Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
162,321 - 162,340 of 200,361 Comments Last updated 5 hrs ago
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Mention polygamy on a so called marriage equality thread and all hell breaks loose!

WOO-HOOO! Always livens up the joint.

Hypocrites.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>When several states have already abandoned the notion that marriage is restricted to heterosexuals, I fail to see the logic in continuing to restrict it to monogamists.
Tell you the logic in it? Is there some kind of all-or-nothing "logic rule" in your universe? Because 'A' happened, I fail to see why 'B' shouldn't happen. When you take your car to get an oil change, do you think it's logical for the service tech to re-upholster the interior of your car?
So marriage isn't restricted to heterosexuals anymore. So.
Heterosexuals can still marry. Nobody's gonna make you marry someone of the same sex. Only one thing changes. Same sex couples can marry. Marriage stays the same, except it is available to more taxpaying legal couples. Legal couples who pay MORE taxes then similarly situated hetero couples do now.
That said, to reason that the number of people permitted to enter a marriage should also change is illogical. Here: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
Can you pick which fallacy it is?
hint: there are several
If the gender part of "one man one woman" is arbitrary and discriminatory, so is the number part.

Marriage is good for society. Even marriages you disapprove of. Lucky for them you're not the queen.

You are a hypocrite. No different from the people you hate.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
I'm gonna go play Wii with my brother's kids.
Who cares?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing is more 'personal' than insulting your logic, is it?
I'm done.
I'm not playing this insane 'tape' again with you. I can clearly see your nuts.
spelling intended.
They're nice eh? Not for boys though!

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's more correct to say, "The movement associated with Harvey Milk's death is important to the LGBT community".
I lived in San Francisco from 1994 to 2009. There were several places named for Harvey Milk. And now I understand that there is a movement to have SFO (the airport) named in his honor.
I don't really have a problem with it.
I hardly worship the man. I've never seen the movie "Milk" (though I often watched it being filmed as I took the 24 Divisadero bus to work in the morning).
As I've pointed out earlier, JFK, MLK Jr, FDR, and other luminaries of our past were not very nice men--many of them womanizers. And yet we've found a way to gloss over that fact and focus on their impact on society.
I don't think it's fair for you to suggest that gays look to a "pedophile" as their hero. I think you know that.
Maybe you're trying to be sensationalistic.
JFK, MLK Jr, FDR, and other luminaries of our past did not break the law having sex with an underage person. Movies don't make my history.

Since: Mar 13

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

what Curtis implied I am impressed that a mother able to make $4178 in one month on the internet. did you look at this web link =======bit90.com=======
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares? it's primarily only anti-gay activists who promote it.
And you only use it as a straw man. They can't come up with any rational reasons to prevent TWO gay people from marrying in the same manner that TWO straight people ALREADY do, so they try to change the argument.
In reality, you would be horrified if someone used your positive arguments in favor of polygamy to actually fight to make it legal.
You're dead wrong. People I love dearly are in same sex marriages. I gave my niece and her lovely bride a down payment on a house last year in pricey NY city. I love them both dearly. Got drunk at their wedding. Gay weddings are the best! I have dinner often with my next door neighbors a gay couple in their 70's. I wish all of them only the best. I served in combat with a gay man whose bravery saved my life. We're still friends some 40 years later he's not married but in a 20 year relationship. We get together often. I wish all these people only the best.

I truly believe same sex couples, polygamists and yes, even incest couples should have marriage equality. Marriage is good for society. Even marriages you disapprove of.

You, like many others here have no real argument against poly. So you accuse me of homophobia and lying and other dodges to avoid revealing your hypocrisy.

Happy Easter Fruitcake.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
I did?
Mkay...
You do realize we can scroll back to the posts and read them, right? Show me where I wrote that. I can't find it....
Oh come on you and I both know that's your standard answer every time I ask why you are against poly or incest marriage.

You're such a liar. And never any substance. Just looking for a weakness to attack. Nasty. Yuck!

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>JFK, MLK Jr, FDR, and other luminaries of our past did not break the law having sex with an underage person. Movies don't make my history.
The good republican, Strom Thurmond, had intercourse with a minor--a 15 year old black child. He was 23 at the time. And yet he is the longest serving senator in history.

And when are you just going to admit that you are simply trying to "kill the messenger"?

Harvey Milk was a scumbag... Big deal...

Does that mean the entire LGBT movement should be invalidated?

He's not our leader. We have had many leaders throughout our history.

