Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,451)

Showing posts 169,001 - 169,020 of200,204
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Because this is the land of the free, and we will see equality and justice from one end of it to the other.
200 major businesses have petitioned the supreme court calling the overturn of Prop 8 a business imperative, they are having difficulty moving the best employees from state to state deepening on the laws in that state with respect to their employees marriages and benefits.
This will happen, you can sit back and enjoy the ride.
It will take some time, but it will happen.
Oh by gosh by golly, freedom for all, including polygamists. That too will happen sit back and enjoy the ride.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh by gosh by golly, freedom for all, including polygamists. That too will happen sit back and enjoy the ride.
I will vote in favor of it when it comes up, think of it as a jobs program, can you imagine a divorce of one person out of the marriage?

Full employment for our Lawyers!

Seriously though, I donít see a reason not to vote in favor of it.

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

We'll know what SCOTUS decides, (if they decide to decide), in less than 30 days.
Strats

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Wednesday May 29, 2013 Leave it to New York to mess things up, again.

Part-time workers at the city's Parks Department stripped and pole-danced at agency holiday parties in exchange for permanent jobs.

Several female staffers allege routine sexual harassment by their supervisors, according to complaints and texts under review by city investigators.

Like that's going to make a difference, the investigators were probably in on it from the beginning.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Europa Report wrote:
We'll know what SCOTUS decides,(if they decide to decide), in less than 30 days.
The SCOUTS decision while interesting, I doubt will be earth shattering. And in the long run, will not affect to momentum.

Section 3 of DOMA is dead meat, I donít think anyone with any intellectual capacity at all will refute that. Even the conservative justices where asking some pretty negative questions about the validity of section 3

As for the rest

DOMA section 2 will likely stand, meaning states will not be forced to recognize marriages preformed in other states. But section 3 going down will mean federal recognition of same sex marriages, that in itself is a huge victory.

More likely however is for the SCOTS to just toss Prop 8 back to the state, Dismissed as improvidently granted is the term I think. Ruling that the supporters of Prop 8 have no standing as they are NOT the government and can show no harm whatsoever from the overturn of Prop 8 ( always a critical flaw in their case )

If it gets tossed back to the state, the state judicial system has already overturned Prop 8 in court and appellate court, the stay will be lifted and same sex marriages will once again occur in California.

Even the worst case scenario, they uphold Prop 8, it will fall in the next election cycle anyway.

The SCOTUS ruling is interesting, and may be a faster track, but no matter which way they rule, the momentum will continue to recognize same sex marriages.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah, they say they hate big government, but support a government that steps into your private life, trying to tell my daughters that the government gets to control their bodies, their own reproductive systems. Or one that tells you who you can marry and who you cant.
They call themselves conservatives, but I have never figured out exactly what it is they conserve, it isnít the environment, certainly not our nations finances, certainly not our nations values of freedom, justice and equality.
They conserve (or preserve) the status quo.

The are afraid...of just about everything - new, different, etc.

The label of "conservative" is a misnomer.

I believe it has a lot to do with personality type. Some people are just followers, and are afraid unless they have a majority or mob to back them up. Those are "conservatives." Other people live life, aren't afraid to be the only one in the room who is doing/saying/thinking/wearing something, and aren't afraid of change. Those are "normal." LOL

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you have a fairly accurate view of society. What you are missing is the importance of each point. Children are the future of our culture. We are severely undermining their potential by these acts. There is no better place most often to raise children than in an intact family.
No, we undermine childrens' potential by teaching them bigotry.

While it may (or may not) be the "ideal" for a child to be raised in an intact (mom/dad) family, we do not prohibit other families from existing, and many, MANY children from single parent households and gay parent households will outperform and be better adjusted than many children from more traditional households, and especially more than the effed up step-family situations.
Adam Mosh

Sunnyvale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a twit.
It's not about "the news" and there is no economic scenario that will affect my life more than simple legal recognition of my already existing marriage.
OK. People are just more dumb than I imagined.

I mean, really, you think whether the government recognizes gay marriage or not effects your life more directly than say, the fact that the government takes in a tax revenue of 16 dollars for every $100 it owes and borrows 40 dollars for every 100 it spends.

It doesn't seem like there's any point in reasoning with you. That ability to seems to be broken.

I've seen 2 nations go bankrupt in my lifetime through direct experience. The USSR and Argentina. I guess we'll just have to suffer through it too.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
They conserve (or preserve) the status quo.
The are afraid...of just about everything - new, different, etc.
The label of "conservative" is a misnomer.
I believe it has a lot to do with personality type. Some people are just followers, and are afraid unless they have a majority or mob to back them up. Those are "conservatives." Other people live life, aren't afraid to be the only one in the room who is doing/saying/thinking/wearing something, and aren't afraid of change. Those are "normal." LOL
I love to remind them of our nationís founding, by extreme, even radical liberals of their day

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Duplicate husbands? An oxymoron.
Kids don't have two dads. Never. One may be the dad, but the other is always a default.
You aren't asking me to raise my standards, you are asking me to be stupid.
No, you already are stupid, and you clearly don't understand the proper use of the word 'oxymoron.'

