Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,148

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#186742 Apr 5, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I donít have an frustration except I keep making the mistake of overestimating your reasoning capacity.
Do I have to explain it to you again? I would vote in favor of Poly marriage, I have not been arguing against it at all, you cannot separate in your pea brain discussion about an issue regarding it and the actual position.
You are like a village idiot with one foot nailed to the floor, running in circles and donít know what to do.
But while you run around in circles, more and more states and nations are recognizing same sex marriage. Hope that makes you happy as you claim it does.
It's like someone saying oh hell yeah, I support SSM even though homosexuals will use it to commit their crimes of welfare fraud and child molestation. Look in the news there was a case of it in Utah.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#186743 Apr 5, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
The key word misused here is "always". Simply because it was done in the past, doesn't automatically mean it shouldn't be done now, or should be. If SSM is such a hot idea, why having societies, across time and place, incorporated it into their societal structures? Why didn't it naturally develop alongside of both monogamous, and polygamous, opposite sex marriage?
Why is it so important to base this issue on history?

I can easily go back and find that major cultures and society utilized slavery from beginning to end. It's still an issue today--some 27,000,000 people are estimated to be enslaved today around the world.

But OUR society--our country--DOES NOT condone slavery.

If we were creating policy based on what history supported, then (using your argument) there should be legalized slavery in the U.S. today.

You cannot base your arguments about how gays have been treated throughout history as an argument for how we should be treated today.

We have modern medical findings and contemporary beliefs about gays and lesbians. THAT should be the basis for how we go forward.

Same-sex marriage SHOULD BE based on its own merits--not on how history has treated the matter.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#186744 Apr 5, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure you'd vote for those sick fundies "using polygamy to commit their crimes like child molesting and welfare fraud", we believe you Big D!
and he keeps running around in a circle LOL

You arent getting anywhere Frankie.... Same Sex marriage continues to go forward.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#186745 Apr 5, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is scared to death over same sex marriage, drama queen. What are the latest percentages of people who support it? Does that look like Americans being scared to death of it?
Oh yes they are, have you not seen them post here, frightened down to their socks.

Americans arenít of course, patriotic Americans are for freedom equality and justice, it is those that have a private little rule book that has nothing to do with US law that are acting like frightened little children.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#186746 Apr 5, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I can easily go back and find that major cultures and society utilized slavery from beginning to end. It's still an issue today--some 27,000,000 people are estimated to be enslaved today around the world.
If we were creating policy based on what history supported, then (using your argument) there should be legalized slavery in the U.S. today.
You cannot base your arguments about how gays have been treated throughout history as an argument for how we should be treated today.
We have modern medical findings and contemporary beliefs about gays and lesbians. THAT should be the basis for how we go forward.
Same-sex marriage SHOULD BE based on its own merits--not on how history has treated the matter.
Are they on history again? Do they want to burn witches?

Protestants?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#186747 Apr 5, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes they are, have you not seen them post here, frightened down to their socks.
Americans arenít of course, patriotic Americans are for freedom equality and justice, it is those that have a private little rule book that has nothing to do with US law that are acting like frightened little children.
"...frightened little children."

Too funny!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#186748 Apr 5, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
and he keeps running around in a circle LOL
You arent getting anywhere Frankie.... Same Sex marriage continues to go forward.
The tired old Mighty D straw man, "you're not really for what you're arguing for, prove to me you're sincere instead of the topic so I can try to win"
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#186749 Apr 5, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#186750 Apr 5, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, they are desperately trying to preserve the sanctity of Britney Spears "just for fun" 3 day marriage.
My marriage is not a failure, come same sex marriage or not, I donít see any reason not to deny you the same rights, privileges, recognition and yes... the word... that my wife and I have.
18,000 same sex marriages in California didnít hurt my marriage at all, not sure why their marriages are so fragile that it would hurt theirs. Maybe they should be focused on why their own marriages are so fragile rather than worry about what others are doing.
Its because they weren't real silly.

Smile.

Location hidden

#186751 Apr 5, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not basing anything on gays, I'm basing history and science on marriage.

ss couples cannot qualify or equate.

Smile.

Location hidden

#186752 Apr 5, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Are they on history again? Do they want to burn witches?
Protestants?
Do you want to throw Christians to the lions? Burn them on the stake?

Smile.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#186753 Apr 5, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Its because they weren't real silly.
Smile.
Not only were they, they still are

18,000 legally married and recognized same sex marriages today in California
Big D

Modesto, CA

#186754 Apr 5, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you want to throw Christians to the lions? Burn them on the stake?
Smile.
That is what we do if we get all our values from history
Anonymous

Becket, MA

#186755 Apr 5, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, I take it you have never been off the farm and only know what your parents tell you
No I just know what I see. And I've never seen a masculine gay man. Ever!

Since: Apr 13

Bellevue, WA

#186756 Apr 5, 2013
Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>No I just know what I see. And I've never seen a masculine gay man. Ever!
why do you hate america

Location hidden

#186757 Apr 5, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only were they, they still are
18,000 legally married and recognized same sex marriages today in California
They can't be. It is impossible.

It is visibly obvious they are only ever a senselessly duplicated half of marriage. A desecration of sacred design. A barren imposter relationship that is always a devastating deprivation of family imposed on a child for the sake of an illusion. A violent imitation of sexual intimacy.

There is nothing, at any level that equates a ss couple to marriage.

Smile.

Location hidden

#186758 Apr 5, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what we do if we get all our values from history
Hardly, that is what we do if we ignore the lessons of history.

Smile.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#186759 Apr 5, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
History serves a guide. Why haven't we seen, other than a few scattered historical examples of recognized same sex unions, SSM before?
Slavery?
The issue before us is how society/state defines marriage. Why haven't societies in the past organized themselves around the concept of marriage as a union of two persons regardless of gender composition?
The concept of a "gay" identity is relatively new, and I believe a western idea. SSSB occurred in ancient Rome, but they didn't slap rainbow bumper stickers on their chariots.
We have modern medical findings and contemporary beliefs about gays and lesbians.
Medical findings which are inconclusive. SSSB us not new, equating it with marriage, is.
THAT should be the basis for how we go forward.
Merits, or lack there of. Clearly there are reasons that despite the presence, acceptance, and/or celebration of, SSSB, among various societies in the past, it did not necessarily result in SSM. Such reasons should be considered before our society fundamentally alters a key component of society with state recognition. The needs of the many, out weigh the needs of the few.

Since: Apr 13

Bellevue, WA

#186760 Apr 5, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
They can't be. It is impossible.
It is visibly obvious they are only ever a senselessly duplicated half of marriage. A desecration of sacred design. A barren imposter relationship that is always a devastating deprivation of family imposed on a child for the sake of an illusion. A violent imitation of sexual intimacy.
There is nothing, at any level that equates a ss couple to marriage.
Smile.
why are you a faccist communist

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#186761 Apr 5, 2013
Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Incest really you went there? You are the ones saying its a man and a woman that's 2 right.
You are the that wrote this: " No 2 PEOPLE should have anyone tell them they can't be together based on race or gender or any other reason or difference." Not me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 70,988
Carmel River diverted to allow dam removal, pre... Tue Clint 1
Calif. cop may be fired for giving suicidal stu... Dec 13 John Smith 1
Kristen Scannell Saratoga Springs NY Adds New H... Dec 12 Alex Montgomery 1
Who do you think is the MOST corrupt Monterey C... Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? Dec 9 montereyusedtobenice 5
Help! In need of opiates preferably boi Dec 5 Njp9080 1
Monterey Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web