Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
163,621 - 163,640 of 200,349 Comments Last updated 5 hrs ago
Beaches

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187224
Apr 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Public rights eroding over time!

So far the cities who claim to own the beaches have taken away almost everything you can do on them - no smoking, no drinking, now no fire pits. What's the sense in going to the beach at night if you can't have the fire pits?

If we keep letting the cities take away our rights to enjoy life and have fun at public beaches, someday we may have to pay to go on them.

Closing the fire pits does not stop the thousands of other people from burning their trash and debris - it stops us from enjoying one more thing in life.
Sparkle

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187225
Apr 7, 2013
 
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>I do love you:)
So wht then do you hate equal rights...
Sparkle

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187226
Apr 7, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>At least s.v.o.h. agrees, the arguments for same sex marriage support polygamy too. Marriage equality means same sex marriage and polygamy too. Not long until incest marriage and contract marriage come along for the party.
There is nothing wrong with polygamy ... as long as they are consenting adults.. who cares..

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187227
Apr 7, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>At least s.v.o.h. agrees, the arguments for same sex marriage support polygamy too. Marriage equality means same sex marriage and polygamy too. Not long until incest marriage and contract marriage come along for the party.
I think we already have contract marriage. People marry for money all the time, otherwise Donald Trump and that rodent living on his head would be single. All one needs are two consenting adults. Incest? That is another issue, but if both parties are consenting and of legal age, what business is it of yours?

It was common practice for sisters and brothers to marry in royalty to keep blood lines pure. No need for us commoners to spoil their lines with our inferior genes. Cleopatra VII and Ptolemy XII married after their father died and ruled Egypt. You do like tradition, don't you?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187228
Apr 7, 2013
 
Same sex marriage is just another grab at freedom, gays used to be able to cohabit without fear of suit for breach of promise. Same sex marriage forces government to treat marriage as if mother and father or husband and wife are disposable. It harms everyone including singles.

There are more important issues, like gays not being able to march in Moscow or survival in other countries.

Stop the hate.
Sparkle

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187229
Apr 7, 2013
 
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>Ij never said it was a choice, its a mental disorder
Honey your the mental disorder!!!
annoyed

Chico, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187230
Apr 7, 2013
 
I'm sure I'm not the first (I'm not interested in reading the first 163,906 posts) but it seems to me as slightly inane, that the government has ANYTHING to do with marriage.

Perhaps in the pre-1960s, before "the pill", but now it seems more and more ludicrous. With the realization anyone could partner with anyone without lasting societical "shame" or govermental approval our society changed.

Without the "they'll have babies and improve our society" rational, there's no longer a valid political reason for government influence and control.

I'd suggest the government back away from the "partner approval" process and allow marriage, between whoever, be handled by religous groups. Let the government confine themselves to the roll of servants (ever hear of "public servants?") and process paperwork (passports and such), and not make decisions about our lives.

Associated with this would be the repeal of the absurd tax breaks given to married people in the hope they'll have kids...we don't need more kids now..we need an answer to overpopulation. And this tax income should help our country out of the fiscal hole we sit in now.

Sorry if I'm just repeating what thousands may have already suggested.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187231
Apr 7, 2013
 
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
So what? If all participants are up for it, more power to 'em. Think of the benefits the kids will have, two moms and a dad or two dads and a mom. More is better right? So long as they're loved and not abused.
No Joke. It is a good thing to have an extra loving parent or two.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187232
Apr 7, 2013
 
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
How am I a bigot for staying on topic. The topic is about a judge that overturned a law. A law that has nothing to do with what you want to discuss.
I know it is hard to accept, bigot.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187233
Apr 7, 2013
 
Sparkle wrote:
<quoted text>There is nothing wrong with polygamy ... as long as they are consenting adults.. who cares..
Right! Polygamy deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex marriage.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187234
Apr 7, 2013
 
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
No point fighting them because the vast majority of human beings don't think beyond right now. They just do what is easy. Saving for something a little more expensive and of better quality, thus longer lasting isn't a priority for the impatient. We live in a disposable society. Just enjoy the landfill.
Yeah but if you can get the exact same product at Walmart for half of what the Mom and Pop sells it...

