Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
162,341 - 162,360 of 200,602 Comments Last updated 11 hrs ago
Anonymous

Nassau, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
My dear, if God were handing out punishments for "blasphemies", you and I would have been struck dead long ago.
Do you remember a little story about how Christ died for our sins, so that we may be saved through His grace? Look it up sometime...
You nor I have the ability to determine how someone else's behavior or beliefs will be judged. Only God knows.
That's why there's quite a bit of emphasis put on "not judging others" in scripture.
Lighten up a little. Back off. If you don't support same-gender marriage, then state your case and move on.
There's no need to get all worked up over it and start pretending to know God's intentions.
Look it up it clearly says a man shall not lye with another man! Yes Jesus died for our sins but I think you are justifying this a little too much! It's like me saying it's okay I can go commite a murder but I'll be okay as long I confess my sins because that's what jesus died for! Marriage is HOLY matramony, and when you wed gays, that's like lieing under oath!
Anonymous

Nassau, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Country-girl22 said "pack fudge" and "munch carpets". Tee hee hee.
Yeah, is that funny!

Since: Mar 12

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>Look it up it clearly says a man shall not lye with another man! Yes Jesus died for our sins but I think you are justifying this a little too much! It's like me saying it's okay I can go commite a murder but I'll be okay as long I confess my sins because that's what jesus died for! Marriage is HOLY matramony, and when you wed gays, that's like lieing under oath!
You keep quoting a fictional book. It also talks of slaves and gang rape of virgins. Do you believe all of it or just the things that are convenient for you??

“Dont hate cuz u aint me”

Since: Dec 09

Lynwood

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

So wat up

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>So you were being sarcastic. Good lord I hope so! Marriage equality?, Marriage is between a man, woman and God for the final time! If people want to munch carpets, and pack fudge do so on your own filthy time please leave God out of it, it is a slap in his face!
If marriage is strictly a religious thing why do you need a marriage license issued by the government and why are divorces settled in court by lawyers? Why can you get married by a priest but also by a judge, mayor or many other government employees? Why do they say by the power vested in me by the state of _______??? All of these things prove it's a civil matter not religious. If you can't see that you are just dumb. You can have your beliefs but don't impose your will upon others. If your beliefs and faith are hat get you by that should be enough for you. Don't hold others from having their own beliefs. That's what this country is about freedom.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>And the nice things is that no one will have to marry.
Would you argue that since many black people disapprove of interracial marriage, that the laws banning it should have been left in place?
At least try to make a logical argument.
Not "Ohhh Ohhh, I Googled me a gay person who doesn't like other gay people marrying!!!!"
Geesh.
Prove that marriage is harmful to the gay couples and families involved, or prove that married gay couples are harmful to society.
Or stop posting silly things.
One of the major problems with such bans is that they only ban some racial combinations not all. Every marriage applicant would have to be racially classified prior to granting of a marriage license. How is one who is a product of two or more races, to be classified. There are only two sexes, each is needed in order to make more.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the prom queen for the illiterate generation.
<quoted text>
Soooo, you're putting the boys up for adoption then?
<quoted text>
Yup, illiterate AND uninformed. Inbreeding doesn't mean the offspring will be born with three legs and no brain. Not that I find it appealing.
"Not that I find it appealing." - Cultural conditioning.

How about this scenario. A brother and sister who never knew each other fall in love not knowing they are related. They later find out. What should they do?

Incest marriage should be allowed. It will be so extremely rare that it's almost guaranteed those against it will never have to be offended by the sight of a happy incestuous family.

Same with consensual adult poly marriage. Won't hurt anyone. Those against it will probably never have to be offended by the sight of a happy poly family.
Anonymous

Nassau, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
If marriage is strictly a religious thing why do you need a marriage license issued by the government and why are divorces settled in court by lawyers? Why can you get married by a priest but also by a judge, mayor or many other government employees? Why do they say by the power vested in me by the state of _______??? All of these things prove it's a civil matter not religious. If you can't see that you are just dumb. You can have your beliefs but don't impose your will upon others. If your beliefs and faith are hat get you by that should be enough for you. Don't hold others from having their own beliefs. That's what this country is about freedom.
Because times have changed. God and Jesus are no longer household names, nobody cares! Everything is a civil/government issue. Yeah I don't agree with everything the bible says, I have my questions. But seriously get real people. If you are'nt gay or les. Whatever, are you going to tell me it doesn't bother you to see 2 guys making out going crazy on eachother in front of you. I'm sure it does! You know that uncomftorable feeling you get in your stomach, those are'nt hunger pains, you know deep down ITS WRONG!!
Anonymous

Nassau, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
"Not that I find it appealing." - Cultural conditioning.
How about this scenario. A brother and sister who never knew each other fall in love not knowing they are related. They later find out. What should they do?
Incest marriage should be allowed. It will be so extremely rare that it's almost guaranteed those against it will never have to be offended by the sight of a happy incestuous family.
Same with consensual adult poly marriage. Won't hurt anyone. Those against it will probably never have to be offended by the sight of a happy poly family.
What is it with you and incest dude. Should I be reading between the lines here! You keep trying to justify it and I can't tell if this is sarcasm or if you're being serious!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep quoting a fictional book. It also talks of slaves and gang rape of virgins. Do you believe all of it or just the things that are convenient for you??
First, its not a single book, but rather a collection of different types of writtings, letters, poetry, laws, history, etc. "ta biblia".

