Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,187

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Bowser

Long Beach, CA

#199478 Jul 1, 2013
Additional progress is already being made:

Michigan's voter-approved gay marriage ban will face a trial after a federal judge declined a motion by the state to dismiss a lawsuit that challenges the prohibition. Citing last week's Supreme Court decision that effectively gives federal marriage benefits to same-sex marriages in states where they're already legal, the judge declared that the "plaintiffs are entitled to their day in court and they shall have it.” It looks like this is one of what will likely be many court challenges to state gay marriage bans in the wake of the SCOTUS decisions.
RELATED: Poll: Majority of Americans Approve of Gay Marriage
The lawsuit in question began as an adoption case: the two plaintiffs, Jayne Rowse and April DeBoer, both nurses, are an unmarried couple living with each other in a house they own together. Each has at least one adopted child, but they're barred by state law from adopting each other's kids (only single people or married couples may adopt in Michigan, meaning that one, but not both, members of an LGBT couple may adopt). And, similar to Supreme Court Justice Kennedy's decision on the DOMA case, the lawsuit alleges that the state law violates the equal protection clause in the Fourteenth Amendment. Later, the suit was amended to include a challenge to the state's gay marriage ban, too, also citing equal protection and due process. That ban, passed by voters in 2004, amended the state constitution to prohibit same-sex marriages and civil unions.
Here's more from federal Judge Bernard Friedman's decision:
"Plaintiffs’ equal protection claim has sufficient merit to proceed. The United States Supreme Court’s recent decision in United States v. Windsor, No. 12-307 (U.S. Jun. 26, 2013), has provided the requisite precedential fodder for both parties to this litigation. plaintiffs are prepared to claim Windsor as their own...And why shouldn’t they? The Supreme Court has just invalidated a federal statute on equal protection grounds because it “place[d] same-sex couples in an unstable position of being in a second-tier marriage.” Id. slip op. at 23. Moreover, and of particular importance to this case, the justices expressed concern that the natural consequence of such discriminatory legislation would not only lead to the relegation of same-sex relationships to a form of second-tier status, but impair the rights of “tens of thousands of children now being raised by same-sex couples” as well. Id. This is exactly the type of harm plaintiffs seek to remedy in this case."
Ralphee

Monrovia, CA

#199479 Jul 1, 2013
Ralph Patton doesn't understand that people like him live in a Racists city called Glendora so he don' see no harm?

A young girl in the South uttering a word that is now taboo (for whites only) is not a racist 50 years later.

Ralph Patton, Glendora, California
Brucie the gay parrot

UK

#199480 Jul 1, 2013
Bowser wrote:
Additional progress is already being made:
Regression is Progress!

pillow biter!!

Hurt me baby!!!!

Space Age!

Sphincter Age!!!!

SQUAWWWWKKKK!!!!!!
Paula Deen

Monrovia, CA

#199481 Jul 1, 2013
Paula Deen today pushed to have her case dismissed part of a racial discrimination lawsuit, the one in which she confessed to using the N-word in a deposition.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#199482 Jul 1, 2013
Bowser wrote:
Additional progress is already being made:
Michigan's voter-approved gay marriage ban will face a trial after a federal judge declined a motion by the state to dismiss a lawsuit that challenges the prohibition. Citing last week's Supreme Court decision that effectively gives federal marriage benefits to same-sex marriages in states where they're already legal, the judge declared that the "plaintiffs are entitled to their day in court and they shall have it.” It looks like this is one of what will likely be many court challenges to state gay marriage bans in the wake of the SCOTUS decisions.
RELATED: Poll: Majority of Americans Approve of Gay Marriage
The lawsuit in question began as an adoption case: the two plaintiffs, Jayne Rowse and April DeBoer, both nurses, are an unmarried couple living with each other in a house they own together. Each has at least one adopted child, but they're barred by state law from adopting each other's kids (only single people or married couples may adopt in Michigan, meaning that one, but not both, members of an LGBT couple may adopt). And, similar to Supreme Court Justice Kennedy's decision on the DOMA case, the lawsuit alleges that the state law violates the equal protection clause in the Fourteenth Amendment. Later, the suit was amended to include a challenge to the state's gay marriage ban, too, also citing equal protection and due process. That ban, passed by voters in 2004, amended the state constitution to prohibit same-sex marriages and civil unions.
Here's more from federal Judge Bernard Friedman's decision:
"Plaintiffs’ equal protection claim has sufficient merit to proceed. The United States Supreme Court’s recent decision in United States v. Windsor, No. 12-307 (U.S. Jun. 26, 2013), has provided the requisite precedential fodder for both parties to this litigation. plaintiffs are prepared to claim Windsor as their own...And why shouldn’t they? The Supreme Court has just invalidated a federal statute on equal protection grounds because it “place[d] same-sex couples in an unstable position of being in a second-tier marriage.” Id. slip op. at 23. Moreover, and of particular importance to this case, the justices expressed concern that the natural consequence of such discriminatory legislation would not only lead to the relegation of same-sex relationships to a form of second-tier status, but impair the rights of “tens of thousands of children now being raised by same-sex couples” as well. Id. This is exactly the type of harm plaintiffs seek to remedy in this case."
What do we, as a society say, to the "tens of thousands of children" being raised by their OWN biological mother and father within the context of a plural marriage, that their parents are relegated to second class citizenship status because their marriage us not legally recognized?
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#199483 Jul 1, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you sit around thinking, "Hey, wait, I can come up with something even dumber to post."?
Whatever definition of marriage the state has with the gender and species removed. Because including gender and species violates equal protection.
Rose_NoHo.

