Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
173,781 - 173,800 of 200,590 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

#199753 Jul 2, 2013
laughing man wrote:
<quoted text>
You okay, Sheldon?
Thank you for your attempted post. However, it made no sense. Please re-phrase your post and try again. Thank you for your attention to this matter. I hope you are enjoying your Topix experience.
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

#199754 Jul 2, 2013
Bowser wrote:
<quoted text>
Repeating the same message over and over again? Just like you! Yes, it is idiotic. I'm glad you have received the message.
Oh and Sybil, I mean Frankie, please share this with your internal alter-ego, KiMare.*smirk*

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#199755 Jul 2, 2013
Bowser wrote:
<quoted text>
I know (not think) that it will allow 2 consenting adults to be married in the eyes of the law without regard to gender. If you want to continue discussing polygamy, feel free to do so.
that said, your statements are illogical Frankie. Out of one side of your mouth you indicate that the 2 parties to the marriage are the same gender. Out of the other side of your mouth, you call what you refer to as "one half" of the marriage female. Obviously that was just an attempt to pick a fight.
Carry on, Sybil.
Feeling pretty shameful, aren't you Browser.

You should.

Tell me, why does a legitimate cause need troll behavior like that?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#199756 Jul 2, 2013
It's so funny...

Prior to the Supreme Court's decision, I felt the need to come here frequently to defend the right of same-gender couples to marry.

But now that the decision has been made, I'm losing interest.

What's the point in arguing with these poor, ignorant souls? They lost. They lost big.

It makes me feel like I can just sit back and watch the other states DOMA statutes fall apart--one by one.

Seriously... Who gives a damn about what these people think anymore?

The LGBT community broke a serious barrier last week. It's been happening all around the world and with greater regularity in this country.

A few lawmakers are going to push for a Constitutional amendment. But it's too late. It's not going to happen.

One of the few things that George W. Bush did for the LGBT community was to make people hate conservatism so much that citizens have been opening their minds to becoming more socially moderate.

The result has been a minor but vocal backlash from old school Republicans. They're chasing women's issues. They're chasing Obamacare. They're chasing LGBT issues. They're chasing immigration issues.

And they're still losing.

I'm a little impatient. I wish we could speed things up a bit so that we can go ahead and get the old guard out--get on with life...

But I'll wait.

Location hidden

#199757 Jul 2, 2013
Bowser wrote:
The evolution continues:
The poll by Princeton Survey Research Associates questioned 1,003 adults from Thursday through Sunday. It has a margin of error of +/-3.6 percentage points.
Among the findings:
By an unprecedented 55%-40%, Americans say marriages between same-sex couples should be recognized by law as valid, with the same rights of traditional marriage. That's the highest level of support since Gallup began asking the question in 1996. Then, fewer than half that number, 27%, backed the idea.
Last year was the first time a majority of Americans had backed gay marriage.
The only major demographic groups in which a majority oppose same-sex marriage are Republicans (68%) and seniors 65 and older (51%). Even in the South, which continues to be the only region that doesn't show majority support for gay marriage, opposition has slipped below 50%.
What hasn't evolved?

Ss couples are only ever a mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gendered half of marriage. A mating behavior defective failure.

Clearly not the same as or equal to marriage.
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

#199758 Jul 2, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You should.
Thank you for your attempted post. However, it made no sense. Please re-phrase your post and try again. Thank you for your attention to this matter. I hope you are enjoying your Topix experience.

Location hidden

#199759 Jul 2, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that will make mutually sterile duplicate gendered halves the same as marriage?
I can't wait to see!
My guess is Jonah will turn into a pregnant wife, and VV will become the woman he's always wanted to be!
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sowing discord again. Actions detested by your god.
Enjoy hell bitch!
Or, Like Elijah mocking the priests of Baal, I mock your sacrilegious facade.

Ss couples are clearly not the same or equal to marriage.
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

#199760 Jul 2, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
What hasn't evolved?
Ss couples are only ever a mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gendered half of marriage. A mating behavior defective failure.
Clearly not the same as or equal to marriage.

Aptos, CA

#199761 Jul 2, 2013
America is no longer democratic country! Government rules the people now. It is way bigger issue than ssm. People voted, 1 judge decided what to do with it all. Welcome to USSR!
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

#199762 Jul 2, 2013
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that will make mutually sterile duplicate gendered halves the same as marriage?
I can't wait to see!
My guess is Jonah will turn into a pregnant wife, and VV will become the woman he's always wanted to be!
<quoted text>
Or, Like Elijah mocking the priests of Baal, I mock your sacrilegious facade.
Ss couples are clearly not the same or equal to marriage.
laughing man

UK

#199763 Jul 2, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
They lost. They lost big.
5 to 4, shitferbrains, by a SCROTUS that followed the political wind. Nobody truly cared about you, and never will.

But you keep believing that....

drum roll, please....