Second, it is not all fiction.

Third, it was written over a 1500 give or take year period by different authors, in different times and places, and in several languages.

Lastly your view can be just as ignorant as someone who takes it literally.

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>Look it up it clearly says a man shall not lye with another man! Yes Jesus died for our sins but I think you are justifying this a little too much! It's like me saying it's okay I can go commite a murder but I'll be okay as long I confess my sins because that's what jesus died for! Marriage is HOLY matramony, and when you wed gays, that's like lieing under oath!
Your bible also prohibits tattoos, eating ham or using a pigskin football, getting remarried after divorce, rounded haircuts, men missing testicals from entering a church, psychics, gossip, women speaking in the house of god, cursing at your parents, eating shellfish, working on the sabbath, and losing your virginity before marriage. If you want to follow your little book maybe you should focus on everything in it not just gays that want to be happy.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the point of the license. Why does it matter who marries who?

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>Because times have changed. God and Jesus are no longer household names, nobody cares! Everything is a civil/government issue. Yeah I don't agree with everything the bible says, I have my questions. But seriously get real people. If you are'nt gay or les. Whatever, are you going to tell me it doesn't bother you to see 2 guys making out going crazy on eachother in front of you. I'm sure it does! You know that uncomftorable feeling you get in your stomach, those are'nt hunger pains, you know deep down ITS WRONG!!
Well PDA of straights isn't what I want to see either. Their are limits as to how far any couple should go in public. So if you don't agree with everything in the bible why is this one thing you choose to believe?? Just because it makes you feel icky? Really are u kidding me. Maybe we should ban spiders and snakes then too. How ridiculous

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>What is the point of the license. Why does it matter who marries who?
It shows that it's a legal contract. Government decisions on issues are supposed to be based on the constitution not religion.

Milwaukee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>First, its not a single book, but rather a collection of different types of writtings, letters, poetry, laws, history, etc. "ta biblia".

Second, it is not all fiction.

Third, it was written over a 1500 give or take year period by different authors, in different times and places, and in several languages.

Lastly your view can be just as ignorant as someone who takes it literally.
So you admit some is fiction? Most is opinion. It takes the views and opinions of many and expects people to follow like sheep. Logically that just sounds stupid. Why do I believe something because someone told me to? Really that's their basis? Think for yourselves people. Women couldn't vote that was wrong blacks couldn't do almost anything that was wrong interracial marriage was illegal that was wrong. We should all be treated as equals including gays.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>What is it with you and incest dude. Should I be reading between the lines here! You keep trying to justify it and I can't tell if this is sarcasm or if you're being serious!
My sister is SMOKIN' HOT!

But she's very religious and won't have sex before marriage. What does Jesus say I should do?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Country-Girl22 wrote:
Did you really just compare same-gender marriage to murder? Seriously?

Homosexuality was one of 613 laws that the ancient Hebrews felt violated God's rules. And keep in mind, when they decided it was a law, the Hebrews were trying to grow their population. Obviously they felt that any behavior that didn't add to their numbers should be outlawed.

Christ's birth, life, death, and resurrection saved us from the ancient law.

When asked what is the most important law, Christ said, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.

See... There's nothing about "homosexuality" in there...

If you commit murder, then you're not loving your neighbor as you love yourself.

And if you look at the top 10 (commandments), you'll not see "homosexuality". You WILL, however, find murder.

Try to get some perspective.

I have faith in you, country girl. I want to have a respectful conversation with you.

If you could find it in yourself to stop focusing on what is a very small aspect of our lives (not to mention something that is none of anyone's business), then you'll probably be able to accept us on some level.

I don't know what you do in bedroom. For all I know you swing from the chandeliers. But it's none of my business. I don't want to know about it. And I certainly am not going to pass judgment on you.

A little mutual respect goes a long way.

Now let's try to work this out and find some common ground.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the point of the license. Why does it matter who marries who?
Government perks. If they all went away, and they should, we'd quickly see marriage lose it's importance for many if not most people.

As far as end of life issues and all that, a simple contract with someone you trust will do fine.

It's tax time. Boy would I like to check another box besides "single". So would my girlfriend. But neither of us wants to get married.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Jaredb8 wrote:
<quoted text>
It shows that it's a legal contract. Government decisions on issues are supposed to be based on the constitution not religion.
Please answer the questions.

1.). Why does marriage need to be licensed?

2.). Why does it matter who marries who?
Pesto Sides

La Puente, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

The pesto limits can be found here: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Monterey Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search