Not everybody is made of money! It's either buy it at Walmart or do without it for many people.

What would you do?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187235
Apr 7, 2013
 
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
You have something against nice teeth and long hair? I've been told I look like several celebrities. They've changed as I aged and cut my hair, Robert Plant & Roger Daltry were first (the hair was sunbleached blonde in my youth and very very long), Kenny Loggins (hair grew back darker after cutting it for grad school interview process). A few years and a hair cut later (for a job) I became Chuck Norris. And Jesus (that was one that stuck with me from teenage years to present each time my hair was long). That was hilarious. I told people to be careful as I might kick their arse instead of saving it. This was after I opened my own business and didn't have to answer to anyone about appearances. I wear it in a ponytail and cut off about a foot every three years to give to Locks of Love.
The Chuck Norris one was probably the most accurate for up close. I had a gaggle of kids follow me around a store one time giggling and hiding behind displays to get a peak at me. When I walked out they were waiting and sent the youngest one over to ask if I was Chuck Norris. Only he was a little confused and asked if I was Bruce Lee (absolutely no resemblance whatsoever). I nearly fell over with laughter. Kids can be really cruel at times, but they can be very cute and entertaining too.
Oh, I have been propositioned by gay men on a few occasions. Politely declined.
Jared isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187236
Apr 7, 2013
 
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again what's the topic? Something about gay marriage right??
Actually the topic at its root is about marriage equality.

Unfortunately your limited brain capacity doesn't afford you the opportunity to critically analyze complex topics.

Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187237
Apr 7, 2013
 
annoyed wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the first (I'm not interested in reading the first 163,906 posts) but it seems to me as slightly inane, that the government has ANYTHING to do with marriage.
Perhaps in the pre-1960s, before "the pill", but now it seems more and more ludicrous. With the realization anyone could partner with anyone without lasting societical "shame" or govermental approval our society changed.
Without the "they'll have babies and improve our society" rational, there's no longer a valid political reason for government influence and control.
I'd suggest the government back away from the "partner approval" process and allow marriage, between whoever, be handled by religous groups. Let the government confine themselves to the roll of servants (ever hear of "public servants?") and process paperwork (passports and such), and not make decisions about our lives.
Associated with this would be the repeal of the absurd tax breaks given to married people in the hope they'll have kids...we don't need more kids now..we need an answer to overpopulation. And this tax income should help our country out of the fiscal hole we sit in now.
Sorry if I'm just repeating what thousands may have already suggested.
What do you have to come here for with all that common sense and spoil it!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187238
Apr 7, 2013
 
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Jared isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
Sheesh is the best looking!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187239
Apr 7, 2013
 
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the topic at its root is about marriage equality.
Unfortunately your limited brain capacity doesn't afford you the opportunity to critically analyze complex topics.
As a battered and bruised survivor of the off topic police state of this thread, I thank you! My every mention of marriage equality for poly is SHOUTED DOWN!

Mention polygamy here and all hell breaks loose. As you know.
Tennis

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187240
Apr 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Ivo Karlovic: 6' 10"
John Isner: 6' 9" (current 2 tallest player)
Sparkle_Lilith

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187241
Apr 7, 2013
 
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
As a battered and bruised survivor of the off topic police state of this thread, I thank you! My every mention of marriage equality for poly is SHOUTED DOWN!
Mention polygamy here and all hell breaks loose. As you know.
not really... hey if some dude is crazy enough to put up with several of us hormonal biatches at one time ... more power to him
Sparkle_Lilith

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187242
Apr 7, 2013
 
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
As a battered and bruised survivor of the off topic police state of this thread, I thank you! My every mention of marriage equality for poly is SHOUTED DOWN!
Mention polygamy here and all hell breaks loose. As you know.
I for one am a needy biatch and I love finer things
Sparkle_Lilith

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187243
Apr 7, 2013
 
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>Ij never said it was a choice, its a mental disorder
Oh your referring to christianity... totally agree that is a mental disorder

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Monterey News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Monterey
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••