Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,179

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#190699 May 1, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
And the name is what they fear... they are frightened half to death.. by a word.
The name does not belong to them, any religions and non-religious use the same word, that word is not their personal property, and from a recognition perspective, it is a legal term.
Yes a legal term which as a specific meaning, at least in 32 states, of marriage as a union of husband and wife. Why is that so troubling, or difficult to comprehend?
Our laws are applied equally ( or are supposed to be ) regardless of Race, Creed, Color, Sex, Religion, Orientation or National Origin.
Great, mandate health insurance companies pay for prostate exams for women. The law should be applied equally. Also require, by law, every women's rest room/locker room have the same number of urinals as every men's room/locker room. Equal is equal.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#190700 May 1, 2013
Stocking wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't use the word Monster, why monster? are we living in an anime. Mutation?, may be, but really I think diversity, genetic rarity. Monster has obvious negative implications and mutation, well were you born with regular DNA then something happened to change it. You've said chimera, I'm thinking this is what I call mosaic: a variable mix of XX and XY in any given sample. If that's the case then why use the term monster mutation, other than for dramatic effect. Well, you have the right to call yourself what you like, I was questioning the mental health of it, but then if you're happy I suppose it doesn't matter. Personally I call myself Intersexed with a genetic mosaic.
All of this^^^ is exactly why I think KiMare is overladen with bovine excretia. He is either uninformed and a chimera or he's uninformed. My thoughts are that if he were actually a chimera he'd know enough about the term to not make such mistakes. Therefore, it appears to me that he's a bit of an ill informed liar.

Location hidden

#190701 May 1, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
-George Carlin
Yeah yeah, off topic but so much better than Big D's dopey bluster.
George Carlin is one of my favorites. Funny as hell and on the mark about reality. RIP

Location hidden

#190702 May 1, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Americans voted to maintain the definition of marriage as a union of one man and one woman. That's it.
We did? When was that?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#190703 May 1, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes a legal term which as a specific meaning, at least in 32 states, of marriage as a union of husband and wife. Why is that so troubling, or difficult to comprehend?
<quoted text>
Great, mandate health insurance companies pay for prostate exams for women. The law should be applied equally. Also require, by law, every women's rest room/locker room have the same number of urinals as every men's room/locker room. Equal is equal.
Yes 32 and dropping, we know, California is about to reverse, likely this year, as is Nevada shortly thereafter as both he legislature and now even the voting population are opposed to their ban, probably followed by Oregon in a year or so, the challenge is already underway there. That will bring your number down to 29 and still dropping

There is nothing that is difficult to comprehend, more and more states are joining ranks in recognizing same sex marriage, Delaware, Rode Island, Pennsylvania will have full recognition shortly and states that have bans are being challenged now, after the SC rules on DOMA federal recognition will also be in place.

Not sure why you can’t comprehend that.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#190704 May 1, 2013
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
We did? When was that?
Californians did it twice in 2000 and 2008. It was in all the papers.
Spot

Covina, CA

#190705 May 1, 2013
Freckle's are better for you.
charlie

Sweden

#190706 May 1, 2013
all i do is win
Howdy

Irving, TX

#190707 May 1, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Americans voted to maintain the definition of marriage as a union of one man and one woman. That's it.
Private American citizens do not vote on Federal Amendments to the Constitution.

That's it.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#190708 May 1, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
And they will vote on it again if the Supreme Court does not uphold the overturn of Prop 8, and all polls now show Prop 8 now being soundly defeated.

It is just a matter of time, justice will prevail.

