Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,441)

Showing posts 168,801 - 168,820 of200,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Polygamists were held in check by the same standard as everyone else, one man and one woman as husband and wife. Now that that standard is no more in a few states, they have an in.
The standard of marriage being comprised of TWO PEOPLE is supported by Same-sex marriage advocates.

At no point in any court argument made by proponents of same-sex marriage have we asked for marriage to include more than two people. We've not asked that marriage be allowed between adults and minors, humans and animals, humans and inanimate objects, etc.

One man, one woman; one man, one man; one woman, one woman... That's what we are supporting.

It is deceitful for you to imply that same-sex marriage proponents are in favor polygamy.
Orem

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Naaah. She annoys me. She's a stubborn blockhead.
NOrcal NatiVE is a dumb Dyke for defending a sexual predator.

Whoop Whoop
Orem

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

The Worlds Biggest Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I've heard gays railing against what you call serial monogamy and children 'they can't afford' and yet now I'm gonna listen to the excuses and rationalizations of one man, many wives, and many more children. If you people were pinnochio we'd have enough wood to keep every home warm in the winter throughout the world. One big lie after the other.
"Boom" "Boom" "Boom" "Boom"
Say hello to "Big Sis" your momma, and those destroying another nation and using us for their God extortion to upend the entire Middle East.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Whoop Whoop!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
OK... Looks like we're getting somewhere...
If you don't believe that homosexuality is a sin or sign of brokenness, then I guess we can count on your support of same-sex marriage.
Thanks in advance...
If you weren't such a stubborn and angry jackass you'd know that AK has supported SSM. As do I. But your knee jerks...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
The standard of marriage being comprised of TWO PEOPLE is supported by Same-sex marriage advocates.
At no point in any court argument made by proponents of same-sex marriage have we asked for marriage to include more than two people. We've not asked that marriage be allowed between adults and minors, humans and animals, humans and inanimate objects, etc.
One man, one woman; one man, one man; one woman, one woman... That's what we are supporting.
It is deceitful for you to imply that same-sex marriage proponents are in favor polygamy.
No one said you asked for polygamy. It is very obvious you did not. You are a hypocrite.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, you brought up the slut and the two "gay" guys who took turns banging her, I didn't, reverend jackass.
Your attempts at drawing people to Jesus are failing.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>It is deceitful for you to imply that same-sex marriage proponents are in favor of polygamy.
All they have is their deceptive, deceitful and dishonest assertions to fight back against what is right for humanity and America.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Your attempts at drawing people to Jesus are failing.
I have made no attempts at drawing people to Jesus. You are very stupid.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
All they have is their deceptive, deceitful and dishonest assertions to fight back against what is right for humanity and America.
I take it you are a hypocrite too.

Poly MARRIAGE deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex MARRIAGE. You know dummy, marriage EQUALITY. Or maybe you don't know, being you are so angry and stupid and all.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that really different from what I wrote:

"That goal is the elimination of monogamous conjugal, as in husband and wife, sole legal definition and/or standard { of marriage} in this country."
At no point in any court argument made by proponents of same-sex marriage have we asked for marriage to include more than two people.
Ohhhhhkay.
We've not asked that marriage be allowed between adults and minors, humans and animals, humans and inanimate objects, etc.
No one is seriously proposing marriage involving minors, or animals. So let's dispense with that.
Again, the elimination of the sole legal definition/standard of marriage as a monogamous union of husband AND wife. The essence of what I stated the goal of the movement is.
No deceit.... I stated the obvious, elimination of the sole legal definition/standard of marriage as a monogamous union of husband and wife.

Once that is done, why does it matter who marries who, or doesn't marry who, as long as its between consenting adults?
Gongers

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Another crooked COP. oops I mean more crooked cops.

Bong the Gong and get this mess over with.

A South Lake Tahoe police officer pleaded guilty May 22, 2013 Wednesday to multiple counts of witness tampering and obstruction of an official proceeding.

A three-year, multi-agency investigation involving the FBI led to 44-year-old John Gerald Polandís arrest in January 2013 on five counts of witness tampering.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/56282277-2...

Those who would argue against plural marriage have their work cut out for them. The Bible records at least 40 instances of the practice. Confucianism, Islam, Hinduism, and some forms of Mormonism also support it. While Catholicism bans it, other forms of Christianity are somewhat less opposed.

Plural marriage is legal in more than 150 countries, with an estimated 2 billion practitioners and 3 billion supporters. Anthropologists believe that it was the norm through most of human history, until the sixth century Christian influence of the Roman Emperor Justinian. As a North American value, plural marriage is older than monogamy. According to one study of Native American tribes, a full 84 percent of them practiced it.

Natural law arguments also fail. Biologists lately have discovered that in the animal kingdom, there is almost no such thing as monogamy.

In 1878, the Supreme Court in Reynolds v. U.S. called plural marriage "odious," and an "offence against society." In Romer v. Evans (1996), and again in Lawrence v. Texas (2003), Justice Antonin Scalia's dissent warned against legalizing same-sex marriage, noting that once the court struck down a legislature's ability to uphold "morals-based legislation," the ban against plural marriage would be the next thing to go.

