Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
163,621 - 163,640 of 200,593 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
annoyed

Chico, CA

#187230 Apr 7, 2013
I'm sure I'm not the first (I'm not interested in reading the first 163,906 posts) but it seems to me as slightly inane, that the government has ANYTHING to do with marriage.

Perhaps in the pre-1960s, before "the pill", but now it seems more and more ludicrous. With the realization anyone could partner with anyone without lasting societical "shame" or govermental approval our society changed.

Without the "they'll have babies and improve our society" rational, there's no longer a valid political reason for government influence and control.

I'd suggest the government back away from the "partner approval" process and allow marriage, between whoever, be handled by religous groups. Let the government confine themselves to the roll of servants (ever hear of "public servants?") and process paperwork (passports and such), and not make decisions about our lives.

Associated with this would be the repeal of the absurd tax breaks given to married people in the hope they'll have kids...we don't need more kids now..we need an answer to overpopulation. And this tax income should help our country out of the fiscal hole we sit in now.

Sorry if I'm just repeating what thousands may have already suggested.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#187231 Apr 7, 2013
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
So what? If all participants are up for it, more power to 'em. Think of the benefits the kids will have, two moms and a dad or two dads and a mom. More is better right? So long as they're loved and not abused.
No Joke. It is a good thing to have an extra loving parent or two.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#187232 Apr 7, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
How am I a bigot for staying on topic. The topic is about a judge that overturned a law. A law that has nothing to do with what you want to discuss.
I know it is hard to accept, bigot.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#187233 Apr 7, 2013
Sparkle wrote:
<quoted text>There is nothing wrong with polygamy ... as long as they are consenting adults.. who cares..
Right! Polygamy deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex marriage.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#187234 Apr 7, 2013
<quoted text>
No point fighting them because the vast majority of human beings don't think beyond right now. They just do what is easy. Saving for something a little more expensive and of better quality, thus longer lasting isn't a priority for the impatient. We live in a disposable society. Just enjoy the landfill.
Yeah but if you can get the exact same product at Walmart for half of what the Mom and Pop sells it...

Not everybody is made of money! It's either buy it at Walmart or do without it for many people.

What would you do?

Location hidden

#187235 Apr 7, 2013
<quoted text>
You have something against nice teeth and long hair? I've been told I look like several celebrities. They've changed as I aged and cut my hair, Robert Plant & Roger Daltry were first (the hair was sunbleached blonde in my youth and very very long), Kenny Loggins (hair grew back darker after cutting it for grad school interview process). A few years and a hair cut later (for a job) I became Chuck Norris. And Jesus (that was one that stuck with me from teenage years to present each time my hair was long). That was hilarious. I told people to be careful as I might kick their arse instead of saving it. This was after I opened my own business and didn't have to answer to anyone about appearances. I wear it in a ponytail and cut off about a foot every three years to give to Locks of Love.
The Chuck Norris one was probably the most accurate for up close. I had a gaggle of kids follow me around a store one time giggling and hiding behind displays to get a peak at me. When I walked out they were waiting and sent the youngest one over to ask if I was Chuck Norris. Only he was a little confused and asked if I was Bruce Lee (absolutely no resemblance whatsoever). I nearly fell over with laughter. Kids can be really cruel at times, but they can be very cute and entertaining too.
Oh, I have been propositioned by gay men on a few occasions. Politely declined.
Jared isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Location hidden

#187236 Apr 7, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again what's the topic? Something about gay marriage right??
Actually the topic at its root is about marriage equality.

Unfortunately your limited brain capacity doesn't afford you the opportunity to critically analyze complex topics.

Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#187237 Apr 7, 2013
annoyed wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the first (I'm not interested in reading the first 163,906 posts) but it seems to me as slightly inane, that the government has ANYTHING to do with marriage.
Perhaps in the pre-1960s, before "the pill", but now it seems more and more ludicrous. With the realization anyone could partner with anyone without lasting societical "shame" or govermental approval our society changed.
Without the "they'll have babies and improve our society" rational, there's no longer a valid political reason for government influence and control.
I'd suggest the government back away from the "partner approval" process and allow marriage, between whoever, be handled by religous groups. Let the government confine themselves to the roll of servants (ever hear of "public servants?") and process paperwork (passports and such), and not make decisions about our lives.
Associated with this would be the repeal of the absurd tax breaks given to married people in the hope they'll have kids...we don't need more kids now..we need an answer to overpopulation. And this tax income should help our country out of the fiscal hole we sit in now.
Sorry if I'm just repeating what thousands may have already suggested.
What do you have to come here for with all that common sense and spoil it!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#187238 Apr 7, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Jared isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
Sheesh is the best looking!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#187239 Apr 7, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the topic at its root is about marriage equality.
Unfortunately your limited brain capacity doesn't afford you the opportunity to critically analyze complex topics.
As a battered and bruised survivor of the off topic police state of this thread, I thank you! My every mention of marriage equality for poly is SHOUTED DOWN!

Mention polygamy here and all hell breaks loose. As you know.
Tennis

Covina, CA

#187240 Apr 7, 2013
Ivo Karlovic: 6' 10"
John Isner: 6' 9" (current 2 tallest player)
Sparkle_Lilith

Seattle, WA

#187241 Apr 7, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
As a battered and bruised survivor of the off topic police state of this thread, I thank you! My every mention of marriage equality for poly is SHOUTED DOWN!
not really... hey if some dude is crazy enough to put up with several of us hormonal biatches at one time ... more power to him
Sparkle_Lilith

Seattle, WA

#187242 Apr 7, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I for one am a needy biatch and I love finer things
Sparkle_Lilith

Seattle, WA

#187243 Apr 7, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>Ij never said it was a choice, its a mental disorder
Oh your referring to christianity... totally agree that is a mental disorder
Anonymous

Bristol, CT

#187244 Apr 7, 2013
Sparkle wrote:
<quoted text>So wht then do you hate equal rights...
hey sparkle:) are you liliths co worker? How's the brothel treating you, hope your keeping it clean, don't need to be spreading dizeezes:)
Anonymous

Bristol, CT

#187245 Apr 7, 2013
Sparkle_Lilith wrote:
<quoted text>Oh your referring to christianity... totally agree that is a mental disorder
no your life choice is a mental disorder:)
Anonymous

Bristol, CT

#187246 Apr 7, 2013
Nobody cares about a man with a bunch of wives in polygamous relationships, but what about a woman with a bunch of husbands?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#187247 Apr 7, 2013
Sparkle_Lilith wrote:
<quoted text>not really... hey if some dude is crazy enough to put up with several of us hormonal biatches at one time ... more power to him
And vice versa.
lilith

Seattle, WA

#187248 Apr 7, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>hey sparkle:) are you liliths co worker? How's the brothel treating you, hope your keeping it clean, don't need to be spreading dizeezes:)
Oh sorry... Sparkle is my trade name

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#187249 Apr 7, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
IT'S NOT ABOUT THE SEX!!!!!!!!!!
YES IT IS!!!!!! Other wise why would it matter who married who. C'mon Jared, think about it. Marriage, not individual ones, but the institution is about the sexes, what they do, have sex, and what that sex creates, little Jareds. That's why blood relatives, other than first cousins, are barred from marrying
It's about the rights and benefits that we are denied when we are in the same type of relationship as straight married couples.
You were married, had all those bennies, just like any other OPPOSITE SEX married couples. Let's not for get the mixed orientation OSCs.
. Medical benefits and rights of spouses, tax benefits, inheritance etc. 1,138 rights and benefits we are denied.
So u want a gov't Benny pkg with your same sex partner?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr J RULES 68,997
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 2 hr go away 5,007
clint the flint 7 hr ubietron 1
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 11 hr lazy posts 15,963
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
First City Festival 2014 Brings Ugly Rock Metal... Aug 28 JoeMama 2
Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles Aug 28 Money 1
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search