Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
160,621 - 160,640 of 200,360 Comments Last updated 56 min ago

Since: Nov 11

Fukushima

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Your spelling isn't very good. You spell it- winner.
But I'll give you a C for effort.
You need glasses.

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I really need to post a link for you again?
IOW, you got caught in a lie.
akpilot wrote:
<
Your entire post was a rant about slavery, woman's right to vote, and Loving v Virginia, culminating in you asking how the founders would feel about the decision.
BS. And you know it.
I mentioned how they would have felt about Loving v. VA.
You have no integrity.
Funny really.
akpilot wrote:
Why don't you just admit you are out of gas. But the good news is you are still full of sh%%.
LOL. You are upset because I called you on a lie. And you just don't have the 'nads to say, "My bad". You don't even have to give me the apology you owe me.
You're pathetic!
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Can any of you read? I have already stated my position on DOMA.
One more time since you and your clan seem a bit slow- SEC 3 of DOMA is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.
Got it?
<quoted text>
Prop 8 is a very distinct issue. CA is currently the only State where one can make the argument that the 14th Amendment has been violated. This is due to the fact that there are currently homosexuals in CA whom are legally marriage and will continue to be so even with prop 8. This creates a "special class" of homosexual citizen within the State- one class which can and is legally married, and another second class which cannot.
I fully expect the SCOTUS to uphold the Walker decision, I also fully expect them to limit that decision to the State of California. It is in fact the correct and Constitutional thing to do.
<quoted text>
Now this is a wide net. There is no enumerated power within the Constitution for the Federal Government to regulate or otherwise define marriage, thus under the 10th Amendment this falls to the State. This is the exact logic the court used when it ruled DOMA unconstitutional. I feel the court won't touch the issue of same sex marriage on a national level.
Here is what I think will come out of the SCOTUS with these cases, and what also would be the Constitutional thing for the court to do.
First- Rule that Prop 8 is a violation of the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment for the reasons I stated above. They will limit this ruling strictly to California and the Prop 8 Issue.
Second- They will Rule that Section 3 of DOMA is unconstitutional for the same reasons as the lower court ruling- The Federal Government Lack's the enumerated power to define or regulate marriage- thus this power lies with the States to define and choose on their own. This will serve a dual purpose:
1) It will prevent the Federal Government from limiting, removing, or denying equal rights to homosexual couples whom are legally married by a State which allows such unions. They will be required to treat them exactly the same in regards to all regulations, benefits, and tax laws.
2) It will leave the States free to decide on their own what constitutes a marriage within their own boarders, as it should be based on the 9th and 10th Amendments of the Constitution. Now I really don't think it's going to be long before all State legalize same sex marriage, public opinion is moving in that direction, and most people really don't care. But based on our founding as a republic and union of individual sovereign State's, it is up to each to decide.
Now you may not like that, and that may not even be the way the SCOTUS rules, as just like the entire Federal Government they are in a power grab, and if they can find a way to give the Federal Government purview over the regulation and control of marriage they most certainly will. But you should ask yourself, is the the "freedom" you are looking for?
You forgot #4

after the ruling it will make in incredibly easy for any state to have its exclusion of same sex marriages overturned for similar reasons.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Your spelling isn't very good. You spell it- winner.
But I'll give you a C for effort.
Whiner:
"a person who makes frequent complaints usually about little things"
"an irritable and complaining person"
http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/whin...

Tzunammi was right.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
IOW, you got caught in a lie.
<quoted text>
BS. And you know it.
I mentioned how they would have felt about Loving v. VA.
You have no integrity.
Funny really.
<quoted text>
LOL. You are upset because I called you on a lie. And you just don't have the 'nads to say, "My bad". You don't even have to give me the apology you owe me.
You're pathetic!
Does it hurt to be this stupid?

Fukushima

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask yourself.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Apollo11911 wrote:
<quoted text>So after a year and a half of posting, you finally said what you could have long ago. I agree with your post, I will however say that the Prop 8 ruling could have a little more power that you think. For instance, any of the states that currently allow same sex marriage will see that any chance of removing it, will be rejected from the start. To the best of my knowledge SCOTUS has not been asked to decide if Same sex marriage must be mandated in every state. That however does not mean that they won't. Part of the problem comes with portability in a marriage licence granted by one state and not recognised by others. I do not know of any heterosexual marriage that is not recognised from state to state.
I have posted this at least 50 times before, it's not my fault people either don't read or simply make assumptions.