But what about the cute litter of puppies that are always whimpering that Big Government won't let the Honey of my choice, Bowser, and myself adopt? What kind of equal protection is THAT?

Incidentally, how do we answer those who say the concept of two persons of the same SEX "marrying" one another is even dumber?

Ronald
PinataSticks

Monrovia, CA

#199485 Jul 1, 2013
Looks like the last piñata is still hanging and getting wacked over and over again.

Fear-driven rhetoric killing the GOP

Political climate contributes to the problem was bizarre, with the references to the elite ruling class by the Republican Party in California.

Give it up GOP, RNC and Tea Party boobs the Republicans are not liked in California at all.

Instead they are the sticks hitting themselves over and over again.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#199486 Jul 1, 2013
Speak the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Let the truth come out.
What's your point Bowser?
laughing man

UK

#199487 Jul 1, 2013
Paula Deen wrote:
Paula Deen today pushed to have her case dismissed part of a racial discrimination lawsuit, the one in which she confessed to using the N-word in a deposition.
Let's get back on topic, shall we?

How come the pillow biters are giving Alec Baldwin a pass?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#199491 Jul 1, 2013
Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice one.
:-D
They say about polygamy "you can't count". I say back "you can't tell a man from a woman". They scream "HATER!"
MARY

Barstow, CA

#199499 Jul 1, 2013
When is the Mary is driving to Moreno Valley, California she's very sweet white lady/brown hair with light skin is white is coming to Moreno Valley, California and also going bowling @ Brunswick Moreno Valley Bowl is located at 24666 Sunnymead Boulevard. in Moreno Valley, CA?

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#199502 Jul 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
People should also have equal rights "WRT" polygamy. Get it?
And they do. Nobody can marry more than one person. Equal.
Notice, I'm not taking a position on polygamy.
Should everybody be able to marry more than one person? A topic for another forum.
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Why are you a hypocrite? Why do you attempt to censor me?
WTF are you talking about?
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
As far as going to another forum, no. This is a perfectly good marriage equality forum. Why do you attempt to censor me? Afraid of something?
Recommending someone stay on topic is hardly censoring the person.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#199503 Jul 1, 2013
Bruno wrote:
Hey Ho, funny how you of all people in here keep calling others "stupid" lol and keep biting those "N" Toe-Nails ... have a banana
Why do racists call black people monkeys when monkeys have light skin, thin lips, straight hair and flat butts? I've always found that amusing.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#199506 Jul 1, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
What, you don't want to take responsibility for the can of worms dumbing down marriage opened up???
Should you be allowed to marry?
You have both sets of genes.
You think our rights should depend on our sex genes, so, should you be able to marry twice, one for each set? Or not at all because you already have both sets?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#199507 Jul 1, 2013
This is what happens when freedom rings...

"San Francisco issues 563 same-sex marriage licenses over weekend"
July 1, 2013

On Monday, San Francisco’s City Hall was about as deserted as it should be for the first week in July, but that was hardly the case over the weekend.

Once the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals lifted their stay late Friday afternoon and allowed gay marriages to resume in California, same-sex couples rushed to the clerk’s office and kept coming throughout what was an extra special Pride weekend for some.

