Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
163,601 - 163,620 of 200,564 Comments Last updated 15 hrs ago
Obskeptic

Sterling Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again what's the topic? Something about gay marriage right??
It's either that, or about how a single judge believes he has the right and authority to un-legislate the will of the people. It is your side that is claiming just because you have swayed public opinion over the years with your relentless campaign to redefine what is normal that where you have a majority, your side should prevail. In the places where you failed miserably to win your argument when put to the vote of the people, where the majority stands against you, then a judge should decide to grant you victory over the people. I believe they refer to that as tyranny, which is a tree that Thomas Jefferson said we have an obligation to water occasionally with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Obskeptic

Sterling Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
IT'S NOT ABOUT THE SEX!!!!!!!!!!
It's about the rights and benefits that we are denied when we are in the same type of relationship as straight married couples. Medical benefits and rights of spouses, tax benefits, inheritance etc. 1,138 rights and benefits we are denied.
Actually it is about the sex Jaredb8, and I say that because it is the principle difference between what is traditional and non-traditional. Humanity has not advanced through the centuries because of procreative abilities of the gay man or the lesbian women. It is unlikely that anyone could distinguish our sexual proclivities if we were standing next to one another, unless of course you are a flamer and its obvious. It is your sexual desires you act out on that makes us different, and your behavior contrary to what nature or God intended. I throw nature in there because God is nothing to most of you, as you have decide you are God.
Rats Bas

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Two Glendora, California City Meetings Cancelled

The scheduled meetings for the planning and community services commissions have been canceled.
Jeff

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
IT'S NOT ABOUT THE SEX!!!!!!!!!!
It's about the rights and benefits that we are denied when we are in the same type of relationship as straight married couples. Medical benefits and rights of spouses, tax benefits, inheritance etc. 1,138 rights and benefits we are denied.
Are you willing to give these rights and benefits to polygamist also? They also should have the right to marry as would members of families marrying each other should have if same sex marriage law passes.
Anonymous

Bristol, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Jaredb8 wrote:
If anyone on here is still ignorant enough to think being gay is a choice try this. Choose to be gay for a while you will see that you can't. You should be able to if its as simple and choosing to turn right or left at a stop sign. Go ahead choose to be gay for a week. This will prove to all of you that it's not a choice.
Ij never said it was a choice, its a mental disorder
Anonymous

Bristol, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a little insulting to us that you find our situation amusing.
I'm guessing that if the shoe were on the other foot--if someone tried to deny your rights to bear arms or worship in the way you feel appropriate, you'd be on here trying to change minds, just like us.
And I'm guessing that you would get frustrated and angry if anyone made fun of your situation.
We're not here for your entertainment.
In some of your posts you indicate that you are a Christian person. Your words and actions are not those of Christ.
Here's a little tip... Before you get ready to hit the "post comment" button below, ask yourself, "Is this something that Christ would say? Is this how he wanted us to act when he commanded us to "love your neighbor as you love yourself"?
I do love you:)
Anonymous

Bristol, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
Get a job at MalWart and get back to us. Oh, and try to buy a Huffy bicycle made in the US. You'll have to use eBay and find an old one though. MalWart killed off the last bicycle factory on US soil. As much as some folks think we don't need manufacturing jobs there are large numbers of folks that could use them. I also have fond memories of someone showing me a pair of nail clippers they'd purchased for their dog. I didn't know metal could be made to be so soft. They had all the strength of American cheese single slices. Capitalism with out soul or conscience, that should be MalWart's slogan.
I find it convenient:) Yeah they suck the business from small business owners but walmart is huge no sense in fighting them!
Supreme Court Victor

Justice, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

GBLT have to make YouTube videos about their fake Constitutional right to go along with their YouTubes about how to make a knock-off Chick Fil A sandwich.

