Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,446)

Showing posts 168,901 - 168,920 of200,213
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
laughing man

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of like spitting into the wind, isn't it?
Actually, it's more like you don't know when to shut up and stop the bleeding.

Trust us, sugah, we are not impressed by your "decadence to the death" routine.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you hear the one about the gay cowboy?
No...

Do you know how many gay men it takes to screw in a light bulb?

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
It takes two. One to call the electrician the other to mix the cocktails.
No... It takes 9 gay men to change a light bulb. One to change the bulb and 8 to yell "FABULOUS!!!" when it's done.
janey

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
It doesn't seem to want me to respond to VV
I heard about your sex-change operation. Good lord! You sure are one ugly looking woman.
You ought to sue for some of your money back!!
Frankie Rizzo

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
No... It takes 9 gay men to change a light bulb. One to change the bulb and 8 to yell "FABULOUS!!!" when it's done.
Its good to see a skirt wearing queer bend over and just take it. I however thought you had a bit more backbone and pluck in you.
Too much estrogen??

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I see how it is. You use the word "fear" to describe our feelings, and then, denounce the same word, when used in conjunction with your own stance. Got it. I believe that I've already pointed out the double standard, but you do not recognize it, because you think that it's YOUR game, and we are somehow different. We've ALWAYS had the rights that you seek, but, since time began, your way of doing things has encountered resistance. Except, of course, for a few old timey cultures that no longer, technically, exist. Up until now, your desires have been loosely tolerated, but not approved of. NOW, you have infiltrated, usurped and bribed all of the properly placed people to garner the decision. And you get uptight with us traditionalists that want to preserve some of the ways that have lasted us this long, and resulted in our presence here, today. We, that it to say, I and others that think the same way that I do, do nor believe in the "mix-n-match" policy for marriage that you do. And you trivialize our feelings, while demanding that we respect your, as if they are somehow morally superior to ours. No, sir, I am not "fu**ing" (have to edit, you have privileges that I do not) with you, I am making my case the same way that you are. AND, I am not coming unglued at some words that have been used on the internet, as you did, although, you make it sound so nice and respectable, and logical. Passionate? You have shown yourself, repeatedly, to be sensitive, angry and the way that you justify "getting in peoples faces" makes me think that you might have a history of violence. Our rights have been accorded for our relationships that are in accordance with nature, not because we wanted to shack up with "Bucky" or "Victor". Marriage is a serious business, sir, not something to use for personal gain. Your relationships provide for no offspring, and are, therefore, sterile by nature. For this, you wish to receive the same benefits as a struggling couple, and are willing to disparage those same couples in order to make them seem frivolous. "Heterosexual marriage are shot all to hell", or some such thing that you said, using statistics of failed marriages to validate your claims.
To be continued...
Yes, it is MY game. It is the game of millions of gay and lesbian tax-paying, law-abiding citizens.

You think we've used the system to our advantage? Maybe... We've just taken a page out of the extremely thick notebook on how to defeat prejudice and discrimination.

I love how you call "marriage" a "serious business". That's about right... It's a business. It represents about $40,000,000,000 worth in business each year. That's only slightly more that you guys spend on divorces each year--$33,300,000,000

You guys have turned marriage into a three-ring circus. And you have the gall to think that we'll screw it up? Please!

And with regards to your "in accordance with nature" crap; where have you been? Have you not seen the volumes of data that clearly show SSSB throughout the animal kingdom?

You don't "own" the right to marriage. You want to, but you don't.

State after state and country after country have passed laws legalizing same-sex marriage.

Get ready for it to happen here.

It may not be this year. It may not be next year. But it will come.

And you "traditionalists" will find yourself in the waste bins of society, along with all of the other traditionalists. Remember the segregationists? Remember the Nazis? They fought on behalf of traditionalism too. Where are they now?

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
How many gay rights activists does it take to change a light bulb?
All of them, but when they're done you'll be enlightened.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Its good to see a skirt wearing queer bend over and just take it. I however thought you had a bit more backbone and pluck in you.
Too much estrogen??
See, that's what I keep telling people... Some of you "haters" are in actuality very closeted, self-loathing gays. I mean, who else would enjoy seeing " a skirt wearing queer bend over and just take it"?
YeGotts

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Ye got to admit it, they really know how to kill there own kind.

More than 70 people were killed in a wave of bombings in markets in Shi'ite neighborhoods across Baghdad on Monday in worsening sectarian violence in Iraq.

Religion or no religion connection- what a great way to follow a religion.
lemmiwinks

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard it takes just one gay man to put it in but a whole emergency room team to get it out!
True!
Meg

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
The only reason men in my family never went to jail is because they were all cops! NYPD. 5 uncles. They'd take me to all the good bars when I was about 15. Whores for my birthdays! Woo-Hooo! Speeding 90 MPH the wrong way on a one way lights and sirens blaring to get to the next bar. That's how it was in those days. No mad mothers etc. Drinking age in NY was 18, but a mature looking 15 year old could drink in most any bar.
I guess having 5 uncles with disgraced records ( thats why they all worked the polce impound/tow beat ) take you to gay bars for pink fun is something to brag about...
NOT!!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
The 14th Amendment was created to address issues related to slavery--primarily making them citizens, NOT racial issues.
What history book are you reading?

