Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
166,081 - 166,100 of 200,343 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

black jesus wrote:
jesus was black
Jesus was Italian.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

black jesus wrote:
jesus was black
Jesus was a handsome white man. Looked sort of like Brad Pitt with long hair and a beard.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You have your panties in a hinder binder twirl because I don't fit into your logic that anyone who disagrees with calling ss couples married is a repressed gay.
It was your last bastion of 'logic' against the essence of marriage, the visible vast distinctions between ss couples and marriage, and the desolate endemic barrenness of a ss couple.
The fools are obvious...
Smile.
Interesting analysis Doctor KiMare. However, it is quite a bit off the mark. No bunching of the knickers here about any of this. Oddly enough, I didn't suggest you were gay. I simply pointed out that you lie, repeatedly, about your DNA. You also stick with your sophmoric premise that you're a lesbian trapped in a man's body. You also bring irrelevant "facts" into the argument, thus the comment about your opinion being mistaken for fact. For instance, if I state that heterosexuals aren't green so they shouldn't be allowed to marry, it is a fact that they're not green. However, my opinion about the relevance of their skin color is nil. Is that simple enough or do we need to get out crayons and construction paper.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
"Same-Sex Couple Fights for Right to Divorce in Maryland" http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Same-...
"Texas, USA: Dallas Gay Couple Still Seeking Divorce After Four Years"
http://purpleunions.com/blog/2013/01/texas-us...
"Rhode Island Judge Faces Legal Quandary as Gay Couple Seeks Divorce"
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,231473,00...
There are more, but why bother. But one must enjoy the irony. Here we have a group of people screaming that they must be granted the acknowledgement of the government to unite them as one in marriage- because it is a RIGHT and to prevent such would be an infringement on their FREEDOM.
Note the term's- RIGHT and FREEDOM.
Now, since they were granted that "right" and "freedom" they must now fight the GOVERNMENT for their "RIGHT" and "FREEDOM" to dissolve that "MARRIAGE".
The irony being, they are neither "FREE" nor are they exercising a "RIGHT." They are exercising a government granted PRIVILEGE!
Without that silly little piece of paper, they would have been FREE and within their RIGHT to unite or dissolve said union or marriage at WILL!
That my friends is freedom, at least as our founders would have defined it.
This* is all well and good, but ignores one simple fact. Married couples are more apt to stay together, in spite of the rising divorce rate, than couples who merely cohabitate.

*Actually the divorce tally exchange really is a pissing contest, not that I think you're unaware of that little detail.
Talley Sheet

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

ANNUAL AMERICAN DEATHS CAUSED BY DRUGS

TOBACCO .......... 400,000
ALCOHOL .......... 100,000
ALL LEGAL DRUGS ..........20,000
ALL ILLEGAL DRUGS .........15,000
CAFFEINE .......... 2,000
ASPIRIN .......... 500
MARIJUANA .......... 0

----------
Source: United States government...
National Institute on Drug Abuse,
Bureau of Mortality Statistics.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I was being flippant in my response to you. It's a ridiculous to believe that the government will stop its involvement in marriage in the foreseeable future.
It would be ridiculous to believe that the US Colonies could secede from Great Britain and become independent.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest that before there was legal marriage, couples still reproduced. It's how we all got here today.
"Before there was LEGAL marriage?"

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
This* is all well and good, but ignores one simple fact. Married couples are more apt to stay together, in spite of the rising divorce rate, than couples who merely cohabitate.
*Actually the divorce tally exchange really is a pissing contest, not that I think you're unaware of that little detail.
The purpose was to point out how irrational the argument is that receiving state sanctioning somehow makes people free.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be ridiculous to believe that the US Colonies could secede from Great Britain and become independent.
Yes just like it was ridiculous to think that more and more states would legally recognizing same sex marriages.

Times change, they did then just as they do today. There are some people however that cannot accept the change, but they are left in the dust as progress rolls on
Krankenstein

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Gays already have the same rights that anyone else has in America! What they do not have the right to is to force the rest of us to willingly accept their lifestyle choice.

If a gay couple wants to quietly live their life and not wear their sexuality on their sleeve in public, I have no problem with it but when they want to force me and my children to watch some ridiculous display in public, I say NO!!! When they want to manipulate school curriculum to forward their agenda at the expense of our school children, Again I say NO!!!!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes just like it was ridiculous to think that more and more states would legally recognizing same sex marriages.
Times change, they did then just as they do today. There are some people however that cannot accept the change, but they are left in the dust as progress rolls on
Yes indeed. There are some people who don't even believe anyone wants to legalize polygamy. They believe it won't happen on their watch!

Maybe if Frankie wheels out and gathers signatures though, it would have a chance.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.. Legal, no one gives a crap what Odin, or Zeus, or Big Bwana, or Allah, or Shiva, or some Volcano or whichever invisible payment you have.

Legal recognition is the only recognition that matters
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
The purpose was to point out how irrational the argument is that receiving state sanctioning somehow makes people free.
it is the freedom that matters, if you choose to subjugate yourself to people pushing their imaginary playmate on you to control you behavior while hiding behind a pulpit, that is your affair
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
it is the freedom that matters, if you choose to subjugate yourself to people pushing their imaginary playmate on you to control you behavior while hiding behind a pulpit, that is your affair
As usual, the only one mentioning religion is you.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.. Legal, no one gives a crap what Odin, or Zeus, or Big Bwana, or Allah, or Shiva, or some Volcano or whichever invisible payment you have.
"Invisible payment"? Is that what you told the finance company before they repossessed your car? You made an "invisible payment" and they just didn't see it?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, legal marriage... Do you have a problem understanding the concept?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, legal marriage... Do you have a problem understanding the concept?
Marriage did and does exist without any 'legal' involvement.

Our government has to have a prevailing interest to be engaged in marriage. Without children, it has none.

Smile.
Sprits

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Ah shut up you soda jerk from texas.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even think before you post?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I ask again, do you even think before you post?

Let me try and make this simple for you.

If a "marriage" is not "legal" without government recognition, than logic dictates that a "marriage" without government recognition is "illegal."

This runs completely counter with your argument that marriage is a "RIGHT."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Monterey Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••