Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,038

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Sparkle

Seattle, WA

#187744 Apr 8, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>Well of course a gay guy isn't going to molest a little girl! So hateful against the heteros aren't you, your name to me is no longer lilith or sparkle or pole dancer. From now on you are to go by the name Jeffrey Domer!
ooooh ok marlboro man

Since: May 09

New York, NY

#187745 Apr 8, 2013
Old Time Surfer wrote:
I don't care what people do behind closed doors. I can not understand how a Judge can over rule what we voted for. I know I can't see how a moron would change a voted law and passed can in his or her mind override law. So they can't be law abiding folks when they go willy nilly and do what a minority wants.
My mind can't understand how they can't abide in what we as a people voted on. It hurts to know we have people taking things that are right and just doing what ever suites them.
I have family members more them one living a homosexual, do I love them without a dough I love them the same as the rest. They know I can't approved in the life style. And they also in the same way they love me as well. There is not one thing I would anything for any my family THEIR IS NO DEFERENCE IN MY EYES. But they also know the word of GOD never ever changes. I was a enemy of GOD as well.
So what you are basically saying is that you have to think what your imaginary friend dictates to you..........wow..........

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#187746 Apr 8, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
But it was in other parts of the U.S.
'A superior colored man ... and a Scotch woman': interracial marriages in New York City, 1850-1870.
When interviewed by a pension official in 1893, Ellen Davis stated that she was fifty-nine years old, employed as a washerwoman, and that she was born in Scotland. The widow spoke affectionately of her husband John Davis, a veteran of Company G of the 26th United States Colored Infantry who had passed away in 1887 at the age of seventy. The two had married at their home in Brooklyn in 1879 and settled down to raise Ellen's three children from her previous marriage. She recalled, "I had three children by my first husband [.H]is name was James Ronald [and] he was a Scotsman. I married him in Chanden, Scotland in 1859. We went to Australia within two weeks after we were married.... and lived on a sheep farm.... I lived there two years when his health began to fail and we moved back to Scotland." Her husband died soon thereafter and Ellen Davis moved to New York City in 1874 to stay with her cousin. Three years later, she met John Davis who worked as a sawyer in a mill. The Davis couple was well-liked in their neighborhood. According to a local official, "He was a superior colored man, a sawyer by trade, and was considered an honest and truthful man....[she] is a Scotch woman [who] speaks with a strong Scotch accent [and] appears to [be] honest and truthful." (1)
The marriage of John and Ellen Davis was one between a white woman and an African-American man, a Scottish immigrant and a native New Yorker, and two working class laborers. While one might assume that such relationships were rare in the nineteenth century, a close examination of United States Manuscript Census Records in New York City for 1850, 1860, and 1870 indicates that such interracial, cross-cultural marriages constituted five to seven percent of married couples living in predominantly black neighborhoods. The number of interracial marriages varied over the twenty year period under investigation but skyrocketed following the Civil War. Census records indicate that there were 29 interracial marriages in 1850, 19 in 1860, and 116 in 1870. The vast majority of such relationships occurred between black men and white women often between an African-American male born in the United States and a woman who had immigrated from Europe, most of whom were Irish, Scottish, or English.(2) While mixed-race couples in different regions and in different eras faced tremendous resistance, such couples were not uncommon in mid-nineteenth-century New York City. Interracial couples often married in black churches in New York, worked in the city, sent their children to local African schools, and successfully interacted with government institutions, including pension officials, local court representatives, and census takers.
This article examines why such interracial relationships were not unusual to New York City from 1850 to 1870.
So, what you're saying is that it was legal in some states, but not recognized in others? Hmmmm... That sounds vaguely familiar.

