Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,096)

Showing posts 161,901 - 161,920 of200,230
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Ronald...

So-called Christians have been claiming that mankind has been on a downward spiral for eons.

In college I took two classes, "The History of the South" and "Black History". And before you jump to conclusions, I went to a southern Baptist college in TN. The class was taught by an 80 year old Baptist minister from South Carolina.

Anyhow, he talked about how southern segregationists and slave owners used to go to church, where their pastors would preach about how God supported the separation of races and supported slavery. They would pull out that one verse from Ephesians, "Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters".

Exodus and Deuteronomy was also used to preach against integration. In these books from the Bible, God commanded the Israelites to have nothing to do with any other group of people--commanding them to not marry anyone of a different race or belief system.

Fast forward to the present day, where we DO NOT practice slavery and segregation in this nation. These ideas are repugnant to even the most staunch Christian. Yet, for thousands of years, they were THE LAW of ancient mankind.

So what changed? Did God change His mind? Or did mankind reinterpret God's commandments? Or is this just an example of how you suggest that mankind has been in a downward spiral?

There are so many things that we do today that the ancient Hebrew nation would find sinful and even worthy of death.

Our diets, our cleansing rituals, the place of women in society, our day of worship (the Jews believe the Sabbath begins on Friday evening at sundown and ends on Saturday evening at sundown)--these have all changed from the ancient laws.

So again, I'll ask you; what happened? Did God change His mind? Did mankind reinterpret God's commandments? How did these huge changes come about?

I have several thoughts...

1.) I think we do a disservice to God when we try to encapsulate His majesty into laws found in the Books of the Bible. He is GREATER than any book--greater than all books ever written.
These books and stories describe Him and His relationship with mankind. They attempt to give us some understanding of Him.

2.) If you do look throughout the Books of the Bible, I think you'll see that God has changed His mind several times. You'll see that He created mankind, only to wipe them off the face of the planet in the great flood. Then, perhaps in his biggest change, He sent His son to die for our sins, so that we may be forgiven through grace and not abide by 613 laws found in the Old Testament.

3.) I believe that current Christian faith relies to heavily on the Books of the Bible to understand God and relies VERY little on one's personal relationship with God through the Holy Spirit. What God may want for you may not be what God wants for me. The journey He sets you on, is likely not going to be the same journey He sets me on.

4.) I pray to God for guidance. I refer to the Books of the Bible on occasion. However, the majority of my faith is based in my relationship with God. And that has helped me as I live my life.

I FIRMLY believe that God meant for me to be gay. I have no idea why this is. I certainly didn't ask to be gay. It wasn't my intention. And I fought it tooth and nail throughout my youth and into young adulthood.
You have no idea the number of hours I spent praying for God to change me. I BEGGED him to intervene. But nothing happened. I felt totally abandoned.

Then one day it occurred to me that I was praying to ask God for what "I" wanted. I'd never once prayed for what God wanted. And so I did that. I literally said, "Thy will be done."

God responded to me by His spirit. He left no doubt that He had created me exactly as He meant to. He wanted me to go forward and be happy.

Not sure that I answered your question, but maybe this will give you some insight as to why me and millions of gay Christians around the world believe as we do. I hope it helps.
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Swap out same gendered marriage for plural marriage, still the same. Bigotry against polygamy is still bigotry.
so then why are you against gay marrige??

you should be FOR the rights of others, if you everntually want those rights bestowed upon you.

its called karma.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Swap out same gendered marriage for plural marriage, still the same. Bigotry against polygamy is still bigotry.
I guess that depends on your perspective... Shall I put you down as firmly in favor of plural marriages?

As far as I'm concerned, polygamists will need to fight their own battle. It's not one that I intend to wade into.

The only issue that I'm concerned about right now is same-gender marriage.

If at some point down the line there is a fight in the courts for plural marriage rights, then we'll just have to see how that goes down.

It's just not on my radar.
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what's going to floor them is when they learn that the person who spoke so eloquently about same-sex marriage being an inevitability was none other than Rush Limbaugh.
BILL o'rielly and limbaugh, both sort of "ennhanced" their positions..

esp bill......he said he is "just not passionate" about this topic anymore.

in other words...

their side lost, and BIll was smart enough to figure that out...

