Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
161,441 - 161,460 of 200,588 Comments Last updated 9 min ago
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#184905 Mar 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
"Bottom line"? Pun intended? Simply because they occur does not mean they are equal. Would "homosexual intercourse" constitute "consummation" of the marital relationship?
LOL, not after they target and adulterate THAT definition next... When they are done, only SSM will be valid. We'll be the "faulty" ones...
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#184906 Mar 27, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
So am I, but many of the people here can only be happy if they make other people unhappy.
That is thier goal
No, it isn't. Don't put words into our mouths.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#184907 Mar 27, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
It has also been suggested that the far right immigrate to Afghanistan and join the Taliban
Religion is mandated, everyone has a gun, social customs are law upon pain of death, just as they like it
Yes, several times, you have suggested that we emigrate to Afghanistan. Funny. Why don't you guys move to another country, form your own country, where anything can fly, and the rest of us, who know better, can sit back and watch how long your "Libertine-istan" lasts....
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#184908 Mar 27, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít want Atheism mandated, I want freedom for both those that believe in one of the billions of Gods man has dreamed up or not as they choose. Dissent is a good thing not a bad thing.
Nope not the place for me
but you really should check out the Taliban... you would fit right in
But, they ARE free to do as they wish. They wish to extend their rights past the acceptable point. Are you really that familiar with the Taliban that you are recruiting for them? Helping them to undermine America?
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#184909 Mar 27, 2013
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Just remember on the pot topic, endocannabanoid says he is smoking 2 ounces of pot a week.
:-D
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#184910 Mar 27, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh puh-leez. Quit trying to act like you know anything about science. The FACT that there has been a stable gay population across time and all cultures PROVES that homosexuality is normal. Homosexuality is found in EVERY species of animals (that reproduce sexually).
The government isn't "forcing" any view on you. You are free to be the country's biggest dumbass. No one can force you to accept the facts, but no one is going to excuse you for being a liar.
You're dismissed. Be gone. Homosexuality is a dead-end, an activity practiced by the non-productive segment of any species. Bye now ... Don't let the door hit you on the as.... Oh, I don't care if it hits you, or not ...
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#184911 Mar 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa H&M....was that an admission from the Team Rainbow, that SSM redefines marriage? Hallelujah...praise The Lord.......just teasing, but thanks none the less.
<quoted text>
Hmmmmmm.....the problem with that is the reality of mixed orientation marriages, including those who truly choose to marry, or stay together by choice.
<quoted text>
That requires first redefining the legal definition of marriage.
<quoted text>
It may, or may not, or it may be a mixed ruling.
<quoted text>
That may happen, or they may allow the states to choose to regulate marriage as they see fit, even creating civil unions for SSCs, which a number of states have done. Would a CU suffice, if the Feds treated it as marriage with all the rights, privileges, and responsibilities, they extend to marriage? What is your opinion on that?
i merely conceded what a judge referred to - it's in the transcripts so i cannot deny the word he utilized in court.

why a couple decides to marry, or stay together, cannot be dictated by law. nor can it be dictated by anyone else.

i'm not sure if a CU would suffice or not. my concern is, humans being human, mistakes will be made in either the editing of existing laws to include appropriate CU verbiage or in writing additional laws. this will be expensive for the fed to accomplish and lengthy (in terms of writing and time). from my own personal experience, it's never an easy task, the old adage "all ya gotta do is" is never as simple as the sales guy thinks it is (i speak from an engineers perspective...LOL). i'd hate to see a couple strung up due to a verbiage error. i'd hate to see the extra expenses of rewriting laws or the costs involved when a mistake is made. i just think that allowing same sex couples to use the same terminology makes the most sense, is the expeditious means to grant everyone access to the same laws, protections and priviliges. others may feel or think differently. that's just my take on CU's.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#184912 Mar 27, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Medically validated dangers of anal sex? Demeaning, unhealthy?
ahahahahah
ahhaahhaahha
ahahahahhahaha
Then don't do it, prude face. YOU don't get to make that decision for anyone else.
"Then don't do it, prude face. YOU don't get to make that decision for anyone else." Umm.... We are not telling you not to. We are drawing the line between your practicing it, and using the government to wedge it into our midst, under the misappropriated title of "valid marriage". Different.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#184913 Mar 27, 2013
endocannabanoid system wrote:
<quoted text>
how could i be lying??
you just confirmed what my claim was, that gays have LOWERR divorce rates....so far.
I didnt differentiate between gay and lesbian couples...
other countries are a good place to start when looking to see how an issue might play out here in america.
universal health care is another good example....
try to calm down, were more or less on the same side of this issue??? right??
you want GAYS to be able to marry??
I want gays to be able to be married...
cheers!!
"Bitch slap" (with a backhand).. Universal healthcare, in other countries, has shown to deliver a lower standard of healthcare to the recipients.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#184914 Mar 27, 2013
Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, several times, you have suggested that we emigrate to Afghanistan. Funny. Why don't you guys move to another country, form your own country, where anything can fly, and the rest of us, who know better, can sit back and watch how long your "Libertine-istan" lasts....
"Libertine-Istanbul" ..... That was funny. Salud!
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#184915 Mar 27, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer the door naked, they dont come back, in fact they will make an effort to stay far away from your house.
Hey, D, I've done that, with a beer in my hand, invited them in, too. It works well, doesn't it?
I've also used fluorescent make-up to paint a pentagram on my door. they won't even knock on it.
One time, I was raking my front yard and they came walking up, asked to talk to me, and I removed my shirt, showed them the tattoo of a pentagram on my back, and asked them if we could discuss my religious beliefs. They didn't wish to.
Awfully narrow-minded, they are...
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#184916 Mar 27, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I do know what you mean about tolerated, and I agree.
As I said, if she wants it, it is hers and she will win it in a walk. Her popularity now is higher than before, and the Secretary of State is a MUCH more important job than the VP
I donít think Biden would have a chance against her.
I donít see any republican, no matter how moderate with a ghost of a chance against her, and the far right.... it will be a joke and a total meltdown of the republican party if they run a Santorum or anyone like him.
The problem republican have ( that they have still not faced ) is that no candidate can be nominated without sounding like a right wing nut job, and no candidate that sounded like a right wing nut job during the primaries can win in the general election.
Not in this political climate
I donít think they can adapt in time.
Y'all don't get it. Jeb Bush. Say the name, get used to it. Our next president. Google "Bush Crime Family", and read all about our true masters.

