Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
161,381 - 161,400 of 200,360 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
patty poughkeepsie

Napa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Hi Folks,
What we need to do is get down to BASICS. The Bachmann campaign will clear the air so that we can open our ears and hear the word, the truth and of the light as told by god himself to the enlightened who are available to tell you what is what and what you are supposed to do about it. Now her plan, GOD's plan is to deport all undesirables of every stripe and keep them deported. There will be a $15,000 fee charged to each "couple" and more for a family of course. The industry that will grow from this will be huge and a great investment and will repair all of our economic woes to such a degree that the Govment will have money left over to arm each and every one of us so that we can do what is needed when we see that it is needed. We can have peace and prosperity in one fell swoop and become the Dominion of God that the founding fathers intended where we are the world's GREAT THEOCRACY; One GOD, One WAY..or out.
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Technically Big D its either opposite sex, or same sex, marriage. As to your second assertion, I'm a lover not a fighter, unless I have to. Vita e' Bella mi amico. Loosen up, have some vino.
as far as i an see??

you are just a bigot...
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
And gay folks who oppose legal ssm for the same reason(s) that many straight folks do, will they be sent to "reeducation camps" so that they may tow the rainbow party line? That would fit in with your proposal.
how did you jump from from(my suggestion) encouraging bigots to move to red states?? to talking about camps??

are you so far to the reich, that you think in that language??

well?? benito????

i was just talking about gay tourist dollars, going to more gay accepting tourist destinations.

there is no "rainbow party"

by definition, anyone who joins the movement is tolerant.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

hemp for telelgraphs wrote:
<quoted text>
as far as i an see??
you are just a bigot...
Your vision is very limited then. Ahhhh.....the joys of dissenting from the orthodoxy of the leftist rainbow coalition, not all mind you, just some. After all anyone who dares criticize that secular sacred cow known as same sex marriage, by gosh by golly Mr Cleaver just has to be a bigot, it says so in the manual.

You, in the words of Bugs Bunny, are a maroon.

http://m.youtube.com/...
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Your vision is very limited then. Ahhhh.....the joys of dissenting from the orthodoxy of the leftist rainbow coalition, not all mind you, just some. After all anyone who dares criticize that secular sacred cow known as same sex marriage, by gosh by golly Mr Cleaver just has to be a bigot, it says so in the manual.
Oh no, he is right, they are not out to deny rights of yours, they are only asking for their equal treatment under the law.

And your hatred drives you to be against that equal consideration under the law.

You, and those like you are the only ones showing hatred, the only ones attacking marriage.

I am not a member of any rainbow coalition, nor a member of any gay community ( although I expect they would welcome me regardless of the fact that I donít happen to be gay ) as I am not a bigot, and think all Americans should expect equal treatment in the eyes of the law

It is a matter of patriotism
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
as a human you actually dont seem that bad...

but as an debater, you s&ck..

rainbow and orthodoxy dont really go hand in hand in the same sentence...

orthodoxy goes well in a sentence with "tea-party"

or "new new rethuglican"

the whole idea of a "RAINBOW" is inclusivness..

im sorry that you want to have you three way relationship backed up by the law.

well do that when public opinion backs you up. and the rainbow will cover you.

public opinion backs up gay marraige.

sorry about your situation....

mabey someday...
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I have one big suggestion for your karmic situation...

accept other people's marraige and relationships(including gay and lesbain marraige)

and the universe might reciprocate and allow(by law) your situation...

otherwise you are just digging a karmic hole for yourself.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

From the oral arguments:

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: So it's just about -- it's just about the label in this case.

MR. OLSON: The label is -≠

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Same-sex couples have every other right, it's just about the label.

MR. OLSON: The label "marriage" means something. Even our opponents -≠

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Sure. If you tell -- if you tell a child that somebody has to be their friend, I suppose you can force the child to say, this is my friend, but it changes the definition of what
it means to be a friend.

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/627679/...

And that's it seems to me what the -- what supporters of Proposition 8 are saying here. You're -≠ all you're interested in is the label and you insist on changing the definition of the label.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
as a human you actually dont seem that bad...
but as an debater, you s&ck..
rainbow and orthodoxy dont really go hand in hand in the same sentence...
orthodoxy goes well in a sentence with "tea-party"
or "new new rethuglican"
the whole idea of a "RAINBOW" is inclusivness..
im sorry that you want to have you three way relationship backed up by the law.
well do that when public opinion backs you up. and the rainbow will cover you.
public opinion backs up gay marraige.
sorry about your situation....
mabey someday...
Are you taken aback about how fast that happened?

I am, never have I seen public opinion sway this far this fast on a social issue like this.

I am proud to be an American when I see that, people stand up for equality and justice for people different than themselves.

I am sure you realize that a majority of support for same sex marriage is now coming from people like me, that donít happen to be gay. For years I was in a minority, but now I look around and most Americans agree with me.

