Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
163,841 - 163,860 of 200,360 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

Since: Mar 12

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>same benefits? or the trophy? The trophy is for a man and a woman. Sorry.
Trophy? What are you talking about this isn't a bowling tournament.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
We know for a fact that no one has said procreation is a requirement for a marriage license.
Well when they stop mentioning it as if it is a reason to not allow same sex marriage I will stop pointing the obvious out.

you are arguing with the wrong person, talk to those who post as if it is

You may not comprehend what people are saying, but others here do.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>Its your choice to ignore reality Frank. The simple fact is this, we are all w hores. BTW you spend a vast majority of your day being off topic. You have never posted to the validity of the Judges actions.
I laugh every time he does that, he is the worst offender but always calls everyone else on it.

He is nothing but a joke

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Off topic (Like Big D and Jizzybird) but funny.

http://www.politicalcartoons.com/cartoon/62a1...
Very funny.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is about gay marriage not bisexual marriage. One thing at a time.
Exactly my point, when does it stop?
annoyed

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you have to come here for with all that common sense and spoil it!
It's just that so many lives are diminished for no reason. Living in the past is no good. We should make our own future without old white legislators (without a clue) telling us what we can or can not do. TYEY'RE the servants, not us.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Trophy? What are you talking about this isn't a bowling tournament.
Sure sounds like one. Lot of bouncing and loud noises. Trying to score a point.
Foggerys

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Don't act as STUPID as the last poster on this site and the NYPD.

I think it’s preposterous, said Justin Johnsen, 31, who received the $1,263.01 bill from the city last month for the Nov. 5 accident on Flushing Avenue that left him with deep cuts that required stitches.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I laugh every time he does that, he is the worst offender but always calls everyone else on it.
He is nothing but a joke
Too funny!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Well when they stop mentioning it as if it is a reason to not allow same sex marriage I will stop pointing the obvious out.
you are arguing with the wrong person, talk to those who post as if it is
You may not comprehend what people are saying, but others here do.
I comprehend fine, others do too. You attempt to change his argument that procreation is closely related to marriage into that it's a requirement for marriage. That's not what anyone has said and you know it. You're dishonest.

Since: Apr 13

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Cat Purrs wrote:
<quoted text> I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you. Your mom sounds so much like my mom. I was abused&#12288;by her as far back as I can remember from the time I was very young, until I finally got out at 17. Even now I have a really hard time talking too and relating to others.
Wow sweetie i'm sorry to hear that
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I comprehend fine, others do too. You attempt to change his argument that procreation is closely related to marriage into that it's a requirement for marriage. That's not what anyone has said and you know it. You're dishonest.
Well then if they know that, then there is no longer a reason to bring up procreation, sex or religion into the discussion as none of those are any requirement for a marriage

if no one else brings them up as a reason to not allow same sex marriage, then neither will I

Otherwise you get to see it again and again and again, as often as they bring it up.

Of course we both know they will continue to bring it up, and I will continue to point it out to the.

An no one cares if you like it or not

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly my point, when does it stop?
When does what stop.

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Sure sounds like one. Lot of bouncing and loud noises. Trying to score a point.
And clearly beating you.
Obskeptic

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
We know for a fact that ability or intent to procreate is not a requirement for a marriage license
We know for a fact that the ability or intent to have sex of any specific kind or any at all for that matter is not a requirement for a marriage license
We know for a fact that religion is not any kind of requirement for a marriage license.
I am standing by to educate.
I also happen to know I am dealing with people that believe in the “golden rule” that you treat others the way you want to be treated. So I will happily oblige them and treat them exactly how they treat others.
It is possible to love the sinner but not the sin. I have every bit as much right to my beliefs as you do, and society is who decides the standards to which we live. As I pointed out in a previous post, your almost there. You have removed prayer from the schools and now our children kill each other. Thanks for that. Undermining the sanctity of marriage and the traditional core family unit has and will have equally damning results over time. It is a culture war that has a double edge to it. Your sides victory when and if you win will mean the end of western society, and will insure that Islam and Sharia will dominate the human race. Thats when it will get really fun for all of us, but especially for gays.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
They can't be. It is impossible.
It is visibly obvious they are only ever a senselessly duplicated half of marriage. A desecration of sacred design. A barren imposter relationship that is always a devastating deprivation of family imposed on a child for the sake of an illusion. A violent imitation of sexual intimacy.
There is nothing, at any level that equates a ss couple to marriage.
Smile.
that's merely your opinion. the courts, however, seem to be disagreeing with you. and of course, the county clerks in the states that allow for same sex marriage.