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
Ronald...
So-called Christians have been claiming that mankind has been on a downward spiral for eons.
In college I took two classes, "The History of the South" and "Black History". And before you jump to conclusions, I went to a southern Baptist college in TN. The class was taught by an 80 year old Baptist minister from South Carolina.
Anyhow, he talked about how southern segregationists and slave owners used to go to church, where their pastors would preach about how God supported the separation of races and supported slavery. They would pull out that one verse from Ephesians, "Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters".
Exodus and Deuteronomy was also used to preach against integration. In these books from the Bible, God commanded the Israelites to have nothing to do with any other group of people--commanding them to not marry anyone of a different race or belief system.
Fast forward to the present day, where we DO NOT practice slavery and segregation in this nation. These ideas are repugnant to even the most staunch Christian. Yet, for thousands of years, they were THE LAW of ancient mankind.
So what changed? Did God change His mind? Or did mankind reinterpret God's commandments? Or is this just an example of how you suggest that mankind has been in a downward spiral?
There are so many things that we do today that the ancient Hebrew nation would find sinful and even worthy of death.
Our diets, our cleansing rituals, the place of women in society, our day of worship (the Jews believe the Sabbath begins on Friday evening at sundown and ends on Saturday evening at sundown)--these have all changed from the ancient laws.
So again, I'll ask you; what happened? Did God change His mind? Did mankind reinterpret God's commandments? How did these huge changes come about?
I have several thoughts...
1.) I think we do a disservice to God when we try to encapsulate His majesty into laws found in the Books of the Bible. He is GREATER than any book--greater than all books ever written.
These books and stories describe Him and His relationship with mankind. They attempt to give us some understanding of Him.
2.) If you do look throughout the Books of the Bible, I think you'll see that God has changed His mind several times. You'll see that He created mankind, only to wipe them off the face of the planet in the great flood. Then, perhaps in his biggest change, He sent His son to die for our sins, so that we may be forgiven through grace and not abide by 613 laws found in the Old Testament.
3.) I believe that current Christian faith relies to heavily on the Books of the Bible to understand God and relies VERY little on one's personal relationship with God through the Holy Spirit. What God may want for you may not be what God wants for me. The journey He sets you on, is likely not going to be the same journey He sets me on.
4.) I pray to God for guidance. I refer to the Books of the Bible on occasion. However, the majority of my faith is based in my relationship with God. And that has helped me as I live my life.
I FIRMLY believe that God meant for me to be gay. I have no idea why this is. I certainly didn't ask to be gay. It wasn't my intention. And I fought it tooth and nail throughout my youth and into young adulthood.
You have no idea the number of hours I spent praying for God to change me. I BEGGED him to intervene. But nothing happened. I felt totally abandoned.
Then one day it occurred to me that I was praying to ask God for what "I" wanted. I'd never once prayed for what God wanted. And so I did that. I literally said, "Thy will be done."
God responded to me by His spirit. He left no doubt that He had created me exactly as He meant to. He wanted me to go forward and be happy.
Not sure that I answered your question, but maybe this will give you some insight as to why me and millions of gay Christians around the world believe as we do. I hope it helps.
well said.
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Your problem is that you can't read. It always has been. I don't want MMJ patients registered with the Government, that is why I want it legal like beer. So if you could read, it would save your time from all the unnecessary rants. Sad you are just a few years younger then I am and can't read.
first you do, then you dont....could you please make up your mind..

just yesterday, you told some wing ding here (on this very thread) that would like to make pot more "illegal"

I think you are the one who needs to find a good mooring in this harbor of thought.

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
Ronald...

That was long winded, but I agree.
Tommy cochrane

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

were on to ya this time....
Tommy cochrane

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

we wont let ya kill the laughter...
Morning Joe

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Has there been any time for a reason to go on vacation?

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Tommy cochrane wrote:
we wont let ya kill the laughter...
Hey Tommy: do you know a pot head that goes by Hemp for telelgraphs? same town.
Morning Joe

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Fantastic, got another one on the hook!

What do you use for bait? The truth.

These crazy's can't handle the truth.
Francisco dAnconia

Bellows Falls, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text> I don't like asparagus. Does that make me a vegetable bigot.
by your use of the word, YES!
as a matter of fact if you don't SUPPORT asparagus, by your logic, you are a bigot against it...

great you can see how stupidly you are acting...just kidding I know YOU don't see it...

