Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 200,930

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#183531 Mar 16, 2013
Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
Yes, and they allow ross-no-hope to say whatever he wants to, even if he attacks the children of the posters.
I hear you, she's attacked my wife too. Try not to take it personally, she has no rational arguments so irrationality is her strong suit.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#183532 Mar 16, 2013
Dont think so wrote:
<quoted text>
As you do on the voting process and the rights of individuals to cast a vote and that it will be valued and upheld when it is the vote of the majority! Screw political correctness! If the minority can supersede the majority vote we as Americans are in trouble and that includes you, because it works both ways, what goes around comes around as the saying goes!
We Americans are in trouble because IDIOTS like you didn't pay attention in high school civics class.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#183534 Mar 16, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I hear you, she's attacked my wife too. Try not to take it personally, she has no rational arguments so irrationality is her strong suit.
You are funny, Brian. Why don't you try stand-up comedy?
Filo Stanche

Sonoma, CA

#183536 Mar 16, 2013
The pope was trying to tell us that this was all the fault of the scheme that he and sarah pallin discovered together after viewing those videos that the Kock boys showed them those long nights in Roma. Even so they managed to discover that the food chain has been innoculated with fake estrogen. This goo strain has caused women to grow beards, become large and dishevelled and exhibit 'roid rage symptomatology. Men have shown signs of sports apathy, lost hair, grown breasts and large butts and guts. Together the two groups have become easy targets for take over by the Morons from Outer Space who have enjoyed this decay of wit and critical thinking as the Morons took over the government(s). The pope and palin were going to deliver a joint homily exposing the matter and to propose a mass world wide electronic marriage of gays to lesbians and other popular televised whoopy events to save the planet from those distractions that have kept the Morons from Outer Space in place. His Holness' special friend told all to the curia and you know the rest. There were four cruise liners with over 3, 245 people aboard each that were sailing to save the pope and sarah. These have each been stopped at sea and held for gahstly chemical de-programming and fake estrogen wipes and then returned to ports from which they did not disembark.
Geoff Myhron

Sonoma, CA

#183537 Mar 16, 2013
Filo Stanche wrote:
The pope was trying to tell us that this was all the fault of the scheme that he and sarah pallin discovered together after viewing those videos that the Kock boys showed them those long nights in Roma. Even so they managed to discover that the food chain has been innoculated with fake estrogen. This goo strain has caused women to grow beards, become large and dishevelled and exhibit 'roid rage symptomatology. Men have shown signs of sports apathy, lost hair, grown breasts and large butts and guts. Together the two groups have become easy targets for take over by the Morons from Outer Space who have enjoyed this decay of wit and critical thinking as the Morons took over the government(s). The pope and palin were going to deliver a joint homily exposing the matter and to propose a mass world wide electronic marriage of gays to lesbians and other popular televised whoopy events to save the planet from those distractions that have kept the Morons from Outer Space in place. His Holness' special friend told all to the curia and you know the rest. There were four cruise liners with over 3, 245 people aboard each that were sailing to save the pope and sarah. These have each been stopped at sea and held for gahstly chemical de-programming and fake estrogen wipes and then returned to ports from which they did not disembark.
`
You could be NUTZ or you could be right. That is a 50/50 chance that scares me plenty. WHAT CAN WE DO? The TEAPARTY knows and is the only party that does know and will stop all such from happening. This is because of all the regulations and taxation of the upper classes. They are upper classes and we are lower classes; the support level is the lower floor in buildings as in life. We must support the upper classes and it is only right that we pay a bit more to keep them. I dont know about the cruise ship stuff but it sounds strange but also maybe true?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#183538 Mar 16, 2013
I noticed you didn't address my comments.
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
they won’t last long, the tide has turned, the American dream of Justice, equality and freedom will ultimately win, and the tyranny of bigotry and ignorance will fall.
Yayyyyyy....marriage equality for all....no more bigotry and ignorance. Jody thanks you. Don't forget the marmalade skies. Those too will appear.
What is most interesting to me is how fast it is happening this time, as compared to history. They are falling so fast, and now that a majority of Americans are on the bandwagon in favor of freedom and equality, it will continue to accelerate.
Exactly who would've thought we'd have two reality shows featuring plural marriage families. I heard the Brown family even supports marriage equality for same sex couples.
It will still take some time, but historically this is very very fast.
But I have no doubts, love will defeat hate, right will defeat wrong, and justice will be done.
And everyone will live happily ever after. No more hate, war, crime, all because of legal gay marriage.
The downer twins