Kids don't have two biological dads. But some kids are raised by two dads, and many kids have a dad and a stepdad (and call them both "dad" or again, two different names meaning dad.)

This isn't hard for the kids to understand, yet you seem to have a big hangup about it.

Whether you choose to acknowledge the reality in front of your face or to continue to delude yourself, the fact is gay couples do and will always raise children, and they have just as good a shot at raising great ones.

So, once again, my husband and I are each husbands. Deal with it.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I will vote in favor of it when it comes up, think of it as a jobs program, can you imagine a divorce of one person out of the marriage?
Full employment for our Lawyers!
Seriously though, I donít see a reason not to vote in favor of it.
Of course you should (but won't) thank Frankie for your new tolerance and acceptance. It wasn't long ago you referred to polygamists as "welfare cheats and child rapists using polygamy to commit their crimes." You've come a long way baby!
laughing man

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I love to remind them of our nationís founding, by extreme, even radical liberals of their day
Tell us, Caligula, what they might think of your bread and circus "pride" parade or Folsom Street or bug chasers.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Adam Mosh wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. People are just more dumb than I imagined.
I mean, really, you think whether the government recognizes gay marriage or not effects your life more directly than say, the fact that the government takes in a tax revenue of 16 dollars for every $100 it owes and borrows 40 dollars for every 100 it spends.
It doesn't seem like there's any point in reasoning with you. That ability to seems to be broken.
I've seen 2 nations go bankrupt in my lifetime through direct experience. The USSR and Argentina. I guess we'll just have to suffer through it too.
Yes. Gay marriage kinda loses its importance when you're starving or dead.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
No, we undermine childrens' potential by teaching them bigotry..
That is why we no longer allow any religion in the classroom.
Children are resilient, and even children of ignorant parents ( all prejudice is ignorance by definition ) will come to a time where they realize their parents are wrong.
But we will not teach bigotry from a position of governmental authority like a teacher.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you already are stupid, and you clearly don't understand the proper use of the word 'oxymoron.'
Kids don't have two biological dads. But some kids are raised by two dads, and many kids have a dad and a stepdad (and call them both "dad" or again, two different names meaning dad.)
This isn't hard for the kids to understand, yet you seem to have a big hangup about it.
Whether you choose to acknowledge the reality in front of your face or to continue to delude yourself, the fact is gay couples do and will always raise children, and they have just as good a shot at raising great ones.
So, once again, my husband and I are each husbands. Deal with it.
You should take your own advice for it is good advice- Deal with it.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you have a fairly accurate view of society. What you are missing is the importance of each point. Children are the future of our culture. We are severely undermining their potential by these acts. There is no better place most often to raise children than in an intact family.
When gay marriage is legal in the U.S., there will still be intact families to raise children.

And, since 1993, gay people have been able to adopt children in the U.S. That was before gay marriage was legal anywhere in the country. So regardless of what happens to gay marriage, gay people will continue to be able to adopt children in this country.

Put a period at the end of this chapter and move on...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Marriage. There is no one right way.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Duplicate husbands? An oxymoron.
Kids don't have two dads. Never. One may be the dad, but the other is always a default.
You aren't asking me to raise my standards, you are asking me to be stupid.
Gurrrlll... Nobody has ever HAD to ASK you to be STUPID! You've been stuck on it for years!

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Bruno wrote:
If SSM is so important, then why don't gays go to the states that have fallen under presure and get married. Just get is done and quit crying about it.
We did. Many of us do. However, just like anyone else, we want to live in particular states for particular reasons - either we grew up there, we have family there, or we prefer the climate there or were offered a job there.

I grew up in NJ. I moved to FL when I was 26 because I didn't like winter and had some cousins who lived here.

Eventually I met my husband here. We got married in NJ because I have some family members who don't fly (never been on an airplane in their lives.) NJ considered it a "civil union" at the time, even though we got married. But the only other state at that time that recognized gay marriage was Massachusetts.

Why would we want to move to Massachusetts? We had no friends, family, or job there - and it's cold. So while we may gain legal recognition of our marriage (only at the state level) we would lose a whole lot.

The following summer, when gay marriages were being legally recognized in California (and they didn't have a residency requirement as Massachusetts did at the time) we flew out there and got married. Don't think it didn't cross my mind to move there. As much as I am "east coast" and noticed the difference between the coasts when I spent considerable time in California in prior years - at least it was warm. But my husband did not want to leave Florida because his Dad is still here, and he did not want to leave his Dad.

Ultimately, down the road, when his Dad is no longer with us, might we move to California? It's a consideration, but now we own a home here and have put a lot of work into it. I also own a business here that may not be so easy to relocate. And who wants to go to all that trouble? We're very happy here, and have no desire to leave, all things being equal.

But they're not equal. And he has had type I diabetes since he was 10 years old. We know there will be complications. So if it becomes burdensome to live in a state that doesn't recognize our marriage, we may have to move at some point, even though we don't particularly care to.

A better idea is to work to change the laws in our state and at the Federal level. And we are just itching to sue the state of Florida to recognize our California marriage - especially depending on how the SCOTUS rules at the end of June.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, those radical liberals who considered homosexuality a capital crime punishable by death. That certainly is extreme.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 169,001 - 169,020 of200,204
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Monterey Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••