I would think playing with the icons would keep you busy...
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
Ronald...
Exodus and Deuteronomy was also used to preach against integration.
veryvermilion.

*(The rhetoric following was removed for the purpose of keeping within the 3000 character limit of Topix only)*

Yes. You are right. From beginning to end, one of the main themes of the Bible is separation. According to the historical record:

"And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech." (Genesis 11:1)

"And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there." (Genesis 11:2)

"And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter." (Genesis 11:3)

"And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth." (Genesis 11:4)

"And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded." (Genesis 11:5)

"And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do." (Genesis 11:6)

"There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." (Proverbs 14:12)

After the Republicans invaded our Southern States, they divided them into military districts for the purpose of enlarging their political power. To enable their rule over the defeated White Christian male, the Republicans disenfranchised him while at the same time they denied his right to hold public office. At the same time they enfranchised the Africans for the purpose of ruling over White women and men. The current preposterous notion of Homosexual "marriage" is a direct outgrowth of that Republican power grab that used their African allies to subjugate the White Christian, as well as to destroy the Christian religion.

Ronald
Tommy cochrane

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text> I don't like asparagus. Does that make me a vegetable bigot. Playing semantics games makes you appear less than sincere. Of course it's no secret that all your side has are emotion based arguments.
the fact that you hate asperagus, yet are not on a crusade against it???

sais alot about your moderate rational character.

you would never deny asperagus to anyone!!!

the arguements these fools are still using, wouldnt pass muster in kindergarten..

never mind scotus.
Tommy cochrane

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Tommy: do you know a pot head that goes by Hemp for telelgraphs? same town.
this is open season??

but you wont get too far...

cause ya gotta blame someone, for your tea baggin confusion..
Tommy cochrane

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
veryvermilion.
*(The rhetoric following was removed for the purpose of keeping within the 3000 character limit of Topix only)*
Yes. You are right. From beginning to end, one of the main themes of the Bible is separation. According to the historical record:
"And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech." (Genesis 11:1)
"And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there." (Genesis 11:2)
"And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter." (Genesis 11:3)
"And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth." (Genesis 11:4)
"And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded." (Genesis 11:5)
"And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do." (Genesis 11:6)
"There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." (Proverbs 14:12)
After the Republicans invaded our Southern States, they divided them into military districts for the purpose of enlarging their political power. To enable their rule over the defeated White Christian male, the Republicans disenfranchised him while at the same time they denied his right to hold public office. At the same time they enfranchised the Africans for the purpose of ruling over White women and men. The current preposterous notion of Homosexual "marriage" is a direct outgrowth of that Republican power grab that used their African allies to subjugate the White Christian, as well as to destroy the Christian religion.
Ronald
im just curious??

did the the black men and women ever get to rule over the white men until 2009??

your delusions dont fit reality pal...

that is why we call you "lunatic fringe"

were wise to ya this time....

and your final solution..
Tommy cochrane

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

lets see, there have only been 4 black senetors in the US senate ever....

so the answer to my question seems like, NO....

the white man still holds power pretty firmly...

all minorities are vastly underrepresented in both chambers....

having a half white- half black president WAS A HUGE step forward...

im sure abe lincoln and tad stevens would be proud.........ahhhhh the rethugs of old!!

ps: I never realized lincoln was so good looking, until i saw the movie(sarcaasm)

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text> I don't like asparagus. Does that make me a vegetable bigot. Playing semantics games makes you appear less than sincere. Of course it's no secret that all your side has are emotion based arguments.
As does your side. "A person should be able to marry the one they love". SSM argument based on emotion. Swap out persons for person, and there's an argument for polygamy.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Tommy cochrane wrote:
lets see, there have only been 4 black senetors in the US senate ever....
so the answer to my question seems like, NO....
the white man still holds power pretty firmly...
all minorities are vastly underrepresented in both chambers....
having a half white- half black president WAS A HUGE step forward...
im sure abe lincoln and tad stevens would be proud.........ahhhhh the rethugs of old!!
ps: I never realized lincoln was so good looking, until i saw the movie(sarcaasm)
How many non WASP presidents have we had other than JFK? Obama is half white, probably Scotch Irish, on his mother's side?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 161,901 - 161,920 of200,230
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Monterey Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••