Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 200,976

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#189270 Apr 18, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
He should be, it is what Prop 8 will be overturned on, which is the topic of this forum.
If you want to discuss unrelated topics go start a forum on those topics
This is a perfectly good marriage equality forum. Stop trying to censor it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Big D

Modesto, CA

#189272 Apr 18, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
it'll take chipping away i suspect. but like the miners, someday we'll strike gold or diamonds.
honestly, i never thought 20 yrs ago we'd have come this far.
i'm just thinking of all those state laws & how they compare to Prop 8.....maybe i'm being a bit hopeful, and feeling a bit energized by the past couple of years of change, but that one by one, the state's laws will be declared unconstitutional by a federal judge on some level.
if part 3 is struck down, then that would mean federal recognition insofar as taxation, etc. which would be a giant step forward for same sex marriage. the case that was heard - that of the widow who's sueing for the tax money she'd paid on the inheretance of property both she and her partner paid for (some are calling her the rosa parks of this movement) despite being legally married in NY.
my question then is this....and i hope i can state it clearly. why wouldn't sect 3 falling and fed recognition of same sex marriages (as in for IRS purposes) affect all 50 states? i would think that it would - if the fed recognizes those contracts then the fed would expect all states to honor all marriage contracts from other states, just like any other contract. i suppose the work around would be for someone in texas (like me) go to one of the states that do offer same sex marriage & get married there in order to get fed recognition of the marriage for tax purposes. i suppose i'll have to wait and watch - and perhaps consult our attorney again (and make him richer, again) & see what he advises us to do to save on taxes in the long run in this regards.
First off.. yeah, how fast this has happened in this amount of time is an astounding success. And you should feel energized, the majority of voting Americans are now behind you, and the young as they come of voting age are already with you.

I donít think section 3 of DOMA can survive what we saw in the supreme court, even some of your opponents here have agree that section 3 is unconstitutional... that part is toast. And tht does indeed mean federal recognition, that is a huge step, sit back and take it in, you are already recognized in a growing number of states ( Delaware next I believe ) and after this judgment, federally..

That is huge, donít take any other minor skirmishes as big as that one. California will recognize them one way or the other in the next couple of years regardless of the supreme courts ruling on Prop 8, the DOMA win is HUGE.

And to answer your last question, because of section 2 of DOMA which I expect to stand.... for now.

"No State, territory, or possession of the United States, or Indian tribe, shall be required to give effect to any public act, record, or judicial proceeding of any other State, territory, possession, or tribe respecting a relationship between persons of the same sex that is treated as a marriage under the laws of such other State, territory, possession, or tribe, or a right or claim arising from such relationship."

But I am no lawyer, and I donít know all the circumstances, I am nothing but an interested bystander
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#189273 Apr 18, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
it'll take chipping away i suspect. but like the miners, someday we'll strike gold or diamonds.
honestly, i never thought 20 yrs ago we'd have come this far.
i'm just thinking of all those state laws & how they compare to Prop 8.....maybe i'm being a bit hopeful, and feeling a bit energized by the past couple of years of change, but that one by one, the state's laws will be declared unconstitutional by a federal judge on some level.
if part 3 is struck down, then that would mean federal recognition insofar as taxation, etc. which would be a giant step forward for same sex marriage. the case that was heard - that of the widow who's sueing for the tax money she'd paid on the inheretance of property both she and her partner paid for (some are calling her the rosa parks of this movement) despite being legally married in NY.
my question then is this....and i hope i can state it clearly. why wouldn't sect 3 falling and fed recognition of same sex marriages (as in for IRS purposes) affect all 50 states? i would think that it would - if the fed recognizes those contracts then the fed would expect all states to honor all marriage contracts from other states, just like any other contract. i suppose the work around would be for someone in texas (like me) go to one of the states that do offer same sex marriage & get married there in order to get fed recognition of the marriage for tax purposes. i suppose i'll have to wait and watch - and perhaps consult our attorney again (and make him richer, again) & see what he advises us to do to save on taxes in the long run in this regards.
Gag me with a spoon. Are you always so giddy?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#189274 Apr 18, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you are tired of having your a$$ handed to you and are trying to apply whit in an attempt to save face. Something else you aren't very good at.
You're an angry person, aren't you?

You want to pick a fight with me over what I consider to be a ridiculous issue and I'm just not going to get involved with you.

If your goal is to go around handing people their ass, you've come to the wrong guy.

I'm not interested in being a part of your schtick.

Go work through your issues on someone else.
UrObsessedWithGa yMarriage

Elk Grove, CA

#189275 Apr 18, 2013
U losers do realize that whoever stops responding is the more mature person right? U all need to get a life...especially if you're not even gay, why r u so obsessed w gay marriage....YOU'RE ALL GAY IF U ASK ME. Have fun OBSESSING over gay marriage

#Obsessed
#Obsessing
#Obsession
#GayMarriage
#LosersHangout

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#189276 Apr 18, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it... Answer these questions and I'll be satisfied.
1.) How can a same-gender couple, who is not legally married, file a joint income tax form?
(The U.S. Internal Revenue Service does not allow same-sex spouses to file joint federal income tax returns, because the federal Defense of Marriage Act.)
2.) How can a member of a same-gender couple, who is not legally married, receive protection under the Family Medical Leave Act to care for his or her terminally or seriously ill partner?
(The federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) does not recognize same sex marriages; therefore, federal FMLA leave is not available for same sex partners/spouses.)
3.) How can a member of a same-gender couple, who is not legally married, receive Social Security and/or Medicare benefits of a deceased partner?
(Because DOMA prevents the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages, these couples are thus excluded from the same benefits offered to heterosexual married couples in programs such as Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.)
As I told you a long time ago, homosexuals have every right and opportunity to establish their own relational identity and rights, just like heterosexual did with marriage.