Since: Nov 12

Wilton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I am proud to be an American when I see that, people stand up for equality and justice for people different than themselves.
Quite different from when liberals have been on the wrong side of history here in the US.

Wilton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
marriage is now coming from people like me, that donít happen to be gay.
Why do u keep saying that? Does it matter? Do you think a great majority of people just happen to be gay?

Wilton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
and the universe might reciprocate and allow(by law) your situation...
otherwise you are just digging a karmic hole for yourself.
lol WTF? Bong speaking again.
Hcklers

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Heck what were you expecting?

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
From the oral arguments:
CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: So it's just about -- it's just about the label in this case.
MR. OLSON: The label is -≠
CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Same-sex couples have every other right, it's just about the label.
MR. OLSON: The label "marriage" means something. Even our opponents -≠
CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Sure. If you tell -- if you tell a child that somebody has to be their friend, I suppose you can force the child to say, this is my friend, but it changes the definition of what
it means to be a friend.
http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/627679/...
And that's it seems to me what the -- what supporters of Proposition 8 are saying here. You're -≠ all you're interested in is the label and you insist on changing the definition of the label.
In my town, there are two public drinking fountains. One says "whites only", the other says "non-caucasians". The fountains are the same, the water is the same. Only the label is different.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Tell you what, lets stop bickering and make projections on what we think will actually happen ( regardless of if we agree on it or not )

here are some potential outcomes that I see ( please add more if you think them possible )

1 Overturn the appeal ( Prop 8 stands )

2 Uphold the Appeal ( Prop 8 is overturned in California )

3 Board overturn of Appeal ( Pro 8 falls and all such measures are overturned in other states than California )

4 Deny the petition for lack of standing ( decide the proponents of Prop 8 do not have standing and turn it back to the California courts who will immediately overturn Prop 8 affecting only California )

I donít see any other potential outcomes, on Prop 8 anyway, but feel free to add to the list if you can think of one.

I personally support #3 but do not actually think that will happen

I am actually starting to bet on #4, it is a way of making a statement, without actually making a statement and causing the least amount of turmoil in the short term, but does open a can of worms in the long term. The problem with #4 is that it means any law a governor does not support that is challenged, he can defeat simply by not defending it. That is a strange situation.

But still it is the easy way out for the Supremes, to just toss it back to the state, as they did with Gore vs Bush

My guesses is

Most likely 4
Very possibly 2
Very unlikely 1
Wont happen 3

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
how did you jump from from(my suggestion) encouraging bigots to move to red states?? to talking about camps??
Logical actually. If one does not believe in the orthodoxy of the left, in this case, SSM, one must be sent to a "reeducation camp" as has been established in the past by leftist, often communist regimes. There the non believers are "reeducated". So gay people who disagree with redefining marriage for the same reason(s) that some straight people do, marriage is about husband and wife and by extension their children, should be sent to "reeducation camps" to correct their thinking. After all any gay person who opposes SSM is automatically a traitor to the cause, self loathed, and/or ignorant.
are you so far to the reich, that you think in that language??
well?? benito????
What's that comrade, some are more equal than others?
i was just talking about gay tourist dollars, going to more gay accepting tourist destinations.
there is no "rainbow party"
Sparkle
by definition, anyone who joins the movement is tolerant.
Oh but of course.....it's always the other side that's not tolerant.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
In my town, there are two public drinking fountains. One says "whites only", the other says "non-caucasians". The fountains are the same, the water is the same. Only the label is different.
I would add a few more

Blue eyed people

Brown eyed people

Other eyed people

People over 5'10"

People under 5'11"

People with Blond hair ( natural only, artificially coloring does not apply )

People with brown hair

People with grey hair

People with Red hair

and then have a policeman standing by to make sure everyone uses the right drinking fountain.

that will make the point
Hcklers

San Dimas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

What the heck were you expecting, a change of idiots who post BULL here?

No such luck, just a bunch of racists, religious nut cases who are making hell on earth of everyone else.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage, a fundamental right, as it been understood as a union of husband and wife.
legally speaking, that thought of strictly male / female marriage is waning, considering the arguments presented before SCOTUS yesterday. both sides conceed that marriage is a fundamental right and is beneficial to society. great to see some common ground for a change.

don't know about you, but i'm pretty eager to read today's transcripts as well.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Gay people can consummate their marriage just like straight people. Keep in mind "consummation" does not equal reproduction. Any form of copulation would satisfy the definition of consummation for the sake of marriage.
maybe he goes by the same definition of "is" as pres. clinton did...or the same definition of sex, too, for that matter. LOL.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Monterey Discussions

Search the Monterey Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 2 hr Ban Central Station 4,895
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 hr SamBee 68,439
Seaside In-N-Out should be ready by summer '15 12 hr Watchdog 2
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Jul 28 snodder 2,252
Tim Grobaty: Rock acts once reigned at old Mari... (Jun '10) Jul 27 harry king 4
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Jul 27 Twilight sun 7,848
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Jul 27 Facts facts 15,927
•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••