Location hidden

#190709 May 1, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I know Californians did, but the rest of us haven't. You should try being more specific in the future.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#190710 May 1, 2013
Howdy wrote:
<quoted text>
Private American citizens do not vote on Federal Amendments to the Constitution.
That's it.
Howdy.........Doody

What about general Americans? Some where along the way Americans voted. At least at the state level.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#190711 May 1, 2013
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I know Californians did, but the rest of us haven't. You should try being more specific in the future.
Yes, my bad....citizens in 32 states maybe?
Howdy

Irving, TX

#190712 May 1, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Howdy.........Doody
What about general Americans? Some where along the way Americans voted. At least at the state level.
States can put into place any law they deem necessary. However, if that law (or state constitutional amendment) is found to be contrary to the U.S. Constitution, then those laws or state amendments are declared as "Unconstitutional". As in Prop 8 in California.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#190713 May 1, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
And they will vote on it again if the Supreme Court does not uphold the overturn of Prop 8, and all polls now show Prop 8 now being soundly defeated.
Will they? Opinion polls and voting polls don't always mesh.
It is just a matter of time, justice will prevail.
Don't forget truth and the American way Super D.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#190714 May 1, 2013
http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/federal-...

A federal trial court ruled that Nevada can limit marriage to opposite-sex couples in a ruling made public hours before the Supreme Court is due to consider whether it will hear any of several cases addressing same-sex couples' marriage rights.

Judge Robert C. Jones, a George W. Bush appointee, found that the U.S. Constitution's guarantee of equal protection of the laws does not "[prohibit] the People of the State of Nevada from maintaining statutes that reserve the institution of civil marriage to one-man–one-woman relationships."

Jones ruled that a prior Supreme Court precedent — a 1972 case, Baker v. Nelson, that denied a same-sex couple's marriage claim as lacking any "substantial federal question" — controlled his decision. Even if not, he ruled that the "exclusion of same-sex couples from the institution of civil marriage" was constitutional "[b]ecause the maintenance of the traditional institution of civil marriage as between one man and one woman is a legitimate state interest."

In reaching his decision, Jones found that a classification like Nevada's marriage law, which distinguishes between heterosexual and homosexual people (his analysis did not address bisexuality), should not be viewed with additional scrutiny, as are laws that distinguish based on sex or race. The analysis, made as part of challenges claiming a violation of the Constitution's equal protection guarantees, asks whether the group claiming discrimination under the law has experienced a history of discrimination and continues to face levels of political powerlessness

Howdy wrote:
<quoted text>
States can put into place any law they deem necessary. However, if that law (or state constitutional amendment) is found to be contrary to the U.S. Constitution, then those laws or state amendments are declared as "Unconstitutional". As in Prop 8 in California.
True, and different judges can interpret the Constitution differently, as we have seen with this issue.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#190715 May 1, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Not when the pollsters are biased, we saw that with Faux news in the last election.

However I am talking about a spread of polls different sources

You can hope... hope is about all you have left
Big D

Modesto, CA

#190716 May 1, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, my bad....citizens in 32 states maybe?
No it is the state legislatures that have to sign off on amendments and you are counting on California as one of your precious 32?

Think again

But it doesn’t matter anyway, republicans are switching sides on the issue now, in droves, if held today, a vote would kill Prop 8 in California, in Nevada as well
Big D

Modesto, CA

#190717 May 1, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>

I do take my patriotism like some folks take religion. It is ok to make fun, it makes me smile actually, I even agree that I am funny about that. I actually do believe in this nations values, not always its actions, but the values behind it all is what I am a patriot of.

Not a flag, or a set of borders, or a name, but the values. Freedom, justice, equality, a place where one is judged by their actions, not their beliefs, or their race or what have you. I know how I sound when I talk like that… it is funny to me too… but ( shrug ) it is what is important to me.

I don’t know if you ever saw the film "Gettysburg" but the conversations between Chamberlin and Kilrain were some of my favorite scenes. As I am sure you can imagine.

I agree with them both, even though they were as different as night and day
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#190718 May 1, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It's Super D!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 10 min JOEL 71,103
Carmel River diverted to allow dam removal, pre... Dec 16 Clint 1
Calif. cop may be fired for giving suicidal stu... Dec 13 John Smith 1
Kristen Scannell Saratoga Springs NY Adds New H... Dec 12 Alex Montgomery 1
Who do you think is the MOST corrupt Monterey C... Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 5
Help! In need of opiates preferably boi Dec 5 Njp9080 1
Monterey Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web