Nothing beats the real thing.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
So, if marriage to another man is marriage equality for gays and marriage to another woman is marriage equality for lesbians then marriage to another man and another woman is marriage equality for bisuexuals, right? Then, if we change marriage law based on orientation then polygamy must be legalized. That's not good.
So what? If all participants are up for it, more power to 'em. Think of the benefits the kids will have, two moms and a dad or two dads and a mom. More is better right? So long as they're loved and not abused.
Supreme Court Victor

Justice, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Chick Fil A also is winning: KFC at this point has nothing left to lose and like Rose is going completely boneless.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>I find it convenient:) Yeah they suck the business from small business owners but walmart is huge no sense in fighting them!
No point fighting them because the vast majority of human beings don't think beyond right now. They just do what is easy. Saving for something a little more expensive and of better quality, thus longer lasting isn't a priority for the impatient. We live in a disposable society. Just enjoy the landfill.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

sheesh void of hate wrote:
So what? If all participants are up for it, more power to 'em. Think of the benefits the kids will have, two moms and a dad or two dads and a mom. More is better right? So long as they're loved and not abused.
At least s.v.o.h. agrees, the arguments for same sex marriage support polygamy too. Marriage equality means same sex marriage and polygamy too. Not long until incest marriage and contract marriage come along for the party.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>

2. I'd say there is homosexual pedophilia and heterosexual pedophilia. I also think there are homosexuals and heterosexuals who take advantage of minors. To deny either of those facts is to leave children vulnerable. You do so to excuse homosexuals. Despicable.
The people who take advantage of children are ephebophiles, hebephiles, and pedophiles. Homosexuals and heterosexuals tend to be attracted to age appropriate partners. At least the ones I know. Sure, you'll get some blurring of the lines. I know a guy who will only date girs in their 20s. He's in his 50s now. I can't imagine what hell that is. Maybe he is just immature and never made it out of his 20s. I suppose his income bracket helps. It just limits him to the shallow end of the pool though.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I look like Bruce Willis. Smirk and everything.
Smile.
When he's constipated?
Beaches

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Public rights eroding over time!

So far the cities who claim to own the beaches have taken away almost everything you can do on them - no smoking, no drinking, now no fire pits. What's the sense in going to the beach at night if you can't have the fire pits?

If we keep letting the cities take away our rights to enjoy life and have fun at public beaches, someday we may have to pay to go on them.

Closing the fire pits does not stop the thousands of other people from burning their trash and debris - it stops us from enjoying one more thing in life.
Sparkle

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>I do love you:)
So wht then do you hate equal rights...
Sparkle

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>At least s.v.o.h. agrees, the arguments for same sex marriage support polygamy too. Marriage equality means same sex marriage and polygamy too. Not long until incest marriage and contract marriage come along for the party.
There is nothing wrong with polygamy ... as long as they are consenting adults.. who cares..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>At least s.v.o.h. agrees, the arguments for same sex marriage support polygamy too. Marriage equality means same sex marriage and polygamy too. Not long until incest marriage and contract marriage come along for the party.
I think we already have contract marriage. People marry for money all the time, otherwise Donald Trump and that rodent living on his head would be single. All one needs are two consenting adults. Incest? That is another issue, but if both parties are consenting and of legal age, what business is it of yours?

It was common practice for sisters and brothers to marry in royalty to keep blood lines pure. No need for us commoners to spoil their lines with our inferior genes. Cleopatra VII and Ptolemy XII married after their father died and ruled Egypt. You do like tradition, don't you?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Same sex marriage is just another grab at freedom, gays used to be able to cohabit without fear of suit for breach of promise. Same sex marriage forces government to treat marriage as if mother and father or husband and wife are disposable. It harms everyone including singles.

There are more important issues, like gays not being able to march in Moscow or survival in other countries.

Stop the hate.
Sparkle

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>Ij never said it was a choice, its a mental disorder
Honey your the mental disorder!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 20 min JOEL 68,922
My fears for Doris Day: Confidante who spent 40... (Oct '13) 1 hr marti eton square 4
clint 20 hr ubietron 1
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 22 hr Donny B 7,922
Mills brothers face new lawsuits over loans (Nov '08) Tue Plain Simple 16
clint Tue ubietron 1
MONTEREY HERALD LOSS monterey bay, monterey cit... Tue roensoledad 2
•••
•••
Monterey Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Monterey Jobs