Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 20 comments on the www.cnn.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

laughing man

UK

#196563 Jun 18, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too! Jizzy is lots of fun. I love it when he comes around.
He posts "Blow me" vertically like some 4th grade moron. Too funny!
What was it one of them said to you about being attention starved?
Ro in San Pedro CA

Long Beach, CA

#196564 Jun 18, 2013
I think is SUCKS, that what the people want doesnt matter!!!! What ever happen to the VOICE of the people. It was voted on and should stand!!! Shame on you JUDGE
Zoro

Cambridge, IL

#196565 Jun 18, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I am cracking up at his comments, did he say we should not use religion to deny rights to others?
Who funded Prop 8 again?
( chuckle )
Ummm lets see,

Religious organizationsThe Roman Catholic Church,[53] as well as a Roman Catholic lay fraternal organization, the Knights of Columbus,[54] firmly supported the measure. The bishops of the California Catholic Conference released a statement supporting the proposition,[55] a position met with mixed reactions among church members, including clergy.[56][57]


Rally for Yes on Prop 8 in FresnoThe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints[58][59][60](the LDS Church or, informally, the Mormon Church), also publicly supported the proposition. The First Presidency of the church announced its support for Proposition 8 in a letter intended to be read in every congregation in California. In this letter, church members were encouraged to "do all you can to support the proposed constitutional amendment by donating of your means and time."[58] The church produced and broadcast to its congregations a program describing the support of the Proposition, and describing the timeline it proposes for what it describes as grassroots efforts to support the Proposition.[61] Local church leaders set organizational and monetary goals for their membership—sometimes quite specific—to fulfill this call.[62][63] The response of church members to their leadership's appeals to donate money and volunteer time was very supportive,[64] such that Latter-day Saints provided a significant source for financial donations in support of the proposition, both inside and outside the State of California.[65] LDS members contributed over $20 million,[66] about 45% of out-of-state contributions to ProtectMarriage.com came from Utah, over three times more than any other state.[67] ProtectMarriage, the official proponent of Proposition 8, estimates that about half the donations they received came from Mormon sources, and that LDS church members made up somewhere between 80% and 90% of the volunteers for early door-to-door canvassing.[68]

Other religious organizations that supported Proposition 8 include the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America,[69] Eastern Orthodox Church,[70] a group of Evangelical Christians led by Jim Garlow and Miles McPherson,[71] American Family Association, Focus on the Family[72] and the National Organization for Marriage.[73] Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church, also endorsed the measure.[74]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Propo...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#196566 Jun 18, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot to answer your question
Yes, he is
As the faded thread hero to you clowns "Rose_NoHo" would say - Even if that were true, it would be a non-issue.

Even if I was really as Jizzy says "that damn stupid", you'd still be wrong. Cool huh?

We don't base who we give rights to on religion. Please explain that to your mentor Jizzy. He wants to deny all polygamists rights because some of them are of a religion he hates. And you back him up.
Zoro

Cambridge, IL

#196567 Jun 18, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>SSM and polygamy both have nothing to do with religion. You and D are only here to push your atheist religion of nothing. How can SSM be about equal rights but other minority groups are left to fend for themselves?
Who are the people that want polygamy? Please show me, post a link. Evrey time Frankie does, it lists religious sects. They are requesting polygamy based on religious principles.

Frankie said that another 500,000 peole where also requesting polygamy and where not doing it based on religion. He has yet to produce the documentation.

Can you?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#196568 Jun 18, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I am cracking up at his comments, did he say we should not use religion to deny rights to others?
Who funded Prop 8 again?
( chuckle )
I didn't fund prop 8.(chuckle).

I support marriage equality and you and Jizzy do not.(chuckle).

Chuckle chuckle!
Zoro

Cambridge, IL

#196569 Jun 18, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go again basing rights on religion. Two words for you Jiz. First Amendment.
Gawwwd are you thick as a brick. I don't care what your religion is, worship as you see fit or don't, it matters not.

We will not change laws based on religion.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#196570 Jun 18, 2013
Zoro wrote:
<quoted text>Ummm lets see,
Religious organizationsThe Roman Catholic Church,[53] as well as a Roman Catholic lay fraternal organization, the Knights of Columbus,[54] firmly supported the measure. The bishops of the California Catholic Conference released a statement supporting the proposition,[55] a position met with mixed reactions among church members, including clergy.[56][57]
Rally for Yes on Prop 8 in FresnoThe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints[58][59][60](the LDS Church or, informally, the Mormon Church), also publicly supported the proposition. The First Presidency of the church announced its support for Proposition 8 in a letter intended to be read in every congregation in California. In this letter, church members were encouraged to "do all you can to support the proposed constitutional amendment by donating of your means and time."[58] The church produced and broadcast to its congregations a program describing the support of the Proposition, and describing the timeline it proposes for what it describes as grassroots efforts to support the Proposition.[61] Local church leaders set organizational and monetary goals for their membership—sometimes quite specific—to fulfill this call.[62][63] The response of church members to their leadership's appeals to donate money and volunteer time was very supportive,[64] such that Latter-day Saints provided a significant source for financial donations in support of the proposition, both inside and outside the State of California.[65] LDS members contributed over $20 million,[66] about 45% of out-of-state contributions to ProtectMarriage.com came from Utah, over three times more than any other state.[67] ProtectMarriage, the official proponent of Proposition 8, estimates that about half the donations they received came from Mormon sources, and that LDS church members made up somewhere between 80% and 90% of the volunteers for early door-to-door canvassing.[68]
Other religious organizations that supported Proposition 8 include the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America,[69] Eastern Orthodox Church,[70] a group of Evangelical Christians led by Jim Garlow and Miles McPherson,[71] American Family Association, Focus on the Family[72] and the National Organization for Marriage.[73] Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church, also endorsed the measure.[74]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Propo...
So what? How does that justify your attempt to justify the ban on polygamy with religion? You say polygamy shouldn't be allowed because some of it's adherents are religious. Then you attempt to say I am basing my support on religion. I am not. You are the one keeps bringing religion into it.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#196571 Jun 18, 2013
Zoro wrote:
<quoted text>Gawwwd are you thick as a brick. I don't care what your religion is, worship as you see fit or don't, it matters not.
We will not change laws based on religion.
So why do you attempt to justify yourself denying rights based on religion? You wish to deny marriage equality because you don't like the religions that practice poly.