And I'm guessing that the happy couples you talked about didn't honeymoon in Mississippi.
Anonymous

Richmond, VA

#187747 Apr 8, 2013
Sparkle wrote:
<quoted text>Well there olde dude... to begin with the constitution was written to protect minorities from the tieriny of a majority and you just don't vote away a persons civil rights... Number two no one gives a fluck about your god or his 2000 year old comic book and we don't pass laws based on a mythical superstition... I'm sorry your an old bigot... but that is your choice and we don't give you SPECIAL RIGHTS to impose your hate on others... Thanks for playing... you will find a concellation prize at the door on the right as you leave
Don't worry old surfer dude, this girl sells her body for a living and has encouraged her kids to do the same. They even make her her trashy stage outfits. Of course this girl is all for ssm and is against anyone who is not, she has no morals and is just a pig!
Anonymous

Richmond, VA

#187748 Apr 8, 2013
Sparkle wrote:
<quoted text>ooooh ok marlboro man
The Marlboro man is sexy;)
Sparkle

Seattle, WA

#187749 Apr 8, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>The Marlboro man is sexy;)
i'm sure lung cancer is too

“"Do Unto Others" ”

Since: Mar 13

Austin Texas

#187750 Apr 8, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>The Marlboro man is sexy;)
I guess that would make you a charter member of the National Necrophilia foundation I reckon then? Sexey and dead,the Marlboro man died of lung cancer quite awhile ago! He even did an anti-smoking commercial for the Cancer society with him up on his big OL horse with a oxygen tank and mask before he died!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#187751 Apr 8, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
So, what you're saying is that it was legal in some states, but not recognized in others? Hmmmm... That sounds vaguely familiar.
And I'm guessing that the happy couples you talked about didn't honeymoon in Mississippi.
I pointed out legal interracial (black white) are nothing new, and existed prior to some of the bans. SSM is a modern invention.

How many races/ethnicities are there? Same number as there are sexes?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#187752 Apr 8, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
The Supreme Court "expanded" the definition of marriage in 1967 to include marriages between interracial couples.
No, they simply recognized a husband AND wife, regardless of ethnicity, are still husband AND wife.

New York, NY

#187753 Apr 8, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I pointed out legal interracial (black white) are nothing new, and existed prior to some of the bans. SSM is a modern invention.
I'm sure that there have always been a percentage of monogamous gay couples, just as there have always been gay people: Monotheism drove gay people underground, just like it drove prostitution underground.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#187754 Apr 8, 2013
A Most Interesting Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess that would make you a charter member of the National Necrophilia foundation I reckon then? Sexey and dead,the Marlboro man died of lung cancer quite awhile ago! He even did an anti-smoking commercial for the Cancer society with him up on his big OL horse with a oxygen tank and mask before he died!
Aw shuddup Bill you big dopey jackass!
Sparkle

Seattle, WA

#187755 Apr 8, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>Don't worry old surfer dude, this girl sells her body for a living and has encouraged her kids to do the same. They even make her her trashy stage outfits. Of course this girl is all for ssm and is against anyone who is not, she has no morals and is just a pig!
So I guess telling lies about others doesn't break your gods laws either ehh... My child is in college now you dolt and she don't know how to sew and the only pig is you

Knoxville, TN

#187756 Apr 8, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they simply recognized a husband AND wife, regardless of ethnicity, are still husband AND wife.
So, you're saying that the Supreme Court "expanded" or "redefined" marriage in America to include interracial marriage; which had not been recognized universally in the U.S. prior to 1967.

And you, yourself, admitted earlier that same-gender marriages have existed in the past. So, it's not like it's a brand new idea.

Besides, same-sex couples have been around for eons, even if they haven't been formally recognized through marriage.

You guys act as though us gay people just started falling out of the closet a few years ago.

We won't let your ignorance stand in the way of what we believe we are entitled to.