A total of 563 same-sex marriage licenses were issued since Friday in San Francisco, the only county in the state to stay open over the weekend for gay couples who couldn’t wait until Monday, said Assessor-Recorder Carmen Chu in a statement.

ON AVERAGE, ABOUT 48 COUPLES A DAY GET A MARRIAGE LICENSE AT CITY HALL, City Administrator spokesman Bill Barnes said. The city is encouraging any couples getting married in the near future to register online for a time to pick up their license, and Barnes said the city administrator’s office has added an additional 15 appointment slots per day.

And while few expected gay marriages to resume so quickly after the Supreme Court’s Proposition 8 decision on Wednesday, the 60 volunteers the city had been training to record and issue licenses and perform weddings still came through.

“I am deeply touched by the outpouring of support from our city employees and volunteers who took the time to be here at City Hall, working after hours and on their weekend, to perform our collective duties – that of ensuring that loving same-sex couples don’t have to wait to marry any longer,” Chu said.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#199508 Jul 1, 2013
Brucie the gay parrot wrote:
<quoted text>
No rational argument!
No rational argument!
I can't see!
I can't see!!!!
Save me, Der Sphincter!!!!!
SQUAWWWWKKKKK!!!!!
Guess you agree with me that there isn't a rational argument against gay marriage or you would have posted one.
BTW, stupid, unlike you, parrots don't just engage in mindless repetition. They know how make up terms, and understand abstract concepts. Again, unlike you.
Big D

Los Angeles, CA

#199509 Jul 1, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
This is what happens when freedom rings...
"San Francisco issues 563 same-sex marriage licenses over weekend"
July 1, 2013
On Monday, San Francisco’s City Hall was about as deserted as it should be for the first week in July, but that was hardly the case over the weekend.
Once the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals lifted their stay late Friday afternoon and allowed gay marriages to resume in California, same-sex couples rushed to the clerk’s office and kept coming throughout what was an extra special Pride weekend for some.
A total of 563 same-sex marriage licenses were issued since Friday in San Francisco, the only county in the state to stay open over the weekend for gay couples who couldn’t wait until Monday, said Assessor-Recorder Carmen Chu in a statement.
ON AVERAGE, ABOUT 48 COUPLES A DAY GET A MARRIAGE LICENSE AT CITY HALL, City Administrator spokesman Bill Barnes said. The city is encouraging any couples getting married in the near future to register online for a time to pick up their license, and Barnes said the city administrator’s office has added an additional 15 appointment slots per day.
And while few expected gay marriages to resume so quickly after the Supreme Court’s Proposition 8 decision on Wednesday, the 60 volunteers the city had been training to record and issue licenses and perform weddings still came through.
“I am deeply touched by the outpouring of support from our city employees and volunteers who took the time to be here at City Hall, working after hours and on their weekend, to perform our collective duties – that of ensuring that loving same-sex couples don’t have to wait to marry any longer,” Chu said.
Your breath reeks of sperm.
You need to use Lavoris and brush your teeth after blowing your lover.
Big D

Los Angeles, CA

#199510 Jul 1, 2013
Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a goddamned stud!
No... you are a mincing queer. You have never been a stud.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#199511 Jul 1, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Dumber than you? Impossible!
<quoted text>
That.... makes....NO SENSE!
<quoted text>
Uhhhh...huh.....let's put urinals in the women's locker room too, and sanitary napkin dispensers in the men's room.
Stupid, damn, you are breathtakingly stupid. We are talking about the law. And AFAIK, there are no laws against putting urinals in women's locker rooms, nor sanitary napkin dispensers in men's rooms.
The Troll Stopper

Brooklyn, NY

#199512 Jul 1, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>Stupid, damn, you are breathtakingly stupid. We are talking about the law. And AFAIK, there are no laws against putting urinals in women's locker rooms, nor sanitary napkin dispensers in men's rooms.
Hey Rose, how's your hammer hanging?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr L Morales 71,257
Kristen Scannell Saratoga Springs NY Adds New H... Dec 23 Kristen Scannell ... 2
Carmel River diverted to allow dam removal, pre... Dec 16 Clint 1
Calif. cop may be fired for giving suicidal stu... Dec 13 John Smith 1
Who do you think is the MOST corrupt Monterey C... Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 5
Help! In need of opiates preferably boi Dec 5 Njp9080 1

Freeze Warning for Monterey County was issued at December 26 at 2:34PM PST

Monterey Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Monterey News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Monterey

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:18 pm PST