Everybody has skeletons in their closets. Doesn't mean their message was wrong.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>When several states have already abandoned the notion that marriage is restricted to heterosexuals, I fail to see the logic in continuing to restrict it to monogamists.
Tell you the logic in it? Is there some kind of all-or-nothing "logic rule" in your universe? Because 'A' happened, I fail to see why 'B' shouldn't happen. When you take your car to get an oil change, do you think it's logical for the service tech to re-upholster the interior of your car?
So marriage isn't restricted to heterosexuals anymore. So.
Heterosexuals can still marry. Nobody's gonna make you marry someone of the same sex. Only one thing changes. Same sex couples can marry. Marriage stays the same, except it is available to more taxpaying legal couples. Legal couples who pay MORE taxes then similarly situated hetero couples do now.
That said, to reason that the number of people permitted to enter a marriage should also change is illogical. Here: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
Can you pick which fallacy it is?
hint: there are several
http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/marriage.pdf

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
The good republican, Strom Thurmond, had intercourse with a minor--a 15 year old black child. He was 23 at the time. And yet he is the longest serving senator in history.
And when are you just going to admit that you are simply trying to "kill the messenger"?
Harvey Milk was a scumbag... Big deal...
Does that mean the entire LGBT movement should be invalidated?
He's not our leader. We have had many leaders throughout our history.
Everybody has skeletons in their closets. Doesn't mean their message was wrong.
I agree, never said the LGBT movement had anything to do with his past crimes. Just some of our so called hero's should not be on Public buildings.
Anonymous

Littleton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Modern science has found the medical reasons for the prohibition of incest procreation have been greatly exaggerated.
Also procreation is irrelevant to marriage in this century, right?
I am a New York resident. I can legally marry my first cousin in NY. Why can't I marry my sister?
I am a New York resident too, I live in western NY. I haven't heard that it is legal to marry your first cousin. But back to discussion, inbred people do to have disabilities mentally and physically! There are amish folk who live in the next town over who are paying men to breed their women because they are all too closely related, they are being born with genetic abnormalities due to the identity of the chromosomes. They have F.A.S physical features and most have aspergers syndrome! This for sure is not something that is being over exaggerated. Why don't you start testing the theory see how it pans out for you and your Genetically grotesque offspring!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>I am a New York resident too, I live in western NY. I haven't heard that it is legal to marry your first cousin. But back to discussion, inbred people do to have disabilities mentally and physically! There are amish folk who live in the next town over who are paying men to breed their women because they are all too closely related, they are being born with genetic abnormalities due to the identity of the chromosomes. They have F.A.S physical features and most have aspergers syndrome! This for sure is not something that is being over exaggerated. Why don't you start testing the theory see how it pans out for you and your Genetically grotesque offspring!
Nice!

No thanks. I don't want to sex up my sister, toots. Just want to discuss marriage equality.
Anonymous

Littleton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Modern science has found the medical reasons for the prohibition of incest procreation have been greatly exaggerated.
Also procreation is irrelevant to marriage in this century, right?
I am a New York resident. I can legally marry my first cousin in NY. Why can't I marry my sister?
Also it's like God's way of punishing the degenerates of whome practice such blasphemies!
Anonymous

Littleton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice!
No thanks. I don't want to sex up my sister, toots. Just want to discuss marriage equality.
So you were being sarcastic. Good lord I hope so! Marriage equality?, Marriage is between a man, woman and God for the final time! If people want to munch carpets, and pack fudge do so on your own filthy time please leave God out of it, it is a slap in his face!
Riding Style

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Bareback or blanket?

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>Also it's like God's way of punishing the degenerates of whome practice such blasphemies!
My dear, if God were handing out punishments for "blasphemies", you and I would have been struck dead long ago.

Do you remember a little story about how Christ died for our sins, so that we may be saved through His grace? Look it up sometime...

You nor I have the ability to determine how someone else's behavior or beliefs will be judged. Only God knows.

That's why there's quite a bit of emphasis put on "not judging others" in scripture.

Lighten up a little. Back off. If you don't support same-gender marriage, then state your case and move on.

There's no need to get all worked up over it and start pretending to know God's intentions.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>So you were being sarcastic. Good lord I hope so! Marriage equality?, Marriage is between a man, woman and God for the final time! If people want to munch carpets, and pack fudge do so on your own filthy time please leave God out of it, it is a slap in his face!
Do you think you glorify God by getting on here and saying such things? Seriously... I think you're doing yourself and God a disservice when you're so angry and use such foul language.
Houell

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

You'll could never find a better neighbor than the Air Force, it was a great community,

A former Myrtle Beach city councilman who helped lead efforts to redevelop the base after its March 31, 1993 closure.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

Country-Girl22 wrote:
<quoted text>So you were being sarcastic. Good lord I hope so! Marriage equality?, Marriage is between a man, woman and God for the final time! If people want to munch carpets, and pack fudge do so on your own filthy time please leave God out of it, it is a slap in his face!
Country-girl22 said "pack fudge" and "munch carpets". Tee hee hee.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••