Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,192

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183889 Mar 19, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
Maybe she's afraid to see the mess.
Are you implying that you actually dont know why statues of justice wear a blindfold?

I do hope you are kidding, as it relates directly to the topic here.

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

#183890 Mar 19, 2013
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose_NoHo.
Actually, the founding fathers had nothing to do with the 14th Amendment.(snip)
Zzzz...
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183892 Mar 19, 2013
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Big D.
Yes. Most of our founding fathers were prolific writers and speakers. It is a weak argument to pull up out of context quotes they may have made without reference to their overall political and religious philosophy.
Ronald
In what contact would you take the statement

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"

Signed by John Adams in the Treaty of Tripoli?

tell me the context other than exactly what he is saying

I do understand that you are BIG into interpretation, as Christians often claim the bible says things it does not say.

But tell me.. what context would you put that in?

This is the man considered the father of the American revolution, the same man that said this would be the best of all possible worlds were there no religion in it.

We can move onto Madison if you like, who coined the phrase Separation of Church and State ( later used by Jefferson ) if you are lost.

Our founders were politicians, and were outwardly Christian as the simple masses were as well, but expressed themselves quite frankly to one another on numerous occasions.

North Hollywood, CA

#183893 Mar 19, 2013
commonpeeps wrote:
<quoted text>Oh my gawd how funny is mo ho. Does more good for the anti gays than anone else. Shows how narcisstic and self centered (besides just plain stupid) that self pleasing, self centered, skank, alley walking, transgendered, sausage cankle legged, back door tramp is. Whew! Need to wash my mouth after that.
Stupid, I said "IF that were the case, gay people would just marry a friend of the opposite sex." IOW, IF the only thing gay people were interested in were benefits, they would just marry friends of the opposite sex, and not fight for gay marriage. But, since there is a fight for gay marriage, it's clear they are not just interested in benefits, but in the actual marriage relationship.
Wow, you are dumb.

North Hollywood, CA

#183894 Mar 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep marriage as is, one an and one woman; keep it simple.
Don't risk harming children for imaginary acceptance.
Rose's Law:
Morons with no real argument scream, "But what about the children!?
Brian_G wrote:
Demand acceptance because you are a human being, not for other political reasons.
Reason 21 for keeping marriage as is: KISS, keep it simple.
You got a divorce. That's hardly simple.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#183895 Mar 19, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid, I said "IF that were the case, gay people would just marry a friend of the opposite sex." IOW, IF the only thing gay people were interested in were benefits, they would just marry friends of the opposite sex, and not fight for gay marriage. But, since there is a fight for gay marriage, it's clear they are not just interested in benefits, but in the actual marriage relationship.
Wow, you are dumb.
If they were interested in the actual marriage relationship, of husband and wife, they would marry someone of the opposite sex.

North Hollywood, CA

#183896 Mar 19, 2013
No no no wrote:
<quoted text>
F the majority? Wow, isn't that how Obama won, twice, by a majority vote?
OK so fudge the majority who voted for him!
Do you understand that?
LOL. You are so dumb.
No no no wrote:
The constitution does promise equal rights, but it does not mention having a legal definition having equal rights?
Was that supposed to make sense, or was it written by a random word generator?
No no no wrote:
A definition is just that and nothing more, a definition, and it can not deny anything, it's just a definition under the law of what the majority of society says marriage is, it does not refuse gays to marry or to be happy.
No ones rights are being violated,
A man's right is being violated, because he doesn't have a right to marry a man. That's a right a woman has.
And a woman's right is being violated because she doesn't have a right a man does.
No no no wrote:
all you want is to change a legal definition, by which the majority of voters in this country still want to be that marriage is by this legal definition, between a man and a woman.
Fk 'em. The Constitution promises equal rights.
No no no wrote:
Gays can and do get married all over this country in any way shape and form they want, and this definition has not stopped them from doing so.
And just a suggestion, if you want people, that is the majority of Americans to understand and be sympathetic to your point of view, calling them all "Morons" is not going to help!
What about "idiots"?
You're one.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#183897 Mar 19, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
In what contact would you take the statement
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"
Signed by John Adams in the Treaty of Tripoli?
tell me the context other than exactly what he is saying
I do understand that you are BIG into interpretation, as Christians often claim the bible says things it does not say.
But tell me.. what context would you put that in?
This is the man considered the father of the American revolution, the same man that said this would be the best of all possible worlds were there no religion in it.
We can move onto Madison if you like, who coined the phrase Separation of Church and State ( later used by Jefferson ) if you are lost.
Our founders were politicians, and were outwardly Christian as the simple masses were as well, but expressed themselves quite frankly to one another on numerous occasions.
Big D.