that would imply that your opinion doesn't really amount to "a hill of beans" as my father would've put it.

good luck.

grin.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it would be intellectually dishonest not to admit that. I have acknowledged in the past there are scattered historical example of various societies formally recognizing same sex unions, although of those that did not all equating them with marriage. There have been poly android practicing societies, but those are,extremely rare.
<quoted text>
We all know its not a requirement, why would you think it would need to be?
<quoted text>
True, but human reproduction is sexual. Conception is a natural end result of sexual intercourse.
<quoted text>
Legal marriage is, at least in 32 plus U.S. states, defined as a union of husband and wife. If one wishes to enter into a legal marriage, one must do so as it is defined by the state. Sex is also not a legal requirement of marriage and cannot be used to justify withholding legal marriage from siblings who wish to marry.
<quoted text>
I do not ignore that, I disagree as to its relevance. How many children are,being raised by adult siblings, or a mother or father, and a grandparent? So the SSC gets marital benefits package because,they are,raising children, but the adult siblings don't? Of those children being raised by SSCs, how may were the product of either party's previous conjugal marriage or other os relationship?
<quoted text>
Soooooo.....that means what? If two same sex adult siblings have adopted kids, or are raising their own bio kids just like SSCs, should they get the gov't bennies?
Unless I'm mistaken, the argument most often thrown around here is that heterosexual couples should have access to the benefits and protections of marriage PRIMARILY because they may have children.

The last part of my post was an attempt to show that there are a significant number of same-gender couples who have children. Shouldn't these be afforded the same protections and benefits under the law as opposite-gender couples who are married?

If you don't want to include children in the equation, then the fact that two, consenting, unrelated, adults who wish to partner their lives under the eyes of the government by way of marriage, should be a sufficient argument for same-gender marriage.

Don't try to throw in the ringer of plural marriage and incestuous marriages. They have already been found to be unlawful.

Same-gender marriage HAS NOTHING TO DO with incest or bigamy.

We are ONLY talking about same-gender, unrelated, consenting, adult couples.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the pot calling the kettle "Negro. " (Come get some, Chongo) Your side has repeatedly fed us gibberish and propaganda, from your "Whack-a-doodle" sites, and you are calling "foul"? It is to laugh.
the only sources icite are those from easily identifible institutions that are scientifically based.

you know, organizations like the apa, ama and so forth.

i'm sorry if you don't recognize those organizations - but they are national professional organizations.

i've never had to resort to religiously based websites that use no peer reviewed studies.

some folks may refer to more liberal groups - but i still prefer to check out and use Pew Research Center's findings as well as other university studies as well.

keep tryin' lil' buddy. you'll get there eventually. we're all cheering for you.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, two attractive women.key words there. In real life most lesbians are nasty. They are dirty, butchy gross girls. Most of the time you can't tell if their a girl or man. Sometimes I wonder how a biological woman could look so manly. Its just not right! When me and my friend would mess around to get everyone going we really drew in a crowd:)lol. It was fun! But with starting a family now I can't do stuff like anymore!
you really have no clue.
Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Snoop Dogg Doesn't Think Being Gay Is 'Acceptable' In The Rap World
http://www.businessinsider.com/snoop-dogg-tal...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Monterey Discussions

Search the Monterey Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 1 hr Ban Central Station 4,895
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 hr SamBee 68,439
Seaside In-N-Out should be ready by summer '15 11 hr Watchdog 2
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Jul 28 snodder 2,252
Tim Grobaty: Rock acts once reigned at old Mari... (Jun '10) Jul 27 harry king 4
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Jul 27 Twilight sun 7,848
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Jul 27 Facts facts 15,927
•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••