Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
168,321 - 168,340 of 200,602 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

KeS wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't Blue eyes outnumber Brown eyes?
Let's not forget Old Blue Eyes.....The Voice....The Chairman of the Board....the greatest entertainer of the 20th century.
KeS

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that is why the wrong of Prop 8 wil be righted.
Prop *8* is not wrong.
KeS

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong there are 18,000 legally married and legally recognized same sex marriages in California today.
They did not revoke any marriages, that would have been a legal nightmare.
Big D*>**.,

All same sex unions are hereby revoked in California. Prop.*8* rules.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

KeS wrote:
<quoted text>
Big D*>**.,
All same sex unions are hereby revoked in California. Prop.*8* rules.
You may think your opinion is law, it is not.

California currently recognizes 18,000 same sex couples, if you didnít know that before... go look it up, it does.

No marriages were revoked, they just stopped issuing new licenses

They specifically did not revoke old licenses

I am not giving you an opinion; I am telling you a fact

Whether you are ignorant of the fact or not, does not change the fact
KeS

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong there are 18,000 legally married and legally recognized same sex marriages in California today.
They did not revoke any marriages, that would have been a legal nightmare.
Big D*..*,

I won in the majority of Blue eyes, now Prop.*8* rules and the former things that have now passed away are made anew with the revocation of all prior okie dokies.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

KeS wrote:
<quoted text>
Big D*..*,
I won in the majority of Blue eyes, now Prop.*8* rules and the former things that have now passed away are made anew with the revocation of all prior okie dokies.
Everyone understands now that you are unaware of the fact

You donít have to keep repeating it, this isnít an argument.

They are recognized by the state, that is not a question. You are unaware they are recognized, we got that.
KeS

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You may think your opinion is law, it is not.
California currently recognizes 18,000 same sex couples, if you didnít know that before... go look it up, it does.
No marriages were revoked, they just stopped issuing new licenses
They specifically did not revoke old licenses
I am not giving you an opinion; I am telling you a fact
Whether you are ignorant of the fact or not, does not change the fact
Big D*..*.,

My "Law" is not an opinion, please do not refer to it as that. Nor are my "Powers of Attorney".
Buddy L

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Dick Chaney is an completeidiot and he can't shoot straight either.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Proposition 22 was a law enacted by California voters in March 2000 to restrict marriages to only those between opposite-sex couples. In May 2008, it was struck down by the California Supreme Court as contrary to the state constitution.
The Act was proposed by means of the initiative process. It was authored by the state senator William "Pete" Knight and is known informally as the Knight initiative. Voters adopted the measure on March 7, 2000 with 61% in favor to 39% against.[1] This large margin of victory surprised many, since a Field Poll immediately prior to the election estimated support at only 53%, with 40% against and 7% undecided.[2]
The Act added Section 308.5 of the Family Code, which read "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California". Because the Act was an ordinary statute, it could be struck down if it were inconsistent with the state constitution. This occurred on May 15, 2008 when the state supreme court, ruling on In re Marriage Cases, declared that same-sex couples had a constitutional right to marry.[3] This 4Ė3 decision invalidated Proposition 22 and some related California laws.
Despite the brevity of Proposition 22 (it added only fourteen words to the Family Code) its effect provoked debate long after its passage. In November 2008 California voters overturned the In re Marriage Cases decision by approving an amendment of the state constitution called Proposition 8.
KeS

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Buddy L wrote:
Dick Chaney is an completeidiot and he can't shoot straight either.
You spelled his name wrong Mr. Competent.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

fr KeS:

...My "Law" is not an opinion, please do not refer to it as that. Nor are my "Powers of Attorney".<

Your "law" is just an opinion, plain and simple. Prop H8 was overturned, and you KNOW it.

Quit whining, and move to a different place if you disagree with Marriage Equality. I hear Iran, Saudi Arabia, or certain Southern states would LOVE to have you as a citizen.

Oh, and just an fyi: my WIFE (we are a happily-married lesbian FAMILY) and I will celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary next month. Sorry, you're NOT invited to the celebration.
Mike the Pike

Glenn, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Y'all still pining away for buttpirates rights? what a waste of time and energy. When the muslims take over, gay marriage will end up where it rightfully belongs, in the septic tank of historically stupid ideas! Even the animals know better!
KeS

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Pattysboi wrote:
fr KeS:
...My "Law" is not an opinion, please do not refer to it as that. Nor are my "Powers of Attorney".<
Your "law" is just an opinion, plain and simple. Prop H8 was overturned, and you KNOW it.
Quit whining, and move to a different place if you disagree with Marriage Equality. I hear Iran, Saudi Arabia, or certain Southern states would LOVE to have you as a citizen.
Oh, and just an fyi: my WIFE (we are a happily-married lesbian FAMILY) and I will celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary next month. Sorry, you're NOT invited to the celebration.
Not to worry I won't flash your party. Accept that your engagement is sick. Ask Sodom And Gomorrah. Oh, that's right, God destroyed them.
KeS

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Pattysboi wrote:
fr KeS:
My disagreement is with the overturning of the Ban against SSM"s.
KeS

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone understands now that you are unaware of the fact
You donít have to keep repeating it, this isnít an argument.
They are recognized by the state, that is not a question. You are unaware they are recognized, we got that.
Big D*..*,
No, You may not argue with me.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
:O)!
Could it get any better?
Yes, also a hermaphrodite with a non-functioning vagina, but I make up for it with three nipples.

SMile.
Mike the Pike

Glenn, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

The people spoke loud and clear with their votes but A judge said "NO" ! We will allow .0001% of the population to override the desires of the rest of the state. What is wrong with this picture?

Even the animals know better!
Shooters

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

The president of a New York police union defended an officer who accidentally (murdered) killed a Hofstra University student during a standoff with an armed intruder.
Slogan Watch

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Pattysboi wrote:
Sorry, you're NOT invited to the celebration.
It's not discrimination when WE do it!!!!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Shooters wrote:
The president of a New York police union defended an officer who accidentally (murdered) killed a Hofstra University student during a standoff with an armed intruder.
Stupid trigger happy coward cop.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Monterey News, Events & Info