Kent, WA

#183539 Mar 16, 2013
Roudy wrote:
There it is. It will now go to the next level in the Federal Court System. Eventually it will be decided in the US Supreme Court.So sit back,relax, have a cold beer and watch the war of words continue.This issue will not be decided at the ballot box or on these forums. The judges will decide it and we will abide.
The supreme court will decide that Gays have the same rights as the rest of us.I would bet everything I own on that and I don't even have a dog in the fight.If you don't agree then you don't know anything about constitutional law
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183540 Mar 16, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
I noticed you didn't address my comments.
<quoted text>
Yayyyyyy....marriage equality for all....no more bigotry and ignorance. Jody thanks you. Don't forget the marmalade skies. Those too will appear.
<quoted text>
Exactly who would've thought we'd have two reality shows featuring plural marriage families. I heard the Brown family even supports marriage equality for same sex couples.
<quoted text>
And everyone will live happily ever after. No more hate, war, crime, all because of legal gay marriage.
So you have without a doubt lost the procreation argument and so are into Frankie's even more lame I want to marry my sister argument.

Good luck with that line in court :)
JustTheFacts

Covina, CA

#183541 Mar 16, 2013

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#183542 Mar 16, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
No one is making that claim. But no one is making the claim that allowing same sex couples to marry will increase any of those things, either.

Well, other than the "happily ever after" thing. At least to the same extent that human couples can capture that ideal.

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#183543 Mar 16, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose, why do you have a woman's name when everyone knows you a gay man?
Robert
Why do you post on other sites that you are gay?

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

#183544 Mar 16, 2013
bad wrote:
<quoted text>vive the confused fuckups a few yrs and cut of the kid supply and let them die out
Can you have your mommy proofread, I really have no idea what you are trying to spit out, I'm sure it's vile and vulgar. If you want to rid the population of gay people, then first you would have to wipe out all straight people that produce them. What other great idea's do you have, I enjoy the laughs.
MackRoMay

Covina, CA

#183545 Mar 16, 2013
I have to agree with you. I moved to Glendora, California 34 years ago and Glendora was a different town then.

I feel things are and will get worse since our city council is allowing more apartments and town houses to be build.

This will bring more overcrowding and crime.

Joseph Santoro

Judy Nelson

Karen Davis

Gene Murabito

Douglas Tessitor

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#183547 Mar 16, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Skin color had no conflict with the basic essence of marriage; a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior.
Duplicate gendered couples are not just an obvious distinction from diverse gendered couples, they are a direct defective conflict with the very basic purpose of evolution.
You have no argument for 'equal' rights. If you dumb down marriage to 'two people in a committed relationship', you immediately discriminate against other friendships and the number involved.
Smile.
So skin color had no conflict with the basic essence of marriage--except, of course, throughout most of American history. I mean over 400 years of anti-miscegenation laws certainly say something about how marriage was defined in the U.S.

That you find no problem with it now is simply a matter of you being born during a period when minority races were fighting for equality.

Future generations will see same-gender marriage much the same way that you see interracial marriages now.

Your argument about "dumbing down" marriage by allowing same-gender marriage is not all that different than those who believed mixed-race marriage would "dumb down" purity found in same-race marriages of the past.

I guess what I'm saying is that the world has heard your arguments in the past and it eventually decided it was a crock of shit. Mixed-race marriages were made legal and nothing happened. People didn't suddenly want to marry their dogs. Bigamists didn't suddenly get laws passed to make their relationships legal. No incestuous marriages were performed.

Your scare tactics are stupid and have been overruled in the past.
Tire Co Brake Don

Sonoma, CA

#183548 Mar 16, 2013
Hi,
The stuff about that pope in the cruise business sounds serious strange and a sure long ways towards nuts. But, if he was member of the TEAPARTY I could get it because I know from personal experience that everybody hates us TEAPARTYers for our belief that all of this here crap pought to stop and so we can begin again with no free lunch or rides for nobody. The family I work for dont pay no benfits and so I save everything I also take on side work and that is okay as long as I dont get caughtand my savings dont go for bail. I also dont like the idea of forcing gays marrying lesbians as that will piss em all off and then what have you got there? Forget them pope and join us in the TEAPARTY as we set the whole damn place right.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#183549 Mar 16, 2013
Geoff Myhron wrote:
<quoted text>
`
You could be NUTZ or you could be right. That is a 50/50 chance that scares me plenty. WHAT CAN WE DO? The TEAPARTY knows and is the only party that does know and will stop all such from happening. This is because of all the regulations and taxation of the upper classes. They are upper classes and we are lower classes; the support level is the lower floor in buildings as in life. We must support the upper classes and it is only right that we pay a bit more to keep them. I dont know about the cruise ship stuff but it sounds strange but also maybe true?
Are you serious? You need your head examined if you think rich people need your help.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#183550 Mar 16, 2013
http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/family/...
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have without a doubt lost the procreation argument and so are into Frankie's even more lame I want to marry my sister argument.
Good luck with that line in court :)
I said nothing about a goat, keep your sexual fantasy to yourself please. Thank you.