FAIRIE tale!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#199764 Jul 2, 2013
Zoro wrote:
<quoted text>Tell that to the 8-16 year old children. Polygamy won't harm them.
You are advocating that the religious freedom given in the 1st admen. Grants religious freedom. YOU have posted it. Now if we allow Poly based on religious freedom, HOW can we deny them the very right to marry a 9 year old girl???
YOU cant have it both ways. If you support the religious rights as you have said then you support child abuse, rape, you pervert
We don't base it on religious freedom we base it on equal protection. Let's keep your hate for religious people out of it.

No one is advocating child marriage you idiot. Or any criminal activity. Prosecute the crime, not the marriage.

There are perfectly good laws against all the imagined evils your ignorance conjures up against poly marriage. Of course we are talking about adults moron.

What a dope!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#199765 Jul 2, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You should.
What's worse is he is impersonating Ronald's honey. He's not half the man the real Bowser is and the real Bowser is a dog.
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

#199766 Jul 2, 2013
guest wrote:
America is no longer democratic country! Government rules the people now. It is way bigger issue than ssm. People voted, 1 judge decided what to do with it all. Welcome to USSR!
People voted on a ballot initiative that was unconstitutional, as it infringed on the rights of others. In the US, we have a system of checks and balances to correct these situations. Sometimes it just takes a while.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#199767 Jul 2, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
It's so funny...
Prior to the Supreme Court's decision, I felt the need to come here frequently to defend the right of same-gender couples to marry.
What's the point in arguing with these poor, ignorant souls? They lost. They lost big.
It makes me feel like I can just sit back and watch the other states DOMA statutes fall apart--one by one.
The LGBT community broke a serious barrier last week. It's been happening all around the world and with greater regularity in this country.
A few lawmakers are going to push for a Constitutional amendment. But it's too late. It's not going to happen.
One of the few things that George W. Bush did for the LGBT community was to make people hate conservatism so much that citizens have been opening their minds to becoming more socially moderate.
The result has been a minor but vocal backlash from old school Republicans. They're chasing women's issues. They're chasing Obamacare. They're chasing LGBT issues. They're chasing immigration issues.
I'm a little impatient. I wish we could speed things up a bit so that we can go ahead and get the old guard out--get on with life...
But I'll wait.
The point is we haven't achieved marriage equality yet.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#199768 Jul 2, 2013
Zoro wrote:
<quoted text> If you support religious rights as you have said then you support child abuse, rape, you pervert
What a dope!

“All your bullets ricochet”

Since: Jun 13

The South Pole

#199769 Jul 2, 2013
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!! Not one lawyer defending Prop 8 was able to state one negative affect on society that gays being married would result in. But old KiMare here is apparently aware of a whole "can of worms"!!!
Please KiMare, do detail for us all the specific bad things that are going to occur as a result of gays marrying!!!! Give us the top 10!!!!!
Stupid bitch!! Smile!!
When they brought in SSM in New Zealand recently, an MP named Maurice Williamson made this speech.

Aptos, CA

#199770 Jul 2, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
It's so funny...
But I'll wait.
Great point, but you are forgetting that the constitution of USA defines this country as democratic! Think about it! It is not about you and what YOU want!
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

#199771 Jul 2, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
What's worse is he is impersonating Ronald's honey. He's not half the man the real Bowser is and the real Bowser is a dog.
How cute, Sybil is talking to himself now. Frankie replied to his own post that he made as KiMare. What a dope.
Zoro

Cambridge, IL

#199772 Jul 2, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't base it on religious freedom we base it on equal protection. Let's keep your hate for religious people out of it.
No one is advocating child marriage you idiot. Or any criminal activity. Prosecute the crime, not the marriage.
There are perfectly good laws against all the imagined evils your ignorance conjures up against poly marriage. Of course we are talking about adults moron.
What a dope!
One one hand you say that because of religious principles we should allow polygamy.
When I post that Islam allows children to be married as young as 1 year old, you say that there are laws that prevent that.
How does that work sport? If you pass laws that allow polygamy based on religion, how can you then stop adults from marring children based on the same religious principles????
The same holds true for the FLDS,Warren Jeffs allowed girls 12, and 15 to be married.
He was extradited to Texas, where he was found guilty of sexual assault and aggravated sexual assault of children in connection with a raid of an FLDS owned and occupied West Texas ranch in 2008.[9] After the jury had deliberated for less than 30 minutes, 55-year-old Jeffs was sentenced to life in prison plus 20 years and a $10,000 fine, to be served consecutively, for sexual assault of both 12 and 15-year-old girls.[10]

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 1 hr hidden loction nuts 5,002
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 3 hr lazy posts 15,963
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 hr J RULES 68,992
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
First City Festival 2014 Brings Ugly Rock Metal... Thu JoeMama 2
Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles Thu Money 1
My fears for Doris Day: Confidante who spent 40... (Oct '13) Thu marti eton square 4
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Monterey News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Monterey