“Never give up”

Since: Dec 12

North Olmsted, OH

#184917 Mar 27, 2013
I don't agree with the notion that everyone needs to 'get with the times' asap and be openly acceptive of gay marriage.

As a Christian, I oppose it on moral grounds but apart from that I also oppose it because of all the potential complications that could arise from gay marriage and the adoption of heterosexual children.

For example, if a heterosexual teenager develops a hateful attitude towards homosexuals including towards his gay parents, should the gay parents punish him/her for it? Do they ground the child until they give up their 'hate'? I think it could lead to many cases of angry, unruly children, and many may run away from home.

Or I'm sure that gay parents will want to give a kiss and a hug to their adopted heterosexual children from time to time and this may make some of the children uncomfortable even though it would be just a sign of love and affection.

Gay marriage will likely create new family dynamics that have never been dealth with before. I'm still not convinced that gay marriage will be a good thing for our society, so excuse me if I don't get with the times asap.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#184918 Mar 27, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
No.. people that want to deny rights to others based on Race, Creed, Color, Sex, Religion, Orientation, or National Origin are bigots
and yes that is you
So the "D" in Big D stands for dodge, got it. Try answering the question.

Are gay people who oppose legal SSM, for,the very same reason, marriage is a union of husband and wife, orientated around their sexual union and what that union produces, as do straight people, bigots, homophobes, self haters, and/or traitors "to the cause"?

It same argument put forth by the Al Sharptons of this world, they just call black Americans who disagree with their political views, "Uncle Toms". So much for tolerance.
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#184919 Mar 27, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, only imposter americans that want to deny freedom in the land of the free
Don't you REALLY mean that any of us who don't agree with your skewed view of reality aren't REAL Americans? That any of us who have differing opinions aren't valid AmeriKKKans? That only by forgoing our own opinions, and toeing the National Agenda, can we keep our citizenship? Isn't that what you REALLY mean? That we don't count, unless we agree with you? Extortion, isn't it?
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#184920 Mar 27, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, only imposter americans that want to deny freedom in the land of the free
More of the Taliban Recruitment Process? Divide and conquer?
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#184921 Mar 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Im sorry the symbolism of the rainbow is lost on you??
wernt you the one who was PRo-polygamy..??
kinda hypocritical for you to be anti-gay marraige?? huh??
Gays are facing a lot of bigotry still from legislators....
you make it sound as if everything is all settled...
what do you think these cases are about..??
defeating bigotry and discrimination...because it is real.
what planet do you live on..??
Which color belongs to the Polygamists?
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

#184922 Mar 27, 2013
<quoted text>
your hysteria is just silly now.
"to set a course agianst global warming"??
hint: that would be easier if you guys stopped denying that it exists in the first place...
and with the stock market now well over 14000??
the wealthy have little to whine about....
other than the fact that their MAN isnt in the whitehouse
meanwhile your party just keeps digging their own grave, by being against things like gay marraige, legal immigration, access to womens health care and voting equality....
you can just kepp digging as far as im concerned.
Don't be so stupid! We HAVE legal immigration. We just made provisions for those that didn't want to do it the legal way. We made room for the pushy ones. We moved over for the criminals. We gave them "Operation Amnesty" to accommodate the ones who have no respect for the opinions of "Real Americans". Don't be so stupid! We have legal immigration. We also have The Border Patrol, who are no longer allowed to deport the criminals. Thanks to Obammy.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#184923 Mar 27, 2013
It Is a Conspiracy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, why shouldn't a gay person and a straight person be able to get married? We don't asked people about their sexual orientation when they get married.
Exactly....now you're catching on!
And, you didn't answer the question: can you point to any reputable social scientist who opines that gay parenting is somehow
harmful to children?
No, gay folks can be, and are good parents. Some even better than some bio parents.
Courts take away parental rights all the time. One's sexual orientation really has nothing to do with it. It's one conduct as a parent that is dispositive.
I agree....not quite sure why you would think I would think otherwise.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#184924 Mar 27, 2013
Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Which color belongs to the Polygamists?
Thanks RR.....but I don't know if they fit into Team Rainbow's concept of "tolerance". I guess some are more equal than others.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 7 min lazy posts 15,963
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 16 min J RULES 68,992
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Fri Macko mono 5,000
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
First City Festival 2014 Brings Ugly Rock Metal... Thu JoeMama 2
Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles Thu Money 1
My fears for Doris Day: Confidante who spent 40... (Oct '13) Thu marti eton square 4
•••
•••
Monterey Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search