Whaddya know, procreation and marriage linked in a court ruling.
Here's an excerpt from a Federal judge's ruling.

But in his August 8 ruling Judge Alan C. Kay, a Reagan appointee, found that Hawaii’s legislature had a legitimate interest in legislating on behalf of traditional marriage.“Throughout history and societies, marriage has been connected with procreation and childrearing,” wrote Kay in his decision, which ran to 117 pages.“… It follows that it is not beyond rational speculation to conclude that fundamentally altering the definition of marriage to include same-sex unions might result in undermining the societal understanding of the link between marriage, procreation, and family structure.” He added that “to suddenly constitutionalize the issue of same-sex marriage ‘would short-circuit’ the legislative actions that have been taking place in Hawaii.... Accordingly, because Hawaii’s marriage laws are rationally related to legitimate government interests, they do not violate the federal Constitution.”&#8232;
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#183551 Mar 16, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/ culture/family/item/12416-fede ral-judge-upholds-traditional- marriage-in-hawaii
<quoted text>
I said nothing about a goat, keep your sexual fantasy to yourself please. Thank you.
But in his August 8 ruling Judge Alan C. Kay, a Reagan appointee, found that Hawaii’s legislature had a legitimate interest in legislating on behalf of traditional marriage.“Throughout history and societies, marriage has been connected with procreation and childrearing,” wrote Kay in his decision, which ran to 117 pages.“… It follows that it is not beyond rational speculation to conclude that fundamentally altering the definition of marriage to include same-sex unions might result in undermining the societal understanding of the link between marriage, procreation, and family structure.” He added that “to suddenly constitutionalize the issue of same-sex marriage ‘would short-circuit’ the legislative actions that have been taking place in Hawaii.... Accordingly, because Hawaii’s marriage laws are rationally related to legitimate government interests, they do not violate the federal Constitution.”&#8232;
Dude. Do you think gay marriage is going to go away? You can either adapt to reality, or you can go extinct.
Bruno

Westminster, CA

#183552 Mar 16, 2013
sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
So what you're saying is he couldn't out do your average of blowing and tossing salad for 60 homeless men in dire need of a bath per day for free.
STFU you HOMO... you suck

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#183553 Mar 16, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/ culture/family/item/12416-fede ral-judge-upholds-traditional- marriage-in-hawaii
<quoted text>
Did you read the findings carefully? "It follows that it is not beyond rational SPECULATION to conclude that fundamentally altering the definition of marriage to include same-sex unions MIGHT result in undermining the societal understanding of the link between marriage, procreation, and family structure."

Vaughn Walker, in his decision to overturn Proposition 8 (which outlawed same-gender marriage) found (among other things):

--"A parent's gender is not a factor in a child's adjustment. An individual's sexual orientation does not determine whether that individual can be a good parent. Children raised by gay or lesbian parents are as LIKELY as children raised by heterosexual parents to be healthy, successful and well-adjusted.

--Gay and lesbian adoption is widespread and is supported and encouraged in California law, providing evidence concerning same sex couples and parenting, with around 18% of same sex couples in California raising children. As a corollary, this provides evidence of fact that Proposition 8 is not rationally connected to improving parenting, since it makes no attempt to amend or revoke state approval of any aspect of parenting by non-married same sex couples.

--Marriage of other groups, controversial on comparable grounds at the time, such as race or ethnicity, has not reduced the "vibrancy" or importance of marriage as a social institution, although many people raised concerns of its degradation at the time.

----------

Proposition 8 supporters appealed. But Vaughn's decision was upheld by a three judge panel in Feb. 2012.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monterey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) 4 hr Downtown News 2,264
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 5 hr Just saying 15,988
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 hr J RULES 69,321
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 12 hr just a post 5,064
The inconvenient 17-year pause in global warming (Sep '13) Sep 12 Earthling-1 123
Carmel waste broker accused of bribery (Dec '08) Sep 11 gotti jr 9
Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Sep 10 refer13 1,513
•••
•••
•••

Monterey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Monterey People Search