Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,187

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188652 Apr 14, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
In Olson’s view, the state may not officially prefer heterosexual marriage by a policy so mild that it does nothing other than to leave same-sex couples alone while declining to formally recognize their unions. By what reasoning, then, could it have a right to prefer some definition of marriage by actually punishing those who choose to disregard it?
Moreover, in his summary of what the Supreme Court has “said” about polygamy, Olson omitted to mention the single most famous case dealing with this question, Reynolds v. United States. In that case the Court upheld the federal law forbidding polygamy in the territories of the United States, and declined to find that the free exercise clause immunizes those who practice it for religious reasons.
Most of the Court’s argument is dedicated to the original meaning of the Constitution’s religion clauses, but also noteworthy is its passing comment on the basis of the law in question, a basis that the Court at that time apparently found unquestionably legitimate:“Polygamy has always been odious among the northern and western nations of Europe .. and from the earliest history of England polygamy has been treated as an offense against society.”
Reynolds has never been overturned and indeed has been cited as an authority by the modern Supreme Court. In it the Court tells us straightforwardly the basis of laws prohibiting polygamy: moral disapproval of the practice. This raises a serious problem for the defenders of same-sex marriage.
A number of the Court’s precedents defending a “right of privacy” have already strongly undermined the idea that the majority’s moral convictions are a sufficient basis for law. If the Court finds a right to same-sex marriage, it will practically dismantle the whole concept of morals legislation. But if moral preference for heterosexual marriage cannot be a reasonable basis on which to afford it a formal recognition denied to other unions, then how can moral disapproval be a reasonable ground on which to forbid and punish polygamy?
Let us turn now from the distinctions Olson overlooked to the ones he emphasized. In the first place, Olson contended that polygamy raises serious concerns about “exploitation,”“abuse,” and “patriarchy” that aren’t relevant to same-sex marriage. Presumably he was referring to the “abuse” and “exploitation” of the children and perhaps wives of plural marriages. Yet, under the constitutional theory of marriage Olson has tried to sell, none of these considerations would be sufficient to forbid polygamy. Olson insists that marriage is a fundamental right. Standard Supreme Court doctrine holds that fundamental rights can only be infringed to defend a “compelling state interest” and that the regulations made to protect that interest must be drawn as narrowly as possible.
Everyone would concede that prevention of abuse and exploitation of children and wives is a compelling state interest. On the other hand, nobody would contend that such abuse and exploitation is the very essence of polygamy. After all, abuse and exploitation can be found in monogamous marriages, too. The most one could say is that these problems are dangers to which polygamous unions are more or less prone. In any case, under the “fundamental rights” doctrine on which Olson relies, the least restrictive means to remedy such dangers would be to recur to already existing laws punishing such abuse and exploitation, rather than going so far as to ban polygamy altogether.
Olson may also have been hinting that the state could reasonably fear that abuse and exploitation of children is more likely to arise in families where the children are not related by blood to all of their parents. This is a reasonable concern, but it could be raised just as easily in relation to same-sex marriages, where at best, only one parent can be biologically related to each child.
Careful, buddy, don't confound them, with irrefutable logic, you'll get banned.
:-D
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#188653 Apr 14, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
"Just the facts" accused Rock of making "SSSB" up. I showed it was in use as an abbreviation. "sexual behavior" is too vague. Really, intent to demonize? Paranoid much?
"just the facts" is an idiot.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#188654 Apr 14, 2013
just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>I googled it and found not one matching use. I stopped looking after 26 pages
Well that proves it then!

Ah, what is it that you are you trying to prove? That the acronym "SSSB" is not an acronym? How will that help your dumb argument Jizzy?