“"Do Unto Others" ”

Since: Mar 13

Austin Texas

#187757 Apr 8, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Aw shuddup Bill you big dopey jackass!
Huh? What? Who? How about you stop spamming and for once say something of substance you nut job! LOL

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#187758 Apr 8, 2013
Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice. Don't understand why you cannot include Hawaii in your 4 corners, call it a Ferry Jaunt?
:-D
Bet that 30 Degrees felt like heaven, huh? Get rid of the hair-dryer blast...
We were coming down the west side of the Rockies fairly early in the morning. We'd gone through Powder River Pass (elev. 9666). It was mid July and there was snow on the ground when we got off the bikes to stretch at the elevation sign. This was fairly early in the morning so the ride down the west side was in the shade of the mountains. My fingers went numb after a bit (summer gloves), but I didn't care, just put one hand on the cylinder head for a bit and then repeat for the other.

No time for a ferry to Hawaii! Gotta get from Key West to Madawaska, Maine via San Diego and Blaine, WA in three weeks to get the biscuit. That reminds me, I've got to join the So Cal MC Association (or something like that) to make the ride official. Good thing I don't care much about sight seeing from Key West to west Texas as I've been all over the place in that section of the country. That and west Texas is best gone through as fast as possible to get through the feedlot stench. Nothing like the smell of urine from cattle living in crowded feedlots. They're shoulder to shoulder on dung mountains.

Location hidden

#187759 Apr 8, 2013
KiMare wrote:
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
How about one's OWN mother and father if at all possible? Why not one dad and two moms? What about a dad and grand dad? There are numerous possibilities.
<quoted text>
Sheesh, I missed that exchange too.
Care to repeat it?
If you dumb down marriage to two people in a relationship, it is simply a friendship with a discriminatory limit on the number of people.
Waiting.
Smile.
You missed it, eh? Posting while you're sleeping?

New York, NY

#187760 Apr 8, 2013
While driving thru the Carolinas I needed to stop for smokes: Think Mayberry RFD run by the Gestapo.

Location hidden

#187761 Apr 8, 2013
yea sure wrote:
did anybody notice that the mainstream press has not said a single WORD about this case ?
----they dont want us to know about it ----
The case of a same-sex Connecticut couple accused of repeatedly raping and abusing two of their nine adopted boys is headed for trial.
Married couple George Harasz and Douglas Wirth of Glastonbury were supposed to be sentenced Friday in Hartford Superior Court under a plea deal, but instead withdrew from their agreement with prosecutors. The men had already pleaded no contest in January to one felony count each of risk of injury to a minor a reduction from even more serious charges related to sexual assault.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/gay-con...
A local CBS station covered it. There is also a Huffington Post article about it.

Knoxville, TN

#187762 Apr 8, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Same-gender marriage is nothing new either. Couples have been trying to have their marriages legalized for over 40 years.

And I'm sure that when interracial marriage started here in the U.S. it was considered unthinkable to the vast majority of citizens--just like you think same-gender marriage is unthinkable.

Now we don't even give interracial marriages a second thought.

Marriage laws have evolved in this country. There is no denying that.

At one time it in the U.S. was legal for people to marry as young as 12 years old. And in some parts of the developing world, that's still possible.

You guys seem to think that marriage has been static and unchanging for thousands of years. But you know that isn't the case.

Whether it's been between one man and one woman, one man and multiple women, one woman and multiple men, a man and a man, a woman and a woman, one man (or woman) and deceased people (look up "ghost marriages"), arranged marriages--the fact of the matter is that marriage has looked very different over time and throughout the different cultures on this planet.

That we are evolving marriage to include same-gender couples is just another example of the changes in the definition of marriage.
CA chamber of Commece

Covina, CA

#187763 Apr 8, 2013
California chamber of commerce is nothing more than a right-wing lobbying organization, red neck and all, RNC, GOP, Republican and tea party snot holes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 11 min Bucketeers 7,967
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 44 min HughBe 69,535
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 5 hr do it here 16,011
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Sep 28 No Time for Tea 5,084
Carmel waste broker accused of bribery (Dec '08) Sep 23 Shelly 12
Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles Sep 21 fancy 3
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Sep 21 theos 2,275

Monterey Jobs

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Monterey News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Monterey

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]