Since then, TV shows such as TLC's "Sister Wives," HBO's "Big Love" and Showtime's "Polyamory" have done much to sway public opinion in favor of poly-ness, bringing the concept into the nation's collective living room and consciousness.
Bud Longneck

Cambridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it you are a hypocrite too.
Poly MARRIAGE deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex MARRIAGE. You know dummy, marriage EQUALITY. Or maybe you don't know, being you are so angry and stupid and all.
Why do you wish to have more than one wife? Do you have one now? I have noticed that you call people stupid all the time. Why do you do that? Is it because they don't agree with you? If thats the reason, may be its your ideas. Think about it for a while.
Bud Longneck

Cambridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
"That goal is the elimination of monogamous conjugal, as in husband and wife, sole legal definition and/or standard { of marriage} in this country."
<quoted text>
Ohhhhhkay.
<quoted text>
No one is seriously proposing marriage involving minors, or animals. So let's dispense with that.
<quoted text>
Again, the elimination of the sole legal definition/standard of marriage as a monogamous union of husband AND wife. The essence of what I stated the goal of the movement is.
<quoted text>
No deceit.... I stated the obvious, elimination of the sole legal definition/standard of marriage as a monogamous union of husband and wife.
Once that is done, why does it matter who marries who, or doesn't marry who, as long as its between consenting adults?
Why don't you like gay people? Has something happened to you? Are you a Catholic? Was it a Preist. I hope you know that a Pedophile is not gay. Ask Jesus for help.
Mrs Longnech

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Bud Longneck wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't you like gay people? Has something happened to you? Are you a Catholic? Was it a Preist. I hope you know that a Pedophile is not gay. Ask Jesus for help.
You stop that right now young man! That's not nice. Just because he supports a man and a woman only, for marriage, doesn't mean he hates anybody.And stop misspelling the family name for some twisted game you seem to be engaged in.
Orem

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I have made no attempts at drawing people to Jesus. You are very stupid.
Whoop Whoop
Gongers

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Another crooked COP. oops I mean more crooked cops.

Bong the Gong and get this mess over with.

A South Lake Tahoe, California police officer pleaded guilty May 22, 2013 Wednesday to multiple counts of witness tampering and obstruction of an official proceeding.

A three-year, multi-agency investigation involving the FBI led to 44-year-old John Gerald Polandís arrest in January 2013 on five counts of witness tampering.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Ohhhhhkay.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I think you're a bit confused with the wording you are using.

You said, "No deceit.... I stated the obvious, elimination of the sole legal definition/standard of marriage as a monogamous union of husband and wife."

You do realize that monogamy does not include polygamy don't you? And no one is trying to eliminate marriage as a union between husband and wife.

We are asking for the same rights and protections of opposite-sex married partners. So, that would remove your emphasis on the words "sole legal definition".

For the life of me I cannot understand what you fear will happen if same-sex partners are allowed to marry.

Men and women will still be able to marry. Children will continue to be born. Polygamy will not suddenly rush to the forefront. Life will go on.

You guys have never said what it is that you are afraid will happen.

It's almost as though you want to childishly keep marriage a male-female union out of pettiness. You want it to be an exclusive club.

You don't care that allowing same-gender partners to marry will significantly improve the lives of hundreds of thousands of gay and lesbian, tax-paying, law-abiding, citizens of this country.

Shallow... Very shallow...

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mob ile3/56282277-219/marriage-plu ral-polygamy-court.html.csp
Those who would argue against plural marriage have their work cut out for them. The Bible records at least 40 instances of the practice. Confucianism, Islam, Hinduism, and some forms of Mormonism also support it. While Catholicism bans it, other forms of Christianity are somewhat less opposed.
Plural marriage is legal in more than 150 countries, with an estimated 2 billion practitioners and 3 billion supporters. Anthropologists believe that it was the norm through most of human history, until the sixth century Christian influence of the Roman Emperor Justinian. As a North American value, plural marriage is older than monogamy. According to one study of Native American tribes, a full 84 percent of them practiced it.
Natural law arguments also fail. Biologists lately have discovered that in the animal kingdom, there is almost no such thing as monogamy.
In 1878, the Supreme Court in Reynolds v. U.S. called plural marriage "odious," and an "offence against society." In Romer v. Evans (1996), and again in Lawrence v. Texas (2003), Justice Antonin Scalia's dissent warned against legalizing same-sex marriage, noting that once the court struck down a legislature's ability to uphold "morals-based legislation," the ban against plural marriage would be the next thing to go.
Since then, TV shows such as TLC's "Sister Wives," HBO's "Big Love" and Showtime's "Polyamory" have done much to sway public opinion in favor of poly-ness, bringing the concept into the nation's collective living room and consciousness.
OK, so you dislike polygamy. You don't want groups of people marrying one another.

But stop blaming the LGBT community for what "might" happen.

Did we reject civil rights because of what "might" happen? No, we passed civil rights measures because it was the right thing to do. Has it been easy? No! Have there been problems with civil rights? Yes! But you DO NOT deny people human rights simply because you are afraid of what MIGHT happen or that there MIGHT be difficulties in the transition.
Blasters

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2013

Judged:

Time to blast them all, Bob Dole Blasts Fellow Republicans.

Is it true that they have lost their way?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 168,801 - 168,820 of200,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Monterey Discussions

Search the Monterey Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 68,177
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 9 hr PMS will get yeah 7,821
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 14 hr all doned in 4,864
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Sat The right is wrong 2,225
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Jul 11 This topics peaked 15,911
Ask Dr. Gott: Shingles pain difficult to contro... (May '09) Jun 27 William 4
Marina man twice convicted in 2014Marina man tw... Jun 26 AZ AMIGA 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search