Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
160,521 - 160,540 of 200,343 Comments Last updated 6 hrs ago

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you read any of his posts? I know children who have a better grasp of logic. His posts are exercises in semantics and hyperbole. Like or dislike is irrelevant.
Xbox

All jokes aside. The difference is he, and I to a degree approach the issue from a different perspective from you, and some other SSM supporters. Marriage is an opposite sex union, period. Its about the sexes, their sexual union, and what that union produces, children. We're all, 99.99999999%, products of a male female sexual union, including you and I. Marriage is society's means of connecting men and women, and whatever children they produce. Its not simply a governments benefits package, or a self esteem program. Fundamentally altering it can have serious long term consequences. If Americans as as a whole had continued to treat marriage with greater respect as it was several decades ago, would SSM really be under consideration or legal in a few states?
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Big D.
You spent far too much time studying the Koran, and parts of the Talmud, and much of the Bagividad Ggita and several other religious works. Had you spent more time studying the Bible, you would be more familiar with well-established Christian Biblical principles. According to the instruction manual:
"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." (Matthew 7:6)
Ronald
Not at all, I wanted to see what religions had to offer, I have read your bible twice ( cover to cover, old and new ) all together and in context, I actually spent less time on the other books, as they really had nothing new to offer.

I did spend some time looking at religions that pre-date the Abrahamic religions and can see where most of the most famous myths come from.

You are free to believe all you want to.

and we are free of your beliefs and are not bound to them or their rules.

Religious laws are laws of choice, you can choose to abide or not, they are not the law of the land.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

No no no wrote:
<quoted text>
Boo hoo, but we don't like what the majority says, we want everyone to believe what the minority says, and do what we say, so Obummer and the DemoRATS are out! My rights are being violated, haven't you ever heard of equal rights, so I demand that the GOP, RepubliCAN, and Tea Party get their equal rights even though we're not the majority!
Lol!
You really don't understand America and the Constitution do you?
But that's OK it's obvious you've been fed this New American double standard and bought it hook line and sinker! So your confusion is understandable!
No no no.

It's no fault of our resident taxpayer supported schizophrenic. His perception always becomes more skewed during the second half of the month while he awaits for his Big Government masters to replentish his EBT card with hard earned taxpayer money. We can rightly fault him for doubling up on his taxpayer provided meds during the first half of the month, though.

Ronald
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
right. so where is that phrase in any of the constitution, the bill of rights, or any federal or state law?
heartandmind.

It is not there. The reason it is not there is simple. Unlike England, the founding fathers did not establish a State church. They, and many of their fellows, suffered discrimination and even persecution as a result of not adhering to the authority of the Church of England. Because of that historical experience, the founding fathers established a nation where Christians were free to practice the denomination of their own choosing, and according to their own conscience. Until the Godless "Liberals" seized control of academia, that was common knowledge.

Ronald

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
it would be considered a fallacy or a sham of a marriage. even the catholic church understands this and allows those types of marriages to be nullified. furthermore, in some instances, those types of marriages would be considered to be illegal insofar if the couple is found to have married under the conditions as described (one being homosexual and the other heterosexual, for example)...they could be found to be trying bilk an insurance company for example, or perhaps for immigration purposes or any number of other possibilities of marrying under false pretenses otherwise known as "fraud"...it may not be fraud to the 2 involved, if they both know about the other, but they entered into the marriage with the idea to defraud for some purpose (insurance, pension, immigration, housing, etc). it may difficult to prove, but if you tick off the DA or SA in the area enough, they could come after you. so, do you really want your daughter to enter into a fraud?
What about if they simply loved one another? Would it be acceptable to you then? Suppose it were an elderly mixed orientation couple who had known each other for years and decided to marry? Does everyone have to marry accirding to one's "orientation"? Are you familiar with Josh Weed?
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
heartandmind.
It is not there. The reason it is not there is simple. Unlike England, the founding fathers did not establish a State church. They, and many of their fellows, suffered discrimination and even persecution as a result of not adhering to the authority of the Church of England. Because of that historical experience, the founding fathers established a nation where Christians were free to practice the denomination of their own choosing, and according to their own conscience. Until the Godless "Liberals" seized control of academia, that was common knowledge.
Ronald
you had me until your last sentence.

it's the selfish "godless" republicans of the 80s that turned me away from being a republican. i couldn't stand how they treated "those people" they deemed beneath them. and still do to this day.

my pastor likes to say that jesus was a liberal - he believed in feeding and clothing the poor, healing the sick. and not charging anyone for those services - he did this freely and willingly to all those that asked or needed his help.

yea, "godless liberals". indeed.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
heartandmind.
Ronald
You need to go back to school, want some quotes form our founding fathers and other notable americans?

