anything between consenting adults, that's not conforming to heterosexual identity is ignorant, bigoted and judgmental. AND to force conformity to the latter is repression, the exact reason people become 'broken' in the first place!

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#199978 Jul 3, 2013
Same sex marriage will be legal nation wide soon. If you don't like it tough...freedom and equality and justice for all...GET THE ALL PART
laughing man

UK

#199979 Jul 3, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
Same sex marriage will be legal nation wide soon. If you don't like it tough...freedom and equality and justice for all...GET THE ALL PART
Juvenile slogans and Der Sphincter is ALL you need!!!!

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#199980 Jul 3, 2013
laughing man wrote:
<quoted text>
Juvenile slogans and Der Sphincter is ALL you need!!!!
Is hate and bigotry all you know???????
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#199981 Jul 3, 2013
Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally disagree and it's BS, Frankie...There are many ways a person can broken, but to equate sexual 'brokenness' to anything between consenting adults, that's not conforming to heterosexual identity is ignorant, bigoted and judgmental. AND to force conformity to the latter is repression, the exact reason people become 'broken' in the first place!
He's not Frankie you moron.

What a dope! No wonder you are confused. Makes you even more fun though, do carry on.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#199982 Jul 3, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
Yes! One more step towards marriage equality! Ain't it great?!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#199983 Jul 3, 2013
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh come on. Do you really think that dummy?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#199984 Jul 3, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never said OR insinuated that procreation 'must' go with marriage. It simply is a natural result of marriage.
It NEVER is a result of ss couples.
Did SCOTUS change that fact? Really? I can't wait to see.
Snicker smirk.
Procreation IS NOT a natural result of marriage. It MAY happen in a marriage, but it also MAY NOT happen. And as I've shown in past posts, it's becoming LESS likely to happen in marriages here in the U.S. The rate of childbirth in marriages have been declining for decades.

And you ALWAYS seem to forget about those same-sex couples who adopt children. So, if you're going to claim that children are a natural result of marriage, then you MUST also claim that children are a natural result of same-sex marriage.

That you cling to this very flimsy argument says just how much you have failed in your attempts to show that same-sex couples should not have the same rights and protections as opposite-sex couples.

What will your next lie be? In what other ways will you attempt to distort reality as this discussion continues?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#199985 Jul 3, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Many people give into manipulation and propaganda. History is full of examples.
Reality always wins when 'right' is perverted. Keep that in mind VV.
It is interesting that both Islam and the homosexual agenda are on the rise at the same time...
Yes, many people give into manipulation and propaganda. I think of all of those sermons I listened to (usually by people such as yourself) when I was growing up. You preached inaccuracies--parroted information that you knew nothing about. And the congregation just sat in their pews, believing they were hearing "the truth". They never checked it out on their own.

And I can't imagine what you're implying with your final comment. I'm sure it's another attempt to link homosexuality with terror, or something equally ridiculous.

Gays don't throw bombs. They throw glitter (or pies).
Tenents

Monrovia, CA

#199986 Jul 3, 2013
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
laughing man

UK

#199987 Jul 3, 2013
ToManyImbeciles wrote:
<quoted text>
You came up with that all by yourself, didn't you?

Nobody will ever suspect you spent all of this weeks lunch money having a first grader read the script for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 7 min Frijoles 68,998
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 7 hr go away 5,007
clint the flint 11 hr ubietron 1
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 16 hr lazy posts 15,963
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
First City Festival 2014 Brings Ugly Rock Metal... Aug 28 JoeMama 2
Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles Aug 28 Money 1
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search