I suggest you take a moment and educate yourself by reading the Congressional Debates over the drafting of the 14th Amendment before you go spouting off this uneducated nonsense.

Damn you are ignorant.
YeGotts

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Police in Dearborn are puzzled why a pressure cooker was left in the restroom of the Adoba Hotel, forcing the evacuation of Muslim guests until the early morning hours.

Gee what does that mean?

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you take a moment and educate yourself by reading the Congressional Debates over the drafting of the 14th Amendment before you go spouting off this uneducated nonsense.
Damn you are ignorant.
Oh please, Mr. Mason (or should I just call you Perry?)

I await your brilliant enlightenment.
Meg

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, shyte like that's always worth bragging about. My grandfather was Chief of Police in Cairo, Egypt, during WWII, and the stories my father had, of stuff he got away with......Stuff of life, is being privileged.. Taking out bridges at 9 yrs old, shooting the governors pigeons, oh, the tales...
Sorry to hear about your thumb, Rock. Take care.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn you are ignorant.
(From Wikipedia, a reliable source)

The Reconstruction amendments are the Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth amendments to the United States Constitution, adopted between 1865 and 1870, the five years immediately following the Civil War.

The Amendments were important elements in implementing the Reconstruction of the American South after the war. Their proponents saw them as transforming the United States from a country that was (in Abraham Lincoln's words) "half slave and half free" to one in which the constitutionally guaranteed "blessings of liberty" would be extended to the entire male populace, including the former slaves and their descendants.

The Thirteenth Amendment (both proposed and ratified in 1865) abolished slavery. The Fourteenth Amendment (proposed in 1866 and ratified in 1868) included the Privileges or Immunities Clause, Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses. The Fifteenth Amendment,(proposed in 1869 and ratified in 1870 under the presidency of Ulysses S. Grant) grants voting rights regardless of "race, color, or previous condition of servitude." This amendment did not include women. It took another amendment—the Nineteenth, ratified in 1920— to grant women the right to vote.

THESE AMENDMENTS WERE INTENDED TO GUARANTEE FREEDOM AND CIVIL RIGHTS TO AFRICAN AMERICANS. The promise of these amendments was eroded by state laws and federal court decisions. The states passed Jim Crow laws that limited the rights of African-Americans. Important Supreme Court decisions that undermined these amendments were the Slaughter-House Cases(1873), which prevented rights guaranteed under the Fourteenth Amendment's privileges or immunities clause being extended to rights under state law; and Plessy v. Ferguson (1896), which gave federal approval to Jim Crow laws. The full benefits of the Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth amendments were not realized until Supreme Court decisions like Brown v. Board of Education(1954) and laws such as the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

----------

Another interesting tidbit... "The 14th Amendment is cited in more court cases than any other, often in matters seeking to end discrimination against individuals based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, and other statuses. Its long history of litigation traces the struggle for civil and legal rights for all Americans." (From NOLO.com )

----------

Now I'm no constitutional scholar, but it seems to me that what these two pieces are saying is that the 13, 14, and 15th amendments were initially intended for newly freed slaves, but it has been used multiple times throughout its history by various groups.
C files

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

More (secret c-files) Catholic Church "sex Abuse Files" are being opened up this year 2013.

C-Files as they are known.
Buno

Wilmington, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I see how it is. You use the word "fear" to describe our feelings, and then, denounce the same word, when used in conjunction with your own stance. Got it. I believe that I've already pointed out the double standard, but you do not recognize it, because you think that it's YOUR game, and we are somehow different. We've ALWAYS had the rights that you seek, but, since time began, your way of doing things has encountered resistance. Except, of course, for a few old timey cultures that no longer, technically, exist. Up until now, your desires have been loosely tolerated, but not approved of. NOW, you have infiltrated, usurped and bribed all of the properly placed people to garner the decision. And you get uptight with us traditionalists that want to preserve some of the ways that have lasted us this long, and resulted in our presence here, today. We, that it to say, I and others that think the same way that I do, do nor believe in the "mix-n-match" policy for marriage that you do. And you trivialize our feelings, while demanding that we respect your, as if they are somehow morally superior to ours. No, sir, I am not "fu**ing" (have to edit, you have privileges that I do not) with you, I am making my case the same way that you are. AND, I am not coming unglued at some words that have been used on the internet, as you did, although, you make it sound so nice and respectable, and logical. Passionate? You have shown yourself, repeatedly, to be sensitive, angry and the way that you justify "getting in peoples faces" makes me think that you might have a history of violence. Our rights have been accorded for our relationships that are in accordance with nature, not because we wanted to shack up with "Bucky" or "Victor". Marriage is a serious business, sir, not something to use for personal gain. Your relationships provide for no offspring, and are, therefore, sterile by nature. For this, you wish to receive the same benefits as a struggling couple, and are willing to disparage those same couples in order to make them seem frivolous. "Heterosexual marriage are shot all to hell", or some such thing that you said, using statistics of failed marriages to validate your claims.
To be continued...
Gee you are really into this shit hugh. You are boring
Bruno

Wilmington, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

Good morning everyone

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
The issue here is this: how does a self-consciously modern, liberal society continue to criminalize polygamy, a form of marriage that has existed throughout the world for millennia, when it has at the same time legalized a completely new form of marriage between same-sex couples?
Spot on old chap. Jolly good point.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 168,901 - 168,920 of200,213
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••