"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it." - John Adams

"No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever." - Thomas Jefferson

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Ben Franklin

"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst." - Thomas Pane

"I have generally been denominated a Deist, the reality of which I never disputed, being conscious I am no Christian, except mere infant baptism makes me one; and as to being a Deist, I know not strictly speaking, whether I am one or not." - Ethan Allen

"The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my profession." - Abraham Lincon

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You are aware that our money also has the phrase "New Secular Order" written in Latin... right?
Whaddya know....learned something new today from the Wonderful Wizard of Big D, although that moniker sounds like chain of discount stores. Thanks for the bicentennial minute.
those phrases like "in God we Trust" as added to our currency decades after our founders, just as "under God" was added to the pledge in the 1950's and against the wishes of the descendants of the author who did not include such a passage as he didnít want the pledge to be any kind of prayer, as so apply to everyone equally.
You are talking to someone that knows a whole lot more about this subject than you realize.
Oooooooh. Ahhhhhhhhhhh
You are free to believe, and others are free to believe something else, or not believe at all, and there should be zero difference in the eyes of the law.
Religion, particularly Christianity, is all around us. One doesn't have to believe or disbelieve to see that. As to the law, I suppose that depends on the issue, or law, As a matter of general principal, I agree there should be zero difference in the eyes of the law.
If you donít agree with that statement, then you are not an American
Born in the USA, grandson of Italian immigrants. Red blooded American with a side of marinara sauce, and a glass of vino.
, THAT is why justice wears a blindfold.
Maybe she's afraid to see the mess.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Whaddya know....learned something new today from the Wonderful Wizard of Big D, although that moniker sounds like chain of discount stores. Thanks for the bicentennial minute.
<quoted text>
Oooooooh. Ahhhhhhhhhhh
<quoted text>
Religion, particularly Christianity, is all around us. One doesn't have to believe or disbelieve to see that. As to the law, I suppose that depends on the issue, or law, As a matter of general principal, I agree there should be zero difference in the eyes of the law.
<quoted text>
Born in the USA, grandson of Italian immigrants. Red blooded American with a side of marinara sauce, and a glass of vino.
<quoted text>
Perhaps you learned something?

Yes there are a lot of Christians, also a lot of Islam, and Judaism, and Mormonism all the Abrahamic religions, and there is a healthy smattering of other religions as well, Hindu, Buddhism, Wicca, and some more obscure ones, some quite public like Scientology, the fastest growing one however, is no religion at all.

I agree, zero different, regardless of race, creed, color, sex, religion, orientation, or national origin.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to go back to school, want some quotes form our founding fathers and other notable americans?
"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it." - John Adams
"No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever." - Thomas Jefferson
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Ben Franklin
"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst." - Thomas Pane
"I have generally been denominated a Deist, the reality of which I never disputed, being conscious I am no Christian, except mere infant baptism makes me one; and as to being a Deist, I know not strictly speaking, whether I am one or not." - Ethan Allen
"The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my profession." - Abraham Lincon
Big D.

Yes. Most of our founding fathers were prolific writers and speakers. It is a weak argument to pull up out of context quotes they may have made without reference to their overall political and religious philosophy.

Ronald

Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
Are you implying that you actually dont know why statues of justice wear a blindfold?

I do hope you are kidding, as it relates directly to the topic here.

Since: Apr 11

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose_NoHo.
Actually, the founding fathers had nothing to do with the 14th Amendment.(snip)
Zzzz...
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Big D.
Yes. Most of our founding fathers were prolific writers and speakers. It is a weak argument to pull up out of context quotes they may have made without reference to their overall political and religious philosophy.
Ronald
In what contact would you take the statement

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"

Signed by John Adams in the Treaty of Tripoli?

tell me the context other than exactly what he is saying

I do understand that you are BIG into interpretation, as Christians often claim the bible says things it does not say.

But tell me.. what context would you put that in?