Quite trying to impose an imposter relationship on marriage.

ss couples will only ever be a sterile duplicated half of marriage.

Smile.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#189277 Apr 18, 2013
UrObsessedWithGayMarriage wrote:
U losers do realize that whoever stops responding is the more mature person right? U all need to get a life...especially if you're not even gay, why r u so obsessed w gay marriage....YOU'RE ALL GAY IF U ASK ME. Have fun OBSESSING over gay marriage
#Obsessed
#Obsessing
#Obsession
#GayMarriage
#LosersHangout
And you're here posting too. Trying to tell us something?

Location hidden

#189278 Apr 18, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
A duplicated barren desolate half of marriage is not 'equal'.
That is simple reality.
Smile.
heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
you must have our marriages confused with your own sweetcheeks.
snicker.
don't like the tone? then don't use it with me.
I guess you didn't like the point, made you trollish again.

No confusion by anyone. You know a ss couple will only ever be a sterile duplicated half of marriage. Everyone know that, even children.

In fact, all you can offer a child, at the most, is dad and 'dad', but never mom. Again, a duplicated half, but missing a parent that every child wants, needs and deserves.

How do you ever justify that to the child???

Smirk.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#189279 Apr 18, 2013
#Obsessed
#Obsessing
#Obsession
#GayMarriage
#LosersHangout
He says as he does the very same thing he's whining about.

Thank you for stopping by and sharing those thoughts, no matter how stupid and irrelevant.

Remember! There are no dumb posts. Only jackass dummy posters.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
AP is insight

Covina, CA

#189280 Apr 18, 2013
The bombing run got cancelled, darn.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#189281 Apr 18, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I have heard and read the transcripts of the arguments, you obviously didnít comprehend what you read
No you read the biased opinion of another and what they felt the arguments were. You didn't read the "transcripts" you read the little snippets pulled out of context that were blasted all over the liberal blogs.

Your admission that you have not read the briefs, and your dance aact you are putting on now to try and divert attention from that fact are why you are an idiot.

With all the time you spend on here posting uneducated nonsense you could have actually taken the time to read at least the one brief I posted for you and educate yourself.

You're an idiot!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Elk Grove, CA

#189282 Apr 18, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
He says as he does the very same thing he's whining about.
Thank you for stopping by and sharing those thoughts, no matter how stupid and irrelevant.
Remember! There are no dumb posts. Only jackass dummy posters.
Here's a perfect example of someone OBSESSED w gay marriage. U will be here multiple times a day w/o fail for the rest of your life. Have fun wasting your life OBSESSING over gay marriage. Like I said YOU'RE ALL GAY.

Elk Grove, CA

#189283 Apr 18, 2013
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I'm trying to let u know, that we all know the reason you're here is because you're gay. Here's a perfect example of someone OBSESSED w gay marriage. U will be here multiple times a day w/o fail for the rest of your life. Have fun wasting your life OBSESSING over gay marriage. Like I said YOU'RE ALL GAY.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#189284 Apr 18, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an angry person, aren't you?
You want to pick a fight with me over what I consider to be a ridiculous issue and I'm just not going to get involved with you.
If your goal is to go around handing people their ass, you've come to the wrong guy.
I'm not interested in being a part of your schtick.
Go work through your issues on someone else.
And the circus act continues.

You could just state the obvious, that you lack even a basic understanding of the judiciary, but no, you would prefer to continue making an ass out of youself, first by claiming you weren't wrong and now by claiming it doesn't matter.

Keep dancing puppet, you are slightly entertaining, though you would be more so if you had just a little intelligence to present even a slight challenge.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Elk Grove, CA

#189285 Apr 18, 2013
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
2,720 comments about gay marriage, and counting!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#189289 Apr 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Here's a perfect example of someone OBSESSED w gay marriage. U will be here multiple times a day w/o fail for the rest of your life. Have fun wasting your life OBSESSING over gay marriage. Like I said YOU'RE ALL GAY.
Too funny!

Try and relax Fruitcake.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#189290 Apr 18, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
And the circus act continues.
You could just state the obvious, that you lack even a basic understanding of the judiciary, but no, you would prefer to continue making an ass out of youself, first by claiming you weren't wrong and now by claiming it doesn't matter.
Keep dancing puppet, you are slightly entertaining, though you would be more so if you had just a little intelligence to present even a slight challenge.
Some things never change...

Smile.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#189291 Apr 18, 2013
<quoted text>
2,720 comments about gay marriage, and counting!!!
Hey giblets for brains, is this the only topix thread? Nope, there are numerous ones. I suspect you have seen them and offered your limited wisdom in a few. You probably masturbate furiously waiting for someone to reply to your drivel. Just be sure you clean up afterwards. You wouldn't want your mommy slipping in your spooge when she brings your milk & cookies down to the basement.

BTW, I'm glad you finally got the courage to admit that you're gay.
Spazzo

Covina, CA

#189292 Apr 18, 2013
Don't let Steve Herfert around any minorities since he hates them and uses racists comments around them and about them.

Like Feb. 05, 2013..

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#189293 Apr 18, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Too funny!
Everybody has the same rights when it comes to marrying someone of the same sex. Equal.
That's like saying everybody had the right to marry someone of the same race before Loving v VA.

A man can marry a woman, but woman can't. Not equal.
A woman can marry a man, but a man can't. Not equal.
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Should people have been aborted? Start a forum about that subject and talk about it.
?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 51 min Frijoles 69,404
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 10 hr free for all 5,081
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 22 hr surfs up 7,955
Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles Sat bubba 69 2
Dennis W (Veeser) from Krakow Wi. Fri Mia 1
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Fri scoop 2,273
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Sep 18 Pizza 16,000
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Monterey News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Monterey
•••