Yes. I agree. Although Adams might have been motivated by ulterior considerations, he could have truthfully represented the United States to not have been "...in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" because the founders did not establish an "official" Government Christian church, as I previously stated.

Ronald

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#183898 Mar 19, 2013
The US Supreme Court has found it's OK to register only 18 year old males for the selective service but not 18 year old females.

There is no gender equality right in the Constitution.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#183899 Mar 19, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
A man's right is being violated, because he doesn't have a right to marry a man. That's a right a woman has.
And a woman's right is being violated because she doesn't have a right a man does.
[/QUOTE[

A man can marry a man if he becomes a woman first. A woman can marry a woman if she drops the "wo".
Fk 'em. The Constitution promises equal rights.
Not in everything Rosie. Only native born citizens can becone president.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#183900 Mar 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
The US Supreme Court has found it's OK to register only 18 year old males for the selective service but not 18 year old females.
There is no gender equality right in the Constitution.
Rose's law: Equal rights doesn't mean equal responsibility. Good point. If a man can be drafted, so should a woman be drafted. Equality for all.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#183901 Mar 19, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Zzzz...
Rose_NoHo.

I take it you are not familiar with Abraham Lincoln, the great Whig whom the Republicans designated to be their Presidential candidate in 1860. In 1863, Lincoln made a speech to dedicate the Soldiers' National Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. At that event, Lincoln made a speech that is now known as "The Gettysburg Address". Lincoln began his speech by calculating:

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal."

If one were to assume all the founding fathers were at an age greater than 20 years, and if four score and 7 is 87, then we can conclude that in 1863, no founding father alive on that date would have had been no less than 107 years of age.(20 years + 87 years = 107 years)= This is unlikely, because Big Government had not yet seized control of the medical industry.

The Republicans inflicted their 14th Amendment on the nation in 1868, some 5 years after Lincoln made his speech at Gettysburg. By that time the youngest founding father would have to have been about more than 112 years of age - highly unlikely. It is for that reason I felt comfortable when I stated in post # 183798:

"Actually, the founding fathers had nothing to do with the 14th Amendment..."

Ronald

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#183902 Mar 19, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Or just because a few states have redefined marriage in their states, why should they have to as well, when the voters of the latter states said no?
<quoted text>
Uh huh....so they can't get the best people without nationwide SSM? Sigh.....
If voters had their way in the South, blacks and other minorities would likely still not have equal rights.

It took federal intervention by way of physical force (The National Guard), federal laws, and Supreme Court decisions to make Southern states integrate the races, enact voting rights, etc.

Prior to federal intervention, blacks had two choices; leave the South or stay and be subjected inequality.

Gays are doing the same thing. We've moved away from our rural hometowns into urban areas where there are more tolerant and affirming communities. Gay and lesbian people are statistically more educated and affluent. We take pride in our urban neighborhoods, raising the property value of the properties around us. In fact, many rural communities study “Gay Brain Drain” to see what they can do to keep us from moving away.

Until politicians, religious leaders, and communities are willing to make us welcome, we will continue move to urban areas. We will also fight laws and policies that do not support the rights we believe we are entitled to. We will do this at the ballot box, in the court house, through community organization, in the media, through education, etc.