And as far as "portability" goes, there is no constitution requirement for that. The only reason a marriage license can be carried from one state to another is because they have allowed it since the requirement have historically been the same in each State. This is not the same for concealed carry permits, nor is it the case for a driver's license- if you move from one state to another you will be required to pass their driving test and receive a license from their State.

There is nothing in the Constitution that allows for one State to compel another to accept it's laws.

The SCOTUS has already ruled as such:
"Its sole purpose was to declare to the several States that, whatever those rights, as you grant or establish them to your own citizens, or as you limit or qualify or impose restrictions on their exercise, the same, neither more nor less, shall be the measure of the rights of citizens of other States within your jurisdiction."- Slaughterhouse Cases

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Tzunammi wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask yourself.
Did you come up with this all by yourself? I'm so proud.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
You got caught in a lie. I proved it.
And that's all you can say.
LOL.
If I had made a mistake, I'd have the ovaries to admit it.
But you are a pathetic thing with no sense of honor.
Must suck to be you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
You got caught in a lie. I proved it.
And that's all you can say.
LOL.
If I had made a mistake, I'd have the ovaries to admit it.
But you are a pathetic thing with no sense of honor.
Must suck to be you.
How many voices do you hear Rose?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The interesting thing about this post, is that it is exactly the same distortion tactics Hitler used to discredit Jews and Christians like Deitrick Bonhoeffer.
The fact of the matter is that Christians are on the front lines against abortion for any reason. You know that VV, and instead, make a bold-faced lie about what Christians believe and what they would do.
The same thing you foolishly attempted to do with my words and actions.
Do you understand how evil this type of thing is? How your blind pursuit of justifying homosexual behavior has darkened and perverted your thinking and spirit in every way?
I'm scared for you.
Yeah... Christians are on the front lines of "life at all costs".

Just ask any of them who would stand in line to flip the switch of an electric chair or the tens of thousands of them who have lined up to go to war or the millions who put their guns on their Bibles at night; just waiting for a burglar to break in so they can blow them to hell.

You and I both know that if there was a way to find out if a fetus was gay, but there wasn't a way to "cure" them, they would come up with a way to justify not bringing it into the world.

So don't try to blow smoke up my skirt, ya schmuck. I'll call you on the carpet every single time.

Fukushima

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you come up with this all by yourself? I'm so proud.
LOL

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
How many voices do you hear Rose?
You can't own up to the lie you told.
Funny, really.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't own up to the lie you told.
Funny, really.
You are the one having that issue, not me.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one having that issue, not me.
You lied.
Grow a pair and admit it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
You lied.
You see, if you would take my advice and get your GED, they would explain to you that simply repeating the same nonsense doesn't make it true.

But keep going Rose, everyone has to be good at something, and you have cornered the market on ignorance.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Bernard wrote:
Peer reviewed studies have concluded the typical male queer consumes 22.46 lbs of fecal matter on an annual basis.
Your "down-low" boyfriend hardly counts as a "peer". And the crap that you two consume is of no interest to the rest of us.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
You see, if you would take my advice and get your GED, they would explain to you that simply repeating the same nonsense doesn't make it true.
You're just an ignoramus who thinks he understands the Constitution.
GED? LOL! I have a MS. What do you have?
Well, we know you have a BS, and I don't mean a Bachelor's...

You don't have any integrity, and that's worse than being stupid. And you are stupid, too.
akpilot wrote:

But keep going Rose, everyone has to be good at something, and you have cornered the market on ignorance.
You lied about what I said.
LOL @ you.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Apollo11911 wrote:
<quoted text>So after a year and a half of posting, you finally said what you could have long ago.
In all fairness, akpilot has made himself this clear several times. He and I crossed swords and came to an understanding quite a while back.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>

You lied about what I said.
LOL @ you.
I didn't lie, you did.

That is why I provided a link to your previous post, while you have not.

Poor Rose, so desperately wants to be relevant.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••