What a dope!
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188655 Apr 14, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it speaks to their motivation to lie. Damn, are you completely stupid?
You must be, to tie homosexual behavioralists to lying. It shows what you think of your own. And, illustrates your own propensity, for same.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188656 Apr 14, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>n your case, stupify.
How delightfully evasive of you.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188657 Apr 14, 2013
just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>How many guys have you blown?
And you, too. Wonderful show of flagrant irrelevancy. Truly typifying...
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188658 Apr 14, 2013
just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>There is the difference. I have never, 99.99 % of all straight guys would have said none and never will. Yet you feel remorse for never trying. Very telling. Hey Framkie its never too late. Did you win any medals for bull shitting?
How can your gay ass claim that it hasn't snorked on some stiffie? Come on, now, be honest, we're all friends in here, it can be our little secret.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188659 Apr 14, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
"Just the facts" accused Rock of making "SSSB" up. I showed it was in use as an abbreviation. "sexual behavior" is too vague. Really, intent to demonize? Paranoid much?
Not paranoid, at all. Just a damn liar, is all.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188663 Apr 14, 2013
just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>I googled it and found not one matching use. I stopped looking after 26 pages
Do you mean THESE "non-existent" search results? These, that I CUT-N-PASTED, in a laughably easy manner...These don't exist? ROFLMAO @ your stupid ass. I'm sorry to laugh, but you make it SO easy to laugh...

"SSSB sexual behavior" (goes into the searchbar)

OhioLINK ETD: Corbley, Chad
Participants were also asked about same-sex sexual behaviors (SSSB), sexual orientation identity, and attitudes towards lesbians and gays.
rave.ohiolink.edu/etdc/view... - Cached

Components of Sexual Orientation: Attractions, Behaviors, and ...
Participants were also asked about same-sex sexual behaviors (SSSB), sexual orientation identity, and attitudes towards lesbians and gays.
drc.ohiolink.edu/handle/2374.OX/107063 - Cached

Oppose WA HB 1515
Will they be taught that same-sex sexual behavior and relationships are ... there is no credible evidence that such feelings or same-sex sexual behavior (SSSB)...
www.cmda.org/wcm/.../Sexuality1/.../Oppose_WA... - Cached

Safer Sex Skills Building (SSSB)| Best-Evidence ...
Decrease unsafe sexual behaviors; ... Safer Sex Skills Building (SSSB) is a group intervention consisting of 5 sessions, approximately 90 minutes each,...
www.cdc.gov/.../research/prs/resources/factsh... - Cached

More results from cdc.gov »

Safer Sex Skills Building (SSSB)- NE Florida Counts ...
Ranking: Evidence-Based Practice: Description: The goal of the Safer Sex Skills Building intervention is to decrease unsafe sexual behaviors among heterosexually ...
www.nefloridacounts.org/modules.php... ...- Cached

Myths vs. Facts
... 22 Brain tissue is actually changed by habitual patterns of behavior, making SSSB sometimes difficult to treat. 14 ... The sexual behavior of men in the United ...
www.cmda.org/wcm/CMDA/Issues2/Other1/Sexualit... ...- Cached

Healthy San Bernardino :: Promising Practices :: Safer Sex ...
Safer Sex Skills Building (SSSB)... The goal of the Safer Sex Skills Building intervention is to decrease unsafe sexual behaviors. Results / Accomplishments:
www.healthysanbernardinocounty.org/modules.ph... ...- Cached

[PDF]
IN THE IOWA DISTRICT COURT FOR POLK COUNTY KATHERINE VARNUM ...
Adobe PDF
could be classified under the umbrella of same-sex sexual behavior (SSSB), same-sex sexual attraction (SSSA), or a mixture of same-sex desires and/or behavior (SSSAB).
www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2007_docs/Analysisof... ...

Healthy Arizona :: Promising Practices :: Safer Sex Skills ...
Safer Sex Skills Building (SSSB)... The goal of the Safer Sex Skills Building intervention is to decrease unsafe sexual behaviors. Results / Accomplishments:
www.arizonahealthmatters.org/modules.php... ...- Cached

Safer Sex Skills Building (SSSB)- Health Matters in San ...
Ranking: Evidence-Based Practice: Description: The goal of the Safer Sex Skills Building intervention is to decrease unsafe sexual behaviors among heterosexually ...
www.healthmattersinsf.org/modules.php... ...- Cached

Ad

Adolescent Problems
Help for parents dealing with adolescent behavior problems
www.discoveryacademy.com