This is the man considered the father of the American revolution, the same man that said this would be the best of all possible worlds were there no religion in it.

We can move onto Madison if you like, who coined the phrase Separation of Church and State ( later used by Jefferson ) if you are lost.

Our founders were politicians, and were outwardly Christian as the simple masses were as well, but expressed themselves quite frankly to one another on numerous occasions.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

commonpeeps wrote:
<quoted text>Oh my gawd how funny is mo ho. Does more good for the anti gays than anone else. Shows how narcisstic and self centered (besides just plain stupid) that self pleasing, self centered, skank, alley walking, transgendered, sausage cankle legged, back door tramp is. Whew! Need to wash my mouth after that.
Stupid, I said "IF that were the case, gay people would just marry a friend of the opposite sex." IOW, IF the only thing gay people were interested in were benefits, they would just marry friends of the opposite sex, and not fight for gay marriage. But, since there is a fight for gay marriage, it's clear they are not just interested in benefits, but in the actual marriage relationship.
Wow, you are dumb.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep marriage as is, one an and one woman; keep it simple.
Don't risk harming children for imaginary acceptance.
Rose's Law:
Morons with no real argument scream, "But what about the children!?
Brian_G wrote:
Demand acceptance because you are a human being, not for other political reasons.
Reason 21 for keeping marriage as is: KISS, keep it simple.
You got a divorce. That's hardly simple.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid, I said "IF that were the case, gay people would just marry a friend of the opposite sex." IOW, IF the only thing gay people were interested in were benefits, they would just marry friends of the opposite sex, and not fight for gay marriage. But, since there is a fight for gay marriage, it's clear they are not just interested in benefits, but in the actual marriage relationship.
Wow, you are dumb.
If they were interested in the actual marriage relationship, of husband and wife, they would marry someone of the opposite sex.

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

No no no wrote:
<quoted text>
F the majority? Wow, isn't that how Obama won, twice, by a majority vote?
OK so fudge the majority who voted for him!
Do you understand that?
LOL. You are so dumb.
No no no wrote:
The constitution does promise equal rights, but it does not mention having a legal definition having equal rights?
Was that supposed to make sense, or was it written by a random word generator?
No no no wrote:
A definition is just that and nothing more, a definition, and it can not deny anything, it's just a definition under the law of what the majority of society says marriage is, it does not refuse gays to marry or to be happy.
No ones rights are being violated,
A man's right is being violated, because he doesn't have a right to marry a man. That's a right a woman has.
And a woman's right is being violated because she doesn't have a right a man does.
No no no wrote:
all you want is to change a legal definition, by which the majority of voters in this country still want to be that marriage is by this legal definition, between a man and a woman.
Fk 'em. The Constitution promises equal rights.
No no no wrote:
Gays can and do get married all over this country in any way shape and form they want, and this definition has not stopped them from doing so.
And just a suggestion, if you want people, that is the majority of Americans to understand and be sympathetic to your point of view, calling them all "Morons" is not going to help!
What about "idiots"?
You're one.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
In what contact would you take the statement
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"
Signed by John Adams in the Treaty of Tripoli?
tell me the context other than exactly what he is saying
I do understand that you are BIG into interpretation, as Christians often claim the bible says things it does not say.
But tell me.. what context would you put that in?
This is the man considered the father of the American revolution, the same man that said this would be the best of all possible worlds were there no religion in it.
We can move onto Madison if you like, who coined the phrase Separation of Church and State ( later used by Jefferson ) if you are lost.
Our founders were politicians, and were outwardly Christian as the simple masses were as well, but expressed themselves quite frankly to one another on numerous occasions.
Big D.

Yes. I agree. Although Adams might have been motivated by ulterior considerations, he could have truthfully represented the United States to not have been "...in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" because the founders did not establish an "official" Government Christian church, as I previously stated.

Ronald

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

The US Supreme Court has found it's OK to register only 18 year old males for the selective service but not 18 year old females.

There is no gender equality right in the Constitution.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
A man's right is being violated, because he doesn't have a right to marry a man. That's a right a woman has.
And a woman's right is being violated because she doesn't have a right a man does.
[/QUOTE[

A man can marry a man if he becomes a woman first. A woman can marry a woman if she drops the "wo".
Fk 'em. The Constitution promises equal rights.
Not in everything Rosie. Only native born citizens can becone president.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Monterey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••