Indeed. Thick as a brick.

If we could possibly get past your obsession with religion, what non religious reasons do you have to deny marriage equality?
Zoro

Cambridge, IL

#196572 Jun 18, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
As the faded thread hero to you clowns "Rose_NoHo" would say - Even if that were true, it would be a non-issue.
Even if I was really as Jizzy says "that damn stupid", you'd still be wrong. Cool huh?
We don't base who we give rights to on religion. Please explain that to your mentor Jizzy. He wants to deny all polygamists rights because some of them are of a religion he hates. And you back him up.
The laws in each 50 states are the same, polygamy is not allowed. Should we change the to suit religion?

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#196573 Jun 18, 2013
Ro in San Pedro CA wrote:
I think is SUCKS, that what the people want doesnt matter!!!! What ever happen to the VOICE of the people. It was voted on and should stand!!! Shame on you JUDGE
The voice of the people is being monitored by the Great Obama.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#196574 Jun 18, 2013
Zoro wrote:
<quoted text>Who are the people that want polygamy? Please show me, post a link. Evrey time Frankie does, it lists religious sects. They are requesting polygamy based on religious principles.
Frankie said that another 500,000 peole where also requesting polygamy and where not doing it based on religion. He has yet to produce the documentation.
Can you?
It's a best educated estimate from the link I posted. No one knows the true number since you go to prison for polygamy and people keep it secret.

But what does it matter? If even one person is being denied rights is that OK? Since when do we deny rights based on number of people being denied them?

Please post a better answer than "blow me".
Mob Watch

UK

#196575 Jun 18, 2013
Ro in San Pedro CA wrote:
I think is SUCKS, that what the people want doesnt matter!!!! What ever happen to the VOICE of the people. It was voted on and should stand!!! Shame on you JUDGE
People overall are breathtakingly stupid, haven't you heard?

Calm down and eat another booger.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#196576 Jun 18, 2013
Zoro wrote:
<quoted text>Who are the people that want polygamy? Please show me, post a link. Evrey time Frankie does, it lists religious sects. They are requesting polygamy based on religious principles.
Frankie said that another 500,000 peole where also requesting polygamy and where not doing it based on religion. He has yet to produce the documentation.
Can you?
I doubt people that want poly will create a link, it would be more of a survey, I doubt they will do any survey's because the SSM movement is just about themselves.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#196577 Jun 18, 2013
Zoro wrote:
<quoted text>The laws in each 50 states are the same, polygamy is not allowed. Should we change the to suit religion?
No. We should change it because we support marriage equality. Not because of religion. So stop trying to use religion to justify denying people's rights.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#196578 Jun 18, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>The voice of the people is being monitored by the Great Obama.
Despite what the polls say Obama is doing a great job! And Moochelle is so smart about telling us to eat lettuce while she munches on french fries! Woops. I didn't post that. Just a joke ha ha Michelle is very nice too. And Obama is quickly fixing the mess the last president made, woops! Obama was the last president! I mean the mess Bush made.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#196579 Jun 18, 2013
Zoro wrote:
<quoted text>Who are the people that want polygamy? Please show me, post a link. Evrey time Frankie does, it lists religious sects. They are requesting polygamy based on religious principles.
Frankie said that another 500,000 peole where also requesting polygamy and where not doing it based on religion. He has yet to produce the documentation.
Can you?
No he cannot, in case you were wondering
laughing man

UK

#196580 Jun 18, 2013
Zoro wrote:
<quoted text>Ummm lets see,
Religious organizationsThe Roman Catholic Church,[53] as well as a Roman Catholic lay fraternal organization, the Knights of Columbus,[54]....
Very GOOD!

(It's best to put your link at the top, to show people up front that what's coming next aren't your words, but you did good).
Spring Thaw

Monrovia, CA

#196581 Jun 18, 2013
May you enjoy "Gorky Park" like he other's had.
Zoro

Cambridge, IL

#196583 Jun 18, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
YUK!YUK!YUK! Jizzy is such a moron! And Big D backs him up!
Back away from the crack pipe, you don't have the brain cells to spare. Time for you to roll on Flunkie, unplug the Hoveround and hit the sidewalk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Looking Back at Monterey County: Fire on Canner... 6 hr Joe 1
News Seaside street name could honor Obama (Feb '10) May 1 Apathy 99
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Apr 19 rabbee yehoshooah... 71,942
where can I find heroin in monterey? (Oct '14) Apr 18 BrocSD 8
News Four suspects still at large in Monterey Penins... Apr 15 M JC 29 1
News Jewish-Christian charity helps Ukrainians move ... Apr '15 Azat 1
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Apr '15 svorpion 1,531
More from around the web

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]