We aren't going away. We will never go away. It is up to YOU to learn to live with us.
right

United States

#183903 Mar 19, 2013
The first sign of aids is a pounding sensation in your ass.
Randy-Rock-Hudso n

Midland, NC

#183904 Mar 19, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose has the memory and attention span of a goldfish. Damn near the IQ of one too, though I think the fish has her on that one.
Yes, but I believe that he has his sights set on "prawndom" ...
Randy-Rock-Hudso n

Midland, NC

#183905 Mar 19, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
You're claiming you do have to be able to procreate in order to marry? LOL!
What pisses you off is that gay marriage has now been passed by popular vote, and you are on the losing side. Well, you are a loser.
You guys just keep spouting off with that most obvious of lies...

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#183906 Mar 19, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
If voters had their way in the South, blacks and other minorities would likely still not have equal rights.
The flaw in that argument is that as a man, you have the same right to marry as any other man. No one voted to declare men and women interchangeable, the voted to constitutionally define a relationship that apparently some folks were confused about.
It took federal intervention by way of physical force (The National Guard), federal laws, and Supreme Court decisions to make Southern states integrate the races, enact voting rights, etc.
Prior to federal intervention, blacks had two choices; leave the South or stay and be subjected inequality.
Should we call in the National Guard to enforce gender integration in marriage?
Gays are doing the same thing. We've moved away from our rural hometowns into urban areas where there are more tolerant and affirming communities. Gay and lesbian people are statistically more educated and affluent. We take pride in our urban neighborhoods, raising the property value of the properties around us. In fact, many rural communities study “Gay Brain Drain” to see what they can do to keep us from moving away.
Very commendable.
Until politicians, religious leaders, and communities are willing to make us welcome, we will continue move to urban areas. We will also fight laws and policies that do not support the rights we believe we are entitled to. We will do this at the ballot box, in the court house, through community organization, in the media, through education, etc.
That's the American way.
We aren't going away. We will never go away. It is up to YOU to learn to live with us.
Sigh...relax VV put down the rainbow flag, simply because people oppose redefining marriage, including some gay folks for the very same reason I do, doesn't mean ya have yo run for the hills.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#183907 Mar 19, 2013
RicardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm on a fake profile here because I'm pretty sure the real ricardo fire annoys everyone on this forum. I just got done reading your arguments w this other person and I gotta say I would usually never get involved in someone else's beef, but this person is owning u so bad its pretty funny. You're not on the same intelligence level so y r u trying to sound intelligent. U think that by writing smile or snicker at the end of ur post that somehow it makes it better? U sound like u have a very low self-esteem and ur trying ur hardest to prove that you're right, but deep down inside u know that you're totally being owned. You're beef isn't w this other person, its with yourself homie. What about u is so insignificant, that other peoples sexuality, and rights threaten who u r? U should probably think hard about what is the actual root of your insecurities, and figure out how you're going to change that.
Snicker (nah jk I'm not as insecure as u r....Smile haha)
Wow, that was so deep, I almost couldn't understand that you were trolling me because you have no logical response.

But hey, thank you for your 'opinion'.

Snicker smile.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#183908 Mar 19, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I compare you to Hitler because you both advocate the same thing. You both believe that purity of the human race is in part based on the elimination of homosexuals. Is this not true? If I'm mistaken, please "straighten" me out.(wink)
Please, quote where I said any such thing.

Smirk.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183909 Mar 19, 2013
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Big D.
Yes. I agree. Although Adams might have been motivated by ulterior considerations, he could have truthfully represented the United States to not have been "...in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" because the founders did not establish an "official" Government Christian church, as I previously stated.
Ronald
Good you know more than most Christians I have talked to, I will give you that.

And I will defend your rights to believe, and will even defend your children from being indoctrinated in a religon other than you prefer, as long as you grant me the same right and protect them from yours.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 19 hr scirocco 70,102
Live Oak stabbing is second in two days (Jun '08) Oct 17 savvylocal 245
International CIT conference comes to Monterey Oct 14 DO Powers 1
where can I find heroin in monterey? Oct 8 thazzleb17 2
Pacific Grove Girl Chelsie Hills Law suit. Rea... Oct 3 Siding with Toyota 1
Carmel waste broker accused of bribery (Dec '08) Sep '14 Shelly 12
Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles Sep '14 fancy 3
Monterey Dating
Find my Match

Monterey Jobs

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Monterey News, Events & Info