Ad

Adolescent Problems
Help for parents dealing with adolescent behavior problems
www.discoveryacademy.com
See your message here...
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188664 Apr 14, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that proves it then!
Ah, what is it that you are you trying to prove? That the acronym "SSSB" is not an acronym? How will that help your dumb argument Jizzy?
What a dope!
As you can see, I felt an obligation to instruct "LilJizzy" to lie better. His slip was showing...
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188665 Apr 14, 2013
just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Run that by Frankie, he has remorse. Why are you into sodmy?
"Sodmy" with the opposite sex is cool beans. "Sodmy" with ones own gender is redundant, and wrong. OK? Clear now?
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188667 Apr 14, 2013
just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Still dreaming up war stories hey Frankie. Stop ridding the coat tails of service men and women. You never served a single day.
I'd serve with him on any front. You...... Well, you'd probably end up somewhere that you shouldn't have gone. Enough said.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#188671 Apr 14, 2013
just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Really, you would. Even if its imaginary? Frankie stole the I served in Nam from Old swift boater. Damn son get a friggin clue
How do you steal "I served in Nam" you sorry ass-ed Jody coward?

I did two tours in Vietnam. And some time in Korea. I got the DD-214 to prove it. I'll meet your Jody ass at the VFW you frikkin coward.

Hope that helped.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188672 Apr 14, 2013
just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Safer Sex Skills Building (SSSB)
The goal of the Safer Sex Skills Building intervention is to decrease unsafe sexual behaviors among heterosexually ...
I acknowledge your cherry-picking 1 out of many, in order to appear to have disproved my point. But cherry-picking has left all of the rest intact. Weak and lame.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188673 Apr 14, 2013
just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Really, you would. Even if its imaginary? Frankie stole the I served in Nam from Old swift boater. Damn son get a friggin clue
I throw no insults at SwiftieBill, concerning his service, either. Did you know Frankie, in the 'Nam years (I bet not)? I'll get no clues from you, Jody. You won't offer anything of value. Just as you cherry-picked, in order 'to appear' to have been right. You were revealing yourself there, and you have no credibility with me, sir. I'd bet dimes to dollars that Frank served.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188674 Apr 14, 2013
just the facts wrote:
And even if he didn't, Damnit, I like the cut of his jib.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188675 Apr 14, 2013
just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Really, did the laws say that? Now face facts, if you have oral sex with your wife or any woman, its called sodmy you dumbazz.
No. I said it. Also, I showed you what the law said, about how legal it used to be. And, even after pointing to your error ("Sodmy"?), you have still managed to mispell it. "Sodomy".

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#188676 Apr 14, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you steal "I served in Nam" you sorry ass-ed Jody coward?
I did two tours in Vietnam. And some time in Korea. I got the DD-214 to prove it. I'll meet your Jody ass at the VFW you frikkin coward.
Hope that helped.
He'll have to Google DD-214 to know what that is...
:-D

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Conventent

Covina, CA

#188677 Apr 14, 2013
Janelle Terelys Castellanos of St. Lucy's Priory High School took top honors over Jennifer Argueta of Panorama High School. The West Covina girl spelled "oceanografia" correctly to win.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#188678 Apr 14, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Helllooooooo....it simply shows that "SSSB" is a an abbreviation for "same sex sexual behavior". As to the rest, I will defer to you for now.
How about this... I've worked in the behavioral science field for most of my life. I've read journals and scientific articles concerning homosexuality more times that I care to recall.

In addition to that I've been gay all my life. I've known what to call myself for most of that time.

And until a couple of days ago I had never seen the acronym SSSB.

I even Googled the acronym and couldn't find it.

SSSB Stiftelsen Stockholms Studentbostäder (Swedish: Stockholm Student Housing Foundation)
SSSB Small Solar-System Body (International Astronomical Union Resolution 5A)
SSSB Society for the Study of Social Biology
SSSB Ship Shore Ship Buffer
SSSB Schroeder Salomon Smith Barney
SSSB Systems Source Selection Board
SSSB Super Smash Synthesizer Brothers (Electronica band)

So I asked...

Good to know there's another way to describe us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr L Morales 71,302
Kristen Scannell Saratoga Springs NY Adds New H... Dec 23 Kristen Scannell ... 2
Carmel River diverted to allow dam removal, pre... Dec 16 Clint 1
Calif. cop may be fired for giving suicidal stu... Dec 13 John Smith 1
Who do you think is the MOST corrupt Monterey C... Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 5
Help! In need of opiates preferably boi Dec 5 Njp9080 1
Monterey Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Monterey News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Monterey